• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Morris

Disco Devil
I'm not very good, but I'm enjoying Poison. She makes me want attempt to properly learn how to play again.

I like how her fireballs work. I get great satisfaction of using the right speed of a fireball to trick the opponent into jumping on it, and trying to create some tricky situations using the slow fireball.

If you catch someone in the air with a fireball you can reset them with a normal like st HP/cr MK/ st HK into stuff like more fireball pressure. Landing that reset is so satisfying.

Her hitbox is smaller than cammys for some reason

Cammy has a small hurt box? Playing as Evil Ryu, I can get stuff to work on her that doesn't work on most of the cast. Decapre on the other hand, WTF is up with that hurt box. Unless you're almost point blank, you can't do your jab jab, medium, special move combo. I have to try and remember to do certain combos just for her.

As for Elena, I've only faced 2 so far I think. I'm even more confused about her than I am Decapre who everybody seems to playing right now. It's like a Blanka thing where it looks like she is crouching all the time and I'm afraid to go for certain combos that only hits standing opponents the few times I've played her.

Cammy has a small hurt box? Playing as Evil Ryu, I can get stuff to work on her that doesn't work on most of the cast. Decapre on the other hand, WTF is up with that hurt box. Unless you're almost point blank, you can't do your jab jab, medium, special move combo. I have to try and remember to do certain combos just for her.

As for Elena, I've only faced 2 so far I think. I'm even more confused about her than I am Decapre who everybody seems to playing right now. It's like a Blanka thing where it looks like she is crouching all the time and I'm afraid to go for certain combos that only hits standing opponents the few times I've played her.

Yeah Decapre's hurt box is the only one that really bothers me. I feel it should definitely be the same as Cammy's. I accept Elena's. It gives her a unique advantage. I don't understand people complaining about Hugo's. It seems fine, other than the whole can't hit him with a focus attack during stun.

Threi

notag
Basically my decapre experience had been:

"I wonder if this works"

*tries it*

"Oh i guess it does work"

Also loving how damn near every normal can link into every other normal. Reminds me of SFEX excel combos haha. Just push some buttons and watch magic happen.

I've been playing alot today. Either ps3 online is dropping alot of inputs or my ds3 is about to die. Sucks.

Alot of dekappas online. Saucy. Ive been rotating Elena, rose and Deejay. Good times so far. Will go back to adon and gief next week maybe. Or have a 5 character rotation. Heh.

I've been disconnected from XBL 3 times already today and I have no idea why.

Getting annoying.. probably a sign to turn my xbox off
Also loving how damn near every normal can link into every other normal. Reminds me of SFEX excel combos haha. Just push some buttons and watch magic happen.

Guess you never played Cammy

I've been playing alot today. Either ps3 online is dropping alot of inputs or my ds3 is about to die. Sucks.

Alot of dekappas online. Saucy. Ive been rotating Elena, rose and Deejay. Good times so far. Will go back to adon and gief next week maybe. Or have a 5 character rotation. Heh.

We play the exact same characters.

Onemic

I've been disconnected from XBL 3 times already today and I have no idea why.

Getting annoying.. probably a sign to turn my xbox off

Same thing happened to me on PSN. I lost a good 200pp because of it.

I'm trying to get the completely empty title of number one Elena in Canada on PSN. Currently in the top 40 overall on PSN, gotta get to grinding.

And Decapre is most definitely the most popular new character of the 5. In fact she's the most popular chracter in ranked right now, every 4 or so games another decapre appears. Poison comes in second, Hugo third, Rolento fourth, and Elena last.

I realize it's probably because I've been playing nobody but D or C level players, but how does nobody know how to fight Hawk? I've been doing dumb shit for the fun of it, and I've only been punished a handful of times. Most of those times by the same Juri player.

mbpm1

I realize it's probably because I've been playing nobody but D or C level players, but how does nobody know how to fight Hawk? I've been doing dumb shit for the fun of it, and I've only been punished a handful of times. Most of those times by the same Juri player.

Condor Spire all day?

Onemic

dat gun

wanna play some sets? I think its time for me to learn that MU

ninja, like 3-5 people used Hawk online from Super -> Ultra

alstein

Plenty of folks know how to fight Hawk. Some chars still really give Hawk a rough time- some of the buffs to standing strongs really hurt Hawk.

What's the ridiculous part?

Go to about 2:48 and see how far his Ultra reaches now. It use to be about half screen I think. Now it's nearly full screen or maybe it is full screen. I always chuck fireballs at Dudley when I'm near full screen because I'm not worried about his Ultra from that range. But now it's a different story, it's basically another Chun/Adon Ultra now. Capcom continuing to say "Fuck you" to fireball characters.

mbpm1

The part where it literally goes full screen in the blink of an eye. Old U1 would of never punished a fullscreen devils reverse or teleport to the complete opposite side of screen.

Oh okay, yeah, they really hate zoning in this game.

M3z_

It's pretty silly. The amount of rounds I have one by willingly walking to absolute fullscreen just to some fireball character things they can fireball only to get U1'd is ridiculous.

Marz

It's pretty silly. The amount of rounds I have one by willingly walking to absolute fullscreen just to some fireball character things they can fireball only to get U1'd is ridiculous.

Its pretty stupid. Against Abel/Dudley/Cammy/Adon/Rolento I'll literally sit there and do nothing while they walk back and forth buffering ultra

Westlo

And Decapre is most definitely the most popular new character of the 5. In fact she's the most popular chracter in ranked right now, every 4 or so games another decapre appears. Poison comes in second, Hugo third, Rolento fourth, and Elena last.

Hakan Reveal - THIS CHARACTER IS AWESOME
Hakan reality - fuck all played him

Decapre Reveal - WORST FIGHTING GAME CHARACTER EVER
Decapre reality - So many decapres.

M3z_

Its pretty stupid. Against Abel/Dudley/Cammy/Adon/Rolento I'll literally sit there and do nothing while they walk back and forth buffering ultra

Cammy's ultra sucks at going through fireballs compared to 90% of fireball invincible ultras.

nikos

Anyone else having trouble uploading to YouTube? The replay plays once, then a second time, but in super slow motion, causing me to abort.

M3z_

Why would you throw a fireball from fullscreen against someone with an anti-projectile ultra?

Too be fair most anti fireball ultras don't work fullscreen. Most are designed for 3/4 screen and in. Fullscreen is pretty severe, the speed required to do it fullscreen also means you can react later the closer in you are.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Beef let's play

Onemic

-10 on block tho

It's actually only -1 if perfectly spaced LOL

I was trying to get the spacing down against Beef's Hawk, but he kept walking forward and messing it up, then I'd get SPD'd :(

Spacing it correctly against a character that walks forward pretty much requires you to do it 3/4 of the screen away.

I'll sign up for the tourney as well if it isnt too late.

Westlo

Cammy's ultra sucks at going through fireballs compared to 90% of fireball invincible ultras.

It's pretty good compared to Ken's U2. Cammy's U1 is fine as an anti fireball ultra, it shouldn't be as good as the charge character anti fireball ultras like chun and decapre... but dudleys now, god damn..

GGs to Onemic and Q.
It's actually only -1 if perfectly spaced LOL

I was trying to get the spacing down against Beef's Hawk, but he kept walking forward and messing it up, then I'd get SPD'd :(

Spacing it correctly against a character that walks forward pretty much requires you to do it 3/4 of the screen away.

I'll sign up for the tourney as well if it isnt too late.

Man that slide is weird. I can SPD it for free if I block it, but for whatever reason my jabs don't come out quick enough to hit it after a block.

I kept messing up my reactions to your condor dives :( It's a free ultra every time

Is her U1 the projectile one? Because I can at least EX Dive that!
Well SPD's are faster than jabs.....

No, I mean that for whatever reason Hawk will stay in block stun if I go for a jab, but there's practically none at all if I go for an SPD. I don't think 3 frames is THAT giant of a speed leap.

No, I mean that for whatever reason Hawk will stay in block stun if I go for a jab, but there's practically none at all if I go for an SPD. I don't think 3 frames is THAT giant of a speed leap.

You'd be surprised.

But sometimes block stun in this game is weird.
Hugo's super is supposed to be -14 or something on block, but I am having a TON of trouble punishing it unless I'm mashing. Though you can just duck the third hit and press buttons to stop him at that point.

And earlier on Art's stream, no one was punishing Fuerte's quesadilla bomb or Decapre's rapid claws.....the latter is understandable though.

You'd be surprised.

But sometimes block stun in this game is weird.
Hugo's super is supposed to be -14 or something on block, but I am having a TON of trouble punishing it unless I'm mashing. Though you can just duck the third hit and press buttons to stop him at that point.

Speaking of Hugo, he's fun but boy oh boy does he require work. Slapping people with MP is hilarious and more than makes up for the difficulty, though.

Onemic

GGs to Onemic and Q.

Man that slide is weird. I can SPD it for free if I block it, but for whatever reason my jabs don't come out quick enough to hit it after a block.

I need to play your Thawk more to get that spacing down. Spaced well you shouldnt even be able to SPD it unless you use super/ultra.

Anyway it's a big ass risk as it needs to be spaced perfectly or els I eat an SPD every time, so I don't even think you should be using slide that much as Elena against a grappler, only once in a while to show that you're willing to do it and check them from thinking they can walk forward for free.

If I stuck to doing nothing but overheads and Mallets I think I wouldve had a lot more success. That damn condor dive has me freaked out as shit though, the recovery on it is insane, It's much better as an SPD setup than Giefs whiffed green hand.

Really considering picking up Hawk.. he's too cheap.

bandwagon OP

Elena's juggle potential is so ridiculous lol. Everything juggles. Everything

Top Bottom