• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Multiplayer |OT| Swinging To Victory

The time to unlock is quite high for lots of things
But is it completely random for some abilities? Or are the mystery chests just cosmetic?

Is it as annoying as Uncharted 2's unlock times where you'd to get to level 40 odds before you could apply the ability to stop high levels seeing low levels through walls?

xRaizen

What? The development cost being higher is because it takes longer time to develop, so not sure what you are getting at.
That they had more time and put out what essentially has less than half the content that was in previous MP's in the series? I mean seriously they couldn't get anything more than TDM, Plunder, and a variation of Domination out for launch? No co-op either and we won't be getting it for AT LEAST 6 months (if it doesn't get delayed!)?

MP just really seems half-assed or an afterthought to ND which is really weird considering that U2 and U3 were pretty popular in their prime.

Don't even get me started on the maps themselves, only 2, maybe 3 of them actually feel like an Uncharted map.

TP-DK

That they had more time and put out what essentially has less than half the content that was in previous MP's in the series? I mean seriously they couldn't get anything more than TDM, Plunder, and a variation of Domination out for launch? No co-op either and we won't be getting it for AT LEAST 6 months (if it doesn't get delayed!)?

MP just really seems half-assed or an afterthought to ND which is really weird considering that U2 and U3 were pretty popular in their prime.

Don't even get me started on the maps themselves, only 2, maybe 3 of them actually feel like an Uncharted map.

Which gets me back to how development cost have gone up. If it takes much longer to develop more content now than it did back then, how can you expect to the same quantity without the price being higher.

I do agree though that the mp content is lackluster.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
People keep demanding punishing quitters but they better not implement any kind of punishment system.

I've properly finished and made it to the end screen of only about 5% of my matches purely because I'll get put into a game where a group of 3 or 4 enemies will be camping in one room with bodyguards and brutes etc reviving each other in a circle jerk.

Why would I want to play a game where that's possible lol, of course I'm going to 'Leave Game' and i'll continue to do so!

Get a rocket, blow up said campers, win.... letting down team mates on the regular is very much not cool IMO.

Haven't touched the single player but I played a little bit of the MP and so far I'm pretty disappointed. Unlocks are overwhelming, maps (especially the night ones) are confusing, rope mechanic seems like a distraction and doesn't work well, weight of character seems off and I consistently get stuck against objects or stuck in cover...

I hope I'll change my mind but after the Last of us MP, which was a blast, this is a letdown.

Overwatch beta probably didn't help either.

barit

Its one daily challenge, if you had compeleted all the initial challenges you'd know this .. i think you are inflating the numbers somewhat... and yes its too grindy..

I have. I mean those tryouts that you can do for one time. And yes ofc you get only one daily per day that's why they are called dailys?! You should also take into account that UC4 has way less cosmetic items and mods to unlock than those 200+ items in any CoD game. So it's only logical that you can't grind 20+ chests at one day. Blaming ND for shady F2P tactics is ridiculous when you see how fair and consumer-friendly their new DLC strategy is.

Let's also ignore that this game had a longer development time than the other two :)

It's also a longer game, with more areas, more and much higher quality assets, more gameplay mechanics, both across MP, and SP.

Game development times and expenses escalate in line with the performance expectations of increasingly powerful hardware. Welcome to the video game industry.

xRaizen

It's also a longer game, with more areas, more and much higher quality assets, more gameplay mechanics, both across MP, and SP.

Game development times and expenses escalate in line with the performance expectations of increasingly powerful hardware. Welcome to the video game industry.
Okay, I'll go play Halo 5, BO3, Doom, and BF4.

Those games have a lot of content for the initial $60 so they weren't made recen- oh wait.

Whoops.

Haines

Banned
I put like another 4 hours into the mp trying to find the good.

I built some custom classes. Flexing my creative muscle was sorta fun but the menus are clunky and more annoying than fun.

I tried some other modes. Meh.

Tried messing with all the guns and abilities and perks. Meh.

Went to the store to realize that shits a waste of time as well.

Looked at my unlocks I could chase to realize it's nothing but a slog.

I'm done. I'll jump back in for free updates or if I really like the sp so much o need more UC in my life but this mp is as generic feeling as if gets with a pass of polish.

If you are enjoying it I'm happy for you. To me it feels like a game I could have played 10 years ago.

But is it completely random for some abilities? Or are the mystery chests just cosmetic?

Is it as annoying as Uncharted 2's unlock times where you'd to get to level 40 odds before you could apply the ability to stop high levels seeing low levels through walls?
1) sort of yes.. for instance rank 3 in revives requires 100 reveives.. which seems reasonable except it doesnt count revive where others are helping to revive. By contrast the cash drip booster is easier to unlock. Im just talking about loadout unlocks... the mystery boxes also unloxk boosters for sidekicks which might be worth a punt as i mentioned above being to grindy

2) still there but instead of levels its money earnt in matches overall. There is no wall hack afaik except at spawn time.. but the stealth booster mitigates that and its available at the start

they really need to look into punishing the people that are leaving the ranked games.. either ban them for an hour or take away 100 relic points every time they do it.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Just did the savior trial on crushing. I went with the close range load out and just kept buying condor ammo after deploying my medic while killing as many enemies as I could.

ShutterMunster

There are some strange omissions/decisions in MP. For example, why isn't there a way for me to view all the challenges needed to unlock certain guns and mystic items? Why do I have to go into the load out customization to see that I need X amount of kills to unlock something? This is something Call of Duty has done right since Modern Warfare.

I wish you could select from an assortment of saved/unlocked character skins before a match. It would be cool to make like 2 or 3 Nathan Drake outfits and cycle through them. (Though I think this may already exist in some form.)

I don't know if I love weapon modifiers yet, I think it could very well throw off the balance of things even more. The game doesn't feel unbalanced to me now, but it's teetering. I think the aerial drop down attack needs to have it's hitbox shrunk a bit. I don't know if you should be able to run threw bullets when you have a charged melee.

People would probably riot if you implemented some form of stopping power, a la Gears of War, but right now it definitely feels like the Chainsaw did in Gears of War 1. Although in GoW, if you shot someone while they were revving it the chainsaw lowered and they were temporarily stunned.

I think the cost of points is too high considering they are essential to unlocking skins and customization items. I've been lucky with vanity drops, but I'm sure that will run out. I don't imagine they'll change this because the money they'll make for this is too good to pass up. I wish there were more modes, a moving king of the hill mode could be cool. Command is an interesting mix of Domination and VIP-style game type. I'm digging the maps I've played, they are really fun to navigate, and have decent chokepoints.

I'm still stunned I'm enjoying the multiplayer as much as I am. As big of ND supporter as I am, I've never been big on their past MP offerings.

Okay, I'll go play Halo 5, BO3, Doom, and BF4.

Those games have a lot of content for the initial $60 so they weren't made recen- oh wait.

Whoops.

Battlefield 4's campaign is 5 hours long, Call of Duty's is 8 hours long and rigidly linear, Doom and Halo 5 are around 7 hours in length. Maybe these games do have a lot of multiplayer content (not in Dooms case, so that was an all around terrible example), but they are also shift development focus onto multiplayer, from singleplayer. Don't make out that you have been in some way short changed by Uncharted 4, because that's ridiculous.

Games like Black Ops 3 and Call of Duty games mediate development costs with recycled assets and relatively low quality production values, coupled with high sales figures. If you want to go play Black Ops 3, be my guest. Halo 5 has a far shorter campaign, and also featured 8 maps on launch, while at the same time offering less weapons and unlockables than Uncharted 4. So I'm not sure what the purpose of that comparison is but I begin to wonder if you have played the games you referenced there.

Uncharted 4 matches the number of maps made available at launch within its prequels and contemporaries (Previous Uncharted titles and Gears of War) while vastly exceeding their content in regards to both gameplay and cosmetic unlockables. Indeed, it has less modes, but making out that this game is severely short on content seems pretty ridiculous, especially when we consider that Naughty Dog have promised new maps and modes later in the year.

Meanwhile we have other games launching with far fewer maps and modes (Splatoon with 5 maps and 2 game modes, Battleborn with 6 maps and 3 game modes). Meanwhile Destiny lacks private games and Rainbow Siege Siege, a game focused almost entirely on online multiplayer offers only 9 maps and 1 competitive mode (with 3 variations).

As far as the standards you speak of go, Uncharted 4 definitely sits pretty central to them, meeting but not exceeding industry expectations for multiplayer content. I'm not saying it's especially generous in regards to some areas of its content, but overall I'd say the offering is perfectly acceptable and when considered within the context of a game that also offers a very lengthy and cinematic, single player campaign, it's pretty ridiculous to suggest that we've been short changed by the $60 price tag.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I just finished my warm up matches. If anyone is looking to play just send me an add. My PSN name is the same as my GAF tag. Have a headset as well so I can talk.

TripOpt55

I still haven't been able to play on two of the maps (River and Remnant). I mean I assume all eight are available in Team Deathmatch right? Really want to see what they are like (I did take a peek at them in a solo custom game). Of course, I have gotten to play the original two beta maps like a billion times!

I wish Loadout points were a little more straightforward to unlock. I don't like to really get to far away from my playstyle. Maybe that is to force you to try more stuff I guess. To unlock better stuff it feels like I have to play less ideally and ultimately not help my team as much which I don't like.

xRaizen

Battlefield 4's campaign is 5 hours long, Call of Duty's is 8 hours long and rigidly linear, Doom and Halo 5 are around 7 hours in length. Maybe these games do have a lot of multiplayer content (not in Dooms case, so that was an all around terrible example), but they are also shift development focus onto multiplayer, from singleplayer. Don't make out that you have been in some way short changed by Uncharted 4, because that's ridiculous.

Games like Black Ops 3 and Call of Duty games mediate development costs with recycled assets and relatively low quality production values, coupled with high sales figures. If you want to go play Black Ops 3, be my guest. Halo 5 has a far shorter campaign, and also featured 8 maps on launch, while at the same time offering less weapons and unlockables than Uncharted 4. So I'm not sure what the purpose of that comparison is but I begin to wonder if you have played the games you referenced there.

Uncharted 4 matches the number of maps made available at launch within its prequels and contemporaries (Previous Uncharted titles and Gears of War) while vastly exceeding their content in regards to both gameplay and cosmetic unlockables. Indeed, it has less modes, but making out that this game is severely short on content seems pretty ridiculous, especially when we consider that Naughty Dog have promised new maps and modes later in the year.

Meanwhile we have other games launching with far fewer maps and modes (Splatoon with 5 maps and 2 game modes, Battleborn with 6 maps and 3 game modes). Meanwhile Destiny lacks private games and Rainbow Siege Siege, a game focused almost entirely on online multiplayer offers only 9 maps and 1 competitive mode (with 3 variations).

As far as the standards you speak of go, Uncharted 4 definitely sits pretty central to them, meeting but not exceeding industry expectations for multiplayer content. I'm not saying it's especially generous in regards to some areas of its content, but overall I'd say the offering is perfectly acceptable and when considered within the context of a game that also offers a very lengthy and cinematic, single player campaign, it's pretty ridiculous to suggest that we've been short changed by the $60 price tag.
I'm speaking about the standard set within the series, going in expecting at LEAST the content that U3 or even U2 had for their MP is reasonable. Having to wait at least 6 months for co-op is ridiculous, as is only THREE modes lol

But hey if you have lower standards, different strokes and all :)

Edit: Halo 5 has both Arena and Warzone, with Arena having a bunch of gametypes and Warzone having a couple variations. The unlockables, while they may have had less than U4, gave you enough REQ Points per match that you could buy a gold pack after a couple hours of play. That's already a lot more content that U4 has. Speaking solely about launch for the games. BO3 has Zombies AND MP. Doom (which I'm playing right now by the way, and the MP is decent, thanks!) has 5 modes along with customization, AND a map maker.

I haven't played R6 Siege outside of 20 minutes in the Beta which I did not like so I can't talk about it. Splatoon is on Wii U, I don't have one, and can only speak about what I've watched my favorite streamers/LPers showed, but it looked very barebones at launch. IMO it's success is only because its the only good onlineMP shooter on the console that's starved for games like it.

Edit 2: I also remember U3 having a fairly large amount of cosmetic unlockables at launch, especially for the custom character so ?????

I'm speaking about the standard set within the series, going in expecting at LEAST the content that U3 or even U2 had for their MP is reasonable. Having to wait at least 6 months for co-op is ridiculous, as is only THREE modes lol

But hey if you have lower standards, different strokes and all :)

Right...

So, you brought up the other games, and now were only speaking about the standards set by Uncharted's predecessors? You brought in information to support an argument which backfired, and now you're trying to tell me that information, that you interjected to support your line of argument isn't valid. I'm finding it difficult to take your line of argument seriously when your rationale appears so inconsistent.

Uncharted 2 and 3 both launched with 7 maps, one less than Uncharted 4. They both had more modes, but several folds less unlockable content than Uncharted 4. They have less long guns, less side arms, and less power weapons. Not only that, but Uncharted 4 introduced a number of new mechanics to multiplayer (sliding, rope swing, gear, AI, purchasables, relics) and the maps themselves are a larger than those featuring in Uncharted 2 and 3. At the same time, we have upcoming map packs that will be launching for free. In regards to competitive multiplayer, I think it's very clear that people get at least the same value from Uncharted 4, as they did from 2 and 3.

It's a shame that we don't have co-op at launch, but co-operative content is coming for free, and it simply wouldn't have made sense to push back the release of the game for co-operative content when the majority of players are invested in the series for its campaign.

Edit: That was exactly the problem with U3, it had an acceptable amount of additional customisation items (no where near U4s at launch) but all of those were for the custom character. Who wasn't a customisable character at all - it was a bald guy whose skin colour you could change. U4 has that level of customisation per character. It far exceeds what was possible in U3, and obviously, U2 too.

You are right about Halo 5 having an additional PVE/PVP hybrid mode (with 4 maps) I actually forgot about that when writing, but it still has far less customisation options (both for gameplay and vanity) and U4 will have its own additional co-operative mode later this year too, so I would not say that the amount of content here is at all incomparable with that. Like many games it's fair to say U4 has different strengths and weaknesses, and I think U4s strength is the fact that it has a huge body of unlockable extras, plus 8 very well designed, large scale maps that integrate a vast array of very polished gameplay systems (cover, climbing, ai, gunplay, rope swinging). In either case, the body of content very clearly exceeds that of previous Uncharted games, at least as far as competitive multiplayer and its campaign are concerned, so again, it's hard to believe that the game fails to convey its $60 price tag in value (your assertion, not mine).

xRaizen

Right...

So, you brought up the other games, and now were only speaking about the standards set by Uncharted's predecessors? You brought in information to support an argument which backfired, and now you're trying to tell me that information, that you interjected to support your line of argument isn't valid. I'm finding it difficult to take your line of argument seriously when rationale appears so inconsistent.

Uncharted 2 and 3 both launched with 7 maps, one less than Uncharted 4. They both had more modes, but several folds less unlockable content than Uncharted 4. They have less long guns, less side arms, and less power weapons. Not only that, but Uncharted 4 introduced a number of new mechanics to multiplayer (sliding, rope swing, gear, AI, purchasables, relics) and the maps themselves are a larger than those featuring in Uncharted 2 and 3. At the same time, we have upcoming map packs that will be launching for free. In regards to competitive multiplayer, I think it's very clear that people get at least the same value from Uncharted 4, as they did from 2 and 3.

It's a shame that we don't have co-op at launch, but co-operative content is coming for free, and it simply wouldn't have made sense to push back the release of the game for co-operative content when the majority of players are invested in the series for its campaign.

My original post was pretty bad so I edited :)

The rope doesn't add much to the gameplay, and I tend to avoid it if I can because you only get $50 for a rope kill which is pretty dumb. They should make it higher since it's a special contextual kill, like stealth kills in U3 were. The rope is also a death trap if an enemy or two see you and start shooting you while you're swinging.

Power weapons don't feel like power weapons in this game at all. At least in 2 and 3 they were one hit kills and you only saw them a few times per match. Here they're at most a one hit down, and can get revived pretty quickly with a stone if they're a decent team. I see no reason to add power weapons to any loadouts for that fact, as Mysticals are much more useful (I'm looking at you, El Dorado) for downs/clearing out an area.

Sidekicks are a problem and I see many others not liking them. They're either OP or underpowered and will be hell to balance.

Edit: The custom character in U3 had a lot of options to customize though, not just hats and face options.

U4's isn't much different than what U3's later updates, which added a bunch of hats for every character to wear. I was expecting something close to U3's custom character's customization. As in, choosing the body, pants, shoes, gloves, hat. They are capable of that in this game right now but they've locked it to pre-set outfits (some character's pre-sets have slightly different clothing, like added gloves/removal of gloves, masks, etc.) They've also removed the ability to change the colors of the skins, yet that is another thing that pre-set outfits have so they DO have the ability to do it. But they locked it out for now, and you bet your ass they're going to make it so that we have to pay to change colors. Probably on a per character basis lol.

Uncharted 2 had time for like 7 modes (FFA, Plunder, TDM, Chain Reaction, Turf War, King of the Hill I think, Elimination), and they added in perks. Co-op mode was a nice addition. They had experience with UC1.

Uncharted 3 had the experience of UC2 and UC1, and added kickbacks to MP, alongside booster leveling, new modes like 2v2v2 and Team Objective. They also added a lot of customization. Co-op was a bit beefier I think, I think the co-op levels had more cutscenes

Uncharted 4 is on a new platform. They had LoU Remastered, but it cant possibly be the same thing as making a new game for PS4. They have 3 MP modes and no co-op. They added in, presumably from the ground up, sidekicks, mysticals, rope mechanics, reviving/healing mechanics, a new mode in Command. They expanded the taunts and customization. Co-op is missing, but it's coming. Hopefully it builds off of UC3, and isn't more basic. Team Objective is a sorely missing mode, and admittedly, the modes are lacking...for now.

For all three games, the biggest DLC was the maps, which we know are free for UC4.

I think it's reasonable to see why UC2 and UC3 had more content. But ND is adding a lot of content post-launch. Co-op aside, the MP seems like it will be updated reasonably often.

xRaizen

Uncharted 2 had time for like 7 modes (FFA, Plunder, TDM, Chain Reaction, Turf War, King of the Hill I think, Elimination), and they added in perks. Co-op mode was a nice addition. They had experience with UC1.

Uncharted 3 had the experience of UC2 and UC1, and added kickbacks to MP, alongside booster leveling, new modes like 2v2v2 and Team Objective. They also added a lot of customization. Co-op was a bit beefier I think, I think the co-op levels had more cutscenes

Uncharted 4 is on a new platform. They had LoU Remastered, but it cant possibly be the same thing as making a new game for PS4. They have 3 MP modes and no co-op. They added in, presumably from the ground up, sidekicks, mysticals, rope mechanics, reviving/healing mechanics, a new mode in Command. They expanded the taunts and customization. Co-op is missing, but it's coming. Hopefully it builds off of UC3, and isn't more basic. Team Objective is a sorely missing mode, and admittedly, the modes are lacking...for now.

For all three games, the biggest DLC was the maps, which we know are free for UC4.

I think it's reasonable to see why UC2 and UC3 had more content. But ND is adding a lot of content post-launch. Co-op aside, the MP seems like it will be updated reasonably often.

We only see one "new game mode" listed on the multiplayer road map.

Also the biggest DLC for many was Shade Survival Co-Op which was pretty fun.

My original post was pretty bad so I edited :)

The rope doesn't add much to the gameplay, and I tend to avoid it if I can because you only get $50 for a rope kill which is pretty dumb. They should make it higher since it's a special contextual kill, like stealth kills in U3 were. The rope is also a death trap if an enemy or two see you and start shooting you while you're swinging.

Power weapons don't feel like power weapons in this game at all. At least in 2 and 3 they were one hit kills and you only saw them a few times per match. Here they're at most a one hit down, and can get revived pretty quickly with a stone if they're a decent team. I see no reason to add power weapons to any loadouts for that fact, as Mysticals are much more useful (I'm looking at you, El Dorado) for downs/clearing out an area.

Sidekicks are a problem and I see many others not liking them. They're either OP or underpowered and will be hell to balance.

Yeah I did try and accommodate your edits by editing my own post.

As for your gameplay gripes, they're not really relevent. They do not dispute the fact that there is clearly a lot more content featured in U4s multiplayer, whether you or the rest of the community like that content or not, is an independent issue. I will address it with my thoughts anyway though.

Whether or not rope swinging kills give you $50 is irrelevent (I agree they should give $150) because at the end of the day personal score and $ isn't anywhere near as relevent as securing the kill and the instant-ko is incredibly valuable. Despite this, I personally do not use rope swings in combat, yet I do use them all the time to traverse the map in ways that were not possible in previous Uncharted multiplayer games. It's a fantastic mobility tool that facilitate ample gameplay flexibility through flanking and rapid movement across the map through certain areas and routes.

'Power weapons' was perhaps not the right word as they are purchasable now, which reflects the new context in which they are acquired and in turn, the inherent need for them to be less powerful. In Uncharted 2 and 3 power weapons were earned via map control and therefore the outcome (extreme power) was one that the opposing team had a potential influence in preventing you acquiring. In addition, power weapons were moderated by their spawn rate. In U4, you neither earn power weapons with map control, and they aren't moderated by a singular, timed spawn, so everyone on your team, good or bad, can acquire at least 3 RPGs per game (an example). When that is considered, it's obvious why these weapons were less powerful than they previously were, and most importantly, it's unfair to compare them to their U2/U3 counterparts which exist as an entirely different gameplay mechanic.

As for AI, I guess I'm pretty indifferent to them but sometimes I appreciate the strategic element that they facilitate at times. They have also been toned down since the beta, so that they have vastly less influence on the more PVP aspects of gameplay, the brute deals less damage, and is easier to kill for instance. Personally I think they're really nice in objective modes like command but a little irritating in Plunder, and I'm indifferent to them in TDM.

We only see one "new game mode" listed on the multiplayer road map.

Also the biggest DLC for many was Shade Survival Co-Op which was pretty fun.

If that mode is Team Objective, then that would be enough.

Team Objective wrapped a lot of the weaker modes into one great mode. Uncharted 2 struggled with standalone modes because it was not fun to play individually.

Command sort of fixes that issue by adding the twist with the Commander role.

A Team Objective that added in the many modes of UC3 and UC2 would be fantastic.

I dont care for a FFA or 2v2v2. Those often werent as fun due to the fact that maps werent made around those modes.

We could always see more modes, but Team Objective would be the big one

I'm still playing TLOU Factions. Will I like this MP?
Well it borrows some similar elements, they definitely rely on teamwork, so if you have group then you are golden.
Do people really not think they are getting their $60 worth?

More free stuff on the way too.
I feel like there is a bit of a double edge sword here. If ND went all out with the MP like U2/U3, people who play it will be asking for content 3-6 months later, of course they want it to be free, which might not be the case unless they enforce Micro transactions pretty heavily.

Spreading MP content to maintain MP popularity is the way they chose to do it this time, of course the initial reaction of fans won't be pleasing because people like xRaizen will feel cheated specially after U2/U3. They'll fee like they cut content to spread it out.

I'm somewhere in the middle, disappointed by the lack of content, hyped for new upcoming content. And honestly, I hope all the good players stay because I have been getting some lousy teamplayers lately XD

Struggle to play for more than 30 seconds before getting repulses by revives / downs and their overall cheap nasty feel.

Coupled with these bodyguard people. So op

Top Bottom