• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Marz

I see the 2009 Chun was no where to be found in this room?

J/K Marz, I'd love to play you sometimes but I remember our connection on PSN being complete ass.

As for me I beat some dude in ranked who played Ibuki. He invites me to Endless. Honestly I hate playing Ibuki and I don't like the match up(with my main) but I play him anyways. He's body'ing my Evil Ryu so I switch to Yun. I struggle a bit at first but then I find some rhythm and beat him really bad 2 straight games. I try my luck with Evil Ryu again and lose. Then he bails suddenly. Whatever happened to the "last game" message dog? I would have appreciated that you know so I could put myself in the best position to win that last game and not feel salty about it :|

Haha.

Its more just my connection because I have Comcast unfortunately. I need that Google Fiber.

Also I hate people that leave suddenly like that.

I see the 2009 Chun was no where to be found in this room?

J/K Marz, I'd love to play you sometimes but I remember our connection on PSN being complete ass.

As for me I beat some dude in ranked who played Ibuki. He invites me to Endless. Honestly I hate playing Ibuki and I don't like the match up(with my main) but I play him anyways. He's body'ing my Evil Ryu so I switch to Yun. I struggle a bit at first but then I find some rhythm and beat him really bad 2 straight games. I try my luck with Evil Ryu again and lose. Then he bails suddenly. Whatever happened to the "last game" message dog? I would have appreciated that you know so I could put myself in the best position to win that last game and not feel salty about it :|
Well it's possible he left because you switched characters after you won. I know that makes me more upset than anything else and will basically guarantee you will not beat me again that set because I will start playing like an absolute dick.

I don't mind if someone switches after winning if they've beaten me AT LEAST 3 times with that character. I'd prefer 5 but I can understand switching after 3. But if you switch after 1 or 2 wins, you are in for a shit storm.

Well it's possible he left because you switched characters after you won. I know that makes me more upset than anything else and will basically guarantee you will not beat me again that set because I will start playing like an absolute dick.

I don't mind if someone switches after winning if they've beaten me AT LEAST 3 times with that character. I'd prefer 5 but I can understand switching after 3. But if you switch after 1 or 2 wins, you are in for a shit storm.

I dunno, if I perfected someone or did outrageously good in 1 or 2 sets, I'd switch. I'd only stay if it seemed like you were putting up a fight.

I dunno, if I perfected someone or did outrageously good in 1 or 2 sets, I'd switch. I'd only stay if it seemed like you were putting up a fight.
Well I think that's more of the ranked mentality. As I've mentioned I'm more of a long set guy. Perfects don't really mean much to me unless I get a double perfect. Everyone is victim to a perfect every now and again and some characters can just easily pull perfects out of their ass. If a Seth player or Ibuki player gets a perfect on me I don't care in the slightest because it's just the nature of the characters.

If I completely body someone in a match I will always give them that runback. If I do it a second time then they will get one more chance unless they switched characters, then I will give them another 2 chances and then I switch.

Hey just saying... you might not see me at my best in 2 freaking games. You might beat me convincingly 4 times in a row and then I will stomp you 15 times straight. It's definitely happened to me on both sides of the coin.

It really just depends on my playstyle that day.

Sometimes it's tournament play
Sometimes it's long play
Sometimes it's complete wtf madness.

If ultra goes on sale sometime soon on PS3 or if you get it on ps4 then we can do battle of the T.Hawk's. And you can make me salty and leave after one match :p

I switched because Evil Ryu is my main and I wanted to see if I could do better with him than I did in the first 3 matches. I didn't so I planned on going back to Yun and the dude just left. It leaves a sour taste in my mouth because I get the feeling he just wanted to leave with a W.

Doesn't mean that's the case but that's what my salt tells me lol. Plus he invited me in the first place, so it would have been nice to let me know that he wanted to take off.

Marz

I switched because Evil Ryu is my main and I wanted to see if I could do better with him than I did in the first 3 matches. I didn't so I planned on going back to Yun and the dude just left. It leaves a sour taste in my mouth because I get the feeling he just wanted to leave with a W.

Doesn't mean that's the case but that's what my salt tells me lol. Plus he invited me in the first place, so it would have been nice to let me know that he wanted to take off.

Sounds like the worst kind of person. Gimme his gamertag so I can beat him up in 2 games and then kick him.

mbpm1

If I win once I leave but otherwise I always play people until I win then I leave.

Kappa

Marz

God I hate ranked sometimes.

If I lose to somebody with low PP I lose like 120 points.

If I win, I get 1 point. Nvm that most of the 0 PP people are usually really good and have been playing for years.

I'll win like 10 matches in a row and then lose 1 and actually have lost PP wtf man.

hitsugi

God I hate ranked sometimes.

If I lose to somebody with low PP I lose like 120 points.

If I win, I get 1 point. Nvm that most of the 0 PP people are usually really good and have been playing for years.

I'll win like 10 matches in a row and then lose 1 and actually have lost PP wtf man.

Sounds about right.. Which is why ranked is a straight up grind. Pick Adon and just demolish people.

I played for a few hours earlier and went through something pretty similar. Beat a bunch of low ranked players, but eventually lost to someone in the 1000 range and ended up much lower than before. And I started the day at 2955 with the goal of reaching 3k and calling it quits. But I start off with a 4 game losing streak to similar skill opponents with all of them I think being pretty close matches. I think I got as low as 2400 something and got it back it to 2800+ before calling it quits because if things go bad again who knows how long I would have played to try and make up for it.

At least toward the end of my session I ran into this Balrog again that beat me earlier with only 500pp/bp. Except this dude actually knows what he's doing though and as usual, I can't seem to beat Balrog with Evil Ryu. This time I went to my 0 BP Seth and got his ass back. No rematch this time, I won last and was outta there.

xCobalt

I am looking for a decent stick for both PS3 and PS4. Anyone know if this is any good?

http://www.play-asia.com/real-arcad...tion4-playstation3-paOS-13-49-en-70-8hwv.html

Again, it has to work for both PS3 and PS4. Thanks.

I did a bit of research on this. I think the only problem is that the buttons are a bit stiffer compared to Madcatz TEs. If this is your first stick, it might not be a problem. Other than that, it seems to be pretty good. I'll probably be buying this stick in the future and switch over the buttons from my old stick.

FireSol

I have a question, how is matchmaking on PC works or does it work at all? I'm just start playing the game and I'm completely understand that im noob and need to learn alot, but the game balance me against ppl with MUCH higher rating and I cant do anything against them

Glass Joe

I have a question, how is matchmaking on PC works or does it work at all? I'm just start playing the game and I'm completely understand that im noob and need to learn alot, but the game balance me against ppl with MUCH higher rating and I cant do anything against them

I'm a noob too. I figure with the many editions of SFIV that have come out since 2008, a lot of the active players have years of experience over me! Especially since I never played much of SF3, just mainly SF2 in the SNES days.

To answer your question, I think it matches by Player Points (overall), not Battle Points (character specific). Player points are VERY easy to lose while battle points typically just go up over time. That's why you can get matched up to a "B" rated player... They're actually only rated "B" for that particular character, however their overall player points are low because they've lost matches lately with them and other characters. Personally I wonder if the system should be reversed.

So is Rolento officially the most annoying character in the game?

depends.

day one rolento? why sure buddy, just keep walking into my standing roundhouse all day.

3k bp+ or someone with good execution? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck why does he link off everything!?

petran79

Banned
I wish I was a keyboard warrior.
switched to arcade stick and became even slower

I am getting demolished! But at least I avoid mashing....

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Stupid question alert. I'd gotten Super Street Fighter IV on Steam a while ago, and noticed that it now shows as Ultra Street Fighter IV in my library. However, when I fire up the game I'm not seeing characters like Decapre, Poison, Huge, Rolento, or Elena. Is there something special that I need to do in order to have access to them?

Edit: Nevermind, looks like there is an actual upgrade DLC. The labeling in the Steam library is just very misleading. >_<

So is Rolento officially the most annoying character in the game?

My top 5 annoying list in no particular order

Fuerte
Blanka
Rolento
Ibuki
Decapre

Honorable mentions: Viper, Dhalsim, Rose, you know what, everybody else. Just about every character in this freaking game has at least one thing that irritates the fuck out of me.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
If you want games better to ask people in the PXG chat. Besides two people I don't think any other gaffers on my list plays this anymore. Too many games out there and many people are waiting for SFV.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Ultra on PS4 will give it some rebirth for a while depending on how it is. Hopefully they don't port the PS3 version over and just made it more fancy. And yeah I'm sick of lag even if I don't say it.

Marz

Fuerte
Blanka
Rolento
Ibuki
Decapre

Honorable mentions: Viper, Dhalsim, Rose, you know what, everybody else. Just about every character in this freaking game has at least one thing that irritates the fuck out of me.

What annoys you about Sagat?

Just had a 6 hour offline session. There's a really good Sakura player in my local scene and I'm starting to figure out the MU bit by bit. Things like whiff punishing and frame traps to actually open up patient players are like foreign concepts to me and its awesome to see my progress in these areas.

Sakuras cr.mk buffer heavy dp is some BS by the way.

Ultra on PS4 will give it some rebirth for a while depending on how it is. Hopefully they don't port the PS3 version over and just made it more fancy. And yeah I'm sick of lag even if I don't say it.

I'm guessing they'll port over the PC version since PC architecture is similar to PS4 architecture. Unless I'm mistaken, Sony games with online play are normally known for having good netcode. Since a Sony team is handling the port, maybe they'll do a better job that Capcom has in this area. So as long as the port of the game itself turns out good, we may have the best version of the game to come to close out the end of the SF4 era. At least that's what I'm hoping for since I'm getting it.

What annoys you about Sagat?

Probably more than anything else it's the safe knees when spaced right. Safe on block, breaks armor, and sends you flying full screen when they connect. I know they're not free and can get Sagat players punished, but still annoying to me.

Fuerte
Blanka
Rolento
Ibuki
Decapre

Ibuki and Seth are hands down the most annoying pieces of fuck in the game in my opinion. Ibuki more than Seth though.

"Oh did I knock you down? Well good fucking luck lololololololol."

Every other character in the game I can tolerate probably because I have a counter for everyone else.

petran79

Banned
from now on I'll use exclusively Windows XP for that game. Windows 7 makes game unplayable on the same system. Lag spikes even in offline mode appeared out of nowhere!
Windows XP has almost GFWL netcode

Marz

Probably more than anything else it's the safe knees when spaced right. Safe on block, breaks armor, and sends you flying full screen when they connect. I know they're not free and can get Sagat players punished, but still annoying to me.

Oh yea knees are pretty irritating after you've worked to get in and you lose all your positional advantage. At least the second hit only does 40 DMG.

EX knee is the only cheap thing I would say Sagat has.

Marz

I add halfscreen kara dp to the list.

I feel like that's just strong, not cheap. Sagat is designed around keeping people from jumping yet people do it anyways, then complain when they eat 5 tiger uppercuts a match.

Like Zangiefs SPD is very strong and its scary, but its not what I would call "cheap". Same with Rog dash punch and Honda headbutt etc.

I hope they keep nerfing Sagat

Fuck it, would still be uppercutting.

Guy should be buffed, give him back his anti air crouching MP

can't do shit vs rolento cause if he doesn't beat me out outright, it's a trade. get put in the corner and then it's a barrage of attacks with little options.

cackhyena

I'm guessing they'll port over the PC version since PC architecture is similar to PS4 architecture. Unless I'm mistaken, Sony games with online play are normally known for having good netcode. Since a Sony team is handling the port, maybe they'll do a better job that Capcom has in this area. So as long as the port of the game itself turns out good, we may have the best version of the game to come to close out the end of the SF4 era. At least that's what I'm hoping for since I'm getting it.

Really hope that's the case, because I think the PC version is forever fucked. I would finally plunk down the money on a PS4 stick and play Ultra on PS4 while waiting for the new hotness.

hitsugi

Guy should be buffed, give him back his anti air crouching MP

can't do shit vs rolento cause if he doesn't beat me out outright, it's a trade. get put in the corner and then it's a barrage of attacks with little options.

Yeah that was a really strange nerf for him. People have resorted to c.MK for anti-air but that's really just to dodge moves rather than... anti-air.

mbpm1

-3 on block if not spaced properly tho

eat an uppercut FADC ultra for getting to close, not to mention its easily focusable.

It's not hard to space outside that range I've found. Even as a Ken player it's tough to really hit at any range outside of where Rog would be sweeping/footsieing anyway It's neutral jump/focus bait though, but if you're not doing that then it's fast and relatively safe.

stn

Honestly, characters like Fuerte wouldn't be annoying if long-range zoning and poking worked like its supposed to. Its just so damn hard to play an "honest" character and stay grounded against characters with fast attacks that beat AA options. I've been using Yang and Rolento after maining Gouken, the difference is night and day. This game just favors rushdown characters, especially those who can alter their jump arcs.

Top Bottom