• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Man, watching Edition Select matches on Iplaywinner right now is fucking hype. F. Champ played Vanilla Seth and bodied a Vanilla Ryu. But even all his bull shit isn't enough to take down the king when all he needs is like 3 or 4 to kill Seth lol.
Vanilla Seth's teleport is absurd. I once teleported, was read by my opponent, but I was able to teleport back before he reached active frames.

Same person also got introduced to the Salt Satelite.

Vanilla Sagat vs AE Yun time, hell yeah. Yun about to get bodied.

Vanilla Seth's teleport is absurd. I once teleported, was read by my opponent, but I was able to teleport back before he reached active frames.

Same person also got introduced to the Salt Satelite.

That thing was obscene. I still have bad memories of the old days when Seth players would raw teleport and SPD me. That and the active frames on his stomp and everything else was just nuts.

OceanBlue

ggs everyone, especially Dominus_what for putting up with my scrubbiness for a ton of games lol. I was reaching the point where I wasn't thinking straight about what I could do anymore. Yun is hard for me to deal with :(. I kept trying a bunch of things to get in and on defense but it felt really difficult, and I was too scared of DP to pressure. I need to practice punishing Lunge Punches and his HP DP.

ggs everyone, especially Dominus_what for putting up with my scrubbiness for a ton of games lol. I was reaching the point where I wasn't thinking straight about what I could do anymore. Yun is hard for me to deal with. :(
Yah ggs, and Yun is cheap lol. I just think you have to disrespect me more otherwise I will frame trap you all day.

Serious question, why don't they just make a new Street Fighter?

They probably are, at least that's what we're hoping anyways. This version was made to appeal to the hardcore fans. The guys who attend tournaments, the online warriors, and even the guys who watch streams like crazy while playing a little on the side.

I have no idea if a new SF is in development but I'm pretty confident that it is. We probably won't see it unveiled till next year though. Let USF4 have the spot light to itself for at least one year. Then let the hype begin next year but it probably won't even if that happens we probably won't see the game till 2017.

OceanBlue

Yah ggs, and Yun is cheap lol. I just think you have to disrespect me more otherwise I will frame trap you all day.

It's scary because you would mix up between cr.short divekick to get in and my EX DP was whiffing whenever I tried it, so I was trying to find different ways to deal with the divekick and ended up getting frame trapped lol.

I'll definitely try mixing up my defensive options more though since at the end I was just trying to beat divekicks :<. Anything else you noticed?

It's scary because you would mix up between cr.short divekick to get in and my EX DP was whiffing whenever I tried it, so I was trying to find different ways to deal with the divekick and ended up getting frame trapped lol.

I'll definitely try mixing up my defensive options more though since at the end I was just trying to beat divekicks :<. Anything else you noticed?
I dunno, I think there were several unsafe dive kicks you could have thrown or u could try jabbed out my ex lunge punches??
or counter pick with T Hawk
I think your Ryu was pretty solid so I was surprised when you went to Sakura.

God damn Julio was scared out of his mind by those TIGER UPPERCUTS. He did a good job but he was using AE Yun as if it was AE2012/Ultra Yun.

He had to play that way. Going to the air could mean 310 if the Gat player goes for TU and it trades. He didn't want to do far MP > shoulder because that's not a true block string and he could get blown up by TU's which is why all he did was the target combo. Plus he has to navigate his way through the wall of tiger shots and then deal with TK pressure.

That match up was considered even by many in AE. Throw Vanilla Sagat into the equation and it's clearly a bad match up for Yun.

mcmmaster

The X button to upload replays to YouTube in the battle log isn't showing for me, anyone else encountering this or found a fix?

alstein

They probably are, at least that's what we're hoping anyways. This version was made to appeal to the hardcore fans. The guys who attend tournaments, the online warriors, and even the guys who watch streams like crazy while playing a little on the side.

I have no idea if a new SF is in development but I'm pretty confident that it is. We probably won't see it unveiled till next year though. Let USF4 have the spot light to itself for at least one year. Then let the hype begin next year but it probably won't even if that happens we probably won't see the game till 2017.

I'm fine with that. Next- gen iterations of the current FG franchises are going to have to be masterpieces to do well.
If they're using this time to get it right, and that will take a lot of time, that's wise.

Was talking to a friend who's a big Tekken fan who came down today, and he pretty much said he expects TTT2 to be the last Tekken he likes, because they'll make the game newbie-friendly in a way that hurts the game overall. (and not just in annoy the old heads way)

From what I've heard, they do not have enough money to create it. Hopefully, it will materialize MUCH sooner before the rumored 2018 release date. Honestly, I think a SF5 is literally guaranteed to make their money back whatever it costs, but maybe it costs more to create than I insinuate. Yeah, I love USF4, but I wouldn't mind seeing SF5. I mean SF4 is only 6 years old technically.

Domstercool

Business decisions. I feel Capcom will do one mainline Street Fighter series per generation now, and then follow that up with SUPER/ULTRA versions until the new next gen is around and an all new Street Fighter is out. It keeps the game alive across the time that generation is active, while not having to work on all new engine/mechanics for a new mainline entry game.

Trickster

Why the fuck can't I message people on the steam version of SF4 without first adding them as friends, that shit is stupid as fuck. Fuck this game

alstein

Why the fuck can't I message people on the steam version of SF4 without first adding them as friends, that shit is stupid as fuck. Fuck this game

Limitations of Steam- personally I think it's a good thing- means no more stupid hatemail. Get way too much of that.

bumpkin

Did the upgrade to Ultra (from Super) last night, was surprised at how seamless/easy it was. I'm a little disappointed that it doesn't change the title screen or intro or anything to Ultra's, but I can't say I'm surprised either.

At any rate, I played a match online for the first time in, I dunno, years? Pretty much got my ass handed to me. Of course in my defense, a) I was using a controller not my Fightstick, and b) it's been at least two years since I played SFIV. Sounds like I need sit down and spend some quality time getting to know this game again.

Speaking of which, are there any plans for a GAF lobby of sorts tonight on XBL? The wife is going to a concert with friends so I'm going to be free. My Gamertag is DaveB1980

somepunk

Neo Member
You made this? Good stuff.

The EX SSB buff is ridiculous.

Yes, along with the rest of the series. This video is actually pretty basic in comparison to my others, but it shows the new stuff off. I tried to stray away from hurr durr red focus instant ultra and make it interesting.

Renekton

I'm fine with that. Next- gen iterations of the current FG franchises are going to have to be masterpieces to do well.
If they're using this time to get it right, and that will take a lot of time, that's wise.

Was talking to a friend who's a big Tekken fan who came down today, and he pretty much said he expects TTT2 to be the last Tekken he likes, because they'll make the game newbie-friendly in a way that hurts the game overall. (and not just in annoy the old heads way)
Not sure why he'd say that. Every subsequent Tekken got more and more framedata and mechanics (wall, bound, freemove) to memorize.

alstein

Not sure why he'd say that. Every subsequent Tekken got more and more framedata and mechanics (wall, bound, freemove) to memorize.

Because TTT2 included everything- any adding of additional content is just overkill- and the sheer amount of it now is turning new folks off the series because other games are much easier and more fun to start with because you've got more of a chance.

Laconic

Banned
Because TTT2 included everything- any adding of additional content is just overkill- and the sheer amount of it now is turning new folks off the series because other games are much easier and more fun to start with because you've got more of a chance.

To be fair, that had happened a long time before TT2. T5 was not newb friendly.

GrayFoxPL

Probably he said that because of Tekken Revolution that removed bound and included invincible move - a noob tube. But this is F2P game like other F2P Namco titles it's a simplified version of a "big" game. I don't think they'll dumb down regular Tekken, though Harada said he'll make backdash easier, but it's true that Tekken backdash is much harder to do then in eg. VF or DOA.

Kieli

Is anyone else getting insane sound reverb on their PC SSFIV:AE?

It sounds like an echo that peters off into the distance and it's only funny the first 10 minutes. Now it's just sad and annoying.

somepunk

Neo Member
Wow, that new forward fierce juggle seems like a huge buff since you can also punish backdashes and neutral jumps with it. And you can backdash more often after a focus attack and still get a big combo.

Do you know why you got the full animation ultra in the last combo?

Yes, I've been doing that for a while, it's more convenient than ever before now. The first hit of duck uppers maintain full juggle capacity. Whatever the previous juggle state was is maintained. In this example, EX Short swing blow has full juggle, so the single hit duck upper on specific characters allows that followup. The duck straights also maintain current juggle state.

Top Bottom