• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

joe1138

Did okay as Poison tonight, not sure if that's a result of my comfort level playing as her or players still getting used to her move set. Guess we'll find out in a few days.

Can't wait to go up against the XBL community tomorrow night (that's if I don't decide to hit up Wednesday Night Fights instead).

Onemic

Updated my Mallet Smash combos I've been doing in training mode for all you Elena's out there:

HP MS, c.MP xx MK Scythe = 312 dmg / 404 stun - meterless
HP MS, c.MP xx LK Rhino Horn, EX scratch wheel = 391dmg / 486 stun - 1 meter
HP MS, c.MP xx EX Scythe, U1 = 553dmg / 400 stun - 1 meter (corner only)
HP MS, c.MP xx HK lynx xx FADC, s.HP xx HK Scythe = 426 dmg / 570 stun - 2 meters
HP MS, c.MP xx HK lynx xx FADC, U1 - 521 dmg / 296 stun - 2 meters
HP MS, c.MP xx EX MS, c.LP, c.MP xx EX Scythe, U1 = 505dmg / 515 stun - 3 meters (corner only)
HP MS, c.MP xx HK lynx xx FADC, s.HP xx EX Scythe, U1 = 543 dmg / 506 stun - 3 meters (corner only)
HP MS, c.MP xx EX MS, c.LP, c.MP xx LK Rhino Horn, EX scratch wheel = 431 dmg / 562 stun - 3 meters
HP MS, c.MP xx HK lynx xx FADC, s.HP xx MK Rhino Horn, EX scratch wheel = 489 dmg / 616 stun - 3 meters

EX MS, c.LP, c.MP xx MK Scythe = 264 dmg / 372 stun - 1 meter
EX MS, c.LP, c.MP xx EX MS, c.LP, c.MP xx MK scythe = 320 dmg / 460 stun - 2 meters
EX MS, c.LP, c.MP xx LK rhino horn, EX scratch wheel = 332dmg / 443 stun - 2 meters
EX MS, c.LP, c.MP xx EX scythe, U1 = 466dmg / 370 stun - 2 meters (corner only)
EX MS, c.LP, c.MP xx HK Lynx xx FADC, U1 - 438 dmg / 279 stun - 3 meters
EX MS, c.LP, c.MP xx EX MS, c.LP, c.MP xx EX scythe, U1 = 400dmg / 460 stun - 3 meters (corner only)
EX MS, c.LP, c.MP xx HK lynx xx FADC, s.HP xx HK Scythe = 358 dmg / 509 stun - 3 meters
EX MS, c.LP, c.MP xx HK lynx xx FADC, s.HP xx MK Rhino Horn, EX scratch wheel = 409 dmg / 546 stun - 4 meters

The tiger shot nerf hurts, it hurts me bad.

I don't even play sagat and that just baffles me. I understand his arcade ultra version might have been a little stronger than they hoped but his console changes seem more like a response to people's win % with him and were maybe a little too far.

Raitaro

Haven't played Ultra myself yet (I'll wait for the disc), but am I correct in interpreting other people's impressions as a collective statement that the game is not balanced and full of small niggles and (input) problems? Or are people jumping to conclusions perhaps?

If the problems are indeed true, then I really don't get how Capcom can be releasing a game in which there are such obvious underpowered characters (like Elena?) after so many past updates and balance adjustments. You would also think that these would have been discovered in the location tests in Japan and then adjusted for this release, right? Or do they leave this in on purpose to stimulate tier discussions? Personally those always annoy me since I'd like all characters to be effective to some degree, but others seem to really get into labelling characters as bottom tier or god tier.

I'm sure they can do another patch at some point to try and fix things again (if possible at all with so many characters and systems), but this would defeat the purpose of the upcoming disc version being the one tournaments can use without updating things per console, unless they patch the game before the disc release.

Lemstar

Personally those always annoy me since I'd like all characters to be effective to some degree
They are.

As long as characters aren't literally all identical, tiers are going to exist. A state where the entire roster is very, very similar in power level while simultaneously being homogenous is not a reasonable expectation.

ZServ

I won my first ever ranked match in Ultra! Here it is. Gee Akuma's Ultra I does a lot of damage.

Http://youtu.be/aS2LefGC4Ek

Is it me or was that match laggy? It just looked very.. delayed? Regardless, that Poison throw in round 2 did INSANE damage. Also, be careful throwing out Raging Demon like you did in that second round. While I don't know Poison's air normals, most characters have an air normal that can stuff it, and that always sucks.

Regardless, really decent playing on your part. Mix ups were solid, bit more defensive than I'd play but if it works, it works :).

ZServ

I don't have Ultra yet, so I don't know, are the new trials in yet?

Either way, if you guys are finding that your execution is bad or you're bad or whatever, pick a couple characters you like and do their trials. It may seem like a waste of time, but it will tighten up your play.

Benslammin

Neo Member
It seems like they have cleared up the netcode for the PC version, but I still get that annoying cocaine addicted announcer bug.

I don't have Ultra yet, so I don't know, are the new trials in yet?

Either way, if you guys are finding that your execution is bad or you're bad or whatever, pick a couple characters you like and do their trials. It may seem like a waste of time, but it will tighten up your play.

they aren't in..

Supast4r

I have not been able to play Ultra yet because I preordered it though gamestop.com but I forgot my password. So I tried to reset but for some reason I have not been getting any email back to reset my password so now I can't reclaim what I preordered :(

So what is everyone think of the game so far?

Mike M

Nick N
I have not been able to play Ultra yet because I preordered it though gamestop.com but I forgot my password. So I tried to reset but for some reason I have not been getting any email back to reset my password so now I can't reclaim what I preordered :(

Try doing the Guest Order History and look it up by order number? That's what I had to do.

So what is everyone think of the game so far?
Fuck Seth.

(I haven't been brave enough to do anything online outside of training)

Supast4r

Haven't played Ultra myself yet (I'll wait for the disc), but am I correct in interpreting other people's impressions as a collective statement that the game is not balanced and full of small niggles and (input) problems? Or are people jumping to conclusions perhaps?

If the problems are indeed true, then I really don't get how Capcom can be releasing a game in which there are such obvious underpowered characters (like Elena?) after so many past updates and balance adjustments. You would also think that these would have been discovered in the location tests in Japan and then adjusted for this release, right? Or do they leave this in on purpose to stimulate tier discussions? Personally those always annoy me since I'd like all characters to be effective to some degree, but others seem to really get into labelling characters as bottom tier or god tier.

I'm sure they can do another patch at some point to try and fix things again (if possible at all with so many characters and systems), but this would defeat the purpose of the upcoming disc version being the one tournaments can use without updating things per console, unless they patch the game before the disc release.

I believe that they will update this game one more time after this because they can't get it right on the first try.

Supast4r

Try doing the Guest Order History and look it up by order number? That's what I had to do.

Fuck Seth.

(I haven't been brave enough to do anything online outside of training)

OMGGGGGG Thank you so much I never thought to do that.

On a side note is Seth that bad?? Did they leave his Dhalsim arms in?

MormaPope

Banned
Something really awesome happened today for me.

Trying to get into SF4 in the past year has been tough, because the only other fighting games I played were DOA and random Mortal Kombats in the past. I remember renting SF4 when it first came out and hated it, the ass whooping I received was painful. I've watched videos for beginners that go into depth, I read some stuff online on how to play, I've seen EVO and other fighting game streams.

I would go into training mode and practice enough so I can do a character's special 10 times in a row without failing, 20 times sometimes. When it came to online play, I'd get dominated. I started to get better, matches were always close, but I'd still lose. The few matches I did win were due to reading the opponent perfectly. Where I stole the pacing of the match and messed with the other person's mind.

Got into Ultra today, got my ass whooped hard for the first 3 or 4 matches. Decided to look into combos more on the SRK site. Then I read about how playing about Ryu is all about anti air and zoning, that without those things Ryu sorta falls apart . Then suddenly something clicked in my brain, "Use the strengths of a specific character correctly you fucking idiot."

I put tons and tons of hours into training mode so I could input any and all specials at whim with no mistakes, yet I didn't implement any of them correctly.

So, playing as Ryu, I would throw hadoukens out to bait my opponent, and then shoryuken them when they got ancy and jumped in every single time. If I read my opponent correctly, they would be completely outzoned, getting pelted with a projectile whenever they're coming down from a jump or dash. Using Ryu's crouching medium punches and kicks on the ground or air.

Essentially the most traditional Ryu playstyle there is. It finally clicked in my head that in fighting games the odds aren't equal. Of course I've known about tier lists for a long time, but I've always treated fighting games with the mentality that winning with any character under any circumstances is always possible. When in reality matchups really do matter, a lot.

I won 10 or 11 ranked matches in a row today, something that would be impossible for me to even consider happening. Yeah, more players means more bad ones in general too, but I would check the achievements or profiles of the people I fight, and they usually trumped me when it came to achievements or how many other fighting games they played.

Street Fighter finally made sense for me after a year of struggling.

Top Bottom