• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Multiplayer |OT| Swinging To Victory

I'm not even convinced this game will be as fun as UC2 with a Classic mode tbh. The maps are just not interesting enough.

Getting Team Objective back in the mix is much, much more important IMO.

Yup, maps are shit.

These feel like just about any other shooter's worst maps. Don't even feel like they belong to Uncharted.

WinFonda

I'm not even convinced this game will be as fun as UC2 with a Classic mode tbh. The maps are just not interesting enough.

Yep, Team Objective is a must for me if I'm gonna be playing this a year from now.

I feel like the maps in U4 are basically TLOU maps sans the interesting/intricate interiors. Basically, they're all way flat with a few lanes and choke points.

I was pretty stoked when I saw U4 would have all brand new maps, but after playing them... I'd rather have had 8 remakes tbh.

River and Pirate Colony are the closest they got to getting it right (they also have swimming!), they're the only ones I'd consider keeping.

I'm convinced it's better than UC2 even without a classic mode. The maps are designed to accomodate constant traversal at a good pace. Whether it's swinging, sliding, climbing or swimming; the momentum is almost always on point.

What about remastering some iconic UC2/UC3 maps?

I'd need like every UC2 map remastered, honestly. Having only a handful of them would just make me hungry for more. Some of those maps were so damn good, and so much more interesting than the UC4 maps.

I find the maps amazing, the 3 lane philosophy works really well.

I mean...yeah, I guess they do what they're supposed to. Map flow and angles are super predictable though, and there isn't enough crazy vertical shenanigans and more intricate routes. UC2 + the DLC was Naughty Dog's peak map design.

I'm convinced it's better than UC2 even without a classic mode. The maps are designed to accomodate constant traversal at a good pace. Whether it's swinging, sliding, climbing or swimming; the momentum is almost always on point.

They're great for doing laps as you track spawns, sure, but they don't facilitate strange "unique to Uncharted MP" moments as much, at least not without the rope coming into play. One of the reasons I loved UC2 multi so much, even in basic TDM, is that you'd constantly find yourself navigating maps where you'd stumble onto people at strange angles. There's much less of that here with all the funneling, and straightforward sightlines, and lane based design, and less layering.

Also, where are my dragons propane tanks?!?!

I dont notice any difference with the blindfire but then again i'm using Nadine's fossa and Rafe's para and they both have blindfire accuracy and clip capacity so... Feels the same.

Sure, but you're already running into the issue where people have different ideas of what classic is and what rules to have. I think removing downs is a huge mistake because so much of the design and weapon balance wraps around that mechanic but some people would still ask to exclude it because hurr durr U2 didn't have it.

Nade on spawn (and as pick ups?) would mean more nades being thrown in general, and nades are pretty powerful in U4. They're easier to throw accurately and have a generous kill radius. Nade on spawn would empower death a lot and cause fewer gunfights to happen. So I'd still prefer the timer... it's not classic, but honestly... it's better.

At the end of the day whatever ruleset they came up with would only apply to a singular mode (TDM; and there's already two TDM playlists) so unless it's absolutely perfect with a ton of specific fine tuning; I don't think it'd be a worthy mode addition or have longevity. They tried classic in U3 also and ran into the same issues; it's just a huge can of worms.

And hell, if they put that much tuning into it... at that point why even have it be mode specific, it could just be the new ruleset for all modes. I'd love to play Team Objective/Plunder with weapon pickups. I mean, back when I played U2 it was more than just TDM at any rate, so classic would never be truly classic for me.

Since it seems like this thing that's destined to not work out and too hard to add after the fact (lets face it, if they wanted the game to play like U2 or U3 it would), I'd just prefer enhancements that could apply to the game generally.

I really dont care about the downs I just included it because im sure some people would consider classic mode not having them.

Grenades IMO is a non issue. I would have 0 problem with people throwing more grenades... especially if the sidekicks and mysticals are removed.

IF they decided to add a classic mode, my preference would be random and unique game mode rotation that changes every match like they had in UC2 (and maybe UC3?) TDM, Plunder, command or whatever, pistols and grenades, snipers and pistoles, hardcore TDM.... Just rotate everything so every match is fresh.

stryke

Sometimes the spawns in Command are messed up. One time in the scotland map the teams spawned like 10 metres away from each other but most people don't notice since they instinctively go for the closest capture point.

kriskrosbbk

I have unlocked a sidekick modifier but dont see a way to enable it ,please help.On the loadout screen "None" is selected and cant change it .

FiggyCal

Banned
I'm not a huge fan of how people play command in this game. Both teams are just running in a circle and not really confronting each other, unless by accident. It's like chasing someone around a tree when you can obviously just cut them off by going the other way.

I was pretty stoked when I saw U4 would have all brand new maps, but after playing them... I'd rather have had 8 remakes tbh.

River and Pirate Colony are the closest they got to getting it right (they also have swimming!), they're the only ones I'd consider keeping.

Honestly, I think Rooftops may be the most Uncharted map out of all the new ones. It still suffers from the 3-lane design like the rest, but there is a lot more vertical variety overall.

Alienous

I actually like the maps. Verticality is traded for keeping the fights moving. You always have somewhere to run away from a fight. You tend to have multiple valid routes to get to a point. They're pretty good.

Multiple times now a game has started and a teammate has gone and hidden in a corner of the map and has spent the entire game not playing at all. I can only assume they're friends with people on the other team and they are trying to hurt ours by making it 5 vs 4. It's pathetic and these people need to get banned.
People need to get banned because ND still cannot fix party splits after 7 years (June 2009 - 1st UC2 MP beta)? Nice one.
Um, yes. If they actively hurt the team they're on? Fuck yes. Who gives a shit if their party got split? Play the fucking game or drop out of it. I've played tons of other games (Rocket League being a recent one) where I got split from my party, and guess what? I just played the game normally. It was fine. It can be done!

The maps aren't amazing but they're all good IMO. Tons of flanks and paths to escape. Too much verticality would make the mystics and sidekicks extremely unbalanced. The maps work for what the game offers.

Dave_6

Just joined a game of Command that was already in progress (yay) where AKyemeni and maybe other GAFers were on the other team. Needless to say that was an ass stomping on their behalf. Getting sick of joining games already in progress and being on the losing side.

My PSN is DaveS78 if you saw me, lol.

TP-DK

Sigh, Im so sick of being teamed up with, what seems like, players that got no clue about how this game works. Seriously, why go into a ranked playlist if you dont even know how to revive people.

Um, is anyone's PS4 louder than usual after the patch? My was loud in MP but not jet engine loud like in the campaign.
Playing right now
PSN: same as user.

Um, yes. If they actively hurt the team they're on? Fuck yes. Who gives a shit if their party got split? Play the fucking game or drop out of it. I've played tons of other games (Rocket League being a recent one) where I got split from my party, and guess what? I just played the game normally. It was fine. It can be done!
It's not like anyone asked to be split from his team... why don't you pester ND to fix party splits? Staying in a corner and not playing is not a bannable offense.

You cannot tell anyone to quit the match... you can quit the match if you don't like it.

Um, is anyone's PS4 louder than usual after the patch? My was loud in MP but not jet engine loud like in the campaign.
Playing right now
PSN: same as user.
Check this out:

http://feedback.naughtydog.com/foru...ps4-fan-goes-crazy-in-the-menus-uncapped-fram

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Sigh, Im so sick of being teamed up with, what seems like, players that got no clue about how this game works. Seriously, why go into a ranked playlist if you dont even know how to revive people.
The ranking system pairs you with people far below your rank but doesn't allow you to party up with people who're "three ranks below you." Really flawed matchmaking imho.

Horohoro

I got 35 long guns left
And 16 pistols...
I feel like I've wasted 50k relics on this... but I want them alol anybody finished unlocking them yet?
I got 8000 from the app invested in themy and all my game relics I haven't bought a vanity chest yet...
Getting 21,400 more relics for this feels nuts...

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I got 35 long guns left
And 16 pistols...
I feel like I've wasted 50k relics on this... but I want them alol anybody finished unlocking them yet?
I got 8000 from the app invested in themy and all my game relics I haven't bought a vanity chest yet...

You got a long journey ahead.

I finished the vanity chests and now I'm just saving up for more vanity chests when they come. Got 3,500 relics stockpiled right now. I can grind for hero weapons.

TP-DK

The ranking system pairs you with people far below your rank but doesn't allow you to party up with people who're "three ranks below you." Really flawed matchmaking imho.

Yeah its really stupid and I have a bad feeling that it'll never get any better. Tlou's matchmaking never seemed to get better.

Btw, first match with a gaffer on my team and we won 700-245 in command.

Forget about adding some pointless number next to names and focus on a mode sans all the annoying garbage please ND. No revives. No sidekicks.

Horohoro

I finished the vanity chests and now I'm just saving up for more vanity chests when they come. Got 3,500 relics stockpiled right now. I can grind for hero weapons.

Yeah I want everything :p so I started with what seemed to be the longest one first.
I'm over halfway done with the hero weapons but still got that much to go :p

I'm in the exact same place.
I've actually lost my drive to keep going now that I have all the vanity stuff. Hope more gets released soon.
I hate that I'm a sucker for something so trivial.

The Lamp

They didn't buff the sniper rifle at all? It is so useless in a fire fight.

Also, will I ever leave bronze ranking purgatory? I got stuck here when I was new and now I can't play with any friends or ever move up because people at the bronze level don't cooperate at all and I can't win every match.

Creaking

I've actually lost my drive to keep going now that I have all the vanity stuff. Hope more gets released soon.

I just play for a bit every three days, do my challenges, and then quit. I figure I'd get too sick of the maps otherwise.

The Lamp

I got 35 long guns left
And 16 pistols...

How are you guys getting so many relics?

Don't tell me that app. That app is so boring. I'd rather grind playing fun games than waste a weekend with that app.

Horohoro

I am too once I finish hero weapons next up is vanity... long road to go cause by the time I start vanity there will be more items D:

Horohoro

How are you guys getting so many relics?

Don't tell me that app. That app is so boring. I'd rather grind playing fun games than waste a weekend with that app.

App it didn't take long... lol you can't get more than 5000 relics out of it now and 15 of each 1 time booster. I got more than 5k before they added the later maps now it's impossible... UT yep that's part of the answer other is trials. I comolested them all.
I'm debating downloading it to my friends iPhone to see if I can get the rewards twice.... I also now that I'm at 100% was debating deleting the data to see if I can go through it again....

The app does have other nice things though.
I don't even think you can get the tophat outside of the app. [It was updated last night for those unaware :) it looks awesome] I got it this morning pics shortly...

Horohoro

Got it this morning

l7fCAr5.jpg

Horohoro

Did they update the app with the last puzzle set?
Yup
Got it early this morning went at it till I got me hat.
App auto updated for me on android last night...
Just a sec I'll post a pic.
I'm a completionist :p

BGRBogP.jpg

UG0b4Ee.jpg

So yeah it should be available I guess? Did I just get lucky?

EZe5wfR.jpg

cormack12

Gold Member
Any tips? I switched this on today and holy shit, haven't enjoyed a multiplayer shooter so much in so long. Everything just seems so...balanced and nice. Really surprised how much I like it.

Any advice on unlocks and stuff. I'm really low level. I've bought Elena's winter outfit and some vanity packs but unsure if I can unlock weapons etc. or what hero weapons are......

Creaking

Yup
Got it early this morning went at it till I got me hat.
App auto updated for me on android last night...
Just a sec I'll post a pic.
I'm a completionist :p

BGRBogP.jpg

UG0b4Ee.jpg

So yeah it should be available I guess? Did I just get lucky?

Weird, mine hasn't updated.

SDR-UK

I just noticed that they removed Deep Cover* from the final game... why ND?

* http://uncharted.wikia.com/wiki/Boosters_(Uncharted_4:_A_Thief's_End))

Deep Cover
U4-deepcover1 Increase your ability to fight while in cover.
Rank 1:
• Damage wobble is decreased by 20% when you're in cover. 1 1
Rank 2:
• Damage wobble is decreased by 40% when you're in cover.
• Weapons reload are 25% faster when you're in cover.

What do you think is coming in the triple pack?

/s

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Anyone else hate these two things:

1) you're trying to get into cover, but your character absolutely refuses to get into it and just stands there like an idiot.

2) you can't climb up something because your camera angle isn't focused straight to where you're trying to climb up. I move my camera a lot to see if there's any enemies and it's so stupid that I can't climb up because I don't focus the camera straight in the center of my character....

Never had any of these problems in past UC MP games. Oh yeah, I just remembered this. In UC3 MP, holding circle while you jump somewhere will always cancel your character grabbing on to something, but it doesn't seem to work here sometimes because even if I hold circle, my character will still grab a ledge even though I don't want to grab it.

Creaking

1) you're trying to get into cover, but your character absolutely refuses to get into it and just stands there like an idiot.

2) you can't climb up something because your camera angle isn't focused straight to where you're trying to climb up. I move my camera a lot to see if there's any enemies and it's so stupid that I can't climb up because I don't focus the camera straight in the center of my character....

Never had any of these problems in past UC MP games. Oh yeah, I just remembered this. In UC3 MP, holding circle while you jump somewhere will always cancel your character grabbing on to something, but it doesn't seem to work here sometimes because even if I hold circle, my character will still grab a ledge even though I don't want to grab it.

I wish there was some kind of controlled decent thing like in the recent Assassin's Creed games. There are many times when I'm trying to get down somewhere quickly, but rolling off a ledge usually causes the character to grab onto the edge, and jumping straight off usually results in the character jumping too far and falling to their death. You have to go at it really stilted-like.

It's nuts how often it happens. I get that finding and fixing stuff like this must be hard, but damn

And the times when someone's taking cover and there's more than enough space for you to take cover next to them, but it just won't work

You can take cover over a buddy in singleplayer, so what's the deal

I got 35 long guns left
And 16 pistols...

You should unlock vanity items with the relics first and then unlock the Hero weapons by trying new loadouts and using leftover relics. It's a much better use of your relics since you can unlock Hero weapons by just playing the game, and it'll also extend your interest in playing because you'll be trying new playstyles every week or so. That's what I did and I have everything unlocked now.

App it didn't take long... lol you can't get more than 5000 relics out of it now and 15 of each 1 time booster. I got more than 5k before they added the later maps now it's impossible... UT yep that's part of the answer other is trials. I comolested them all.
I'm debating downloading it to my friends iPhone to see if I can get the rewards twice.... I also now that I'm at 100% was debating deleting the data to see if I can go through it again....

The app does have other nice things though.
I don't even think you can get the tophat outside of the app. [It was updated last night for those unaware :) it looks awesome] I got it this morning pics shortly...

Got it this morning

l7fCAr5.jpg

You can get more than 5,000 relics. Even though there is a limit, they still transfer, although this is happening on my account that already had over 5,000 before I updated the app. Maybe if you start completely from scratch you are truly limited, but it's not even possible to get 5,000 relics with the new payouts now. I downloaded the app on a second iPhone and I have 2,000 versus 7,375 on the non-updated app.

Also, I saw a few people using the top hat a few weeks ago. Either they were the developers of the app, work for ND/Sony, or the hat was a preorder bonus in some region.

Any tips? I switched this on today and holy shit, haven't enjoyed a multiplayer shooter so much in so long. Everything just seems so...balanced and nice. Really surprised how much I like it.

Any advice on unlocks and stuff. I'm really low level. I've bought Elena's winter outfit and some vanity packs but unsure if I can unlock weapons etc. or what hero weapons are......

When you go into custom loadouts it tells you what's required to unlock weapons, Mysticala, Sidekicks, Gear, Heavy Weapons, Boosters, and Loadout points. Without knowing your play style my advice would be to stick with a weapon you're comfortable with and always have either the Para .45 or the Pistole equipped. Since you're new and don't know the maps as well, I'd equip the Savior sidekick to help you out in case you get downed away from teammates. I'd also urgently advise you to equip Explosive Awareness 3 as soon as you can. It allows you to disable Mines and C4. I'd also have at least two loadouts that have Mines and Grenades in them--in case the other team has Explosive Awareness 3, you can quickly switch loadouts to use a Grenade instead. Lastly, stick to your teammates until you get comfortable with the maps and your shooting abilities.

Hero weapons are special versions that have two mods on them (you're normally allowed one). They're unlocked by getting a certain number of kills with each weapon.

#2 is sort of funny when it happens, especially when you're next to a teammate who's doing the same thing. You look like a pair of clowns. #1 has killed me at least once every other match and is infuriating lol.

Top Bottom