• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

I'd love to try and play you again and see how our connection is. I remember us playing once or twice last year when Ultra came out. A bunch of us got on PSN and it was kind of funny because out of 7 of us, 5 either main'd or used Yun as a secondary(I think). I'm not sure how our connection was but I remember mine with Marz was ass.

I've been wanting to play more lately, I just want to avoid randoms in either Rank or Endless because I get too damn salty playing randoms in this game when things don't go well for me. I purposely avoid playing online for that reason alone a lot and my wife gets on my case when I do sneak back in because she sees how I can get.
Yah for sure my psn is dominus_what. I do get much saltier playing randoms for some reason too, even though in reality the matches don't matter. I don't know what it is.......

I turned on my 360 for the first time since like November. Only messing around in training mode but I kinda want to start playing again. Once USF4 comes out for ps4, I'll definitely be playing more often.

Good to know, I'll also be on the PS4 version. My subscription to Live ended in September I think and I never bothered to renew so that's why I've been a no show on Live since then.

Yah for sure my psn is dominus_what. I do get much saltier playing randoms for some reason too, even though in reality the matches don't matter. I don't know what it is.......

For me I think it's because I don't have a connection to the person I'm playing with. When I play with friends, I can still get pretty salty. But then we can talk about the match, talk shit to each other, or just vent about it. Even if it's someone I don't talk to much, it's at least someone I'm familiar with and that alone lessens the salt. When it's a stranger none of that happens. I start imagining shit like the person just wanted to be a asshole to me or some lucky dude random'd me and made sure to remember my name so he'll never give me a rematch ever again. I've put a few holes in my wall from playing this game, it's not that good for me lol.

But anyways I'm off Saturday through Monday and might be around really late during the weekdays. So if you're around during those times I can get on to play.

Good to know, I'll also be on the PS4 version. My subscription to Live ended in September I think and I never bothered to renew so that's why I've been a no show on Live since then.

For me I think it's because I don't have a connection to the person I'm playing with. When I play with friends, I can still get pretty salty. But then we can talk about the match, talk shit to each other, or just vent about it. Even if it's someone I don't talk to much, it's at least someone I'm familiar with and that alone lessens the salt. When it's a stranger none of that happens. I start imagining shit like the person just wanted to be a asshole to me or some lucky dude random'd me and made sure to remember my name so he'll never give me a rematch ever again. I've put a few holes in my wall from playing this game, it's not that good for me lol.

But anyways I'm off Saturday through Monday and might be around really late during the weekdays. So if you're around during those times I can get on to play.
Man, you don't even know. I think I fractured my wrist once when I got really angry because I slammed my hand down on the back of my chair. I couldn't use my left hand for shit for about 2 months. Hell, it hasn't been the same since

I probably should've went to the doctor

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Man, you don't even know. I think I fractured my wrist once when I got really angry because I slammed my hand down on the back of my chair. I couldn't use my left hand for shit for about 2 months. Hell, it hasn't been the same since

I probably should've went to the doctor

This game has a way of hitting a nerve. I'm playing a bit more lately but the second I notice that my mood is changing I take a deep breath and remember that I'm a grown man and that I'm playing a video game.

stn

I'm pretty sure Decapre is viewed as top 10 by most.

-Solid normals
-LP hands generally safe
-Amazing AA special
-Best two ultras in the game
-Good walk speed
-Has ambiguous herp derp
-Wrecks fireball characters mostly

mbpm1

I meant her normals being underrated. So good. Yeah decapre has pretty much everything if you play her right. Her mobility is great with her walk speed and teleport shenanigans. No corner can hold her.

petran79

Banned

nice play!

While I like playing SF4 offline, online makes it one of the most frustrating fighting games ever. No matter the result, if you can keep your composure online, this is a great feat in itself. I dont play FG online as much now. In M.Bison terms it is very psyche-draining!
You cant even pause!

I like to pick Makoto but in SF4 they made her so slow and hard to use!
Ryu in ranked, Makoto in endless for me....

mbpm1

I don't think shotos are a bad matchup but she can no longer do rapid hands in those matchups, so it definitely takes away a tool.

I was pretty sure she still could. It's just harder to space now. Gonna check

Edit: Looks like Ken can always punish it now. And if you can make it safe against the other shotos I couldn't quite do it. sad times

I was pretty sure she still could. It's just harder to space now. Gonna check

Edit: Looks like Ken can always punish it now. And if you can make it safe against the other shotos I couldn't quite do it. sad times
I actually don't know why I phrased it the way I did. I don't think she ever could do hands against shotos in the first place.

Marz

Meh that's not a super huge deal just have to play a bit different.

Shotos can't even throw fireballs against her which is a bigger deal than her not being able to use hands.

mbpm1

I suppose it's basically only as bad as losing one bullet in an armoury. She can still use them at will against most other characters anyway.

Myn

Been out of the fighting game loop for longer than usual, school and work's rough. I miss it. Anyone (mid/low skill like me lol) play on PC still? I heard netcode got adjusted over the holidays.

mbpm1

True, but Decapre can nullify fireball games without too much trouble especially with meter and her normals beat shotos on the ground. Walkspeed does seem to mean that she can put herself in the position to use her situational anti-airs alright too. Eh, what does the speed of the DP change besides safejumps?

Mileage will vary, but I think Decapre does alright vs the shotos, aside from Ken, who wrecks her gameplan.

Meh that's not a super huge deal just have to play a bit different.

Shotos can't even throw fireballs against her which is a bigger deal than her not being able to use hands.

True, but Decapre can nullify fireball games without too much trouble especially with meter and her normals beat shotos on the ground. Walkspeed does seem to mean that she can put herself in the position to use her situational anti-airs alright too. Eh, what does the speed of the DP change besides safejumps?

Mileage will vary, but I think Decapre does alright vs the shotos, aside from Ken, who wrecks her gameplan.
I might have to play against some better Decapre players but I do not fear throwing fireballs whatsoever. But I'm plasma chucking bastard and it's hard to deter me.

Spuck-uk

Banned

Does she have any normal buttons that beat shoto jumpin HP or HK? Genuine question.

mbpm1

Not really, you'll usually get trades at best with cr. hp.

But that's at the ideal angle, I feel like if you're looking for the space where they can get those angles you can try staying out of them/moving so they can't get the right angle. Even a few steps closer than they want means you can hit them with close st. mp.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Not really, you'll usually get trades at best with cr. hp.

But that's at the ideal angle, I feel like if you're looking for the space where they can get those angles you can try staying out of them/moving so they can't get the right angle. Even a few steps closer than they want means you can hit them with close st. mp.

Sakuras cr.Hp spoiled me so much :(

mbpm1

Cammy has almost the same normals, but with a much better AA in cl.HP.

My vote for the best normals in the game? Fei Long or Balrog tbh

Cammy can't AA with cl HP the way Ryu can with cr. HP though, right? And Decapre has more BS than Cammy currently so it works out.

I think it's a tie between Rose and Rog.

Haven't played in a while but entering a tournament. Is delayed wakeup universal and 11f?

Yes, also don't forget Cammy, Decapre, and Sagat have a wakeup offset of +1 and Blanka has an offset of +2, these are not negated and carry over with delayed wakeup. It is still 11F but these offsets are still in place, effecting some setups.

Grifter

Perhaps a long shot, but does anyone happen to have a list of the characters that are forced to block both hits of Akuma's s.hk on block?

Yes, also don't forget Cammy, Decapre, and Sagat have a wakeup offset of +1 and Blanka has an offset of +2, these are not negated and carry over with delayed wakeup. It is still 11F but these offsets are still in place, effecting some setups.

That's super helpful! Thanks!

Perhaps a long shot, but does anyone happen to have a list of the characters that are forced to block both hits of Akuma's s.hk on block?

That's super helpful! Thanks!

If your talking about his s.hk where he moves forward, I know a little about it, mostly what Blanka can do. I tested his options against this move when ultra came out. It's actually one of the reasons I use Ultra W for this matchup.

There is a 8 frame gap between the 2 active frames of each kick, blocking the first hit it is less due to the block stun, while I do not know the exact block stun frames, this is where the spacing of the move can make a minor difference. When blocked deep or very close, the move is very unsafe on blocking both hits, however, it has slightly least time to reversal in between kicks. The timing is very tight, but invincible moves on startup, 1 Frame throws(ex. Zangief's Ultra 1 and Super) can beat it. I honestly do not know if 3 frame reversals will beat it. Further out is safer on block after 2 hits, but is a little more open to reversals in between kicks, all the above moves can still work, (command throws can be iffy due to spacing/which version is used) and a few more reversal options are available, I believe some armored moves can work here, although the timing is still very tight. Which ones work I do not know off hand.

When I said I use Ultra W for this matchup, there are reasons, mostly overall utility. Most Blanka's will go Ultra 2 in this matchup however because that's what you normally use against shoto's. Akuma's tend to use this move up close vs. Blanka, as he has a hard time dealing with it. If he blocks it standing, he cant charge EX Up Ball in time, and any regular ball, even EX, are not fast enough to come out in between. On blocking both hits, Blanka really can't punish, not at all if spaced right. However, the first hit tends to hit on block when crouching, but will whiff on the second kick, in this case, or if the first kick whiffs, Blanka can get a free Ultra 1 punish. It can also punish poorly spaced sweeps, which Ultra 2 cannot punish regardless of spacing, and whiffed tatsu's.

Edit: While not that useful, and you will probably never see it, a preemptive coward crouch will cause this move to whiff entirely, and that move is special and super cancellable. I should really make a post about what kind of stuff Blanka can do with coward crouch, it has some absurd low profile capabilities.

Sorry for the late reply, while not the exact answer you were looking for, I hope it is at least helpful in some way.

Marz

The state of PSN at the moment:

IMG_20150214_110236_726_zps8dc77dcb.jpg

^ wouldn't show his face on XBL tho

had a guile rage quit on me because I out turtled him with Elena lol

just absorb all the booms, get U2 and gain meter bby

The state of PSN at the moment:

IMG_20150214_110236_726_zps8dc77dcb.jpg

I see the 2009 Chun was no where to be found in this room?

J/K Marz, I'd love to play you sometimes but I remember our connection on PSN being complete ass.

As for me I beat some dude in ranked who played Ibuki. He invites me to Endless. Honestly I hate playing Ibuki and I don't like the match up(with my main) but I play him anyways. He's body'ing my Evil Ryu so I switch to Yun. I struggle a bit at first but then I find some rhythm and beat him really bad 2 straight games. I try my luck with Evil Ryu again and lose. Then he bails suddenly. Whatever happened to the "last game" message dog? I would have appreciated that you know so I could put myself in the best position to win that last game and not feel salty about it :|

Top Bottom