• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ummm... GIANT HORNETS have killed 41 People in China since July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

Killer-wasps-that-have-left-at-least-28-people-dead-in-China-2326262.png

No.

big-show-aaahhh.gif

cdkee

Banned
Jokes aside, what are the ethics concerned with this? If these things pose a threat to people, can we, or should we make them go away (extinction?) I'm just thinking if these things made it to the US how it would be.

Big-E

Read the North China part and had a heart attack but thankfully I am way further North and East so I should be ok. I am not happy though as I thought Japan was the only place where bird sized hornets lived. Thanks to this thread I will not be visiting the countryside during any warm months.

Toxi

Banned
Jokes aside, what are the ethics concerned with this? If these things pose a threat to people, can we, or should we make them go away (extinction?) I'm just thinking if these things made it to the US how it would be.
With no co-evolved predators or parasites in North America, populations could explode and cause the North American agricultural industry to collapse.

European honeybees have no defenses against them. Zero, zip, zilch. Japanese honeybees have a defense, but not ours. We already have problems with phorid flies and Colony Collapse Disorder. Add a monster hornet that can devastate hives and our flowers are fucked.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Lets move north, while the ice is still there!

PLEASE DON'T MAKE IT TO AUSTRALIA.

We have enough shit to kill us as is you fucking keep this China.

TylerD

With no co-evolved predators or parasites in North America, populations could explode and cause the North American agricultural industry to collapse.

European honeybees have no defenses against them. Zero, zip, zilch. Japanese honeybees have a defense, but not ours. We already have problems with phorid flies and Colony Collapse Disorder. Add a monster hornet that can devastate hives and our flowers are fucked.

And all of this is before radioactive mutation. We are so fucked.

PaulloDEC

People like to rag on Australia for having terrifying creepy-crawlies, but at least ours have the good grace to stay on the ground.

I'd never leave the house without a tennis racquet.

We have enough shit to kill us as is you fucking keep this China.

They'd take one look at a Funnel web, turn around and get back on the boat.... Australia has some bad ass spiders, and some of the biggest and strongest web makers in the World. If you think about the size of a green grocer Cicada, probably around the same size as those Hornets, and Orb weavers will catch them easy enough. Chuck in a few Huntsmen to tackle the ground forces and I reckon we're good.

Failing that we should introduce some form of Hornet eating Amphibian..... a Toad maybe?

Forever

Banned
They'd take one look at a Funnel web, turn around and get back on the boat.... Australia has some bad ass spiders, and some of the biggest and strongest web makers in the World. If you think about the size of a green grocer Cicada, probably around the same size as those Hornets, and Orb weavers will catch them easy enough. Chuck in a few Huntsmen to tackle the ground forces and I reckon we're good.

Failing that we should introduce some form of Hornet eating Amphibian..... a Toad maybe?
Many hornets prey on spiders, and hornets are not cicadas. They are strong, mean, thickly armored killing machines with garden shears for a mouth.

These ones look like they also have fucking harpoons for stingers.

Lamel

Banned

One of my professors who is a pioneer in bee research claimed that in a hive of bees that are just going about their day, you can put your hand in and grab a fistful and throw them, and they won't harm you.

Bees are pretty harmless (honey bees at least), and people are needlessly afraid of them.

Amir0x

Banned
these creatures sting ability causes the Doom ailment? shit is like an RPG now. i gotta upgrade my equipment. lvl 1 plastic fork aint cutting it

DedValve

Banned
We have to eat them to beat them.

the thing is...your absolutely right. Ok guys, its time to put aside our squemish tendencies and roast these assholes. If we force ourselves to develop a craving for them it won't be long before their served at McDonalds and soon we'll eat more than they can reproduce effectively wiping out the species by 2025.

I'm being serious here lets eat the fuckers.

or spread rumors that their stingers increase penis size and duration.

the thing is...your absolutely right. Ok guys, its time to put aside our squemish tendencies and roast these assholes. If we force ourselves to develop a craving for them it won't be long before their served at McDonalds and soon we'll eat more than they can reproduce effectively wiping out the species by 2025.

I'm being serious here lets eat the fuckers.

or spread rumors that their stingers increase penis size and duration.

It wont work! The second we start eating them is the second they earn a place on Humanities Protected Species list. We'd start farming them, thereby making more of them!

sturmdogg

Are these the same hornets? They were spotted in Arlington Heights, Illinois.

A forum on DSLReports.com Need to kill Asian Hornets and comments on a BadSpiderBites.com Giant Hornet article includes reports of Asian Giant Hornets in Alabama, California, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, and West Virginia. One of the pictures from a contributor from Tennessee shows a European Hornet. Last Fall posters reported aggressive infestations in recent years. In Georgia a poster reports he doesn’t go a day without seeing one of the giant hornets. One poster reports the insects flying into lights at night, and an infestation in a chimney with about 200 hornets getting inside the house. Many posters scoff at the comments that the insects aren’t aggressive. Some posters report that the large hornets are not affected by wasp/hornet spray.

kaiju

Scientists blame global warming:

The population of Asian giant hornets (vespa mandarinia), as they’re known, has surged largely because of climate change, says the Shaanxi Provincial Forestry Department (link in Chinese). The average winter temperature in Ankang rose 1.10 ℃ in the span of a few years alone, allowing more hornets to survive the winter. And it’s not just China; rising temperatures are behind the spread of another deadly Chinese hornets species, vespa velutina, in South Korea and Europe.

The chief prey of the Chinese hornet? Honeybees. As global warming makes more of the world hospitable to Chinese hornets, more honeybees are dying in the beepocalypse. Areas in Europe where they’re likeliest to invade “hold among the highest densities of bee-hives in Europe,” according to recent research.

http://qz.com/128636/thank-you-global-warming-giant-hornets-are-killing-dozens-in-china-and-eating-bees-across-europe/

Shit. We're fucked.

DedValve

Banned
It wont work! The second we start eating them is the second they earn a place on Humanities Protected Species list. We'd start farming them, thereby making more of them!

we eat them AND spread rumors that their stingers are penis enhancers AND do what man does best, use science to bring back prehistoric giant spiders to fuck the wasps then bring back giant snakes to eat the giant spiders then nuke china.

Reminded me of that oatmeal comic, I would be running, setting PRs as well if those buggers where chasing me!

If you haven't read it before, I recommend starting at the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom