• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Multiplayer |OT| Swinging To Victory

Only Combat Revive level 2 does (the one that reduces your gear timer for revives). You get the same benefits of the other perks from upgrading the medpack mid-match.

Cheers.

This free points promotion has brought out the lagging shitshow early, is really unplayable right now and it's primetime for the 'better' connections at this hour.

Nev

Banned
Fixing their netcode (
optional asymmetric tickrate
) and releasing a F2P client would do wonders for this game, both lag-wise and financial-wise (UCP)...

You're nuts if you think they're going to make it F2P. This game is a solid way for them to force their scammy PS+ garbage on players. They might as well drop the paywall if they make their biggest game F2P.

Grinchy

Banned
Is there a technical reason why Rocket League, a game with regularly over 100K concurrent players, has dedicated servers for everyone but this game doesn't? Like is it more costly to host servers for a game like this for some reason?

AKyemeni

Is there a technical reason why Rocket League, a game with regularly over 100K concurrent players, has dedicated servers for everyone but this game doesn't? Like is it more costly to host servers for a game like this for some reason?
Dedicated servers are more costly, yes.

And dedicated servers doNT just make the lag go away.

And no way in hell does this game have 100k concurrent players.

You're nuts if you think they're going to make it F2P. This game is a solid way for them to force their scammy PS+ garbage on players. They might as well drop the paywall if they make their biggest game F2P.
This game has a freemium revenue model for a reason... they'll make more money by selling UCP than PS+.

Yearly PS+ subscription = $50 = you only have to buy one every year

10000 Uncharted Points = $50 = you need multiple packs to buy everything and there's tons more content coming

Truth be told, Rocket League is way more popular than all ND MP games combined... it's also multi-platform and it has cross-play MP (PS4/PC and maybe Xbone).

The million dollar question is why does Rocket League (free PS+ game) show milliseconds, while ND games show CoD-style vague bars?

Hell, they even downgraded bars from 5 to 4, which means less granularity and more vagueness... no excuses here. The thing is, the majority doesn't give a shit about stuff like this. 50% of the player pool confuses connection bars (ms) with their WiFi/cell phone signal (-dB), lol.

Rocket League devs take their MP seriously is why.

Grinchy

Banned
Truth be told, Rocket League is way more popular than all ND MP games combined... it's also multi-platform and it has cross-play MP (PS4/PC and maybe Xbone).

The million dollar question is why does Rocket League (free PS+ game) show milliseconds, while ND games show CoD-style vague bars?

Hell, they even downgraded bars from 5 to 4, which means less granularity and more vagueness... no excuses here. The thing is, the majority doesn't give a shit about stuff like this. 50% of the player pool confuses connection bars (ms) with their WiFi/cell phone signal (-dB), lol.

So shouldn't it be cheaper for UC4 to use dedicated servers than it would be for RL? That's kinda what I'm getting at. A $60 game selling millions versus a $20 game selling millions. And both have microtransactions. I just wanted to give the benefit of the doubt to ND that maybe a game like this would require more costly dedicated servers for some technical reason I was unaware of.

And games like COD just seem to have no excuse whatsoever.

Nev

Banned
This game has a freemium revenue model for a reason... they'll make more money by selling UCP than PS+.

Yearly PS+ subscription = $50 = you only have to buy one every year

10000 Uncharted Points = $50 = you need multiple packs to buy everything and there's tons more content coming

They have a freemium revenue model because they're a bunch of scoundrels, the game has a F2P model but you have to pay 60€ + the PS+ paywall. Why make it F2P when you can have the wonders of F2P scamming in a retail game which also needs a suscription? It's a win-win for them.

No, there isn't. Sony just don't wanna pay for them, that's the only reason. How Rocket League, an indie game has the decency of having dedicated servers but the multimillion selling Sony -one of the biggest brands ever- flagship franchise from the world's most famous developer don't is just beyond our comprehension. They're just careless scumbags, there's no other explanation.

So shouldn't it be cheaper for UC4 to use dedicated servers than it would be for RL? That's kinda what I'm getting at. A $60 game selling millions versus a $20 game selling millions. And both have microtransactions.

There just aren't two ways about it, it's what it is, as unbelievable it might be.

Drencrom

The fuck is up with morons that play Plunder that don't go for the idol?

Like seriously, it's a very simple mode and some idiots still feel the need to wander off for no reason and do shit while I'm by myself either carrying the idol or taking on the whole opposing team at the idol spawn.

The fuck is up with morons that play Plunder that don't go for the idol?

Like seriously, it's a very simple mode and some idiots still feel the need to wander off for no reason and do shit while I'm by myself either carrying the idol or taking on the whole opposing team at the idol spawn.

They there for points so can level up.

Drencrom

They there for points so can level up.

Yes, I know a bunch of people play plunder for downs, but that doesn't explain why the fuck they some of these players aren't even taking on the team. In plunder you know the opposing team will nearly always go for the idol (AKA you know where you will encounter them), but these players just wander off completely in different parts of the map. I still get more kills/downs than these jokers because I actually encounter them much more at the idol etc.

Like fine, hoard your shitty downs in plunder, but be at least efficient at getting kills and taking on the team FFS...

Drencrom

So shouldn't it be cheaper for UC4 to use dedicated servers than it would be for RL? That's kinda what I'm getting at. A $60 game selling millions versus a $20 game selling millions. And both have microtransactions. I just wanted to give the benefit of the doubt to ND that maybe a game like this would require more costly dedicated servers for some technical reason I was unaware of.

Yeah, it's pretty sad that Sony's biggest game of the year doesn't have dedicated servers while an indie game like RL can afford it for some reason.

How much does it cost really?

Foxxsoxx

Yes, I know a bunch of people play plunder for downs, but that doesn't explain why the fuck they some of these players aren't even taking on the team. In plunder you know the opposing team will nearly always go for the idol (AKA you know where you will encounter them), but these players just wander off completely in different parts of the map. I still get more kills/downs than these jokers because I actually encounter them much more at the idol etc.

Like fine, hoard your shitty downs in plunder, but be at least efficient at getting kills and taking on the team FFS...

Because Plunder attracts the idiots of the world. I don't even think they're there to farm kills, considering I go for the idol and kills and most the time I score a few times plus have more kills than my entire team combined. It's a Playlist full of baddies and morons.

Just curious: would you guys accept an inferior SP experience* (less budget), so that the MP would have dedicated servers instead of p2p?

We all know that ND spends the majority of their budget on the Campaign... ND is well known for crafting SP experiences and less for their MPs. It is what it is.

Dedicated servers don't fix lag. They fix ridiculous glitches caused by host migration bugs, NAT Type party issues and they reduce bandwidth consumption requirements.

Personally, I'd be OK with them improving their netcode (you know what I mean, I won't repeat myself).

* Yeah, I agree that the UC4 SP wasn't that good, at least the first half of it. If I had to guess, I'd say that throwing away 8 months of work (Amy's script, mo-cap etc.) hurt the MP too, since they had to spend more budget to rework the Campaign by adding more TLOU Kool Aid™.

It's not that simple. Digital games have higher profit margins. ND doesn't get $60 from every (retail) copy sold. More like $20.

AAA game development is very expensive these days. Uncharted 4 has the best graphics/animation this gen for a reason. The MP will not be profitable, unless they sell a certain amount of UCP.

Yes, you paid $60 for the game (just like you paid $60 -without taking into account inflation- for Uncharted 1 in 2007, with no MP at all), but the majority of the dev budget went to the SP. That's why the MP is half-baked. The MP roadmap will probably be funded by UCP revenue.

Yeah, it's pretty sad that Sony's biggest game of the year doesn't have dedicated servers while an indie game like RL can afford it for some reason.

How much does it cost really?
It costs a lot of money to rent servers in many different regions. Sony/ND probably think that money can be spent better somewhere else.

I think we should focus on things that can be improved without breaking the bank.

It costs a lot of money to rent servers in many different regions. Sony/ND probably think that money can be spent better somewhere else.

I think we should focus on things that can be improved without breaking the bank.

Like raising the tick rate.

Even if they did use dedicated servers they'd probably use a shitty hybrid system like BF, Killzone etc use where hit detection done client side, doing nothing for the shot in cover problem.

Even BF4 has corner bending bullet issues unless find a higher tick rate server. But UC4 runs even worse than the low tick rate ones.

Like raising the tick rate.

Even if they did use dedicated servers they'd probably use a shitty hybrid system like BF, Killzone etc use where hit detection done client side, doing nothing for the shot in cover problem.

Even BF4 has corner bending bullet issues unless find a higher tick rate server. But UC4 runs even worse than the low tick rate ones.
Exactly. Increasing the tickrate in dedicated servers costs money, because it needs faster internet (fiber optics) and better hardware (faster CPUs). Even if ND had dedis, they would most likely take the cheapskate route. :)

In p2p it's essentially "free", since we pay for our internet and our hardware (consoles). The only cost is writing some new code and QA testing it before release.

Josh378

That moment when you team won and you have a good score at the end and still in last place on the team. I know that it's all about the team but to be in last place and your record was good makes me a bit uncomfortable with what i added to the teamwork.

SDR-UK

Well, you could argue that they copied Uncharted Co-op elements (revives, bots etc.)

Uncharted Co-op predates TLOU. No?

And the idea of purchasing things in the match is from Co-op, too? What about the load out points system? How about the change from medals to a score based system?

They took a unique multiplayer (in terms of verticality, movement, mechanics) and basically threw it away in favour of TLOU mechanics with magical bullshit. Essentially what we have right now is TLOU on speed with magic.

...and Uncharted MP is offline?

Uncharted has a single-player component (which is their hallmark). Rocket League doesn't. I'm not defending P2P, I hate it (and today in particular has had the laggiest/craziest glitches I've ever seen in the MP), but I understand where they're coming from.

And the idea of purchasing things in the match is from Co-op, too? What about the load out points system? How about the change from medals to a score based system?

They took a unique multiplayer (in terms of verticality, movement, mechanics) and basically threw it away in favour of TLOU mechanics with magical bullshit. Essentially what we have right now is TLOU on speed with magic.
Yeah, those are from TLOU. A LP system is probably better than fucking up booster slots 2 years after release (yeah, I stopped playing UC3 MP after that awful patch).

The in-game store was put for balance reasons. You now have to earn upgrades, whereas in UC3 MP you had everything from the get-go (from RoF mods to multiple grenade slots). Definitely more skill-based and less casual-friendly.

Uncharted 2 had also copied some stuff from Halo (like power weapon placements). There's no parthenogenesis.

This MP is definitely half-baked and needs many improvements to shine. The medals for example seem to be hastily made. I don't understand why there's no TWE (That Was Embarrassing) in Plunder. I guess ND devs don't love Plunder that much. Despite its shortcomings, it's the most Competitive and BS-free mode gameplay-wise. No camping (TDM) and no welfare (Command Captain). Ranked Plunder would be perfect IMHO.

Maps could be better and more varied instead of the same 3 lane pattern... for example, I loved Highrise's verticality. 90% of the community loathed it though. Maybe we should ask for remastered maps (with some geometry adjustments).

I don't mind Magic, since it belongs in the Uncharted universe lore-wise.

Didn't they add that delay so that people couldn't jerk their character around making it harder for opponents to shoot them? Have they fixed it now?
No, that's a BS excuse. No one did that in gunfights. They would just use Fleet Foot.

The true reason is that people abused it for wall hacks, especially in UC2 MP (pistol shoulder switching while hanging from ledges was nerfed in UC3 MP).

bombshell

So after a bit of a break I'm back playing the MP this weekend to take advantage of the 50% bonus.

Is there any reasonable explanation for why the Plunder idol only spawns in one place on the map? Have they said anything about changing that? I seriously can't wrap my head around why they would destroy what was a very dynamic mode in previous games with such a change.

Drencrom

No, that's a BS excuse. No one did that in gunfights. They would just use Fleet Foot.

The true reason is that people abused it for wall hacks, especially in UC2 MP (pistol shoulder switching while hanging from ledges was nerfed in UC3 MP).

Oh right, makes sense that they would lower the delay now that they fixed all these map exploits by now.

Nev

Banned

Speaking of Fleet Foot, I was glad to see it's not a booster anymore but yesterday there was a guy using it with the stupid HS39 and he was basically impossible to 1v1. They just couldn't completely remove that crap could they.

Is there any reasonable explanation for why the Plunder idol only spawns in one place on the map? Have they said anything about changing that? I seriously can't wrap my head around why they would destroy what was a very dynamic mode in previous games with such a change.
"Too hard to program" multiple spawn points.

Speaking of Fleet Foot, I was glad to see it's not a booster anymore but yesterday there was a guy using it with the stupid HS39 and he was basically impossible to 1v1. They just couldn't completely remove that crap could they.
FF used to have a counter called
Stopping Power
. We don't have that anymore... :\

test_account

XP-39C²
Have there been any words on having a booster that limits the stun time from an explosive? That is by far the most annoying thing in the game, in my opinion. Getting stunned by an explosive and when there is an enemy close by, it sometimes feels like it takes 17 years to recover.

Have there been any words on having a booster that limits the stun time from an explosive? That is by far the most annoying thing in the game, in my opinion. Getting stunned by an explosive and when there is an enemy close by, it sometimes feels like it takes 17 years to recover.
I think Qtrain said they're going to add it... it will probably cost 300 UCP.

It feels like they're keeping things for future DLC.

Nev

Banned
Jesus, will I have to waste my free 200 UCP on fucking Desert Talbot? WILL I? It's the only thing I want and I keep getting shitty weapon and Orca skins for god's sake. Why make the suit default anyways? Sigh.

Can someone remind me about how the old Cintimani was priced? New Cintimani seems cheaper and affordable, and spam isnt so bad

It started at 400 before, I think, and topped out around 1,400. It's definitely cheaper now, but since you only get 1 per purchase it's actually more expensive.

It started at 400 before, I think, and topped out around 1,400. It's definitely cheaper now, but since you only get 1 per purchase it's actually more expensive.

I wish it was $300. It's easy to whiff and it's expensive to use full heals.

Dont mind the nerfs, I just like playinf support

Still hoping for an el dorado activation buff

I feel like c4 is going to be used a lot, especially in command. Easier to hide. Does it have a smaller blast radius than mines?

It's so cheap at 2 LP and $50 cheaper to buy. But Mines seem to have faster respawn rate, i think

With the grenade nerf, I actually think Sure Foot shouldn't come back as a booster.

It would really hurt power weapons like China Lake

So after a bit of a break I'm back playing the MP this weekend to take advantage of the 50% bonus.

Likely another unfinished feature. The game clearly needs a lot more time, when all is said and done with UC4 it's still gonna be outmatched by UC2/3 at launch.

What bothers me more in plunder is people jumping gaps/ledges and even climbing walls while still carrying the idol.

Foxxsoxx

You guys know what this game needs? A crossbow. Have you ever seen a sad person with a crossbow?

On a serious note, I really do miss the melee finishers in Uncharted 3. They were flashy as hell and made melees satisfying, the only thing that broke it was Revenge and that's no longer a booster so I'd love for them to come back because melee is pretty underwhelming in this game and I never thought I'd say that.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
On a serious note, I really do miss the melee finishers in Uncharted 3. They were flashy as hell and made melees satisfying, the only thing that broke it was Revenge and that's no longer a booster so I'd love for them to come back.
I LOVED getting lagged punched and watching the enemy teleport to me to do the finisher. It was the best!! !!!!!

I LOVED getting lagged punched and watching the enemy teleport to me to do the finisher. It was the best!! !!!!!

Now they just hit 2-3 time even though you're 5-10ft away after the first hit.

Also what is with the downed dickheads who wait until you run all the over to them, then suicide. They have health remaining. Are they waiting for a friend, but if the friend cannot do it then fuck you no points and a death for the team?

Foxxsoxx

Now they just hit 2-3 time even though you're 5-10ft away after the first hit.

Also what is with the downed dickheads who wait until you run all the over to them, then suicide. They have health remaining. Are they waiting for a friend, but if the friend cannot do it then fuck you no points and a death for the team?

You're implying randoms in this game have any sign of intelligent life.

I honestly think of my teammates as husks that block bullets for me because that's really all they seem to be good for.

Top Bottom