• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Multiplayer |OT| Swinging To Victory

I don't want to be that guy cuzz for the most part I like relics as they are, but you should really get some for losing. Many times now I have killed it in my game being the top player but none of that matters as my team didn't win. It should be something like 10 for losing, 20 for winning.

Each category (Long Gun, Pistol, Mystical, Gear, Sidekick, Heavy Weapon, Booster) has criteria that once met grant the LP. You can see it if you go to the bottom of each category. Basically it's like this:

- Long Gun: 300 Downs
- Pistol: 200 Downs
- Mystical: Use 75 times
- Gear: Use 100 times
- Sidekick: Spawn 75 times
- Heavy Weapon: 200 Downs
- Booster; Total lifetime score 110,000

The numbers might be off a little but that's generally what the requirements are.

There is no lock-on aim, just Aim Assist. It doesn't really do anything from what I can tell. Certainly not like Blops 3.
Interesting - If you go into the custom class you can see at the bottom of each that +1LP is locked or unlocked. . .but boosters doesn't appear to have one?

DaciaJC

Gold Member
There is no lock-on aim, just Aim Assist. It doesn't really do anything from what I can tell. Certainly not like Blops 3.

It does make a noticeable difference, in my experience. I prefer playing with it disabled, but there's no doubt that you're putting yourself at a disadvantage doing so.

skelekey

So it's okay to have bad mechanics in a game, and worse if they remove them? There is no place in a game for power plays. Especially the b.s. ones UC3 had. The game isn't smaller for lacking features that were never good to begin with.

And no, I didnt contradict myself. Throwing back grenades doesnt reduce spam. It just adds the same grenade being spammed back lol.

This is in addition to god knows how many grenades you are carrying yourself.

Seriously, the older UC games were ridiculous. You could spawn with as much as 3, maybe 4 grenades. In UC3, you had seriously OP kickbacks that insta-exploded grenades or even threw out cluster grenades. All of this seriously undermined the cover to cover gameplay. If you died, you simply respawned with an insane amount of grenades to throw around again.

The things you describe are only bad in your opinion.

Only the unskilled played aimlessly lobbed grenades around, as at a certain point the community came up up skilled ways to play the game, and any player worth his salt threw the errant grenades away. Whole tutorials where created to demostrate how to effectively throw grenades. And the cluster grenade was a thing of beauty. No more could teams bunch up and control a power spot all game. They were forced to move. I can't say the same for this game as I have seen it happen numerous times. Heck I myself am guilty of it. I'll gladly take the grenade spam with skilled grenade gameplay over this alternative, in which if nobody is running up behind you, you can endlessly be engaged in gun battles where it's the two of you sticking you head out and then back down again. there's fewer options until someone opens their in game store (provided they have enough money) ripped unabashedly from TLOU.

Look, The game is good, But UC3 was better. It was more action and excitement driven. versus this games much slower (no sprint, crawling on the ground) and straight forward approach.

The things you describe are only bad in your opinion.

Only the unskilled played aimlessly lobbed grenades around, as at a certain point the community came up up skilled ways to play the game, and any player worth his salt threw the errant grenades away. Whole tutorials where created to demostrate how to effectively throw grenades. And the cluster grenade was a thing of beauty. No more could teams bunch up and control a power spot all game. They were forced to move. I can't say the same for this game as I have seen it happen numerous times. Heck I myself am guilty of it. I'll gladly take the grenade spam with skilled grenade gameplay over this alternative, in which if nobody is running up behind you, you can endlessly be engaged in gun battles where it's the two of you sticking you head out and then back down again. there's fewer options until someone opens their in game store (provided they have enough money) ripped unabashedly from TLOU.

Look, The game is good, But UC3 was better. It was more action and excitement driven. versus this games much slower (no sprint, crawling on the ground) and straight forward approach.

Punishing winning teams by giving opponents double damage is a bad mechanic. That's not just an opinion. Power Plays existed to keep games close. In UC3, you needed to rely on Power Plays. In UC4, you need to rely on teamwork. One is an artificial means of creating tension, the other requires player input and organization.

It is much more rewarding to make a comeback in UC4, knowing that you did so because your team got together and stayed incredibly focused. I've played many UC4 games already where I was down by as much as 15-20 points, only for our team to come together and mount a comeback. This is incredibly rewarding. In UC3, you rely on power plays that give losing teams advantages for falling behind.

Kickbacks that let you instantly explode grenades for cheap, and boosters like fleet foot that could be upgraded at insanely unbalanced levels are also poor and unbalanced. Loadout points are a superior implementation. Something "ripped" from LoU (which was ripped from COD), but that doesn't make it a bad thing.

Uncharted 3 is vastly inferior as a core game. It doesnt matter if unskilled players spammed grenades. Everybody spammed them. If you were better at spamming than others, then that's great. But if you're going to just respawn with your grenades all back, spamming is always encouraged, and with spam, you get a lot of lucky kills.

There's no thoughtfulness to that, or to rolling right before you die and dropping a grenade like it was COD4 martyrdom. UC4's approach is what I prefer, and I don't see how commenting that it lacks UC3's grenade availability is considered a bad thing. It's different, and in my opinion, better for it.

If you think cluster grenades are a thing of beauty for clearing rooms, try out the El Dorado. It's just as effective, without being as powerful.

UC4 is hardly slower. I dont see how you can say that. There is a ton of chaos and action with managing revives, healing, and finishing off enemies.

Alienous

Based just on the beta I think Sidekicks would have been a good alternative to Power Plays. On a specific player level, implemented as a 'deathstreak' type thing, I think that idea has a place. Maybe at 3-5 deaths without a kill. "You're doing badly, your team is probably also doing badly, how about spending some cash to get some help?".

The idea of an already winning team having the ability to use Sidekicks in addition to Mysticals just seems like it would lend itself to stomping. 'Throw everything at them so they can't recover'. I get Mysticals as these trump card like abilities, but Sidekicks just seem, conceptually, like too much.

skelekey

Punishing winning teams by giving opponents double damage is a bad mechanic. That's not just an opinion. Power Plays existed to keep games close. In UC3, you needed to rely on Power Plays. In UC4, you need to rely on teamwork. One is an artificial means of creating tension, the other requires player input and organization.

It is much more rewarding to make a comeback in UC4, knowing that you did so because your team got together and stayed incredibly focused. I've played many UC4 games already where I was down by as much as 15-20 points, only for our team to come together and mount a comeback. This is incredibly rewarding. In UC3, you rely on power plays that give losing teams advantages for falling behind.

Kickbacks that let you instantly explode grenades for cheap, and boosters like fleet foot that could be upgraded at insanely unbalanced levels are also poor and unbalanced. Loadout points are a superior implementation. Something "ripped" from LoU (which was ripped from COD), but that doesn't make it a bad thing.

Uncharted 3 is vastly inferior as a core game. It doesnt matter if unskilled players spammed grenades. Everybody spammed them. If you were better at spamming than others, then that's great. But if you're going to just respawn with your grenades all back, spamming is always encouraged, and with spam, you get a lot of lucky kills.

There's no thoughtfulness to that, or to rolling right before you die and dropping a grenade like it was COD4 martyrdom. UC4's approach is what I prefer, and I don't see how commenting that it lacks UC3's grenade availability is considered a bad thing. It's different, and in my opinion, better for it.

If you think cluster grenades are a thing of beauty for clearing rooms, try out the El Dorado. It's just as effective, without being as powerful.

UC4 is hardly slower. I dont see how you can say that. There is a ton of chaos and action with managing revives, healing, and finishing off enemies.

No it isn't. I just killed 3 people while being harrassed by the El Dorado. I was eventually downed but not before the opposition was eliminated. I also completley revived a teammate once.

I pointed out a few ways it's slower. It's immediately apparent to anyone transitioning from 3 to 4. Hell, it's one of the reasons I couldn't go back to 2 after playing 3.

Based just on the beta I think Sidekicks would have been a good alternative to Power Plays. On a specific player level, implemented as a 'deathstreak' type thing, I think that idea has a place. Maybe at 3-5 deaths without a kill. "You're doing badly, your team is probably also doing badly, how about spending some cash to get some help?".

The idea of an already winning team having the ability to use Sidekicks in addition to Mysticals just seems like it would lend itself to stomping. 'Throw everything at them so they can't recover'. I get Mysticals as these trump card like abilities, but Sidekicks just seem, conceptually, like too much.

It's possible I'm not sure I just don't like sidekicks at all personally. I don't even waste bullets on downing them.

+headshots aren't insta KOs for some inane reason so you're left with downing enemies from far away and having to close the gap to finish them off. There's no reason to snipe.

I wish they had the Military Rifle from LoU. I am sure they will add a sniper power weapon down the line.

That thing would pop off heads and instantly kill you. I always found it hilarious to use, because it was so rarely used, and it was just so funny to see a guy turn a corner and get his head popped clean off, knowing he never expected it.

No it isn't. I just killed 3 people while being harrassed by the El Dorado. I was eventually downed but not before the opposition was eliminated. I also completley revived a teammate once.

I pointed out a few ways it's slower. It's immediately apparent to anyone transitioning from 3 to 4. Hell, it's one of the reasons I couldn't go back to 2 after playing 3.

You're right, El Dorado is less effective than it used to be. Maybe it will get buffed.

And I already pointed out why it's not slower. The down system doesnt make the game slower, and neither does a lack of grenade spam.

Some of the trials on Crushing are so fucking bad. Team AI does nothing but get downed and the only kills they do get are taking your own bonus kills. Also heavy weapon bonuses don't work half the time. So dumb. Trials should at leave be able to be played with a party.

Varth

So, after being burned badly by MGS5 MP I'm almost exitant to jump in. Is this closer to U2 MP or 3? How's time to kill, headshot and mystical/sidekick balance as of now?

I don't want to be that guy cuzz for the most part I like relics as they are, but you should really get some for losing. Many times now I have killed it in my game being the top player but none of that matters as my team didn't win. It should be something like 10 for losing, 20 for winning.
No, you're right; you really should.

15 wins to unlock one chest? Come on.

LOLOMGWTFBBQ

Neo Member
Well, the pistol is just about as good as it was in UC2. Blindfire is also crazy accurate now for some reason, when it most definitely wasn't in the betas.
Hmm that explains why I've been seeing so many people blindfiring. Almost reminds me of U3. Almost.

Alienous

Well, the pistol is just about as good as it was in UC2. Blindfire is also crazy accurate now for some reason, when it most definitely wasn't in the betas.

Here's a match that my team lost in, but I did really well in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzB80uPHMqI

5:13

IEFkbzD.gif

Kyrios

One match last night, myself and a player on the other team went down and we started chasing each other around in circles while crawling lol I'm glad other people still have a sense of humor.

So, after being burned badly by MGS5 MP I'm almost exitant to jump in. Is this closer to U2 MP or 3? How's time to kill, headshot and mystical/sidekick balance as of now?

exitant? You mean hesitant?

MGO3 still hurts. It was my most anticipated game/mode since they took down 2.

I will say this, the MP in this game will not let you down. It might take a bit getting used to but it really is great, similar enough to the older games, yet different enough.

kingwingin

For the mobile app i think the best way to go about it is play the first 30 maps. Get 30 keys and also trade in your red orbs for coins. After you are out of keys just delete the app and start over.

skelekey

You're right, El Dorado is less effective than it used to be. Maybe it will get buffed.

And I already pointed out why it's not slower. The down system doesnt make the game slower, and neither does a lack of grenade spam.

If you don't think crawling on the ground or being literally stopped to revive a fallen teammate are slower then I don't know what to tell you. That's only the half of it anyways. There are many more ways it's slower. Buying things in a menu is slower. Loading a bought weapon as opposed to it being ready to fire is slower. Blind fire ineffectiveness which leads to everyone literally slowing down to ads is slower. In UC3 I could jump from a high vantage point, activate my rocket kickback in mid flight, a effectively blind fire that bad boy into the doomed crowd below. Can I perform anything even remotely close here? Hell no.

Top Bottom