• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Multiplayer |OT| Swinging To Victory

One of the devs in the ND forums pointed out that Uncharted TV downloads the video once and plays them off the disc so it isn't constantly streaming and taking away your Internet data.

Bullshit. Absolute Bullshit. During normal use they would never completely download.

So what they are saying is I should just leave the videos playing whilst I go do something else just so that the movies have a chance to finish downloading?

Just let me turn it off.

Regarding lag complaints, I wonder if ND is going to tell us about the tickrate values...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...d-a-wall-why-isnt-overwatchs-tick-rate-higher

"The tick rate is how often a server updates every second. Generally the higher it is, the more responsive the game. In Overwatch it is the tick rate that's responsible for you sometimes taking damage even though you've run behind a wall"

IMHO, the community should be more vocal about it. But yeah, levels are more important...

"The beef the community has is that Overwatch's tick rate is 20.8hz, which is comparatively low when compared with online games of a similar ilk, such as Counter-Strike: Go and Battlefield 4, which have tick rates of around 60hz. And it's not that Overwatch isn't capable: you can raise the game's tick rate to 62.5hz - but you can only do it in Custom games via a High Bandwidth option in the settings."

Honestly, I'm shocked that the "Competitive" (FN et al) community hasn't asked for this feature... stripping down the game mechanics is obviously more important. What a joke. Then again, most of them are obsessed with TDM, while in other games objective modes are the go to place for competition (i.e. Domination in Battlefield).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-07-overwatch-blizzard-answers-the-big-questions

"We put out a 17-minute video with our lead gameplay engineer and our network engineer, who wrote the netcode for the game, explaining exactly how the game works, to try to educate people on which parts of gameplay issues were latency-related vs. netcode-related. Trying to give everybody more transparency and understanding of how the game works so they can help comment intelligently on what is and isn't a problem. That video is widely available and I would encourage people to watch it."

More transparency and less secrecy, ND... take a note from Blizzard.

ps: Previous ND games (including TLOU Remastered) have 15 Hz tickrate. It's probably the same here.

this was fun

YfnY3P1.gif

Damn, congrats that was beautiful.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Playing against laggy players who skip frames, bullets are delayed, their deaths are delayed is the fucking worst. Wtf.

Burning4

Neo Member
Multiplayer has become wholly unenjoyable for me. I'm not sure if the new stuff on Uncharted TV is to blame, but all of my issues started as soon as that thing added videos. Now it takes me about five to ten minutes to find a game, and the search constantly restarts over and over. When I do get a game I'm matched with people who all have only a bar or two on their connection quality. Constant stream of white plugs during matches, too. My connection is fine, I've checked and tested other things to make sure. Unread or delayed inputs, getting shot through walls, and getting meleed by people ten feet away from me are just some of my other problems.

Liamario

Banned
Multiplayer has become wholly unenjoyable for me. I'm not sure if the new stuff on Uncharted TV is to blame, but all of my issues started as soon as that thing added videos. Now it takes me about five to ten minutes to find a game, and the search constantly restarts over and over. When I do get a game I'm matched with people who all have only a bar or two on their connection quality. Constant stream of white plugs during matches, too. My connection is fine, I've checked and tested other things to make sure. Unread or delayed inputs, getting shot through walls, and getting meleed by people ten feet away from me are just some of my other problems.

Sounds like you're having massive network issues. I'm not having any of those issues myself. Game is very smooth for me. Occasional bit of lag, and that's rare. That certainly doesn't describe my experience with the game.

Man I need to stop playing Overwatch and come back to this game.

Have they fixed ranked yet so that you can play with people outside of your bracket? That was my biggest gripe.

Well, I'm monitoring my router bandwidth usage and the video caching seems to be temporary.

Every time you log into the MP, it downloads videos from the beginning. I have a fast (50Mb), uncapped connection, but I can totally understand why Uncharted TV can be annoying for some people with lower-end connections. It wastes precious bandwidth (limited for some people in Canada or Australia, for example) for no good reason
(maybe Robin likes it because it boosts his YT views? I remember Rockshow2oo8 getting banned by YT in the UC3 Summer beta because he had gotten an insane amount of views, even though it wasn't his intention).

Does anyone know where videos are saved exactly? The UC4 install size is unchanged (~55GB).

Source:
5iI0cnL.png

Christos

They seem to have pushed some very good fixes:

Live Update.021
Fixed Idol duplication & respawn issues

Patch 1.06
Workaround to prevent heavy graphical corruption which affected some players
Fixed loss of profile data and added safeguards*
Fixed booster unlocks resetting
Fixed some players not being able to download live updates due to ISP caching

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Looks like we are getting a toggle to turn off UCTV woot woot:

Just want to let you all know that we hear you, and we'll be including a switch to turn off UTV in a patch in a few weeks. We appreciate your patience until then!

For those debating the technical issues, it's true that UTV only plays videos from HDD. Everybody starts with one video on the HDD (the trailer) and there are currently 4 others that download. However, the game *also* only downloads to the HDD when UTV is onscreen. So you're not crazy -- it looks for all the world like it's streaming, but really it's just grabbing one of the other videos that it doesn't have cached yet while it plays something else. Once it gets all videos, it'll stop downloading. The time it takes to fully cache all the videos will obviously vary based on your internet speeds, but it can seem like a long time because it only gets a chance to download for a minute or two in between matches.

Obviously for some players, we're hearing that even this is too much, so we'll be adding a way to turn it off for players who would prefer to do so, as well as looking at improving the default behaviors for players with lower bandwidth. MyAfricaGaming's suggestion of switching to the customization screen is a totally valid way to prevent UTV from downloading til the patch drops. Thanks!

I didn't give the Mazur enough credit, thing is pretty decent especially with a second player to mop up the remaining 30% before the bolt action kicks in. People saying to give it a 1 shot down are ridiculous, that would be insanely OP

Well, I'm monitoring my router bandwidth usage and the video caching seems to be temporary.

Every time you log into the MP, it downloads videos from the beginning. I have a fast (50Mb), uncapped connection, but I can totally understand why Uncharted TV can be annoying for some people with lower-end connections. It wastes precious bandwidth (limited for some people in Canada or Australia, for example) for no good reason
(maybe Robin likes it because it boosts his YT views? I remember Rockshow2oo8 getting banned by YT in the UC3 Summer beta because he had gotten an insane amount of views, even though it wasn't his intention).

Does anyone know where videos are saved exactly? The UC4 install size is unchanged (~55GB).

Source:
5iI0cnL.png

As I said before that reasoning was bullshit. I let my system sit on the multiplayer menu for over an hour yesterday in order to download the videos, and lo and behold they still stutter like they're being downloaded as I watch them. Plus as soon as I get past matchmaking all of the connection bars from my opponents suddenly goes up a bar.

Glad they're including a toggle soon though. Thanks for that Naughty Dog. :)

SDR-UK

I got some "DBG" glitch happen to me earlier. I had never heard of it until a couple guys messaged me during the game. Basically it let me run around and kill enemies that couldn't see me.

The Part 1 link shows where it starts. After I down the first guy, you see another enemy run over to me and it's really laggy. After I down that person, I was invisible for the whole match:

Part 1 - Showing when it started
Part 2 - Most of the rest of the match

Yeah, you played against WarWolf and I. It was infuriating seeing your body at different parts of the map but not being able to actually kill you. The part where I warped on your screen (35 seconds), I was getting killed by someone invisible. Had no idea you were there.

WarWolf

I got some "DBG" glitch happen to me earlier. I had never heard of it until a couple guys messaged me during the game. Basically it let me run around and kill enemies that couldn't see me.

The Part 1 link shows where it starts. After I down the first guy, you see another enemy run over to me and it's really laggy. After I down that person, I was invisible for the whole match:

Part 1 - Showing when it started
Part 2 - Most of the rest of the match

You must have been thinking damn these guys are clueless.

Here's what we saw early in the match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHX-3iA8vQw

Edit: I noticed you got marked around 2:00 in your second video. It was letting me mark your corpse.

Yeah, you played against WarWolf and I. It was infuriating seeing your body at different parts of the map but not being able to actually kill you. The part where I warped on your screen (35 seconds), I was getting killed by someone invisible. Had no idea you were there.

Isn't it odd that you got matched up against one another?

I keep seeing people I know in UC4 MP, do you think the player base is really rather small? There was that one time where it even put a random gaffer in as our 5th teammate...

I booted up UC2 MP today in PS Now.

YIKES!!
UC2 MP hasn't existed in about 6 years.

So, was there ever a reason given for the severe lack of medals? There were like 45-50 for competitive UC2 and they were a ton of fun seeing at the end of the match compared to all of the medals for incredibly basic shit you get in UC4/

AKyemeni

I keep seeing people I know in UC4 MP, do you think the player base is really rather small? There was that one time where it even put a random gaffer in as our 5th teammate...
I'm the opposite. I haven't seen people I recognize in matchmaking.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks

The same happens to me. Keep running into familiar faces...

Grinchy

Banned

You must have been thinking damn these guys are clueless.

Here's what we saw early in the match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHX-3iA8vQw

Edit: I noticed you got marked around 2:00 in your second video. It was letting me mark your corpse.

haha yeah that was so crazy. I had no idea what was going on at first. After a few encounters I realized no one could see me. I was also playing online with my brother and he started telling me about how he could see my body on the ground the whole time.

We were getting really weird laggy moments all night tonight while we were playing, but nothing like this.

The same happens to me. Keep running into familiar faces...

There was an instance where I messaged a guy asking if he wanted to join me and a friend. He said he couldn't as he was in a party so my friend and I went to find a game.

It found 5 opponents, they the party of the friend I just messaged. We beat him good for not joining our party. :p

It's crazy. It's like it has some sort of friend preference in MM. Could be wrong though, but I've not seen that kind of thing in other games. Might make a difference that I have 400 ish friends on PSN though.

Fantastic. We really need more U4 music videos, they're beautiful
Agreed. Those short character customization dance ones were cool and all, but doing so in-game allows for much more.

However, as much as I enjoy the online I must echo some of he same issues others are experiencing and it gets very frustrating. Trying to determine how to showcase everything many of us have problems with but not seemingly trash the mp.

Top Bottom