• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ummm... GIANT HORNETS have killed 41 People in China since July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majine

Banned
things are getting bigger in china... giant rat

b5aea880-b43c-4ab5-ab51-43e9b7f503f9_92932896-122956_copy1.jpg

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/giant-rat-...e-long-shaoyang-hunan-province-095149130.html

China - Go big or go home?

Nephtis

These jerks don't even pollinate do they? Useless little bastards.

Correct. The only beneficial thing (by their standards) they do for nature is strike fear into people's hearts.

I love this part though:

Asian giant hornet stings in general can cause anaphylactic shock in allergic people, and can be lethal even to people who are not allergic if the dose is sufficient. Advice in China is that people stung more than 10 times need medical help, and emergency treatment for more than 30 stings. The stings can cause renal failure.

So you don't even need to be allergic to their venom for anaphylactic shock. That's pretty awesome.

This is one of the reasons I love living in a country where our winters typically include several feet of snow and months of subzero temperatures; our hornets don't live long enough to grow over 1 inch long. Our spiders are small too.

(OTOH, our bears can get pretty big, but the really large ones generally stick to the Rockies, the sheet ice, or Churchill Manitoba)

you guys are joking right? there is a difference between Japan and China.

they are both giant hornets but they sure don't look the same and Japan has never reported death tolls as high as these

shira

The giant hornets are attracted to human sweat, alcohol and sweet flavors and smells. They are especially sensitive to when animals or people run, according to Xinhua.
dunna` run

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
One of the pros of living in Western Europe. Virtually no giant (or) poisonous bugs to worry about.

Thank God I live in superior Europe.

Ummmmm, aren't giant hornets expanding into that area?

And you thought you had it bad.

Never been so glad I live in AZ. I rather deal with africanized bees than that shit.

What if we get africanized giant hornets?

You should also post the video showing Japanese honeybees defending against the hornets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6m40W1s0Wc

They swarm the hornet and raise their body temperature to 117 degrees F, enough to cook and kill the invader.

That's some "Land of the Lost" shit there. Terrifying.

Can you imagine getting in your car, doing 60MPH on the highway and then one of these bastards rises up out of the back seat and starts buzzing around your head?

akira28

That's some "Land of the Lost" shit there. Terrifying.

Can you imagine getting in your car, doing 60MPH on the highway and then one of these bastards rises up out of the back seat and starts buzzing around your head?

Crash into the sea. It's the only way to be sure. Take it with you to Davy Jones' Locker.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Louisiana? We already have it bad enough with the "crazy ants" (Though harmless).

my brother said he saw and killed one at work. hopefully they haven't multiplied before that.

Seeing just one means it was probably a scout looking for food, ready to call in his attack force.

See the hornet attacking honeycomb vid, or the followup with the Japanese bees defending.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
These are huge mofos and also very aggressive. I deal with hornets and their nests at least 2 times a year, but hornets here way smaller and less aggro

The giant hornets are attracted to human sweat, alcohol and sweet flavors and smells. They are especially sensitive to when animals or people run, according to Xinhua.

One victim told local media earlier this month that "the more you run, the more they want to chase you." Some victims described being chased about 200 meters (656 feet) by a swarm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom