• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Onemic

I think I've changed my stance on Elena, she actually is very viable, she's just sorta unorthodox in play style and will take a while to get the most out of her. Almost like gen in vanilla. Even though most of her specials are very negative on block she can make them safe and actually put her in favourable positioning to boot. For example doing her main hit confirm into her SS, against any character with an 8 frame or higher sweep not only gives you free chip and is completely safe but also puts Elena in her most favourable position, right outside most characters low forward range. From here she can go for a counter poke, ex mallet or just wait it out

My last match of the night I decided to play Decapre for the first time in ranked.

The match ended in such a hilarious way that I doubled over crying in laughter. I haven't laughed that hard in years. It hurt. It's like 1 or 2 AM or something, so it made it much more funny than it was, but watch it. Also, yes, Abel did wreck me in round 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJuIORxKGTY

Fake edit: I went to bed while it uploaded. No idea if this is still funny. Watch only the end and ignore how bad I am :) Have a great day!

Real edit: Apparently it uploaded in 240p, oh well you can still tell what happened. Nevermind, looks like 360p just appeared... huh. It's been processing all night... whatever.

More edit: It was really funny to me because my opponent was much better than me, but somehow I slink out a win. But what made it funny was I won in the dumbest way possible. Dat ultra 1 hangtime! Plus I was really tired, which makes everything 10x more funny.

xCobalt

Could you share some examples? There seem to be a few newcomers/late bloomers in this thread, so maybe it'd help to point out the blindingly obvious flaws in a few matches.

I'll post my first upload (also my first Ultra match) and hopefully get a trend going.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8No9PYWSoW0&index=1&list=UUJvViOYX0ChtQv7DqWR-fCA

I don't consider myself beginner level, but feel free to call me out on any "horrible" mistakes ;)

I'll give you some tips since I play gouken too. First, you need to block more. Anytime you were getting pressured you'd throw out a focus attack. If you were knocked down, you resorted to one of his reversals. I know ibuki is an annoying character but it's important to block.Second, learn his safe jump setups. After a forward throw, you can do dash > medium demon flip kick and it's a 4 frame safe jump. You can OS with EX tatsu and cover a lot of the opponent's escape options. Of course, this will depend on the matchup.

Try to avoid doing demon flip slide offensively. IIRC, even if it the opponent blocks on the last active frame, gouken is still punishable. All of gouken's demon flip followups are can just be crouch blocked so there's very little reason to use it. I use it sometimes in the corner as an escape option. People who are expecting you to use demon flip kick on wakeup will often be very close to your body so that the kick will whiff and crossover. However, if you do demon flip slide it'll keep tracking the opponent and make it appear as if you're gonna crossover but you'll end up staying on the same side and knock them down.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
So my roster is rounding out to Guy Rolento Yang. I might throw Cody in the mix just to round out my FF fetish since hes got more tomfoolery in his arsenal now.

MoxManiac

So 360 youtube feature is sorta working? I was able to sucessfully link my account and start the recording..but after recording a match it immediately starts the match over, except the second time it's ultra ultra slow, and canceling it cancels the whole recording. wtf?

vg260

So 360 youtube feature is sorta working? I was able to sucessfully link my account and start the recording..but after recording a match it immediately starts the match over, except the second time it's ultra ultra slow, and canceling it cancels the whole recording. wtf?

Am I missing something? I didn't even see the button prompt to initiate Youtube upload in the replay section. Just the quality setting in the options menu.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of Poison, I just finished her Combo Video is anyones interested. I put alot into be being creative with her stuff. Maybe give you guys some ideas on her combo potential and what she's capable of.
Poison CMV
That was beautiful. Very creatve and nicely edited too! Will definitely save for later and have a crack once I get tired of Hugo and Rolento.
I'll give you some tips since I play gouken too. First, you need to block more. Anytime you were getting pressured you'd throw out a focus attack. If you were knocked down, you resorted to one of his reversals. I know ibuki is an annoying character but it's important to block.Second, learn his safe jump setups. After a forward throw, you can do dash > medium demon flip kick and it's a 4 frame safe jump. You can OS with EX tatsu and cover a lot of the opponent's escape options. Of course, this will depend on the matchup.

Try to avoid doing demon flip slide offensively. IIRC, even if it the opponent blocks on the last active frame, gouken is still punishable. All of gouken's demon flip followups are can just be crouch blocked so there's very little reason to use it. I use it sometimes in the corner as an escape option. People who are expecting you to use demon flip kick on wakeup will often be very close to your body so that the kick will whiff and crossover. However, if you do demon flip slide it'll keep tracking the opponent and make it appear as if you're gonna crossover but you'll end up staying on the same side and knock them down.
Hey, thanks a lot! Yes I do need to block more. Think I was just over excited to be back online and as you say, flustered by Ibuki's potential danger. I ate way too many of those jump in target combos.

Appreciate the demon flip advice. I sometimes use the flip slide when in the corner like you say, but more often than not default to flip kick. Need to break those bad habits. It's probably painfully clear that I've never really taken the time to learn safe jump ins. Will get on that too and make papa G proud.

Some of these players are putting in time on this. Played a 3k Chun li. He whipped me pretty good but man that's a lot of time in this game

Shouta

Elena's U2 is actually really damn good, there are a lot of situations where you simply can't be punished from doing it at all. I think UCD is eventually going to be her go to Ultra selection with the exception of a few MU's.

U2 against a T. Hawk or Zangief is just lol. They can't do shit.

No, depending on where on the screen you do it and if you cancel or not, T.Hawk can get a full U1 punish, lol. Elenas were trying that on me in ranked and I'd just walk up to them or jump-in U1 when they did, basically negating the healing. I can also EX Condor Spire, I think.

K.Sabot

Why is Love Me Tender -1 on block?

Why give that big of a mixup tool to a character that has really good fireballs.

Not to mention that it's also an armor break and recovers relatively quick.

MoxManiac

Am I missing something? I didn't even see the button prompt to initiate Youtube upload in the replay section. Just the quality setting in the options menu.

Do you have the youtube app on 360 downloaded and installed? You might need that first.

It stopped working in the middle of uploading, so it's still broken.

That was beautiful. Very creatve and nicely edited too! Will definitely save for later and have a crack once I get tired of Hugo and Rolento.

Thanks dude. I had a free day yesterday so may as well make a Poison combo video. Trying to push her ability with hard links etc.

Why is Love Me Tender -1 on block?

Why give that big of a mixup tool to a character that has really good fireballs.

Not to mention that it's also an armor break and recovers relatively quick.

The mix-up potential is even funnier. Probably make a small video on her with that one move.

Frick me, dude.

Onemic

No, depending on where on the screen you do it and if you cancel or not, T.Hawk can get a full U1 punish, lol. Elenas were trying that on me in ranked and I'd just walk up to them or jump-in U1 when they did, basically negating the healing. I can also EX Condor Spire, I think.

I dont mean throwing it randomly during neutral. Something like backthrow, U2 or stuff xx EX SS, will throw a T Hawk or gief player too far for them to do anything to Elena even if she does the full heal animation.

EDIT: You're actually right, but the only way to punish her backthrow and EX SS setup is by immediately jumping and doing a condor dive. No other method will work. So looks like only Gief is free to full U2 setups.(off EX SS, to clarify. There are actually a few other characters that are free to her full U2 setup off back throw)

jlai

good match! what do you think of makoto so far?

Overall I think she's more or less the same. Got some new tricks/midscreen mixups with Ex Fukiage, but the axe kick recovery nerf and U1 damage nerf are pretty noticeable. To be fair, those probably deserved to be toned down since they were pretty good.

Obviously she gains a little due to the universal nerf to DP FADC being unsafe now as well. I think in the grand scheme of things her place in the tier list is about the same. She can still get dismantled to pressure from top players but on the other hand her explosive power could lead to frauding out wins as well haha.

Yeah its weird, I guess having to replay it is rendering it or something? I dunno why they have to play it twice. On the "low quality" setting it you have to sit through the replay at like 4x and on the high quality setting its like a painstakingly slow 8x or more slow. Takes forever so if I do end up uploading alot of matches I might just opt for the low quality one.

This is the difference between low quality and high quality.

Go to replay channel > battle log > and press X (on 360) to upload. You can only upload from the battle log and not from matches you save to your hard drive for whatever reason.

kodecraft

So my roster is rounding out to Guy Rolento Yang. I might throw Cody in the mix just to round out my FF fetish since hes got more tomfoolery in his arsenal now.

Where's Hugo then if you trying to do a FF fantasy. Cody, tomfoolery, how? He's my main and the most well rounded, real street fighter in the game.

FSLink

Banned
Man I've been using Rolento the past few days and he's tons of fun, but the lack of a dedicated reversal does hurt him. s.MP has like no reach and doesn't trade at the very least, s.HK is slow and doesn't reach as far as I'd imagined it'd be, and he doesn't have many good reversal options. This would be an okay weakness but it doesn't seem like he has good damage, and his mixup game isn't too amazing since I believe most opponents can just like jab him out of pogo setups. Runaway isn't too great either. :(

Other than him I've been trying out Rose, Elena, and Hugo.

GrayFoxPL

Oh man Hugo army is getting strong, I got destroyed by few today. Decapre seems invincible online, can't punish anything she does.

Also everyone is crouch blocking online, how is it possible to connect Guy's bushin string other then on blocked shoryuken? It's hilarious how useless this becomes online.
As I get close every opponent starts mashing down +lp, lk. Jesus, Guy needs better moves.

TheMink

Not playing Street Fighter since a month after AE's console release has ruined even my most basic of skills. I hope that any future Street Fighter game decides to ease up on link timing because they are by far my least favorite part of fighting games. I guess I better finally to learn to plink to bring my Dudley above trash level.

Link timing is the bane of my existence >.<

Anyone having a problem with Decapre Rapid Daggers?

If I go HP>MP>LP>MP>HP, it comes out fine.

But If I try like Honda's Jab > Hands (LP>MP>HP>MP>HP), it doesn't come out at all.

Anyone having a problem with Decapre Rapid Daggers?

If I go HP>MP>LP>MP>HP, it comes out fine.

But If I try like Honda's Jab > Hands (LP>MP>HP>MP>HP), it doesn't come out at all.

nope. jab hands comes out fine for me. i'm just having trouble learning lp hands, mostly because it feels so counter-intuitive, but cr.mk > lp hands seems to be the go-to poke

I <3 her hurtbox.
Yun can combo on her from his overhead (not counter-hit)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04-DpkNBg0k
edit: no wonder I couldn't do it in training mode

video description:
Yun's f+MK hits meaty on crouching Elena because her crouching hurtbox is very low. To test this yourself, you have to record Elena holding downback as it will lower her hurtbox lower than if you just set CPU to crouch. I hope Capcom fixes this! Please like, share, and subscribe! More USF4 videos to come!

Marz

GGS last night guys, Rose and Yun definitely feel better.

Would have liked to play Q's Poison some more, haven't ran into any decent ones besides him. Seems like Sagat wins the zoning war in that MU even with kitten shot nerf.

Lol at Sagat-Hugo matchup. I like only use standing roundhouse vs. all the trash ones.

Onemic

Well that just makes a bad MU even worse lol. Yun is the only character in the game that can meterless punish her U2 Cancel setup. All he needs to do is an immediate mp lunge punch off a back throw or EX SS.

I'm fine with it though because her hurtbox has way more benefits than it does faults.

Hopefully with the August patch/Release they also fix some of the bugs. Especially Decapre's U1 slowing down the frame rate greatly.

And fix Elena's many inconsistencies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04-DpkNBg0k
edit: no wonder I couldn't do it in training mode

video description:
Yun's f+MK hits meaty on crouching Elena because her crouching hurtbox is very low. To test this yourself, you have to record Elena holding downback as it will lower her hurtbox lower than if you just set CPU to crouch. I hope Capcom fixes this! Please like, share, and subscribe! More USF4 videos to come!
lol somehow I'm not surprised that something that ends up being a pain for a lot of characters ends up being an advantage for Yun.

Top Bottom