• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Multiplayer |OT| Swinging To Victory

Murkas

In co-op when playing with friends does only the party leader have the ability to choose their character? My friends were telling me they weren't getting a choice never had time to investigate myself really since I've been busy.

I think you have to be like level 2 or 3 before you can start picking your character, that's what I've noticed when I first played it and my friends couldn't choose their characters at first.

Also I think the game randomly chooses heroes or villains for you, I've tried using R2 to change teams, blue or red but once you start the game and it prepares matchmaking it auto gives you blue and then you get a random choice of heroes or villains.

Christos

Um, tried playing this earlier and the d-pad, L1 and L3 buttons weren't working... So weird. Couldn't grapple or change weapons.

Anyone have this happen before?

I've had a friend that had this happen to him while we were playing survival, he thought his controller broke or something.

Shin-Ra

How do I access solo mode? Is it doable to finish all stages in Light difficulty?

I just want to get the trophies I'm missing...
Start the co-op normally (you still have to be connected online) and select private match (friends only) and hope no friends try to join you.

The stage 40 boss onwards will probably give the most trouble but I've only done 1-5 and 46-50 solo intentionally.

Rajang

They need to fix this matchmaking. I just waited 15 minutes for a game of bounty hunter, what the hell? My connection is fine, it just keeps showing people in the lobby and then when we get close to a full game, it drops the players.

Any skill based element needs to go, it slows match making time down. Network quality only, what's the point in adding all of this content into a game that I can barely play?

The matchmaking is quite long for me as well. I even timed it at one point and it was 9:58. : /

Started using the M4 tonight. Really like it.

Yeah, one of my favorite guns now.

Co-op is a lot of fun but one issue I have with it is that the additional difficulties don't really change anything, because of the passive HP and damage system that increases with your level, the higher difficulties don't feel drastically different.

When I played normal for the first time it felt hard, then when I hit level 20 it felt easy, and the same is true for hard, when I was level 20, it felt difficult, but when once I hit level 40, it felt easy. The rpg systems mitigate the difficulty advancement and in the end you only get a challenging experience on Crushing.

It's a far cry from previous Uncharted co-op offerings in that regard, where advancement in difficulty offered a drastic change in the required strategy. The time pressure doesn't help with this, as you're not free to diversify your strategies, ultimately the best strategy for every round on every difficulty is whatever gets it done fastest, which tends to be whatever puts you in the thick of the action. In Uncharted 2 the albeit simplistic co-op structure was in the long term, much more flexible, because you didn't feel compelled to clear the enemies as quickly as possible, and therefore you could experiment with different strategies and orientating your defense towards different parts of the map.

Here, you play in the middle of the map if you want the stars. You use whatever kills them quickly, and when you do defend an area, it's via Siege, which is always the same area. It's not as flexible and I think although I really enjoy this 50 wave campaign, traditional co-operative survival where more emphasis is placed on merely surviving, has more long term sustainability. That isn't to say that I'm not enjoying survival tremendously, for the moment, but once I've gotten all the stars on Crushing, I feel that I'm unlikely to look back because the strategy employed from one run to the next is largely the same.

In Uncharted 2, beating Crushing on just one map was as big of an ordeal as the entire campaign is. Uncharted 4's co-op feels less like 'survival' and more like a speed run or race. Which is fine and fun in its own right, but some real survival content would help, and I'd like the ability to stick to one map if I wish to. The extra modes that will unlock at a later date might help with this.

If you want to buy the game for a friend or rebuy it if you traded it away, its on sale for $29.99 at best buy for 2 days - $24 with GCU. Lowest price I've seen on it in a while. Sadly physical only, not digital, but it works online or in store.

TripOpt55

Got a few matches on Trainwreck and Prison tonight. Felt right at home on Trainwreck. Prison took a bit getting used to, but it seems pretty cool. I have pulled off two matches without dying in TDM since switching to the M4 (pretty rare for me), so I am definitely going to keep using it for now. Try and unlock all the mods/Hero Weapons. This might be my new go-to gun (had been using the HS39).

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I've posted in the main forums and on here about the lack of classic Uncharted music so from the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU Naughty Dog for releasing classic music into the MP. You have no idea how happy this has made me. Hearing these classics on this iteration feels RIGHT AT HOME. I also love that they added even more dialogue in co-op. I hope that with continued support (more classic maps maybe) that they'll continue to add more music. God, hearing Nate's theme again was an incredible experience for me.

Nev

Banned
I've posted in the main forums and on here about the lack of classic Uncharted music so from the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU Naughty Dog for releasing classic music into the MP. You have no idea how happy this has made me. Hearing these classics on this iteration feels RIGHT AT HOME. I also love that they added even more dialogue in co-op. I hope that with continued support (more classic maps maybe) that they'll continue to add more music. God, hearing Nate's theme again was an incredible experience for me.

Yeah this is the best part of the update no doubt. Loved to hear Nate's Theme again and loved the ghost pirates. Fuck Druckmann.

Now they only need to bring back classic mode, the classic kill sound and more classic maps. In the vein of Train Wreck with minimal changes, not the awful new Village.

Train wreck is a... train wreck.

Stand on the roof of the mid-train and you can watch the opposing team spawn by rotating sides. Also this game has few reservations about spawning people onto mines / C4 so you can set those up if you like. It's very predictable due to the fact that like Village, the map only has a small number of spawns.

Plays fine when it's not being abused like this though. I haven't seen anyone do it, it's just something I noticed when sitting on top of the mid train. Wouldn't want to play ranked on this map though.

SlickVic

I'm really liking Survival mode as it's the type of casual horde mode I'm looking for. Solo play with AI and the ability to pick which wave you start at. Haven't tried it yet but I heard AI can replace players who drop out? That's pretty big for me if true, since people dropping out mid-match in Gears 4 Horde mode was one of the reasons I lost interest in playing public matches over there.

Only thing I don't get is a solid 80-90% of the time I play it makes me spawn as a villain. Figured it would be a 50-50 split.

I'm really liking Survival mode as it's the type of casual horde mode I'm looking for. Solo play with AI and the ability to pick which wave you start at. Haven't tried it yet but I heard AI can replace players who drop out? That's pretty big for me if true, since people dropping out mid-match in Gears 4 Horde mode was one of the reasons I lost interest in playing public matches over there.

Only thing I don't get is a solid 80-90% of the time I play it makes me spawn as a villain. Figured it would be a 50-50 split.

I'm a huge fan of both games (Gears of War 4 and Uncharted 4) and while I feel Horde 3.0 has much more depth and long-term viability, I'd agree Survival is a much more accessible experience.

You can play it solo with an AI companion and have a good time. You can also join mid-session which, outside of friend invites, you can't do in Horde 3.0.

Factor in intermissions where you've got people dropping in and out, and you never reach a point where progression is impossible.

A much more casual progression system also makes it easier to switch up your playstyle on the fly.

In those areas, Survival is great and has Horde 3.0 beat.

However, Naughty Dog has hampered the lifespan of the mode by diluting the experience and taking control away from the player.

Collecting treasures and defending specific points on the map seem like neat evolutions of the simple survival formula at first, but you soon realise it dramatically reduces its replayability (as stated above).

It's the same in every run which means your strategies are the same which means the gameplay is the same.

I suppose this is turning into a mini-review, but I think it's a really interesting comparison to make.

For my money, Gears of War 4 has a more flexible, feature-rich horde mode with a greater variety of enemies, randomised challenges and intricateces.

However, quitting is a huge problem and Uncharted 4 is much more accessible.

I love both modes for different reasons. I'd highly recommend them both.

I really hate how no ammo spawns at the weapon crates unless it's a boss round, makes the "X downs with X weapon" challenges a pain in the ass because you often run out of ammo when the enemies use different weapons than the one you need.

Stupid decision.

Foxxsoxx

I really hate how no ammo spawns at the weapon crates unless it's a boss round, makes the "X downs with X weapon" challenges a pain in the ass because you often run out of ammo when the enemies use different weapons than the one you need.

Stupid decision.

I think it's dumb that enemies only use certain guns per map. It's just less variety that way and some weapons never get used.

bombshell

Stupid decision.

Why a pain? I often find that I'm swimming in money and it's fairly cheap to buy a long gun / pistol from the arsenal.

I think it's dumb that enemies only use certain guns per map. It's just less variety that way and some weapons never get used.

Guess that's because there's so many guns now compared to U2, they can't give each weapon a unique enemy to wield it anymore.

Why a pain? I often find that I'm swimming in money and it's fairly cheap to buy a long gun / pistol from the arsenal.

I have to spend 2 seconds in the menu, completely vulnerable, to refill ammo. And if you just want to complete the challenge (say 90 HS39 KOs) you have to either play the same map or two where the enemies use it over and over, or you have to buy it at the start with your $600, and you'll usually run out of ammo for it before getting another $600.

It's needlessly clunky when the ammo dispensing is already in the game but just turned off outside of boss waves because reasons.

They should just have the crates drop ammo, or have enemy ammo drops be universal -- meaning you KO a guy that was using a rifle > you get rifle ammo, KO a pistol guy > pistol ammo, KO a sniper guy > sniper ammo etc.

WarWolf

Fuck Druckmann.

This is ridiculous. Lets become part of the toxic internet culture and shit on people because "I don't like thing." You complain endlessly yet you've been playing this game for half a year. This game isn't going to become what you want it to be. Deal with it or move on.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
My friend and I completed hard which was a bitch since that's what we started on. Just him and I. We were like level 37 too when we beat it. Spent 4 hours to beat New Devon with just the two of us lol. I think the hardest part was siege with el Dorado specters on KO, which was brutal. It felt so good to beat hard with just 2 players instead of 3.

Then I helped another friend complete his hard playthrough with 2 other people and man was it so easy. We kept getting 3 stars every single time the majority of the time. So we beat it and started crushing for a bit and honestly didn't find it that bad either. After being in hell beating hard with just one other friend nothing in crushing phases me... yet. Been getting 3 stars from the get go in crushing as well. this is of course with 3 people. Can't imagine it with 2 like we did on hard lol

AKyemeni

My friend and I completed hard which was a bitch since that's what we started on. Just him and I. We were like level 37 too when we beat it. Spent 4 hours to beat New Devon with just the two of us lol. I think the hardest part was siege with el Dorado specters on KO, which was brutal. It felt so good to beat hard with just 2 players instead of 3.

Then I helped another friend complete his hard playthrough with 2 other people and man was it so easy. We kept getting 3 stars every single time the majority of the time. So we beat it and started crushing for a bit and honestly didn't find it that bad either. After being in hell beating hard with just one other friend nothing in crushing phases me... yet. Been getting 3 stars from the get go in crushing as well. this is of course with 3 people. Can't imagine it with 2 like we did on hard lol
River and New Devon will be your worst nightmare on Crushing.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Oh I'm sure New Devon is gonna be hell in crushing. It was already a bitch on hard and even a challenge with 3 people. That siege objective is just omg. Unbelievable.

SlickVic

I'm a huge fan of both games (Gears of War 4 and Uncharted 4) and while I feel Horde 3.0 has much more depth and long-term viability, I'd agree Survival is a much more accessible experience.

You can play it solo with an AI companion and have a good time. You can also join mid-session which, outside of friend invites, you can't do in Horde 3.0.

Factor in intermissions where you've got people dropping in and out, and you never reach a point where progression is impossible.

A much more casual progression system also makes it easier to switch up your playstyle on the fly.

In those areas, Survival is great and has Horde 3.0 beat.

However, Naughty Dog, in typical Naughty Dog fashion, has hampered the lifespan of the mode by diluting the experience and taking control away from the player.

Collecting treasures and defending specific points on the map seem like neat evolutions of the simple survival formula at first, but you soon realise it dramatically reduces its replayability (as stated above).

It's the same in every run which means your strategies are the same which means the gameplay is the same.

I suppose this is turning into a mini-review, but I think it's a really interesting comparison to make.

For my money, Gears of War 4 has a more flexible, feature-rich horde mode with a greater variety of enemies, randomised challenges and intricateces.

However, quitting is a huge problem and Uncharted 4 is much more accessible.

I love both modes for different reasons. I'd highly recommend them both.

Yeah those are great points. For me, I'll probably run through it solo once and do maybe a couple runs with some friends. I guess I've never been one to spend that much time in horde mode (even though I really like the concept) and I usually fall off them before the repetition sets in. I think the Horde mode I stuck with the longest was Mass Effect 3's, but I think that was as much about liking the lore and finally being able to play as different alien races for the first time in that series as it was about the mechanics of the mode.

I think they should separate the vanity items into multiple chests: taunts, skins, colors etc.

Not gonna bother with vanities if they don't address this issue.

J-Skee

Is there a reason why I only am able to select villains in Survival? Haven't been able to play as a hero since my first level.

Dundar

Things I don't like in Survival:

1) Pirate Warlords! All the TWO of them!
Fighting skinned brutes in stage 6 and 8 sucks.
Also, they're such bullet sponges and, frankly, unfun and unfair to fight against :(

2) Siege mode. You have the best movement and the most fluid iteration of uncharted combat, but somehow Siege finds its place. Stuck in a small room, fighting mobs which release indra or eldorado AND sometimes with a time limit to boot :/
Also stage 4 has two sieges. Bummer

3) Stars are linked to time. Nothing else. Basically everything that is META gets used, otherwise it's useless.

4) Unlocks and levelling..... basically makes fighting on hard or crushing soon much more frustrating than it needs to be. I honestly think it should be levelled, so that people who are not lv50 can stand a chance playing with their friends.
Booster and weapons were already sufficient in the unlock list imho.

5) Certain "get all the treasure objectives" played solo are basically impossibile. I'm thinking the River one, mainly.

6) I'd like some kind of randomization in the waves. It gets so repetitive replaying the same waves over and over again.

7) 30fps :((((

chaosaeon

It's great to hear the superior OST of the Uncharted franchise again.

Something to hum along to. Nothing memorable about UC4 music.

Yeah what happened with Edmonson that he wasn't involved with UC4 ? UC4 has almost no memorable tracks (no less on the level of some like Reunion from UC2 or Drake's Elegy from UC1 https://youtu.be/aFArQuYsZro?list=PL8KyWN8ADp2hHsLBJ4WGrDv3vcsXx8JCr&t=50).

UC4's soundtrack comes off like the composer looked up the UC1 ost on youtube, listened to it for 15 minutes, and said "Sure I can do that." Also, I recall hearing the same little bits of music repeated over and over in UC4 as well.

Nev

Banned
Edmonson was too cheerful for Druckmann I suppose.

U4 soundtrack has a few good tracks like Cut to the chase, New Devon, The Twelve Towers or For Better or Worse, and Nate's theme rendition isn't too bad. It could've gone way wrong-er. Edmonson's OST are still quite superior and fitting anways.

It's great they brought them back. Let's hope Druckmann doesn't force nate's theme out of the multiplayer menu.

Things I don't like in Survival:

1) Pirate Warlords! All the TWO of them!
Fighting skinned brutes in stage 6 and 8 sucks.
Also, they're such bullet sponges and, frankly, unfun and unfair to fight against :(

2) Siege mode. You have the best movement and the most fluid iteration of uncharted combat, but somehow Siege finds its place. Stuck in a small room, fighting mobs which release indra or eldorado AND sometimes with a time limit to boot :/
Also stage 4 has two sieges. Bummer

3) Stars are linked to time. Nothing else. Basically everything that is META gets used, otherwise it's useless.

4) Unlocks and levelling..... basically makes fighting on hard or crushing soon much more frustrating than it needs to be. I honestly think it should be levelled, so that people who are not lv50 can stand a chance playing with their friends.
Booster and weapons were already sufficient in the unlock list imho.

5) Certain "get all the treasure objectives" played solo are basically impossibile. I'm thinking the River one, mainly.

6) I'd like some kind of randomization in the waves. It gets so repetitive replaying the same waves over and over again.

7) 30fps :((((

Agree with the stars. They make it very boring to play. Basically you play optimally, or don't bother. They should have had different criteria for each star. One for a minimum clear time (a modest time, like the first star that we currently have now), one for no team wipes, and another for something else like beating the final wave without a single player being KOed.

jwk94

So, I beat Survival on Easy this weekend, but the final boss battle was really weird. My friend and I staggered the boss and he just never recovered. He was glitched there for around half of his life. We just went to town on him while taking care of the brute, when needed. We got him down to 1/6 health and the battle just ended and we won. Has this happened to anyone else?

EDIT:
Here's a gif, because having this many lock and loads is awesome.

Uncharted-4-Survival-Lock-Load.gif

Kalentan

Anyone feel like in Survival the spawn rate of enemies is too slow?

Like in the Train Wreck Stage. I can't imagine getting under 3:30 just because the enemies come in what appears to be waves.

jwk94

Like in the Train Wreck Stage. I can't imagine getting under 3:30 just because the enemies come in what appears to be waves.

Yeah, I get that they want you to have a bit of breathing room instead of throwing the whole kitchen sink at you, but it gets really annoying.

Foxxsoxx

Yeah for Train Wreck Siege you pretty much gotta cheese it and rush the first 4 rounds very quickly to get it.

TripOpt55

Agree with the stars. They make it very boring to play. Basically you play optimally, or don't bother. They should have had different criteria for each star. One for a minimum clear time (a modest time, like the first star that we currently have now), one for no team wipes, and another for something else like beating the final wave without a single player being KOed.

I really like this idea for the stars. Would be much more fun than just going for quicker times.

I think they should separate the vanity items into multiple chests: taunts, skins, colors etc.

Agreed, but i doubt they will do that, since that would defeat the whole purpose of these colours, which is to make sure that people will have as hard a time as possible trying to unlock stuff they actually want, which in turn will make them more inclined towards buying Uncharted points. Do you seriously see many people spending relics on these garish colour combinations if they had the choice? Not that it was easy to unlock exactly what you wanted before, with all the palette swap pre-sets. Despite playing regularly since launch and spending everything on vanity chests i still only had 2/3 of all vanity items before this update, but at this rate it will take years to unlock everything, and that's before adding all the items from the upcoming winter and spring updates.

chaosaeon

Edmonson was too cheerful for Druckmann I suppose.

U4 soundtrack has a few good tracks like Cut to the chase, New Devon, The Twelve Towers or For Better or Worse, and Nate's theme rendition isn't too bad. It could've gone way wrong-er. Edmonson's OST are still quite superior and fitting anways.

It's great they brought them back. Let's hope Druckmann doesn't force nate's theme out of the multiplayer menu.

A few good tracks is not exactly great, especially when the great tracks from this game sound almost the same as each other and are still pretty forgettable. The only piece of music I remembered from the game was part of the New Devon track that played during the ballroom shootout in Italy (for some reason), but even that isn't particularly unique considering listening to this for 15 seconds :
https://youtu.be/b8e7YnMHNU8?t=122
And then this : https://youtu.be/396GHd8wpXU?t=123
Notice anything ?
It's serviceable but I wouldn't say it compares. It's all just kind of basic and doesn't have the creative flavors the previous ones added by using more than just expected instruments.

Agreed, but i doubt they will do that, since that would defeat the whole purpose of these colours, which is to make sure that people will have as hard a time as possible trying to unlock stuff they actually want, which in turn will make them more inclined towards buying Uncharted points. Do you seriously see many people spending relics on these garish colour combinations if they had the choice? Not that it was easy to unlock exactly what you wanted before, with all the palette swap pre-sets. Despite playing regularly since launch and spending everything on vanity chests i still only had 2/3 of all vanity items before this update, but at this rate it will take years to unlock everything, and that's before adding all the items from the upcoming winter and spring updates.

Yeah, it's ridiculous. You need to spend something like 50k relics to get all the colors. I'd be OK with the way it is if when you got one color, it unlocked for every character, none of this unlock-the-same-color-15-times bullshit.

But they need to force NDbucks down everyone's throats...

Shin-Ra

I just unlocked Crushing and the time targets are longer (4:25 vs 3:30 on Train Wreck) and the AI runs towards you quicker.

Speedy G and Enhanced Radar 2 really help you track down targets quickly too.

There's no point in buying more UCP. I'm not a fan of NDnomics 2.0.

I'll just ignore everything vanity-related, since they don't affect the gameplay.

Next time people ask for more colors, they should really think of the consequences... I warned them that it would cost an absurd amount of relics, in true ND fashion.

ps: Locking Co-op one-use boosters (those are gameplay-related) behind a paywall is also pretty scummy.

Top Bottom