• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Shouta

why are fools so thirsty for damage with decapre...most of her better options are defensive/mixup based, not offensive.

Im very interested to see who sticks with her for the long run (i know i am)

She has some high damage hard punishes. It's a bit surprising.

Onemic

Sweet, Justin's helping out all of us Elena scrubs on the SRK forums. Hopefully he can shed some more light onto how to make the most out of her.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
This game still gets me the saltiest when I play online. I really hate fighting people online because a lot of my block strings/frame traps don't work on psn with the slight lag and I end up getting jabbed out or dp'd. I just don't understand the online environment. I just need to find some people to just play some chill casual matches to play online.

Don't take it too seriously. It is what it is. I put myself in a mindset to not play at 100% because if you do and shit happens out of your control, that could set you off. So it's better to try and avoid that from the get go. Just think of online as a glorified training mode. Work on things but don't actually do your best.

Marz

Goddamn Hugo fierce air grab thingymajig can snatch peeps out of the air from like full screen.

Try to neutral jumps so you don't get SPD'ed? I don't think so.

This update is looking really good for grapplers in general. Refreshing to see.

Also Akuma is still really good. His ground game is significantly improved with cancellabke fierce and s.mk forcing stand. Not to mention red focus giving him more opportunities to land ultras.

Who needs vortex when you have that walkspeed plus air fireball, DAT sweep, uppercut, and a teleport?

Shackzam

Don't take it too seriously. It is what it is. I put myself in a mindset to not play at 100% because if you do and shit happens out of your control, that could set you off. So it's better to try and avoid that from the get go. Just think of online as a glorified training mode. Work on things but don't actually do your best.

It's kinda hard to do when my older brother is talking mad shit about me after each match. I'm used to it, but he sometimes gets to me. I really gotta play online without him around so I don't get a headache, but thanks for the advice.

Onemic

Just be aware that even s.mp is just a decent AA and it does very low dmg for an AA, so you might have to tag a jump happy opponent multiple times with it for them to respect your AA game and stay on the ground. If it trades you will never have advantage. Use s.lp for opponents that jump in at close range as it hits at a higher angle.

Just to add to my post earlier, c.mk is her only normal that can deal with crossups. Pretty much when the opponent goes for the crossup on elena and you see it coming, press c.mk.

c.mk will always whiff in this situation, but you want it to because the opponents attack will whiff as well and you'll be at advantage. Depending on how early you reacted to the crossup with c.mk you can either get free pressure(anything the opponent tries to throw out will get beaten by a c.lp done as early as possible) or you can go for a stand tech if you reacted late and reset the neutral game.

hypernima

Banned
Goddamn Hugo fierce air grab thingymajig can snatch peeps out of the air from like full screen.

Try to neutral jumps so you don't get SPD'ed? I don't think so.

This update is looking really good for grapplers in general. Refreshing to see.

Also Akuma is still really good. His ground game is significantly improved with cancellabke fierce and s.mk forcing stand. Not to mention red focus giving him more opportunities to land ultras.

Who needs vortex when you have that walkspeed plus air fireball, DAT sweep, uppercut, and a teleport?

Tbh, i'm glad Hugo is around because my ground game has improved heavily.
You can not mess up and jump vs him at all.

Clawww

It's just me. i figured out a way to punish but you know what. Blanka so safe that even when he whiffs a roll for some reason U2 did not punish him. I am just going to have to hold these L's of losing to braindead PSN Blankas.

or you could learn the matchup

ElFly

After trying Rolento in training mode...I have to say I agree with the earlier guy. Maybe with time I will be proven wrong, but Ultra Rolento is barely even a shadow of his Alpha 2 persona, where he was basically a god among men.

Slow, cannot control the wall jump (!?) not even using it with different buttons (!!!???), ill timed movements, pathetic dash (well he didn't have this in alpha, but it could have compensated his walking speed).

Maybe his normals are really good now but I am not really feeling it.

Ummm, so I just downloaded this ten minutes ago, played a few ranked matches then went into training mode.
Chose my characters, and the game has been stuck on the Vs screen loading for over 5 mins. Wtf?
Going to have to reset the PS3. Anyone else have this issue?

ElFly

Yeah, but theres no reason it has to take place in realtime. That just seems like lazy programming.

Well the other option is show you a black screen during the duration of the match?

It's not like the ps3/360 can encode video on the fly. And I doubt the consoles can render usf4 at more than 60fps.

Maaaybe if the video was rendered at 30fps?

Supast4r

Finally got another chance to hop online and was sad to see that there appears to be a bit more lag today then on day one. Also sad to see that I have dropped to 140ish Hugo on PSN. I know I will never be top 20 again :(

Is there any practical purpose to Hugo's super feint? The recovery is so long that I cannot see when it would be useful. It would be nice if he could cancel that end pose into one of his ultras, but you just stand there. I guess you retain the fireball invincibility, but if you were to run through fireballs you would probably connect with whoever threw it as well.

I also got the chance to go through the frame data app. It is a fairly nice resource, but could use some work. I would like to know what each move does for meter building. There is also stats for distance moved for dashes and distance per frame while walking. I would like to know what those units are. I don't think they indicate "big boxes" from the training room floor as I don't think they add up, but I could be wrong.

The app itself could use a bit of editing overall. There is an icon for dragon punch and reverse dragon punch, but Hugo's Backbreaker is listed as individual icons for Forward, Down and Down-Forward.
Yeah I agree the lag has been real in the last few games that I played. Add me if you guys have xbox live. My gamer tag is K1LLA INSTINCTZ

nded

Yeah, but theres no reason it has to take place in realtime. That just seems like lazy programming.

It's simultaneously rendering, capturing and encoding through software on machines that are nearly a decade old. Cut them some slack, fella.

JeTmAn81

Well the other option is show you a black screen during the duration of the match?

It's not like the ps3/360 can encode video on the fly. And I doubt the consoles can render usf4 at more than 60fps.

Maaaybe if the video was rendered at 30fps?

They could show the match sped up, as quickly as the system is processing it. Though that would likely take up too many resources so just a progress bar then.

But there are lots of effects in fighting games which slow down time. They could do the opposite as well.

OceanBlue

They could show the match sped up, as quickly as the system is processing it. Though that would likely take up too many resources so just a progress bar then.

But there are lots of effects in fighting games which slow down time. They could do the opposite as well.

What do you mean "the match sped up"? I thought the match didn't exist until it's recreated in replay mode due to how the game saves replays.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Theyre gonna have to patch this thing at least once again right? Just some of the hitbox issues alone warrant it. Not to even mention the Deejay /Elena/Rolento hatchet jobs.

Top Bottom