• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

El Sloth

Banned
Ggs direct_quote, Marz

Goddamn I love Hugo's doofy self. That anti-air ultra is nuuuuts

Yeah it's def in Rose's favor due to how hard it is for poison to get in easy. But once she's in it seems rough for Rose
I don't know, I think that may have just been me being too impatient instead of it being tough for Rose.

I'm in Denmark in Europe. But still, I can't find anyone even if I search for all regions, both in ranked and endless. So very annoying :p
Yikes, I'm sorry to hear that. I guess I can't blame people saying that PC AE is dead if it won't match them up with anyone properly :/ Although IIRC the patch to fix matchmaking hasn't hit yet, so it should still be region locked? I dunno.

I really don't get why you don't get an automatic win if the other player "leaves" aka. ragequits
I wish it did give you something for it. I had 3 guys ragequit on me tonight, it would have been nice to get something for that time, you know? Getting matched up with them again after they rage is funny though.

alstein

Of course PC AE is dead. Folks don't want to play old versions of games if they don't have to, especially when there are netcode issues to boot.

It should come back in August if the issues get fixed.

Exr

Hugo is so much fun when he works but in matchups like Sagat and Poison I get absolutely shitwrecked by fireballs.

I can't get over how giant Hugo is. He makes Hawk look like a child.

Hawk is so fun to play now though. Sagat and Gouken are still tough matchups, but certainly feel more doable. For some reason I cannot get u2 to come out though. I never had trouble before

And all the overlapping inputs with Hugo really fuck me over at times

Of course PC AE is dead. Folks don't want to play old versions of games if they don't have to, especially when there are netcode issues to boot.

It should come back in August if the issues get fixed.
It's an imprecise measurement since we didn't have numbers for GFWL, but AE is getting more players on Steam after the steamworks transition than it did before, even now that it got outed that the netcode had issues. 1300~ a day is still pretty good. By the way, thanks to Capcom, a lot of us do have to play the old version. :/

Trickster

Yikes, I'm sorry to hear that. I guess I can't blame people saying that PC AE is dead if it won't match them up with anyone properly :/ Although IIRC the patch to fix matchmaking hasn't hit yet, so it should still be region locked? I dunno.

What do you mean region locked? I've played americans before. But now that you mention it, I don't really seem to run into them after the pc version ditched gfwl

What do you mean region locked? I've played americans before. But now that you mention it, I don't really seem to run into them after the pc version ditched gfwl
For some reason the new steamworks version's multiplayer is region locked at the moment. The patch that's hitting this weekend-ish is supposed to fix that.

SoulUnison

Banned
Aaaargh, why is the pc version so fucking dead...It's bad enough that I have to still play AE, while console players play Ultra. But I can't even get a match atm :|

I don't think I've ever played a PC fighter/fighter port that didn't have severe userbase problems, even on launch days.

PC is where my friends are, but I don't think PC is where fighter-players are.

xCobalt

I can't get over how giant Hugo is. He makes Hawk look like a child.

Hawk is so fun to play now though. Sagat and Gouken are still tough matchups, but certainly feel more doable. For some reason I cannot get u2 to come out though. I never had trouble before

And all the overlapping inputs with Hugo really fuck me over at times

I was doing so poorly in the Hugo/Hawk matchup lmao. Day 2 Hugo and I have 0 matchup knowledge against hawk. The overlapping inputs are pretty annoying. I can never get a meatsquasher when I want it. I'm gonna see if I can adjust my own inputs. Since lariat and backbreaker are qcf and dp motions respectively, I'll see if a clockwise 360 input can get meatsquasher more consistently.

I'm so ass in this game :( im sad.

But I also main Fuerte which is a problem. I'm going to try to move to Rolento or Poison. So far I'm enjoying Rolento a bunch.

Shouta

T.hawk offline is soooo good. It's amazing how good it is to get real pressure and how fast Spire is. You get so much meter just doing it across screen, lol

It also helps defensively too, I found it a good deterrent to Bison doing random scissor kicks because it will lose or trade at longer ranges and that's in favor of Hawk. It also helps a lot against Rolento who will get beat out of the air in quite a few situations.

I was doing so poorly in the Hugo/Hawk matchup lmao. Day 2 Hugo and I have 0 matchup knowledge against hawk. The overlapping inputs are pretty annoying. I can never get a meatsquasher when I want it. I'm gonna see if I can adjust my own inputs. Since lariat and backbreaker are qcf and dp motions respectively, I'll see if a clockwise 360 input can get meatsquasher more consistently.
I love grappler matchups. I wanted to see what Hugo had answers for, which is why I kept doing condor dive. I was wondering what he could do until you jumped across the stage and grabbed me, haha. You taught me a little bit about Hugo and Rolento though.

I kept ignoring Hugo's fantastic pokes because I'm so used to 3rd strike and getting parried for trying to abuse them.

I enjoyed the Rolento/Gouken matchup a lot too. I think I need to relax on the j.mp and cr.mp, but no one has given me a reason to yet!

jlai

testing out the youtube replay feature-- takes forever to do it cause you have to sit through the replay twice for whatever reason, and one of them while it plays at 8x slow speed. this is for the "high quality" option

ranked match vs hsien chang

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Gouken has EX Tatsu FADC now which is pretty good. The only thing I don't like about it is that gouken will dash under the opponent if it hits. This will screw up your ultra buffer so you'll have to resort to sweep.

Oh yeah, of course.

Man, one evening in the lab with Hugo and already I'm forgetting the basics with Gouken...

Tizoc

So Rufus' EX Messiah Kick can be used as an anti-air, comboing into U1 seems to just dish out like 400ish damage.

alstein

I don't think I've ever played a PC fighter/fighter port that didn't have severe userbase problems, even on launch days.

PC is where my friends are, but I don't think PC is where fighter-players are.

Skullgirls it's not that hard to find a match- and that game is poverty status.

Skullgirls matchmaking and netcode are hella better than SFIV or KOF, that helps.

The reason there's little userbase on PC is because PC ports haven't been made in a reasonable timeframe (USFIV IMO 2 months is a semi-reasonable though still unacceptable timeframe)

Zakalwe

Banned
Was thinking of reinstalling AE on steam this evening. Downtime between game releases and have a few days off.

Judging by comments made here, is it worth it? I have the original SFIV on PS3 (can't remember if I added AE), should I go with that instead?

I've been spending some time watching USF4 matches on youtube. I think the vast majority are uploaded from consoles and not using any kind of capture card. Problem is that most of the players in these uploads are horrible. I mean beginner level horrible. Do good players not upload? And after all these years, I figured people who are hardcore enough to buy it day one should be at a adequate level.

alstein

I've been spending some time watching USF4 matches on youtube. I think the vast majority are uploaded from consoles and not using any kind of capture card. Problem is that most of the players in these uploads are horrible. I mean beginner level horrible. Do good players not upload? And after all these years, I figured people who are kind of hardcore enough to buy it day one should be at a adequate level.

online play , esp on PSN can make things stupid.

Also takes many folks a half hour to upload a match to youtube.

Masamuna

I've been spending some time watching USF4 matches on youtube. I think the vast majority are uploaded from consoles and not using any kind of capture card. Problem is that most of the players in these uploads are horrible. I mean beginner level horrible. Do good players not upload? And after all these years, I figured people who are hardcore enough to buy it day one should be at a adequate level.

I usually look up videos in the past week. For ae2012 meant I could find something good to draw inspiration from but now it's like I'm on chatroulette or something. I've never closed so many tabs from seeing hk pinwheel rip at the beginning of the match.

Back to searching via player name and subscriptions:-(

ArjanN

Was thinking of reinstalling AE on steam this evening. Downtime between game releases and have a few days off.

Judging by comments made here, is it worth it? I have the original SFIV on PS3 (can't remember if I added AE), should I go with that instead?

This patch just went out on Steam:

New Patch Available (Jun. 6th)
Patch Release Note:
Geo fencing no longer enforced in matchmaking query. Setting to [ANY] will query matches without any restriction. Setting to [SAME] will limit search to the same country based on the player's geo-location. (better ping)

Added voice chat mute option within the in-game menu.

Setting the BGM to 0 will now mute the music completely.

11th and 12th costume colors from vanilla SFIV is now unlocked for everyone.

Removed recurring prompt and need to install the redistributable.

Removed GFWL client install prompt.

Country flag placeholder will now display the neutral grey SSFIVAE logo instead of the Ultra SFIV logo.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Hot damn Balrog is solid as hell in this game. That -1 on Block/0 on Hit for his Light Dash is so good. The Hugo matchup isn't even that scary when you can just st.RH and st.HP him on the ground and j.HP and cr.HP for AA. Hell, even Yun is no longer a real threat. Abel however just got scary as fuck and I think that matchup just went 6-4 in Abel's favor.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member

Could you share some examples? There seem to be a few newcomers/late bloomers in this thread, so maybe it'd help to point out the blindingly obvious flaws in a few matches.

I'll post my first upload (also my first Ultra match) and hopefully get a trend going.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8No9PYWSoW0&index=1&list=UUJvViOYX0ChtQv7DqWR-fCA

I don't consider myself beginner level, but feel free to call me out on any "horrible" mistakes ;)

Onemic

Elena's U2 is actually really damn good, there are a lot of situations where you simply can't be punished from doing it at all. I think UCD is eventually going to be her go to Ultra selection with the exception of a few MU's.

U2 against a T. Hawk or Zangief is just lol. They can't do shit.

Just do HP whip of love after it does more damge and gives a hard knockdown.

If you are having trouble with that, the way to do the srk, is when you do the kick's input hold up foward right away, then on the way down buffer the srk motion then press kick soon as you land

Awesome, thanks for the tip.

Here's all the stats for that move

f.MP -> startup = 16, active = 10, recovery = 10, on hit = -1, on block = -8

hmm, you can't combo off that move? That's weird I thought it was possible.

Yeah, I've been trying various characters at different ranges to try and get it to connect. I still think it's possible but it's so specific it's not worth even trying.

Speaking of Poison, I just finished her Combo Video is anyones interested. I put alot into be being creative with her stuff. Maybe give you guys some ideas on her combo potential and what she's capable of.
Poison CMV

My stance has on DWU has nothing to do with my main character, she's not even that affected by it. I would rather have tech rolls than DWU because that's fair to the offense and defense.

But with the reaction to SFxTK there was no way Capcom where going to implement rolls in Ultra and instead we got some half assed DWU.

Even then I would prefer rolls after grabs like Third Strike.

Elena's U2 is actually really damn good, there are a lot of situations where you simply can't be punished from doing it at all. I think UCD is eventually going to be her go to Ultra selection with the exception of a few MU's.

U2 against a T. Hawk or Zangief is just lol. They can't do shit.

I played against my friends and decided to scumbag that Ultra (all in good fun though). It really is annoying and very good from full sceen.

TheMink

Have you been uploading? I want to watch YOU play more haha

airjoca

Anyone know how and when are we supposed to get the code for the extra costumes in Europe?

Also, for whatever reason trophies aren't working for me, and I get a message saying the Trophy could not be unlocked. Anyone else having this?

Roche

Goddamn Elana is frustrating to fight against, I have no idea how to handle her overhead stuff and that focus attack is just insane.

She's probably my worst matchup of the five new characters I gotta say.

Onemic

Goddamn Elana is frustrating to fight against, I have no idea how to handle her overhead stuff and that focus attack is just insane.

She's probably my worst matchup of the five new characters I gotta say.

If you're facing a low level Elena, simply stand whenever they start pressuring you if you keep getting hit by EX mallets. Elena does have a low game, but at a low level you probably won't see them doing a lynx tail either during pressure or during footsies as it is pretty hard to pull off execution wise. If you're facing a high level Elena that can actually mix it up then you just gotta read your opponents tendencies because from there it's straight mind games.

Of course if they're taking advantage of her cmd normal overheads during wakeup then that's just a pure guessing game.

Roche

If you're facing a low level Elena, simply stand whenever they start pressuring you if you keep getting hit by EX mallets. Elena does have a low game, but at a low level you probably won't see them doing a lynx tail either during pressure or during footsies as it is pretty hard to pull off execution wise. If you're facing a high level Elena that can actually mix it up then you just gotta read your opponents tendencies because from there it's straight mind games.

Of course if they're taking advantage of her cmd normal overheads during wakeup then that's just a pure guessing game.

Cheers for the advice, I'm just salty because I just got absolutely wrecked by a seemingly low-level Elana.

She has a pretty different dynamic than I'm used too I think, so I just gotta put the time in to learn the character. I think that was my third or fourth match against her so I probably shouldn't complain just yet.

Pompadour

Not playing Street Fighter since a month after AE's console release has ruined even my most basic of skills. I hope that any future Street Fighter game decides to ease up on link timing because they are by far my least favorite part of fighting games. I guess I better finally to learn to plink to bring my Dudley above trash level.

ArjanN

Not playing Street Fighter since a month after AE's console release has ruined even my most basic of skills. I hope that any future Street Fighter game decides to ease up on link timing because they are by far my least favorite part of fighting games. I guess I better finally to learn to plink to bring my Dudley above trash level.

Heh, I kind of feel the strict timing is somewhat of a mixed blessing, as it means even good players will still drop combos.

Tik-Tok

as far as i can tell her dp is the most damage. It doesn't really give the best setup though.

This is a bit late but yeah, so it's not a terrible option, but I think in the long run it'll turn out that slide is the better option because it will lead to more setups. LP Hands seems to be a good option if you're not hit confirming to just try to keep up pressure. I need to practice my hands execution :(

Top Bottom