• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure we'll see Chloe in the story DLC. It's gonna be
the job she's talking about in the note you can read when you're in the attic right after the job in Malaysia

(note: it's just an assumption and I didn't finish the game yet)

Yes please! I missed
Chloe and Cutter
in the game.

Watching the credits roll right now. I'm not a fan of the stronger focus on story.
But it is without a doubt one of my best experiences in gaming.

At Chapter 13ish and I really have to disagree. The storytelling makes it. Even the quips and dialogue as the characters run through the world adds to its depth. Just an incredible layering of information. You're not really picking up tapes and reading text to get a sense of the world. Its absolutely incredible. I'm playing though slowly taking it all in. Love the story.

Keihart

Gonna start playing today after work, but i have to say something first...the phiysical regular version sucks:
.-No reversible cover
.-No manual or art
.-No stickers
.-Disc art is just the same art as the cover.

Basically, zero effort on it. It is a shame really, since TLoU physical version was so much better with even some ND stickers on it.

Philippo

Just got to Chapter 5.
It's great for now: mind-blowing graphics, fluid controls, variety and great pacing.
Can't wait for it to hit the higher gears.

icespide

Banned
Gonna start playing today after work, but i have to say something first...the phiysical regular version sucks:
.-No reversible cover
.-No manual or art
.-No stickers
.-Disc art is just the same art as the cover.

Basically, zero effort on it. It is a shame really, since TLoU physical version was so much better with even some ND stickers on it.

come to the all digital future baby

Just got to Chapter 5.
It's great for now: mind-blowing graphics, fluid controls, variety and great pacing.
Can't wait for it to hit the higher gears.

and the scary thing is chapter after chapter, they up the ante and it continually remains amazing. Some of the sights in the later chapters are just wow. All this for the 1 game. This universe they created.

CHC

Goddamn the chapter title card font is soooo good. So glad they didn't go with some generic looking typed font.

Thewonandonly

Damn usually I don't like naughty dogs games but I have to say this was fantastic. The gunplay felt smooth enough and was as janky as past uncharteds. That story was amazing to and some twist had my jaw open. The ending was the perfect way to end this series.

Wow naughty dog with this and the last of us you guys belong up their with rockstar

void666

Banned
At Chapter 13ish and I really have to disagree. The storytelling makes it. Even the quips and dialogue as the characters run through the world adds to its depth. Just an incredible layering of information. You're not really picking up tapes and reading text to get a sense of the world. Its absolutely incredible. I'm playing though slowly taking it all in. Love the story.

I enjoyed the story very much.I just wanted more shooting and crazy setpieces.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Man the platinum is going to be a painnnnn

-Crushing play through
-6 hour speed run
-70% accuracy finish

LOL!

- Crushing shouldn't be too bad if you use stealth.
- Play on Easy and goooo!
- Should be able to do on your speed run with Aim Assist.

And holy hell this game is looooonnnnnggggg. I just hit 10 hours of play time at the beginning of Chapter 13. I just beat all the other Uncharted games last month in under 10 hours each.

Lingitiz

Ok guys this soundtrack is way better than the previous games.

My top 3 so far:

1.)
Cut to the chase
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M30Zt1FepW8
2.)
New Devon
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8e7YnMHNU8
3.)
The Twelve Towers
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=396GHd8wpXU
I love the soundtrack even though I understand why some miss the more bombastic and melodic stuff from past games. The dynamic combat music really got my heart rate up. It's good stuff.

Don't know why most reviewers ignored this but the context sensitive controls can be quite frustrating and annoying at times, just like in the previous Uncharted games.

I'm on a higher ledge waiting to drop down to a lower ledge and I press the drop button and fall to my death instead of dropping to the lower ledge. I'm sitting there pointing my left stick in the correct direction to get Nate to jump to the next hand held perfectly placed rock grab spot and he just sits there like a lump doing nothing.

I press the go into cover button standing next to cover and the game instead puts me into a roll that places me right in the line of fire of the enemies that I was supposed to be hiding from because the roll and cover button are the same.

Everybody is too busy gushing over the set pieces to complain about the controls.

Git good.

Its a game. Games have rules to follow or die. I am glad this game has consequences for bad players not paying attention.

Don't know why most reviewers ignored this but the context sensitive controls can be quite frustrating and annoying at times, just like in the previous Uncharted games.

I'm on a higher ledge waiting to drop down to a lower ledge and I press the drop button and fall to my death instead of dropping to the lower ledge. I'm sitting there pointing my left stick in the correct direction to get Nate to jump to the next hand held perfectly placed rock grab spot and he just sits there like a lump doing nothing.

I press the go into cover button standing next to cover and the game instead puts me into a roll that places me right in the line of fire of the enemies that I was supposed to be hiding from because the roll and cover button are the same.

Everybody is too busy gushing over the set pieces to complain about the controls.

never had an issue TBH.

Valonquar

The opening screen as a capture with text removed looks like concept art and not a render:
Q3CNGdm.png

-Crushing play through
-6 hour speed run
-70% accuracy finish

LOL!

For the 70% accuracy, can't you just put it on the easiest possible difficulty level, shoot one guy, and then punch everything else to death?

I'm doing my first playthrough on Crushing right now and there's only a few parts so far that were hard, but when it's hard it's REALLY hard. Right after Avery's Grave was fucking brutal.

Might have helped if i had done a playthrough on an easier difficulty first, but oh well.

NotLiquid

As someone who really liked but didn't completely adore UC2 (as well as I should stress, it being the only post-PS2 ND game I've played aside from TLoU) I'm finding a lot of things to love in this game. In terms of game play I feel like UC4 has finally nailed a truly organic level of combining mechanics with design, and it's almost entirely thanks to the hook. Swinging while picking off enemies in some truly cleverly designed areas is a fun exercise (even if somewhat hard to pull off at higher difficulties due to enemies being pretty accurate hitting you) and I love how it's opened itself up. There's a lot more creative, lateral thinking involved not just by the designers but by the player. I often try to stealth as much as I can when the levels are designed for it and it's a fun exercise. I also don't feel too "punished" whenever that kind of approach fails, which is good. It's a game that's really good with it's options whenever it's not forcing your hand.

It's just a bit of a shame that the one thing I think UC2 did a lot better than UC4 just had to have been pacing, and in a game like this I definitely think pacing is incredibly important. One of the best things UC2 had to it was how it entirely seemed to "get" when the player needed a bit of downtime, when it needed to throw a set piece at you or when it needed to have you in an encounter. Most of the time the tension was appropriately paced and it usually didn't keep you waiting too much with mundane interim. Comparatively speaking I feel like UC4 has a little too much downtime at times. It's rather odd to me how slow the game started and even well after the fact there's a few too many moments when the game seems to go about artificially lengthening certain segments. It reminds me of TLoU and while I think it worked well in that game because it all played a part in building a world, here I generally feel it's at odds, or that it impedes on the fun itself, as well as the swashbuckling action. It's not a deal breaker obviously but I don't think I'm going to feel very tempted to replay the game again anytime soon.

Other than that the visuals really started to wow me when I got to Madagascar. It's a very beautiful game and surprisingly colorful at times, which I like. The writing is also stellar and I love the characters. I'm having a lot of fun with the game. Not the best game I've played this gen but definitely one that resonates as a highlight.

Floody

Ok guys this soundtrack is way better than the previous games.

My top 3 so far:

1.)
Cut to the chase
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M30Zt1FepW8
2.)
New Devon
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8e7YnMHNU8
3.)
The Twelve Towers
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=396GHd8wpXU

I liked the soundtrack too, thought it was a little bit too much "superhero-y", but it has some excellent tracks. One thing I didn't like though was
Nate's Theme 4.0
, really underwhelmed by that.

KiraXD

Dunno if anyone has mentioned this "trick" for unlimited Relic Points via Mobile game?

You can get basically unlimited Relic Points to unlock stuff in MP with the F2P Uncharted game on iOS and Android. On iOS, once you complete all the levels available, (i unlocked 7,500 relic points total once finished) delete the game, and it deletes the data. redownload the game and all the levels can get keys again (keys unlock the chests which can give the relic points that transfer to uncharted 4 MP)

Yes you have to play the mobile game over, but if youre out and about, might as well get those Relic Points right? (i dont think this is "cheating" right? i mean its definitely gaming the system... but... iono if you dont feel good about it i guess just dont do it?)

void666

Banned
A few more thoughts.

The whole pirate treasure story is actually pretty interesting. The scenarios are amazingly done and specially by the end are quite impressive.
I never really cared about el dorado or shambala or iram of the pillars.

About the final boss:
I enjoyed it thematically but not mechanically. It's essentially a QTE fight.
It's one more exemple where everything you've done throughout the game is ignored when you reach the final boss. But i loved that they are modern pirates fighting with swords. And it looks great.

zsynqx

I really hope they update the encounter select so it doesn't force you to restart when finished and allows you to carry on playing.

-Crushing play through
-6 hour speed run
-70% accuracy finish

LOL!

What the fuq.

That's just annoying.

I think this will need 3 playthroughs from me to get Platinum...

After the "first time one" of course.

I'm doing Easy mode right now for Collectibles/Conversations.... might as well do the 70% run as well I guess at the same time.

Will do Crushing last I think.

BumRush

I haven't beaten it yet but I just realized a 'no encounters' mode would be siiiiiiiick. I mean, the gameplay / gun play is insanely tight but I'd definitely fun through it again if I could just take in the scenery and story.

A few more thoughts.

The whole pirate treasure story is actually pretty interesting. The scenarios are amazingly done and specially by the end are quite impressive.
I never really cared about el dorado or shambala or iram of the pillars.

About the final boss:
I enjoyed it thematically but not mechanically. It's essentially a QTE fight.
It's one more exemple where everything you've done throughout the game is ignored when you reach the final boss. But i loved that they are modern pirates fighting with swords. And it looks great.

I agree with the story thing, on pirate treasure, I think it was perfect, and I liked that they subverted the mutant stuff from the other games into this one

U4 is just decidedly more human of a story, so it only makes sense to not go supernatural overtly imo

also all the end bosses of Uncharted are QTE, except for 2, Lazarevic remains my favourite end boss of all the Uncharted games, I actually loved that fight personally

and yea i think it was perfect even still, i usually have a problem with melee in Uncharted games for bosses, but it just animates TOO GOOD in this game to say no... hahaha

Adding to what I said early, another thing I'm really loving about the game is how they combined the "sense of place" with traveling the world.

You go from one country to another, like Uncharted 2 and 3, but in each of them you get to a certain point where you can look back and see where you came from and think "shit, that was a long ride!" like in Uncharted 1
and Golden Abyss
. Like in
the Scotland chapter, when you see the cross where you have to go, then you reach that point and can see the graveyard where you started.
This kind of stuff works so great in games that wants you to feel the adventure.

gruenel

-Crushing play through
-6 hour speed run
-70% accuracy finish

LOL!

It's actually extremely easy because
the bonuses you can buy don't disable trophies, unlike Uncharted 1-3. I'm currently doing my 2nd playthrough on crushing with infinite ammo RPG and slow motion aiming, it's a lot of fun and easy as hell.

JTripper

-Crushing play through
-6 hour speed run
-70% accuracy finish

LOL!

I just finished my speed run and it was pretty easy. Came in at a final time of
5:09 and the accuracy trophy is easy if you use the gun select cheat and just use the Barok with infinite ammo.

Hawk269

Just mid-way around chapter 9 and so far the AI is pretty fucking stupid. I stealth kill a guy, leave his body on the ground, 2 other AI walk by it like it is not there and act like nothing happened. It is just weird when trying to be stealthy and taking guys out silently, that bodies strewn about are not making the AI aware that something might be up. Visuals, Story and pacing to me has been great, but the AI thing is bugging me and wish they had some decent AI in the game.

Just finished it, best Uncharted in my opinion. It's on par with The Last of Us right now for me, but I need to let it digest a bit more before giving that an absolute.

Holy Christ. Just when I thought the
Madascar
level looked gorgeous, I'm completely floored at chapter 12. Can't believe my ps4 is showing some of the best graphics I've ever seen in a video game, period. Wowza. Spent the past hour taking screenshots. I already have around 400 lol.

Just mid-way around chapter 9 and so far the AI is pretty fucking stupid. I stealth kill a guy, leave his body on the ground, 2 other AI walk by it like it is not there and act like nothing happened. It is just weird when trying to be stealthy and taking guys out silently, that bodies strewn about are not making the AI aware that something might be up. Visuals, Story and pacing to me has been great, but the AI thing is bugging me and wish they had some decent AI in the game.

I dont like the stealth either.

It has the most blatant example of "Let's all split up and not talk to each other so nate can kill us"

Not to mention the classic "hide until the a.i loses interest" is not compelling

What they should have done was made the a.i dynamic

If they spot you and lose you, they should be using stealth too. Hiding in grass, behind cover, etc

Instead they just go back on patrol

Hawk269

Holy Christ. Just when I thought the
Madascar
level looked gorgeous, I'm completely floored at chapter 12. Can't believe my ps4 is showing some of the best graphics I've ever seen in a video game, period. Wowza. Spent the past hour taking screenshots. I already have around 400 lol.

I will be hitting those levels very soon and cannot wait to see them. Everyone that I have talked with have said those levels are absolutely incredible visually. I am taking my time, but have about 4 hours to play tonight so should get to those levels tonight. Can't wait!

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

What difficulty are you playing on?

The AI see bodies that I have killed all the time then search the area.

Top Bottom