• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Multiplayer |OT| Swinging To Victory

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Okay I love being a medic in MP Games but RevivePaks SUCK. I've been trying to make them work but they don't click with me. Helping Hand Level 3 anyday over it.
I run helping hand 3 and revive packs. Helping hand for when a team mate is close to me and I get to revive them ASAP. Revive packs for when I'm far away or when more than one of my team mates get downed. They work so well. I love them.

Cerberus

If explosive awareness was slightly better I'd run it on nearly all my builds. I don't know why it doesn't have a gear reduction timer on the max level.

Hell, it'd encourage people to use the far superior grenades more.

Or getting $50 for every mine/C4 picked up with Explosive Awareness 3.

Just give us a mode with:

- No downs.
- No bots.
- No magic.
- No Mines/Smoke
- No spawn waves.
- Heavy Weapons cost their max amount at all times.

I don't think that's too difficult, considering you can do some of that stuff already in custom games.

This should have been in the original game.

Because it wasn't it should have been added a week after launch.

By now everyone who gave multiplayer a go (on the off chance they'd enjoy it) will have jumped into a game and been chased by 2 hunters. . . .then shot by 3 brutes. . .and then occasionally run into an actual real player and on this experience decided never to ever play again.

On top of that you'll have the five enemy players running around hanging out of each others bums using the down system as a way to cheat death, and then the ridiculous jesus stone also allowing good parties to cheat death.

Finally flank that enemy that has a large streak due to camping and spamming brutes?. . . .you get to them. . .they get downed - and then you get shot by 3 AI bots. . .or shot by 4 of his party who happen to be close by - then they all revive him.

Cheap. Nasty. Gunk. All sorted with the mode in bold above.

Grinchy

Banned
I like downs and magic, but I suppose I could do without the bots. A good team using multiple hunters and brutes is quite tedious.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Mettler IMO needs clip size to make it viable. It has such a short clip size that without that mod, you'll constantly be reloading.

WinFonda

And after reading that thread, glad to see he actually explained why the Classic Mode would be too difficult, but I don't think anybody (not even me) was expecting everything exactly like U2.

Just give us a mode with:

- No downs.
- No bots.
- No magic.
- No Mines/Smoke
- No spawn waves.
- Heavy Weapons cost their max amount at all times.

I don't think that's too difficult, considering you can do some of that stuff already in custom games.
A small clique of people who've ordained themselves curators of the Uncharted competitive scene already play some version of this proposed mode (in a perpetual state of banning the next best thing) and it's frankly dogshit. I'd rather have all the egregious bullshit than a stripped down version of a game to the point where you're left with nothing but a poorly balanced, bareboned mode.

Most of the weapons/gear/boosters/loadout points are balanced around the game as is, which includes the downed system, so creating an actual GOOD and balanced classic mode requires an extensive amount of tuning. for example, most of the guns we are using are better in many various ways than U2 and U3 counterparts; especially once you add hero weapons into the mix and if you're disabling everything why wouldn't you always use your LPs on hero weapons?

If weapon pickups aren't going to be added into code, then classic mode has no reason to exist. And why keep heavy weapon purchasing, then? Don't want it to be too bland? It's definitely antithetical to the classic Uncharted experience, and I don't think it's inherently more balanced than doing the same to the other purchaseables (placing their buy values at maximum always.)

So yes, creating an actual good and balanced classic mode requires an extensive amount of tuning and rewriting. Just toggling everything off makes for a boring shitshow. It really isn't that simple.

Peeps just need to admit that asking for a classic mode is just another way to ask for the removal of everything about the game they don't like, which varies from person to person and isn't necessarily 'classic'. I mean I think the game would be a lot better without sidekicks and mines, but asking for a mode that disables just those things is pointless. The game just needs further general balancing so that all the extraneous things become marginalized and the core game shines thru more prominently.

I wouldn't even have heavy's.

I'd have guns, and boosters (except the reviving booster etc) but then drop Max LP to 15 for that mode or something. If that's difficult to balance then remove boosters too.

What remains is a balanced game where everyone has a gun, a hookshot, and a grenade or mine. Great movement and maps.

No Love

Banned
Best gun in the game is MP34a with reload and clip mod. I can easily down 2-3 people at a time, even when it's 3v1. Gun is just too accurate and powerful. Even when people get the first shots on me I can down them. Highly recommend it. Even works at medium-long range.

Grinchy

Banned
Best gun in the game is MP34a with reload and clip mod. I can easily down 2-3 people at a time, even when it's 3v1. Gun is just too accurate and powerful. Even when people get the first shots on me I can down them. Highly recommend it. Even works at medium-long range.

I am embarrased to admit this, but at one point, I thought the MP34a was a rifle. I used it as a rifle, too. I shot people at long distances with one shot at a time or very short bursts.

And yep, it fucking owned. Now I just see people running around in circles using hipfire with it like cheesy douches.

No Love

Banned
I am embarrased to admit this, but at one point, I thought the MP34a was a rifle. I used it as a rifle, too. I shot people at long distances with one shot at a time or very short bursts.

And yep, it fucking owned. Now I just see people running around in circles using hipfire with it like cheesy douches.

Hipfire defeats the entire purpose of it. You have to aim with it. Those people are idiots.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
So...

Any upcoming news about this latest patch? They've been so quiet lol. I saw the tweets, but I think the soon™ has gotten to their heads.

I think there's some tuning still to be made on the mysticals/sidekicks.

I've been getting overwhelmed with Brutes/Indra's Eternity lately. The Indra with the 30% slow down mod is put your controller down time.

Brutes on the other hand get annoying when there's more than one. Having 3 brutes, hunters and a bunch of indra's eternity being spammed gets hectic.

I admit it's funny when I'm using it but it makes the game way too hectic.

AKyemeni

I think there's some tuning still to be made on the mysticals/sidekicks.

I've been getting overwhelmed with Brutes/Indra's Eternity lately. The Indra with the 30% slow down mod is put your controller down time.

Brutes on the other hand get annoying when there's more than one. Having 3 brutes, hunters and a bunch of indra's eternity being spammed gets hectic.

I admit it's funny when I'm using it but it makes the game way too hectic.
The beauty of being a sniper is that I can pick off the sidekicks from afar and mysticals aren't really that much of a danger to me.

leng jai

The beauty of being a sniper is that I can pick off the sidekicks from afar and mysticals aren't really that much of a danger to me.

Well I'm pretty sure most people play a sniper because you're pretty much always too far away to be in danger of anything.

I feel like it loses at mid-long range to the FAL and Mettler.

Also, I compared differences in TTK between the MP34a and AK and they aren't very different. The MP34a kills around 10% faster with bodyshots, but the AK kills 20% faster when you factor in headshots, as it only takes 4 to down at long range with headshots, but 5 with the MP34a.

I think a lot of peoples perceptions of the 'best weapon' are overstated. Most of the fully automatic rifles are quite similar in their TTK at close-mid ranges, close enough that it's likely to come down to the player rather than the weapon.

With that said there are obvious archetypes designed to dominate certain areas of the map, the FAL and Mettler dominant kind of midling, mid-long ranges, without much contest. A sniper can challenge but you're liable to die if you even miss one shot with the bolt-action. FAL burst can one-shot down with headshots too and if you're hit by any team shooting (as in, a burst from two players) the TTK is insanely low. AK's and MP34a's can also challenge but feature a much lower TTK across this mid-long range area.

The MP34a is proficient at close-mid, but if you want something to contest with longer ranged encounters then the AK is a better bet, you can burst fire headshots to down people much faster than you would with the HS39 XRC or MP34a. The XRC is a strickly close ranged weapon with a faster theoretical TTK up close than the MP34a but due to clip size it rarely pays off in my experience - only the best pick for single target blindfire, which leaves it with questionable overall efficacy.

Snipers obviously dominate long range and possess the fastest theoretical TTK in the game. In theory, a sniper can dominate at all ranges but in practice this is very difficult to achieve. Uncharted is not a game built for sniping, the variances in terrain elevation and player animations make headshots more difficult to achieve than in other shooters. Personally I would say the sniper is a bad pick overall, largely due to consistency. Dropping a shot with the bolt action means you've missed the team-shooting opportunity and your team are down on DPS output, unless you're landing every shot this will cause your team to lose team fights.

Let's say if it's 1 vs 2 and the sniper misses a shot, that functionally becomes 2 vs 1 for however long it took him to take that shot, and then however long it takes him to take the next - or switch to a sidearm where his DPS might be lower anyway. Against half decent players, you lose that gunfight. If a FAL user misses a burst it's much faster to compensate that, so the sniper inherently carries more risk, and that's my issue with it.

Obviously it's not without it's use though, I think having a single sniper per team can be useful in breaking up long-range stalemates where your team can apply pressure on a single down that other weapons wouldn't be able to achieve against more defensive teams, and there's some utility in dispatching sidekicks and things like that, but relatively situational and I wouldn't want more than one per team.

ThisOne

And where does the shotgun factor in?

That thing is straight up garbage. Slow rate of fire, two or three shots at close range to down someone. Has it been buffed at all since the game released? It is a terrible, terrible weapon.

And where does the shotgun factor in?

That thing is straight up garbage. Slow rate of fire, two or three shots at close range to down someone. Has it been buffed at all since the game released? It is a terrible, terrible weapon.
ND tends to overnerf power weapons, because people complained a lot about them in the previous games. Most of them are borderline useless, so you'll do better with a normal weapon and save those LPs for something else.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
ND tends to overnerf power weapons, because people complained a lot about them in the previous games. Most of them are borderline useless, so you'll do better with a normal weapon and save those LPs for something else.

I think he's talking about the Spezzotti, not the Condor.

Rajang

Unlocked all the vanity items as well.

FeelsGoodMan.

What is the main loadout you guys use?

Mine:

AK47 (with recoil mod)
Para. 45

Indra (with 30% slow mod)
Revive pack
Brute

Mark On Damage 2
Helping Hand 2

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
My main loadout is:

- Whatever long range gun I'm working on to unlock all hero weapons. At the moment it's the copperhead.
- aegis pistol with clip capacity
- revive packs
- sniper sidekick
- helping hand 3
- marking 3
- scavenger 3

Rajang

Disgusting.

Shame. Shaaame!

13524361511409.gif

Grinchy

Banned
AK with recoil was my main until I hit 1000 downs with it. The MP34a is a fun easy-mode gun, especially when you put blindfire on it.

N.Domixis

Banned
I play alone all the time, but I rarely feel challenged like in previous uncharted games. I don't think I have ever run into a party of good players like in the previous games. Anyone one feel like this? The game gets boring since I'm always mowing down anyone I come by.

My load out is this

-The Mp34a with accuracy mod. (bullseye icon)
-The hand gun that doesnt use LP

-Default Grenade
-Default Medic

-Stealth 2
-Down but not Out 2
-Helping Hand 2
-Explosive expert 1

Christos

I play alone all the time, but I rarely feel challenged like in previous uncharted games. I don't think I have ever run into a party of good players like in the previous games. Anyone one feel like this? The game gets boring since I'm always mowing down anyone I come by.

My load out is this

-The Mp34a with accuracy mod. (bullseye icon)
-The hand gun that doesnt use LP

-Default Grenade
-Default Medic

-Stealth 2
-Down but not Out 2
-Helping Hand 2
-Explosive expert 1

Have you tried Ranked TDM? I feel like higher ranks can provide very challenging and fun matches.

I envy you, because that isn't my experience at all. I went on a 20 matches losing streak over the last couple of days (in unranked, no less), no matter how well i did:

Though in this case my undoing clearly wasn't the other team. Let's not even mention the scores in matches against competent parties.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I've been on a losing streak tonight. I am reviving everyone, getting all the downs/KO's, but it's all useless because I'm stuck with new players who seem like they've never touched a controller before....

Btw, I just noticed that TDM treasures don't show up in late join matches... I don't mind late joins, but currently I'm on a 60 treasure challenge.

Man maybe o should try ranked because otherwise these teammates I'm getting are trash and that's saying something because I'm not very good either. Anytime I'm at the top at every match I play something is wrong

Top Bottom