• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Multiplayer |OT| Swinging To Victory

Foxxsoxx

After going back and watching some Uncharted 2/3 videos, I really do miss the cha-ching kill sound effect and doing stealth kills. As many things as U4 does right, I can't help but feel sad it could do more.

Yeah.

ND and their stupid 15 Hz tickrate...

Things like this is why Uncharted MP will never be taken seriously.

After going back and watching some Uncharted 2/3 videos, I really do miss the cha-ching kill sound effect and doing stealth kills. As many things as U4 does right, I can't help but feel sad it could do more.

Stealth kills bum me out so much. To do a proper (but not quite the same) one now you have to spend 14 LP (Explosive Awarness 3 so you can disable mines and C4, Stealth 3 so you can't easily be marked/seen, and Ghost 2 so your charged melee is silent) AND hope there's no Sidekicks around to flush you out. God I miss U2 aka GOAT.

Foxxsoxx

Stealth kills bum me out so much. To do a proper (but not quite the same) one now you have to spend 14 LP (Explosive Awarness 3 so you can disable mines and C4, Stealth 3 so you can't easily be marked/seen, and Ghost 2 so your charged melee is silent) AND hope there's no Sidekicks around to flush you out. God I miss U2 aka GOAT.

And it isn't instant or that ever so satisfying neck snap that just seals the deal.

Foxxsoxx

Whose idea was it to remove stealth kills from the MP, even though the Campaign has them? Cogburn?

Yeah they were a staple to the MP for me, melee needed to be toned down but they pretty much made it unusable in U4, and I never thought I'd ever say those words.

Also in the beta, your customization items would change color depending on your skin, which was an awesome feature, just gone.

Has anyone else had a problem where you change your weapon skin in the Customization menu but it stays the same in-game? If so, how do I fix it? I equipped Golden Guns at launch but now I want to switch to carbon/black so I can't be as easily spotted while hanging from ledges, but it reverts to Golden Guns during a match. It's really annoying and hopefully I'm just doing something obviously wrong.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Has anyone else had a problem where you change your weapon skin in the Customization menu but it stays the same in-game? If so, how do I fix it? I equipped Golden Guns at launch but now I want to switch to carbon/black so I can't be as easily spotted while hanging from ledges, but it reverts to Golden Guns during a match. It's really annoying and hopefully I'm just doing something obviously wrong.

Are you using a regular gun or a hero weapon? Hero weapons have preset skins.

Javin98

Banned
So this weekend, I finally returned to the MP after 3 weeks of putting it down. The MP is still amazingly fun, but I'm still getting white plugs in some matches. The thing is, when everyone has three or four bars, I can play an entire match without encountering the white plug at all. Worst case scenario, once or twice. When the match has five two bar players or more, I get the white plugs quite frequently. I just quit a match because of this. Clearly, my Internet speed is not the main issue here. ND just needs to get their shit together and fix the damn netcode.

So this weekend, I finally returned to the MP after 3 weeks of putting it down. The MP is still amazingly fun, but I'm still getting white plugs in some matches. The thing is, when everyone has three or four bars, I can play an entire match without encountering the white plug at all. Worst case scenario, once or twice. When the match has five two bar players or more, I get the white plugs quite frequently. I just quit a match because of this. Clearly, my Internet speed is not the main issue here. ND just needs to get their shit together and fix the damn netcode.
Since I have a high speed connection and I monitor my ping on my PC, I'm convinced that ND's netcode measures packet loss with the host only and that's exactly what triggers the white plug of doom.

This means that if a host with a shitty/overtaxed connection experiences packet loss, then everyone in that lobby will be penalized with a big fat white plug. Really sloppy coding IMHO.

Solution: measure packet loss with ALL players and only if you experience packet loss with ALL of them you should get the white plug of doom. If you only have packet loss with the host, then it's not your fault! If you have packet loss with ALL players (everyone will have 1-2 bars), then it's 99.9% your connection's fault (unless they're from China or whatever, lol).

Btw, this is a very interesting video about lag & netcode in general: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EwaW2iz4iA

Javin98

Banned
Since I have a high speed connection and I monitor my ping on my PC, I'm convinced that ND's netcode measures packet loss with the host only and that's exactly what triggers the white plug of doom.

This means that if a host with a shitty/overtaxed connection experiences packet loss, then everyone in that lobby will be penalized with a big fat white plug. Really sloppy coding IMHO.

Solution: measure packet loss with ALL players and only if you experience packet loss with ALL of them you should get the white plug of doom. If you only have packet loss with the host, then it's not your fault! If you have packet loss with ALL players (everyone will have 1-2 bars), then it's 99.9% your connection's fault (unless they're from China or whatever, lol).

Btw, this is a very interesting video about lag & netcode in general: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EwaW2iz4iA
Hehe, this is one of those moments where my head spins. Great explaination, but I haven't been in the MP scene long enough to know what all of this really means.

Hehe, this is one of those moments where my head spins. Great explaination, but I haven't been in the MP scene long enough to know what all of this really means.
Network communication is performed in "slices" of data. These are called "packets".

i.e. if the game (netcode) expects your connection to receive/transmit 100 packets per second with other players and your connection can only receive/transmit 50 packets per second, then the rest of the packets will be discarded, hence "packet loss".

Javin98

Banned
Network communication is performed in "slices" of data. These are called "packets".

i.e. if the game (netcode) expects your connection to receive/transmit 100 packets per second with other players and your connection can only receive/transmit 50 packets per second, then the rest of the packets will be discarded, hence "packet loss".
I see. Also, this is the first time I experienced it, but tonight, I've had the whole match turn into a laggy fess. I mean, everyone drops down to one bar and I can't do shit. What gives??

I can still browse the Internet without issues at the same time on my phone, so what is the issue?

I see. Also, this is the first time I experienced it, but tonight, I've had the whole match turn into a laggy fess. I mean, everyone drops down to one bar and I can't do shit. What gives??
This probably means that your connection had packet loss/latency spike (could also be your WiFi, unless you're wired).

You can do this on a PC (preferably a wired one):

Start -> Run -> cmd.exe

You type this command and press enter:

Code:
ping -t 8.8.8.8

That's Google's DNS IP address, but you can use another one if you want (i.e. a server in your country).

You want your ping values to remain constant with almost no deviation (latency spikes/jitter) and very few lost/dropped packets.

You can stop pinging by pressing Ctrl + C.

Javin98

Banned
This probably means that your connection had packet loss/latency spike (could also be your WiFi, unless you're wired).

You can do this on a PC (preferably a wired one):

Start -> Run -> cmd.exe

You type this command and press enter:

Code:
ping -t 8.8.8.8

That's Google's DNS IP address, but you can use another one if you want (i.e. a server in your country).

You want your ping values to remain constant with almost no deviation (latency spikes/jitter) and very few lost/dropped packets.

You can stop pinging by pressing Ctrl + C.
Strangely enough, it seems my PS4 is unable to access online features at all when this happens. The issue is only fixed when I reset the connection.

NastyBook

Well, of course I will, the SP is made by people that actually know what the fuck they're doing.
Nf2ELsa.gif

It has to be something with your connection. I have a 60/25 connection and I have not experienced a single white plug since the first couple of weeks when it was a universal problem. I've definitely experienced lag and all of its wonderful side effects, but I've literally not had a white plug in three months.

Javin98

Banned
It has to be something with your connection. I have a 60/25 connection and I have not experienced a single white plug since the first couple of weeks when it was a universal problem. I've definitely experienced lag and all of its wonderful side effects, but I've literally not had a white plug in three months.
Do you often get matched up with players with two bars? Also, when ND themselves experience white plugs, something is clearly wrong.

Whose idea was it to remove stealth kills from the MP, even though the Campaign has them? Cogburn?

Stealth kills are a problem in MP because they are camera relative not character relative and camera and character orientation are not attached.

So, you can't get a stealth kill in U2 if a guy's camera is looking at you, which causes a pretty awkward situation when you get a regular melee attack rather than the stealth kill. In U4, this would be even worse, as the default melee is weaker.

It's never been a very good system and I think it was probably removed because of that issue, rather than anything else.

Stealth kills are a problem in MP because they are camera relative not character relative and camera and character orientation are not attached.

So, you can't get a stealth kill in U2 if a guy's camera is looking at you, which causes a pretty awkward situation when you get a regular melee attack rather than the stealth kill. In U4, this would be even worse, as the default melee is weaker.

It's never been a very good system and I think it was probably removed because of that issue, rather than anything else.

This makes sense but how often does someone just sit still if they see an enemy coming from behind them in an exposed position? You would/should start shooting or run away, negating the stealth opportunity. I haven't played U2 in years but I don't remember this ever being a problem.

This makes sense but how often does someone just sit still if they see an enemy coming from behind them in an exposed position? You would/should start shooting or run away, negating the stealth opportunity. I haven't played U2 in years but I don't remember this ever being a problem.
Out of the hundreds of hours I put into U2/3 MP, I can only think of a dozen or so times that happened to me. And I played many matches doing nothing but melee/stealth kills.

I think they took out stealth kills, melee finishers, cover-to-cover melee, and other stuff because the bots, magic and 60fps eat up too much resources.

I saw the white plug again today when 4 players suddenly (!!!) lost their bars mid-match... it seems to happen with certain players only. Everything goes haywire and the lag makes the match almost unplayable.

I tried 3 different games and all of them say that I have Open NAT. My PS4 says NAT Type 2. Checked my ping also and it was fine.

I don't know what the hell is going on with this fucking game and its shitty host migration algorithm... hell, there's not even a UI notification about it (UC2 MP had one).

Javin98

Banned
Yeah definitely. No, I'm almost always 4 and sometimes 3.
See? That's the difference. I'm frequently matched up with players with two bars. Perhaps it's because there aren't enough players in the SEA region, but even then, I still blame ND for their shitty netcode. When the match consists of only three and four bars players, I can play through it without even a single white plug.

stryke

See? That's the difference. I'm frequently matched up with players with two bars. Perhaps it's because there aren't enough players in the SEA region, but even then, I still blame ND for their shitty netcode. When the match consists of only three and four bars players, I can play through it without even a single white plug.

Living in Australia I haven't had a white plug for a couple of weeks and most of the time I see 3 or 4 bars. It's not SEA but we can party up sometime and see how that goes.

It's not that explicit all of the time, perhaps more often that it causes you to extend into situations where you think you might be able to get a stealth kill, only to get shot immediately.

Like if I come behind a group of guys on Call of Duty, I can guarantee that they're facing the direction they're headed, so I'm free to go up and melee them if I wanted to, but on Uncharted that opportunity isn't necessarily there, and stepping out gives them the chance to shoot first which will generally cause you to lose the encounter.

Generally it was never a problem for me because I would never go for steath kills because I could never tell which way the guy I was flanking, was facing. Easier to gun or frag them down for a guaranteed kill. The only way you could guarantee an assassination was if someone was shooting in a particular direction. Either way, I do not think it was a very well designed mechanic. It would be fine in a game where camera and player orientation were attached, but the ambiguity makes it a bit messy here, so I do think the reason it's missing is more merely something they couldn't fit in.

The awful tick rate would also cause people to get stealth killed when on there screen they were looking right at the guy. That would be yet another netcode related annoyance that's exacerbated by the games design (like pulls downs right now, which are also, quite annoying due to lag).

Javin98

Banned
Living in Australia I haven't had a white plug for a couple of weeks and most of the time I see 3 or 4 bars. It's not SEA but we can party up sometime and see how that goes.
Sure, just to see how good (or bad) the connection will be. Just to add, I used to party up with a GAFfer from South Korea and my connection to his was three bars most of the time.

It's not that explicit all of the time, perhaps more often that it causes you to extend into situations where you think you might be able to get a stealth kill, only to get shot immediately.

Like if I come behind a group of guys on Call of Duty, I can guarantee that they're facing the direction they're headed, so I'm free to go up and melee them if I wanted to, but on Uncharted that opportunity isn't necessarily there, and stepping out gives them the chance to shoot first which will generally cause you to lose the encounter.

Generally it was never a problem for me because I would never go for steath kills because I could never tell which way the guy I was flanking, was facing. Easier to gun or frag them down for a guaranteed kill. The only way you could guarantee an assassination was if someone was shooting in a particular direction. Either way, I do not think it was a very well designed mechanic. It would be fine in a game where camera and player orientation were attached, but the ambiguity makes it a bit messy here, so I do think the reason it's missing is more merely something they couldn't fit in.

The awful tick rate would also cause people to get stealth killed when on there screen they were looking right at the guy. That would be yet another netcode related annoyance that's exacerbated by the games design (like pulls downs right now, which are also, quite annoying due to lag).
They should fix camera issues in general. For example, climbing is a bit awkward because of that.

Host advantage in this day and age is incomprehensible.

Think I'm gonna put the game on the shelf for a while and come back every now and then when dlc is released.

It just can't be taken seriously.

It caps at 250 after a 4 day absence. It does not add anymore after the fact.

Yeah, so weak. It should give them in perpetuity. If you log on after a long time you may need relics to buy new guns or other items so having a stash would allow people to catch up quicker and be more likely to keep playing.

On a related note, having to unlock LP seriously handicaps the experience for newcomers. They added an LP unlock chest, which helps a bit, but it's still an unfriendly system. This isn't a unique problem to ND as COD does the same thing.

Creaking

Yeah, so weak. It should give them in perpetuity. If you log on after a long time you may need relics to buy new guns or other items so having a stash would allow people to catch up quicker and be more likely to keep playing.

On a related note, having to unlock LP seriously handicaps the experience for newcomers. They added an LP unlock chest, which helps a bit, but it's still an unfriendly system. This isn't a unique problem to ND as COD does the same thing.

No it doesn't. The amount of loadout points never changes in Call of Duty. In Black Ops 3, everyone has 10 points to spend within their loadouts, and that's it.

If you mean it does the same thing in the sense that some weapons and equipment are locked until you level up, giving an advantage to leveled up players, then I guess I see that. It's not as straightforward as simply having more points to build a better loadout though, like in Uncharted 4.

No it doesn't. The amount of loadout points never changes in Call of Duty. In Black Ops 3, everyone has 10 points to spend within their loadouts, and that's it.

If you mean it does the same thing in the sense that some weapons and equipment are locked until you level up, giving an advantage to leveled up players, then I guess I see that. It's not as straightforward as simply having more points to build a better loadout though, like in Uncharted 4.

My bad, that's what I meant.

Today I saw someone flickering* really bad... like 5 Hz bad. Even his sidecock was spazzing out (it reminded me of UC3 Co-op lag). He had 1 red bar.

* Something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6qTADSNGPs

Good luck getting hitmarkers on him... this is 100 times worse than Fleet Foot Gold.

I don't understand why these players are allowed to move at all, while players with better connections see the white plug. I mean if I (and other players) receive 5 Hz animation frames from him, our consoles should send a "signal" to the host to inform him that this player is lagging like a mofo, and therefore he should be frozen permanently.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
FFS revert back matchmaking ND. admit you screwed up and change it back to how it was.

Let's find people of my skill level to play against, but let me have the stupidest, most fucking worthless team mates in my team to face off against players of my skill level while getting lag in the process. I'm dropping TDM. If it's not that, it's garbage late joins with no hope of catching up..

Getting real fucking tired of this.

Creaking

FFS revert back matchmaking ND. admit you screwed up and change it back to how it was.

Let's find people of my skill level to play against, but let me have the stupidest, most fucking worthless team mates in my team to face off against players of my skill level while getting lag in the process. I'm dropping TDM. If it's not that, it's garbage late joins with no hope of catching up..

Getting real fucking tired of this.

I just dropped the whole thing. Uninstalled the game. Feel free of a burden. Maybe I'll come back if they magic up some miracle patch. I doubt it though.

Sayad

Yeah.

ND and their stupid 15 Hz tickrate...
I remember killing someone who killed me by execution with a shotgun in Uncharted 3, I shot him, he grabbed me and killed me, only to die from my shot afterward. Is such madness still a thing in Uncharted 4?

stryke

I remember killing someone who killed me by execution with a shotgun in Uncharted 3, I shot him, he grabbed me and killed me, only to die from my shot afterward. Is such madness still a thing in Uncharted 4?

The worst I've seen is someone getting suckered in 4 metres away into my ledge pulldown.

Top Bottom