• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

JeTmAn81

So why would you red focus cancel a move instead of cancelling with regular focus? I noticed a lot of this in Desk's video.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
When a good Hugo gets you into the corner and starts clapping your ass

Fchamplooksgoodenoughtoeat.gif

EucIfYY.gif

Tizoc

...but the damage output would be a bit of a waste of meter wouldn't it? Of course it'd depend on the combo itself.

GrayFoxPL

...but the damage output would be a bit of a waste of meter wouldn't it? Of course it'd depend on the combo itself.

It's Desk. He would do 230 hit death combo with a character that had two normals and one special that did 7 points of damage.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Not if you can end the round and/or match with it. For some characters it's the only way to combo into ultra, so red focus cancels are usually their most damaging combos.

explodet

Fooling around online I fought a Hugo who knew what he was doing, and me as Fuerte, who most certainly didn't.

It was a massacre. EX Backbreakers everywhere. The only thing missing was Bobby the Brain Heenan insulting me on commentary.

somepunk

Neo Member
Many of the combos I do are wasteful and primarily for demonstrating possibilities within the engine. Only some of them are good for practical use. It's for the players knowledge, and for style.

Sayad

Man, going from Super's Makoto to this is like a dream. ;__;
Did c.lk reach get buffed(compared to Super, never played AE)? It's a viable poke now, especially with what can be buffered into it!

Fooling around online I fought a Hugo who knew what he was doing, and me as Fuerte, who most certainly didn't.

It was a massacre. EX Backbreakers everywhere. The only thing missing was Bobby the Brain Heenan insulting me on commentary.

Pretty sure in that matchup you can just throw out Fuerte's ex chestbump and Hugo can't really do much against that on block.

Went to a local yesterday and I'm convinced Fuerte will be a top 5 character. Ex chest bump is like having a roll cancelled blanka ball.

Tizoc

Not if you can end the round and/or match with it. For some characters it's the only way to combo into ultra, so red focus cancels are usually their most damaging combos.

Interesting, as I said I won't be having this game til August, so I'll mess around with it then myself.

Part of me wants to learn Hugo, but his normals and mobility are just uuuuuuuuuugh
red focus not even once

I need to stop playing super and start playing ultra.

In a way I'm still playing Super too. But Hawk doesn't really need Red Focus, so it's kinda just "there" for nothing.

Kain

Part of me wants to learn Hugo, but his normals and mobility are just uuuuuuuuuugh

I am waiting till someone finds THE trick to play with him. Give it time, there will be top players fooling around with him until someone makes him more or less viable and the guides will start pouring out. Right now it's a nightmare to try and find what he is good for.

In the meantime, just found out that Vega's MK has more advantage on hit and you can combo stuff from it. And crHP is godlike now.

I'm going to have so much fun spamming Cosmic Heels and MKs till the end of time xD

Brett Awesome

Neo Member
It's becoming rapidly obvious that this version isn't as good. Too many characters have too many flatout broken combos for huge damage, it's never been easier to noob out a win. It's way more like Marvel now and that's not a good thing.

Practically every character is great now. Even Dan has a +500 combo. They haven't thought of the consequences of making every character better.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
My Guy still in Ultra garbage territory. Once I get pushed in the corner and crossed up - it's over. I have no idea how to defend against this.

If I feel im getting baited to ex tatsu I'll usually ex bushin flip to see if i can gimmick my way out of it. Terrible habit but sometimes you can only take so much. If Im getting safe jumped I usually ex run overhead. Its especially awesome when youre in the corner and it auto corrects and you end up running back into the corner.

It's becoming rapidly obvious that this version isn't as good. Too many characters have too many flatout broken combos for huge damage, it's never been easier to noob out a win. It's way more like Marvel now and that's not a good thing.

Practically every character is great now. Even Dan has a +500 combo. They haven't thought of the consequences of making every character better.

I beg to differ

GrayFoxPL

If I feel im getting baited to ex tatsu I'll usually ex bushin flip to see if i can gimmick my way out of it. Terrible habit but sometimes you can only take so much. If Im getting safe jumped I usually ex run overhead. Its especially awesome when youre in the corner and it auto corrects and you end up running back into the corner.

Ex run fucks me over so bad, like sometimes I want to do ex tatsu when opponent is above me and guy does ex run in the face of opponent because he was a pixel behind Guy. Awful. Guy does not auto correct because he has mirrored inputs.

Ultras also fuck me too. I use a pad but only can push 6 buttons so to do kick ultra I need to use thumb to push triangle, circle and R2 with other finger. It's so unresponsive I get Guy's run or ex run instead and lose the fight when I had guaranteed ultra.
I hate SF4 multi button inputs so much.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Ex run fucks me over so bad, like sometimes I want to do ex tatsu when opponent is above me and guy does ex run in the face of opponent because he was a pixel behind Guy. Awful. Guy does not auto correct because he has mirrored inputs.

Ultras also fuck me too. I use a pad but only can push 6 buttons so to do kick ultra I need to use thumb to push triangle, circle and R2 with other finger. It's so unresponsive I get Guy's run or ex run instead and lose the fight when I had guaranteed ultra.
I hate SF4 multi button inputs so much.

Ah. I too punish dp's with an "ex run straight into a combo" sometimes.

Mœbius

Still can't get over the Akuma buffs... hilarious. I've been taking advantage this weekend and bodying people (on PSN) left, right, and centre. Top 30 ranked Akuma now, lol.

Switched it up to Makoto and Evil Ryu today; Mak has been tough but overall still solid - need to spend more time in the lab with her to figure out how her changes affect her play. Evil Ryu is pretty straightforward to pick up but not as fun as Akuma for me.

Might give Dudley a try this week.

Onemic

Or the guy might be playing ranked with other characters along with Dudley.

Getting high pp at this point in the games life is really difficult too. There aren't a lot of 2000+ pp players around. Many players who would naturally be at 3000+pp normally are sitting in the 1000 range.

Getting high pp at this point in the games life is really difficult too. There aren't a lot of 2000+ pp players around. Many players who would naturally be at 3000+pp normally are sitting in the 1000 range.

Very true. It'll take a week or two before all the good players get back to their regular skill range. I normally float between 1500 to 2000 but these first few days since release, I'm getting up to 1000 then straight back down to 500 again after bad streaks of running into people way above my skill level. Still fun though. Usually.

El Sloth

Banned
I can get it pretty consistently. Just plink the lp with lk. My middle finger is on lp and my index finger is on lk. If you want the ex version, ring finger is on mk.
Cool, thanks! I'll try that out today then.
Are there any fighting games that allow multiple players to fight in lobbies?
Skullgirls and BB last I checked.
Yo sloth what time is the yum starting today?
Wanna make sure I have ample enough time to make it home.
Was thinking of getting teams sorted at 6 and start the thing proper at 7 (or 8 if not enough people/people getting dinner).

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Any competitions streaming? Itching to see what the masters do with the new changes.

Btw is it me or is Decapre a real pain to fight again? Maybe I don't know her yet but I had my ass handed to me a couple of times...

Top Bottom