• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Multiplayer |OT| Swinging To Victory

Christos

I was actually wondering, when do you get two get items from a gameplay chest instead of one? And when you get two it seems that one of the two items is always a pistol or a booster. But when you get primary guns you get them alone. Is that right?
So....
Pistol or Booster = Low Value Item
Primary Weapon = High Value Item
Heavy Weapon = ?
Mystical = ?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I hate how it is 3,000 points per bag to unlock dlc weapons and all i got was a booster I dont care for and a pistol.....sigh the grind continues to another 3,000
Did you end up getting the enforcer and radar booster? That's what I ended up getting for my first DLC gameplay chest.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Did you end up getting the enforcer and radar booster? That's what I ended up getting for my first DLC gameplay chest.

My first one was the 2 pistols. The second was hardened and the radar booster. I don't mind that I got the pistols now, as I really like using the enforcer.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Trying to run RTD solo is like a (really shitty) adventure.

I'm considering running ranked only when I have at least one more player to tag along...

What time most gaffers normally play?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
My first one was the 2 pistols. The second was hardened and the radar booster. I don't mind that I got the pistols now, as I really like using the enforcer.
Still don't know how I feel about the enforcer. I like it sometimes and then there's other times where I'm like, wtf. It's been a 50/50 experience with it so far, but I'm working my way in unlocking the hero weapons for it. Already got 2!

im in a lobby with one of the worst players ive ever played with and against. first they were 0/0 with 11 deaths on my team, then 2nd game he was on the other team 1 assist 8 deaths no kills/downs.

Foxxsoxx

Oh ok thanks guys.

Not sure if I want to suffer through ranked again just to get a golden hat, lol.

Yeah I'm only going to attempt it with friends, never solo. Diamond is the only one I really want, it looks pretty cool but it isn't worth it at all without a party of friends.

I was actually wondering, when do you get two get items from a gameplay chest instead of one? And when you get two it seems that one of the two items is always a pistol or a booster. But when you get primary guns you get them alone. Is that right?
So....
Pistol or Booster = Low Value Item
Primary Weapon = High Value Item
Heavy Weapon = ?
Mystical = ?
The Path of Indra must be a high-value item because I got it by itself.

Speaking of dlc, I don't know if I just haven't given the new pistols a fair shake, but I'm not feeling either of them. And when the Arrowhead fires, it sounds so cool.

im in a lobby with one of the worst players ive ever played with and against. first they were 0/0 with 11 deaths on my team, then 2nd game he was on the other team 1 assist 8 deaths no kills/downs.
Last game I played last night--I joined mid-match--we had two people who were 2-12 and 1-10 with zero revives. Thankfully the other team had a 5-10 and 4-10 with no revives.

We won by two!

Man, I'm in high spirits after the past two-three days of games.

Last game I played last night--I joined mid-match--we had two people who were 2-12 and 1-10 with zero revives. Thankfully the other team had a 5-10 and 4-10 with no revives.

We won by two!

Man, I'm in high spirits after the past two-three days of games.

The guy who went 0-0-0-11 didnt have any points, so no revives or assists. i didnt think that was possible. and he was there the entire match. not AFK just shit. and wasnt using a sniper either. i saw him using a shotgun, pistole and grenade launcher. not a single point on the scoreboard at the end of the game.

The guy who went 0-0-0-11 didnt have any points, so no revives or assists. i didnt think that was possible. and he was there the entire match. not AFK just shit. and wasnt using a sniper either. i saw him using a shotgun, pistole and grenade launcher. not a single point on the scoreboard at the end of the game.
Like how is this possible how could you possibly be so shit lol. At the very least the grenade launcher should get you a down or an assist dude must have been very terrible

Okay, that's bad, lol. I've never seen someone have a zero score.

Why is ranked so super frustrating? Before this update it was much more bearable. Now that all ranks reset, there was no point at all to go get diamond last season. Now it is a shit fest of try hards for shiny loot. Everyone is running around like headless chickens and ripping teams apart. It is so random.

The difference in player skill you encounter between playing a party and playing alone is insane.

I just demonstrated this game to a friend that came over, and finished 20-2 and 24-4 across two games, using a load out I've never used before (my friend was asking me to use the Djinn and China Lake) and just rushing them like a mad man. Making matters worse, I LOST both of those games. How did my team not manage to get 16 kills between 4 of them? My friend was dumbstruck "How did you not win? Everything looked good on your screen...", "It's a team game man" I shrugged, as I showed him the leaderboard.

I don't normally play alone, but I don't think I've ever had it so easy. I was just running around, without thinking at all, and somehow killing everyone as if they were firing rubber bullets.

I guess it makes sense though, since you encounter mostly solo queuers when alone, but damn. Normally I'm with one or two other guys, and we get stacked parties of 5 to play against, the difference is startling.

Trying to run RTD solo is like a (really shitty) adventure.

I'm considering running ranked only when I have at least one more player to tag along...

What time most gaffers normally play?

I have a ranked chat group and community on PS4 for people that want to join, haven't had much chance to play yet but I'd be up for playing with you. I remember enjoying playing with you in the beta.

the team ballencing is fucking shit sine the last week. just had a match where i was involved in all of my teams 25 KO's. i had 17 of them myself with 19 downs. the rest i assisted on.

My first DLC gameplay chest gave me 1 drop (Arrowhead), not 2 as I expected. Damn you RNG... and it takes like 1 week to gather 3000 relics.

I don't want to buy Uncharted Points or even the season pass anymore, even though I can afford them, because I don't endorse the consecutive white plugs nerfs and the horrible 15 Hz tickrate.

FFS, at least give us a tickrate slider for Custom Games: http://feedback.naughtydog.com/foru...ons/14951532-tickrate-slider-for-custom-games

60 fps is the biggest lie in this game (it's just for the graphics engine, the network engine operates 4!!! times slower than that). Even in a LAN party with 100 Mbps connections, you'll still have 15 Hz and get killed behind walls. A low tickrate promotes camping instead of mobility. It doesn't belong in the Uncharted universe.

This has nothing to do with packet loss (hence the LAN party reference), it's how often the netcode sends player avatar updates to other players. If you are observant enough, you'll notice that all players (even non-lagging ones with fast upload speeds) have a "jerkiness" in their animations while running. That's because the graphics engine is trying to interpolate animation frames from 15 to 60 Hz.

titanfall-de-limportance-dun-bon-tickrate-ME3050237385_2.jpg

Extreme packet loss can reduce the default 15 Hz tickrate to 5-7 Hz in some cases (the graphics engine cannot compensate/interpolate that and that's why you see blatant frame skipping/ice skating), but even if someone doesn't have packet loss, 15 Hz is still way too low for a Competitive 60 fps shooter.

The gameplay is fun, it's just the lagger-friendly netcode that sours the experience for me.

This game barely uses 512 Kbps in each direction (down/up) and that's with a party chat as well. I had 512 Kbps upload 10 years ago (2006) and I didn't even have a PS3 back then. This isn't next-gen at all.

I'm sorry Sony/ND, but if you think that laggers from Russia or Argentina are going to buy Uncharted Points, you're in for a rude awakening. I still remember a guy from South America saying that the season pass cost him a month of food in his country. Business and marketing-wise, this isn't the audience you should be targeting IMHO.

anyone else come up against someone with no connection sign on the leaderboard. not like 0 bars but its just blank before the name. ive seen it in 2 different games today

anyone else come up against someone with no connection sign on the leaderboard. not like 0 bars but its just blank before the name. ive seen it in 2 different games today
NAT Type 3 players are like that. There's no direct connectivity, so you can't ping them (there's indirect connectivity through the host which increases lag immensely).

They have an exclusive Mystical that allows them to resurrect themselves after getting downed.
It's called "Lazarus".

Elron

Neo Member
NAT Type 3 players are like that. There's no direct connectivity, so you can't ping them (there's indirect connectivity through the host which increases lag immensely).

They have an exclusive Mystical that allows them to resurrect themselves after getting downed.
It's called "Lazarus".

LooL!!!

One thing I don't understand about the randoms is that they will almost never shoot at the enemy team. Like, doing damage is actually contributing to the team, while sitting behind cover isn't. It's frustrating hitting two shots on somebody with the bishai and then nobody hitting them even a single time afterward. I mean, they only have 10 health left at that point. A single bullet from any gun will do.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Finally saved up 3k relics again to open up my 2nd chest. Managed to get the hardened booster and the other pistol. Not bad.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Mmmm what time are you running on? I'm usually free around 7pm est onwards

I been playing different times a day, as my timezone is different from most of GAF (I'm in Brazil, at UTC-03:00).

Send me a friend request on PSN (My id is YKERR).

I have a ranked chat group and community on PS4 for people that want to join, haven't had much chance to play yet but I'd be up for playing with you. I remember enjoying playing with you in the beta.

Thanks Chronos, it's been hard to enjoy the game solo. I decided to give up on playing ranked and simply chill on the normal playlist.

Last night i got a game where my team was curb stomped, we lost 40-13. When i checked the scoreboard I saw that 12 downs/10 KO and 4 assists were mine.

My team COMBINED couldn't even score half of my downs.

I been playing different times a day, as my timezone is different from most of GAF (I'm in Brazil, at UTC-03:00).

Send me a friend request on PSN (My id is YKERR).

Thanks Chronos, it's been hard to enjoy the game solo. I decided to give up on playing ranked and simply chill on the normal playlist.

Last night i got a game where my team was curb stomped, we lost 40-13. When i checked the scoreboard I saw that 12 downs/10 KO and 4 assists were mine.

My team COMBINED couldn't even score half of my downs.
Wait were already friends 😂

Dave_6

I hate how it is 3,000 points per bag to unlock dlc weapons and all i got was a booster I dont care for and a pistol.....sigh the grind continues to another 3,000

Yep, I finally got up to 3000 after a few days and get two damn modifiers in the first chest I unlocked :/

I would say for ranked, you're actually better going in alone than with a party of two. The game seems to just have a binary system whether you're in a party, or not, and as soon as you have a friend with you that's a flag for the game to scurry you off into a match against a party of 5.

A party of 2+2+1 =/= a party of 5 in regards to communication and overall coordination, and it tends to have a big impact.

My first DLC gameplay chest gave me 1 drop (Arrowhead), not 2 as I expected. Damn you RNG... and it takes like 1 week to gather 3000 relics.

I don't want to buy Uncharted Points or even the season pass anymore, even though I can afford them, because I don't endorse the consecutive white plugs nerfs and the horrible 15 Hz tickrate.

FFS, at least give us a tickrate slider for Custom Games: http://feedback.naughtydog.com/foru...ons/14951532-tickrate-slider-for-custom-games

60 fps is the biggest lie in this game (it's just for the graphics engine, the network engine operates 4!!! times slower than that). Even in a LAN party with 100 Mbps connections, you'll still have 15 Hz and get killed behind walls. A low tickrate promotes camping instead of mobility. It doesn't belong in the Uncharted universe.

This has nothing to do with packet loss (hence the LAN party reference), it's how often the netcode sends player avatar updates to other players. If you are observant enough, you'll notice that all players (even non-lagging ones with fast upload speeds) have a "jerkiness" in their animations while running. That's because the graphics engine is trying to interpolate animation frames from 15 to 60 Hz.

titanfall-de-limportance-dun-bon-tickrate-ME3050237385_2.jpg

Extreme packet loss can reduce the default 15 Hz tickrate to 5-7 Hz in some cases (the graphics engine cannot compensate/interpolate that and that's why you see blatant frame skipping/ice skating), but even if someone doesn't have packet loss, 15 Hz is still way too low for a Competitive 60 fps shooter.

The gameplay is fun, it's just the lagger-friendly netcode that sours the experience for me.

This game barely uses 512 Kbps in each direction (down/up) and that's with a party chat as well. I had 512 Kbps upload 10 years ago (2006) and I didn't even have a PS3 back then. This isn't next-gen at all.

I'm sorry Sony/ND, but if you think that laggers from Russia or Argentina are going to buy Uncharted Points, you're in for a rude awakening. I still remember a guy from South America saying that the season pass cost him a month of food in his country. Business and marketing-wise, this isn't the audience you should be targeting IMHO.

There is a slight bright side to, if you do have higher latency then you're less disadvantaged with lower tickrates. As everyone is more behind it buffers your own latency away a little, adding a 66 milisecond (I think this is correct) buffer to everyone's latency.

Either way, I don't think it stops the game being competitive, as everyone has to suffer the strengths and weaknesses of the same system and generally I feel the better player does come out on top, but yeah, it would be a lot better with a higher tick rate. Even 30 would be fine in my opinion.

There is a slight bright side to, if you do have higher latency then you're less disadvantaged with lower tickrates. As everyone is more behind it buffers your own latency away a little, adding a 66 milisecond (I think this is correct) buffer to everyone's latency.
Latency doesn't matter, since we have lag compensation.

If I have 30 ms latency to the host and someone else has 100 ms to the host, lag compensation injects an extra 70 ms of virtual latency for me, so that we will be "equal" and I won't have a lag advantage. Call it netcode communism or whatever you like, it is what it is.

Tickrate is an entirely different matter as I said, since it affects even LAN matches (100 Mbps, <1 ms ping). Thankfully LAN matches don't have lag compensation, since there's nothing to compensate for. ;)

Either way, I don't think it stops the game being competitive, as everyone has to suffer the strengths and weaknesses of the same system and generally I feel the better player does come out on top, but yeah, it would be a lot better with a higher tick rate. Even 30 would be fine in my opinion.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I will never consider a 15 Hz game truly competitive.

Sure, everyone plays by the same rules and you won't see me complaining about mysticals or sidecocks. I'll never say that this game isn't competitive because some NPCs might get a few kills for you. You still need to have skill to get the majority of kills without help from the CPU.

I won't even deny that sometimes I'm the one who kills people behind cover/walls (in my screen I see them a few frames before entering cover) and you know what? I'm not going to be a hypocrite and say that I earned those kills. I want to be objective and honest. I don't want to get killed behind walls and vice versa. Fair and square.

So, yeah, a 30 Hz experimental weekend would be wonderful, but they already did that once in TLOU MP and some people from the community didn't like it, because they had like 300-400 Kbps of upload speed. I'm not going to be selfish either and ask for separate 30 Hz playlists. We all know that the player pool isn't that big (Plunder matchmaking already has trouble to find players).

Just give us a tickrate slider for Custom Games, 1-60 Hz, adjustable in 1 Hz increments. It doesn't cost them anything to implement this, apart from a few lines of C++ code. DICE had to pay for better servers (due to increased CPU usage) and more network bandwidth. ND doesn't use dedicated servers.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Man, both the new pistols feel super weak. The slow one isn't powerful enough for how slow and wobbly (and expensive) it is, and the fast one isn't fast enough for how weak it is.

I'd appreciate it if a ND dev chimed in and enlightened us about the current tickrate values (from UC2 all the way to UC4 MP, including TLOU MP). Secrecy won't do you any good in the modern era where transparency is the norm. If it's 15 Hz, just admit it. If it's higher than that, then you can prove me wrong.

As a gesture of goodwill, if ND is going to address this openly with 100% honesty and if we can agree to meet halfway with a Custom Game tickrate slider, I promise to buy the current season pass and post the PSN purchase receipt here. Scripta manent, I put my money where my mouth is.

Your move, ND.

SDR-UK

I'd appreciate it if a ND dev chimed in and enlightened us about the current tickrate values (from UC2 all the way to UC4 MP, including TLOU MP). Secrecy won't do you any good in the modern era where transparency is the norm. If it's 15 Hz, just admit it. If it's higher than that, then you can prove me wrong.

As a gesture of goodwill, if ND is going to address this openly with 100% honesty and if we can agree to meet halfway with a Custom Game tickrate slider, I promise to buy the current season pass and post the PSN purchase receipt here. Scripta manent, I put my money where my mouth is.

Your move, ND.

Per Erin Daly:

To clear up some misinformation: the network update rate of The Last of Us is not 10Hz. The Last of Us use a hybrid approach whereby player movement is updated at 15Hz and other gameplay-critical data is sent on the next frame (with the game running at ~30Hz). So events like shooting an enemy player, getting an extra frame of progress on the lockbox in Interrogation mode, dying, respawning, are all updated at ~30Hz (the game runs at 30 most of the time but as noted there are occasional small dips).

Player movement updates are quite critical obviously and a higher update rate for them would improve some of the latency-related issues. For example, the case where you see yourself move behind a wall and you think you are safe but on the enemy player's machine your position is slightly in the past so from her perspective she shoots you before you've moved behind the wall.

In an earlier patch we experimented with increasing the network update rate for player movement to 30, but there were a lot of players who were unable to play as this requires more upstream bandwidth and causes more issues with wifi connections.

The Last of Us Remastered Edition on PS4 will use the same network update rate as the PS3 for player movement (15Hz) and gameplay-critical events will also be sent on the next frame. We are targeting 60fps, which results in a slight decrease in latency (16ms vs. 33ms) on events like firing your weapon / spawning / dying / etc.

Uncharted 2 and 3 both operated at 15hz before that.

It is likely that Uncharted 4 is taking the same approach as TLOU Remastered.

Per Erin Daly:

Uncharted 2 and 3 both operated at 15hz before that.

It is likely that Uncharted 4 is taking the same approach as TLOU Remastered.
Thanks for the info. So, it's safe to assume that UC4 MP uses the exact same tickrate values, unless ND says otherwise.

Still though, I would appreciate an official response regarding UC4 MP and a compromising solution for like-minded players with decent upload speeds.

ps: Does Erin Daly have a GAF account? He seems that he knows his stuff. :)

Fbh

Ok...So I just turned on my ps4 from rest mode to find and uncharted 4 update that failed because I lack space..... I have 50 GB free . Even if you need twice the free space you are telling me it's a 25gb+ update ?

SDR-UK

Ok...So I just turned on my ps4 from rest mode to find and uncharted 4 update that failed because I lack space..... I have 50 GB free . Even if you need twice the free space you are telling me it's a 25gb+ update ?

If you just delete something trivial like a screenshot, it usually fixes the issue. It's a bug introduced with one of the latest PS4 System Software Updates.

Btw, this party vs solo segregation is already hurting certain playlists...

I was in a party of 4 and we just couldn't find any players. I left the party to go solo and I was able to find players in less than 5 seconds.

Now that I finished my challenge (it's a lot easier solo than with a party), I went back to the party (3 players instead of 4) and we still couldn't find any players at all.

Does this make any sense at all? Should we just penalize parties, just because certain solo players demonize them?

It's not like a party of 2 vs a party of 5 is more "fair" than a party of 5 vs solo players.

I'm not saying that they should match small parties vs small parties (it would be ridiculous pool-wise), but ND should remove the party/solo segregation for Plunder at least. It's 4v4 and finding players is hard enough already.

I cannot imagine what will happen if they introduce more PvP playlists (Elimination, FFA etc.)

Grinchy

Banned
I would say for ranked, you're actually better going in alone than with a party of two. The game seems to just have a binary system whether you're in a party, or not, and as soon as you have a friend with you that's a flag for the game to scurry you off into a match against a party of 5.
I totally agree. I did all my ranked playing in a party of 2 and it always felt like playing with a team of randoms against Seal Team Six.

Man idk what it is with uncharted but I lag out like a mofo repeatedly and it's only when I'm in a gaf party. I could be playing all day and than as soon as I join a party it starts kicking me.

ranked is fucked when you come up against a team with 3 members who have Master rank trucker hats and you are still in bronze 1.

And then the next match you lose by 8 when someone goes 0-0-0-4 and 12 deaths.

Grinchy

Banned
ranked is fucked when you come up against a team with 3 members who have Master rank trucker hats and you are still in bronze 1.

And then the next match you lose by 8 when someone goes 0-0-0-4 and 12 deaths.

Especially when those are your completely random qualifier matches that for no apparent reason determine whether you rank up.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
This has been happening a lot lately for me. Whenever I'm playing with friends, one of us will get 'split' and be in a completely different match while everyone else stays intact. Wtf?

Top Bottom