• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

oroboros

the "technical" message that shows was a real mistake- it allows folks to setplay- remove it and the unblockables become a guess.

Exactly, I really can't believe they make the message pop up so early to allow people to change their setup. It sort of destroys the point of the thing. If they just delayed the TECHNICAL popup until right before you get up or just after they stand, people would still know you had a habit of using it and can change their strategy based on that info, but it seems like this game is going to turn into nothing but getting knockdown and just watching for that stupid little message and more auto pilot nonsense like AE.

she's one of the most interesting characters in the game, all the "cammy clone" will be gone after you play her

I agree with you on that, I just wanted someone completely new. Not a reference to the lore of Street Fighter but a new entry like Hakan, Juri, C.Viper etc. We've got Cammy we've had Dolls(Juli/Juni) mix them together and throw in some Oni gimmicks = Decapre.

I don't hate Decapre and I consider her a welcome addition but she wasn't what I hoped for.

Exactly, I really can't believe they make the message pop up so early to allow people to change their setup. It sort of destroys the point of the thing. If they just delayed the TECHNICAL popup until right before you get up or just after people would still know you had a habit of using it and can change their strategy based on that info, but it seems like this game is going to turn into nothing but getting knockdown and just watching for that stupid little message and more auto pilot nonsense like AE.

Glad someone else noticed. I've been trying to practice delayed wakeups, only to find it telling me I did a technical...even though Ryu is still on the floor. I don't get it. That being said I never bother with those signs anyway but this is one of those instances where it's actually noticeable.

TEJ

Why is my HDTV's resolution going all funky when I play this? This is the first time it has happened to me.

the sound quality is taking a nosedive too

Haven't played Ultra myself yet (I'll wait for the disc), but am I correct in interpreting other people's impressions as a collective statement that the game is not balanced and full of small niggles and (input) problems? Or are people jumping to conclusions perhaps?

If the problems are indeed true, then I really don't get how Capcom can be releasing a game in which there are such obvious underpowered characters (like Elena?) after so many past updates and balance adjustments. You would also think that these would have been discovered in the location tests in Japan and then adjusted for this release, right? Or do they leave this in on purpose to stimulate tier discussions? Personally those always annoy me since I'd like all characters to be effective to some degree, but others seem to really get into labelling characters as bottom tier or god tier.

I'm sure they can do another patch at some point to try and fix things again (if possible at all with so many characters and systems), but this would defeat the purpose of the upcoming disc version being the one tournaments can use without updating things per console, unless they patch the game before the disc release.

The truth is, in game development, the game is given more playtime in its first hour of release than in its entire development process.

PhatSaqs

Banned
lol Ken RF fail.

ebW6S23.gif

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
pardon my noobness but how do you do the delayed wakeup?

"By pressing any two buttons when the character is slammed down in a hard knockdown (similar in the fashion of performing a Quick Stand), the character will take a few extra seconds to get back on their feet, disrupting the wake-up game of the attacking opponent."

ArjanN

Essentially the most traditional Ryu playstyle there is. It finally clicked in my head that in fighting games the odds aren't equal. Of course I've known about tier lists for a long time, but I've always treated fighting games with the mentality that winning with any character under any circumstances is always possible. When in reality matchups really do matter, a lot.

While it's cool that you learned to play Ryu better and have fun, your example doesn't really seem to have much to do with tier lists, but more with playing to the strength of your character. Every character still has ways around that playstyle.

Tizoc

she's one of the most interesting characters in the game, all the "cammy clone" will be gone after you play her

I never thought of her as that much TBH. Truth be told here's what my stance on her was up til Ultra's release:
Either she'll be good and we see her at EVO, or she'll bad-OK and we'll rarely see her being used.

Def. gonna try her out once I get Ultra come August though, but I doubt I'd main her haha.

Laconic

Banned
That's his max meterless (and if you read the post its actually less than AE2012)

For 2 meters you can bump it up to 335 (330 on a more realistic combo)

*edit*

oh and i might want to mention:

deejays cl.mk > far mp link, like the KBT mod, is character-specific.

Oh, I read it. I was just trying to be as positive as possible about the
lack of a
DeeJay situation.

Spinmastering, as were. I'd been playing around with D-Cam for a few minutes, and found the c.mp, c.mp fierce dp combo to be silly easy damage off of a confirmable low, is all. That it is in fact also an extended combo starter, is just lolelicious.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Chun really doesn't feel that different. She's cool though. Her lk and hk sbk juggles seem super character specific so far.
She doesn't have any hk sbk juggles anymore. Before hk sbk ex legs only tagged a handful of characters with really tight timing, but now hk sbk has 4 more frames of recovery.

mk sbk ex legs would have hit most of the cast with a few exceptions still, but lk sbk got less recovery so now it behaves like that would have.

Also, reading that Poison falls out of U1.

LakeEarth

So after all the bitching i c some of u are now liking Decapre :v

Just like Evil Ryu and Oni. Sucks at reveal because you realize we aren't getting an old fan favorite and that Capcom went the cheap route on character models, but once they are in our hands we appreciate how they play and how it differs from the rest of the cast.

Westlo

lol @ people not wanting technical to show on DWU, do you want ZERO reward for getting a hard knockdown or something?

Horseress

The timing was letting Ibukis react to it in the arcade version- is that still happening on console?

It's like I heard an Ibuki player say: "now you have to think!"

In AE it was a totally free vortex, now you have to think and react to the "technical" showing or not on the screen. I'm ok with this

Elena's battlecries are the worst. Holy shit, how does this get approved?

I switched to JP voice as soon as I booted up. Shits horrible.

Any Xbox live 1 month deals running? I can't find the 1$ deals anymore =/

Scrub Ibuki here looking for some online practice.

GG Kevo, unfortunately the lag was pretty damn painful for me. You know how you got all those jump ins on me? I kept trying to DP over and over and it would only come out maybe half the time. It was barely enough to be playable but horrid if you were trying to practice stuff or play seriously. As for Decapre, my god what is up with that hurt box of hers. Everything just kept whiffing lol.

GGs man. Yeah, I never really believed it, but to me it felt like there was a TON of lag on any stage other than training stage.
Thanks for sticking through it though, I wanted to get some experience with my 1-hour decapre against someone other than these bozos on ranked. I like playing her, I just feel like she needs a better anti-air, but she's a lot of fun. I feel like I'm playing a different game coming from Honda lol

oroboros

lol @ people not wanting technical to show on DWU, do you want ZERO reward for getting a hard knockdown or something?

Your reward should be from you observing your opponent and making good reads and not reacting to some popup message. AE was basically hard knockdown into guaranteed safe jump or unblockable or vortex: the game, so if that's the reward then no I don't want it even when it benefits me because it's god damn boring auto pilot coin flipping game.

MoxManiac

Is it too much to ask for the youtube function to be fixed on 360? Is this really an unreasonable request? Am I expecting too much?

rCIZZLE

Love the new feature on the ps3 version. The one where I get to stare at a "Joining Sesssion..." message for 20 seconds while someone else joined and they're already starting the match.

ShinAmano

Only got a couple games in...but is there a place online I can go to look at the new features and moves (how to) aside from the description in the open?

oroboros

This new memory reload system in training mode is awesome. So much easier and faster to setup and practice different situations.

And where do i go to setup the Youtube upload thing? I see the UPLOAD TO YouTube menu in options but it doesn't have anywhere for me to put in my YouTube account info or anything. How does it know where to send the videos?

Venfayth

This new memory reload system in training mode is awesome. So much easier and faster to setup and practice different situations.

And where do i go to setup the Youtube upload thing? I see the UPLOAD TO YouTube menu in options but it doesn't have anywhere for me to put in my YouTube account info or anything. How does it know where to send the videos?

It's available through the Replays menu. Once you get to viewing individual replays, one of the buttons will let you Upload to Youtube, and also set up your Youtube if you haven't done it yet.

It was really slick and easy for me to set mine up. Worked very well.

Top Bottom