• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

web01

MrPliskin said:
Just a few thoughts:

web01: Get over yourself and the silly middle school drama. Arne doesn't have to kiss anyones ass, especially if their brash comments are largely untrue. He can say what he wants, and honestly, he hasn't done anything wrong. Get over YOURSELF. You are the problem, not him.

viper: Is every game a CoD clone to you?

Everyone else: ND obviously did what the MAJORITY of the community wanted. You absolutely have to respect that they want to keep as many players as possible, and if the majority wants something, they have to cater to THEM, not the vocal minority. It's a business before anything else.

try harder

MrPliskin

Banned
Okay, so you intend to tell me a few hundred from GAF leaving a game that has sold north of 3 million units world wide will have a real world impact on the numbers? Please tell me this is a joke. Please.

Yeef

MrPliskin said:
Okay, so you intend to tell me a few hundred from GAF leaving a game that has sold north of 3 million units world wide will have a real world impact on the numbers? Please tell me this is a joke. Please.
The daily player numbers aren't in the millions; they're not even in the hundred thousands. It's generally between 60~70k in my experience. Check around the nets; GAF isn't the only place where people are complaining about the changes, but the GAF crew are the only people I play with. It's not difficult to imagine that a lot of people have left the game behind but new/returning players have filled in the spots.

MrPliskin

Banned
Yeef said:
The daily player numbers aren't in the millions; they're not even in the hundred thousands. It's generally between 60~70k in my experience. Check around the nets; GAF isn't the only place where people are complaining about the changes, but the GAF crew are the only people I play with. It's not difficult to imagine that a lot of people have left the game behind but new/returning players have filled in the spots.
Daily players doesn't consist of people who play everyday. It's a number. If the game sold 3mil, and 60 to 70 k are online at any given time, what makes you think a few thousand around the net really matter? Secondly, if ND makes more money keeping the majority of the players that WANTED the patch, and brings in a few new, then they did the right thing. I honestly don't care for the patch, but I'm not so self important that I don't understand why they did it.

Yeef

MrPliskin said:
Daily players doesn't consist of people who play everyday. It's a number. If the game sold 3mil, and 60 to 70 k are online at any given time, what makes you think a few thousand around the net really matter? Secondly, if ND makes more money keeping the majority of the players that WANTED the patch, and brings in a few new, then they did the right thing. I honestly don't care for the patch, but I'm not so self important that I don't understand why they did it.
Daily players is the amount of people that have played over the last 24 hours, not the number of people that are logged on at the current time. A few thousand is indeed a decent-sized chunk of that player base. At the same time though, I've seen a decent number of people that had played for a little while then moved on after a month or two (generally to MW2) that came back to check out the patch and actually liked it.

And I resent being called 'self-important.' I'm one of the few people that doesn't take too much issue with the patch. I definitely preferred the game before 1.05, but the changes aren't enough to keep me from playing. Arne has said himself that the player population hasn't decreased, but he hasn't said that there's been an increase either. Obviously there are people that are quitting so there must be others that have joined, effectively taking the places of the people who have left.

MrPliskin

Banned
Yeef said:
Daily players is the amount of people that have played over the last 24 hours, not the number of people that are logged on at the current time. A few thousand is indeed a decent-sized chunk of that player base. At the same time though, I've seen a decent number of people that had played for a little while then moved on after a month or two (generally to MW2) that came back to check out the patch and actually liked it.

And I resent being called 'self-important.' I'm one of the few people that doesn't take too much issue with the patch. I definitely preferred the game before 1.05, but the changes aren't enough to keep me from playing. Arne has said himself that the player population hasn't decreased, but he hasn't said that there's been an increase either. Obviously there are people that are quitting so there must be others that have joined, effectively taking the places of the people who have left.
I'm not calling you self important, rather, the people who think that they are the ones who kept the game alive by playing 4 hours a day.

k0ji-wd

The Flooded Ruins is absolutley beautiful. . .so I made some Panoramic images, sorry I graded the color and whatnot :D

v645qr.jpg

4vjpdy.jpg

15nt3mh.jpg

2wme7ue.jpg

23ut1m0.jpg

Olivero

Gaf, I picked up my PS3 yesterday, and today I embark on my first play through of a Playstation game since the PS1. I found Uncharted 2 at a local Hollywood Video that is closing down for 40% off the listed price. Basically, I got it for 30 bucks.
Here goes, Gaf. I know literally nothing about this game or franchise. :lol :lol

EDIT: Updates and system install? Son I am disappoint.

Rikyfree

k0ji-wd said:
[Awesome pics!]
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU--
@Cozmick- Where do you live? I'll get the dlc but I have to wait for the store in the US to update. Add me. PSN id is in my profile.

TripOpt55

Oh man. I can't wait for the maps and skins. The customs house map looks incredible. Also, excited for the Elena and Eddie Raja skins. I'll be using them a lot. Glad they are doing the thing with the DLC matchmaking. Sounds like a pretty good idea. Otherwise playing the maps would be near impossible.

reKon

Banned
Olivero said:
Gaf, I picked up my PS3 yesterday, and today I embark on my first play through of a Playstation game since the PS1. I found Uncharted 2 at a local Hollywood Video that is closing down for 40% off the listed price. Basically, I got it for 30 bucks.
Here goes, Gaf. I know literally nothing about this game or franchise. :lol :lol

Have fun playing this for the next 5 hours straight :)

mr_nothin

Banned
Olivero said:

I think you're in for a ride!
System install?

I'm really tempted to pick this up, however I bought the first map pack for Killzone 2 when it came out, and played the game a lot, and I never once saw those maps come up, waste of money.

Is there a way to specify what map you want to play on in Uncharted that I may have missed? I don't want to spend the money and have them never show up in the cycle.

Is Uncharted 2: Among Thieves the first PS3 game to use the new separation /group arrangement between single player and DLC trophies? If so, that's awesome. Wish more of my older games used this option.

moto_0101.jpg

CozMick

Banned
Rikyfree said:
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU--
@Cozmick- Where do you live? I'll get the dlc but I have to wait for the store in the US to update. Add me. PSN id is in my profile.

i'm in the UK, store updated at 3:30pm (kinda early).

Maybe it's a bug but the first time I booted up it said that I didn't have the maps and couldn't find a game.

I restarted the game and got a nice "Thank you for buying a dlc map pack"

Now it's fairly easy finding a server with the new maps :D

daxter01 said:
flooded ruin is amazing wow that other map is realy pretty but i saw lots of slowdowns

Strange, I haven't had any slowdown at all. (upscaled to 1080p)

jett

D-Member
Crewnh said:
Is Uncharted 2: Among Thieves the first PS3 game to use the new separation /group arrangement between single player and DLC trophies? If so, that's awesome. Wish more of my older games used this option.

moto_0101.jpg

Not on my Uncharted 2. The last update took away my 100%. :| Why Naughy Dog, WHY!?

MrPliskin said:
Just a few thoughts:

Everyone else: ND obviously did what the MAJORITY of the community wanted. You absolutely have to respect that they want to keep as many players as possible, and if the majority wants something, they have to cater to THEM, not the vocal minority. It's a business before anything else.

I actually believe that ND do what they want to do. They use feedback as a guide, but its great to read the posts from ND where they show that they do not design by committee. Let the developers and designers do what they think is right and then let the chips fall where they may.

For the record, I liked it before the changes and even afterwards. I really dig and respect the work that ND does.

MNC

Oh fuck, new DLC? Is this free also? I should really put the disc back in, but I'm afraid it won't come back out anymore.

Edit: Oh, it's pay. Hmmmmm. This, or Shatter.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
anyone care for a share group (US-maps only)? $2.50 per person, which should also cover the April 15 maps. pm me.

Danielsan

fortified_concept said:
So, is the the new map pack country locked? Has anyone successfully bypassed it?
It's country locked and I got my copy from the UK.
So I just went to my UK account and bought it there.
No problems.

arne

web01 said:
1) and 2) These comments should be especially worring to anyone that plays this game online and intends to invest more time and money via DLC packs. I asked a simple question about what gameplay aspects Naughty Dog believes define the multiplayer yet you cannot give a proper answer.

The people that actual play the game can tell you what made it great and worth investing time and money into before the patch and that is the unique aspects such as the traversal gameplay, lack of camping and the epic moments that result from this.

Comment one suggests you want to make the game fun however your second response reads like your team doesnt care and will change it however they want regardless of how the community feels week to week and trend to trend as they define what makes uncharted.These two comments simply dont match up.

The inability of you to define what makes uncharted suggests the Naughty Dog team doesnt have a clear vision for how the online should play which would explain some of the absolutely bizare balance changes even with the crushing health sysytem.

The maps themselves are designed around traversal so those guys know what they were doing yet the gameplay since the patch doesnt fit in with the maps.

Which brings me back to the point I have been making all this time that the crushing health patch reduced these elements that made the game fun for alot of people.

3) Lets not get technical both playlists have the same modes merging them or removing one is the same thing really, two playlists become one.

4) You read that wrong I said and "you know what they are right" about people saying the multiplayer is not as fun since the patch that was balanced around crushing health.

I really want to keep a discussion going, but it's feeling pretty difficult to have any constructive back and forth if you decide that you just want to rebut my post just because I didn't pontificate at length what I thought is the core identity of Uncharted.

It's really telling to your attitude and mindset that you choose to apply that as a blanket statement to the whole studio in the negative (hidden by the safety of use of "suggests"). We have a clearly defined vision of what Uncharted is and it's pretty obvious to many/most just by looking at the progression from U: DF to Uncharted 2 -- I don't need to explicate that to the ends of the earth. That philosophy (and our studio culture of iteration and collaboration) drives and will continue to drive how we develop and refine our MP game. It's our first foray into MP, we're learning quite a bit, we're stumbling sometimes, but it'll benefit everyone in the long run.

I can already tell (and hope it isn't the case) that you'll take this response and dismissive, but as much as I do want to continue constructive dialog, that it seems pretty clear you just want to insist that "I'm absolutely right" and "Naughty Dog/arne is absolutely wrong" above all other possibilities or outcomes. *I* get it, you don't like the how the damage has out. There's no conversation to be had it appears. I tried. Sorry.

fixuis

Okay what the hell is this naughtydog and sony? some weired dlc region lock bullshit. I have a region 2 copy of uncharted 2 and i download the skins and the new map pack from the uk store and now it wont work. UK is region 2 but supposedly my copy of uncharted 2 is not compatible. I have product code bces - 00509 and its supposed to be all of europe and australia except the U.K. Isn't australia supposed to be region 4. What the fuck ND and SONY..never had any problems like this before... why couldn't they have made it a simple dlc like killzone 2..have region 2 disc. Any store in region 2 works..now im out 8 pounds..bullshit. So fucking pissed at sony and nd right now.

Anybody know who and how to contact for a refund? and if its possible.

A little bloody warning on by naughty dog and sony would have been nice. Instead now we have to deal with confusing product codes dlc region lock..wtf

I went back to the UK store and saw that they have a little disclaimer in the dlc description that says you need this product code to use this dlc but when nobody has such problems before do they really expect people to scan the description in detail to detect this?

Danielsan said:
It's country locked and I got my copy from the UK.
So I just went to my UK account and bought it there.
No problems.

I can't enter my credit card on a UK account because it forces me to enter as billing address UK which is inconsistent with my credit card details. How did you manage to bypass that?

fixuis said:
Okay what the hell is this naughtydog and sony? some weired dlc region lock bullshit. I have a region 2 copy of uncharted 2 and i download the skins and the new map pack from the uk store and now it wont work. UK is region 2 but supposedly my copy of uncharted 2 is not compatible. I have product code bces - 00509 and its supposed to be all of europe and australia except the U.K. Isn't australia supposed to be region 4. What the fuck ND and SONY..never had any problems like this before... why couldn't they have made it a simple dlc like killzone 2..have region 2 disc. Any store in region 2 works..now im out 8 pounds..bullshit. So fucking pissed at sony and nd right now.

Anybody know who and how to contact for a refund? and if its possible.

A little bloody warning on by naughty dog and sony would have been nice. Instead now we have to deal with confusing product codes dlc region lock..wtf

I went back to the UK store and saw that they have a little disclaimer in the dlc description that says you need this product code to use this dlc but when nobody has such problems before do they really expect people to scan the description in detail to detect this?

It's one fucking disappointment after another with ND. We warned them about this shit during the last DLC but they ignored us just like they've done with everything else.

arne

fortified_concept said:
It's one fucking disappointment after another with ND. We warned them about this shit during the last DLC but they ignored us just like they've done with everything else.

We don't dictate PSN Store policies. We do point out what we hear from the community -- but there are larger factors at work that are decided upon and carried out by each regional PSN arm. I can't speak nor can anyone at ND speak about any of this since this isn't our area or expertise. I'm sure there's valid business reasons, but it's not my place to discuss them.

in spirit of that, I'm putting you on my ignore list so I can ignore you technically as well as figuratively. :p (kidding of course)

arne

Massa said:
Hey arne,

Is the powerpoint from Richard Lemarchand's DICE presentation available anywhere?

No(t yet). If/when it goes up, we'll be posting about it. It'll likely be part of a larger round up of presentations when the conference "season" is over -- since I think we have all our GDC stuff up from previous years.

Thrakier

I'm about to buy the DLC, but is there a seperate playlist for DLC maps? Because otherwise you will play on those new maps once in a lifetime I fear...how high is the chance that everyone in the matchmaking list has the DLC?

Yeef

fortified_concept said:
I'm pretty Arne has mentioned before that ND has no control over that sort of thing. It's SCEE that you should be angry with. Personally, I think (other than for currency issues) there's no reason to have regional stores. A single, international store would be so much better.

fixuis

I'm going to call sony u.k up and ask them for a refund or atleast give me credit to the aus store if possible but before I do that, any uncharted 2 players from australia here who have the UK copy by any chance and are in the same predicament as me? We can do an exchange.

arne said:
We don't dictate PSN Store policies. We do point out what we hear from the community -- but there are larger factors at work that are decided upon and carried out by each regional PSN arm. I can't speak nor can anyone at ND speak about any of this since this isn't our area or expertise. I'm sure there's valid business reasons, but it's not my place to discuss them.

in spirit of that, I'm putting you on my ignore list so I can ignore you technically as well as figuratively. :p (kidding of course)

Oops, I apologize, I didn't know. So it's the SCEE douchebags then. Jesus Christ we can't get a fucking break here, NOE and SCEE have to be the worst fucking corporate branches on this planet. They make Microsoft which is just mediocre look like the the epitome of quality.

Massa

arne said:
No(t yet). If/when it goes up, we'll be posting about it. It'll likely be part of a larger round up of presentations when the conference "season" is over -- since I think we have all our GDC stuff up from previous years.

Ok, thanks! That was a very good presentation by the way, if I didn't read this thread it would have fooled me into thinking you guys knew what the hell you were doing! :lol

arne said:
I really want to keep a discussion going, but it's feeling pretty difficult to have any constructive back and forth if you decide that you just want to rebut my post just because I didn't pontificate at length what I thought is the core identity of Uncharted.

It's really telling to your attitude and mindset that you choose to apply that as a blanket statement to the whole studio in the negative (hidden by the safety of use of "suggests"). We have a clearly defined vision of what Uncharted is and it's pretty obvious to many/most just by looking at the progression from U: DF to Uncharted 2 -- I don't need to explicate that to the ends of the earth. That philosophy (and our studio culture of iteration and collaboration) drives and will continue to drive how we develop and refine our MP game. It's our first foray into MP, we're learning quite a bit, we're stumbling sometimes, but it'll benefit everyone in the long run.

I can already tell (and hope it isn't the case) that you'll take this response and dismissive, but as much as I do want to continue constructive dialog, that it seems pretty clear you just want to insist that "I'm absolutely right" and "Naughty Dog/arne is absolutely wrong" above all other possibilities or outcomes. *I* get it, you don't like the how the damage has out. There's no conversation to be had it appears. I tried. Sorry.

Arne, I've been bitchy to you many pages back about the update and i want to apologize. Having played with the new update quite a bit, I've come to accept that the game has changed. Sure, i can't climb quite as effectively, which sucks... but I've gotten over it.

I for one have been getting double the kills thanks to the lack of skill necessary to do so. I'll live. I say all this because the last few games I've played (a couple days ago) have played mostly the same as pre-patch which is great. Nothing compared to the camp-fest I first experienced.

Fix glitches and boost up the leg health and we're all good.

celpacius

any chance of an option in game to switch teams?

grouped or not, a team full of 5 roman numerals vs a team of a bunch of 10-20s will most of the time get their asses handed to them.

Erebus

fortified_concept said:
I can't enter my credit card on a UK account because it forces me to enter as billing address UK which is inconsistent with my credit card details. How did you manage to bypass that?
I don't know if this helps you but even though I have the UK version of RE5, I bought the DLC from the greek store last week. It turned out just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom