• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Yea my complaints about the opening minimized when I saw how much meat I had left although I still contend they could have made the first few chapters paced better. I'm done with 8-11? Does it get better than this because I was blown away?

I don't know how to answer in a non spoiler way. But the game isn't even half over yet, and it's a fantastic experience all the way through.

So... yes?

wouwie

Visually and atmosphere wise, the second part of chapter 8 is amazing.
Once it started snowing and i arrived at that rocky coast line, my jaw dropped. One of my favourite locations from the series. Just a pity that the snow level is already happening so early in the game. I love snow levels and weather effects in general.

ymgve

I hated the final boss fight.

There are some moves like when he hits you with a stab where it's really hard to judge if it's a left or right, and doing the wrong thing throws off my rhythm so I get hit at least a few times more.

The whole section would have been better with button prompts to tell you exactly what to push, even though it would have revealed the section for the QTE it was.

(You are also able to use square to attack, but attacking basically did nothing unless you did it at the pre-determined "here's the proceed trigger so press square now" points.)

Woodchipper

First moment of frustration so far just occured
in chapter 18. Gun fights are still not enjoyable for me in this franchise.

eXistor

Loving the game and I just had to comment on this great easter egg (that I'm sure I'm eons late on). The puzzle with the
paintings
had that one pirate that nobody recognised, which is of course
Guybrush Threepwood, of Monkey Island fame who of course had the Monkey Sigil

I feel they finally nailed the pacing in their games. The first 3 Uncharted games were too shooty shooty, bang bang for me and it was always telegraphed when fights were gonna happen (which is still an issue, but understandably so I suppose). This one, like TLOU, strikes a great balance between exploration and action. I vastly prefer this slower, more methodical approach than the overtly actiony style the previous games had. By far the best in the series so far, unless something goes terribly wrong with the game after the chapter I'm in now which is
ten I think, I lose track

Yes the boat part. I didn't wanna outright say it because spoilers or whatever. The orphanage and the sections afterward are immediately much better. But those first five minutes on the boat have to be worst intro in any of the Uncharted games.

Yeah it was odd but I think it was supposed to be a callback to 1's opening

What are the restrictions on using the unlocked guns and infinite ammo this time?
Does it lock out trophies or can you not use them altogether on a higher difficulty?

CHC

Yes the boat part. I didn't wanna outright say it because spoilers or whatever. The orphanage and the sections afterward are immediately much better. But those first five minutes on the boat have to be worst intro in any of the Uncharted games.

Yeah it just was kind of like "ok.... why are we here?" but not in an intriguing way like the suspended train car in Uncharted 2.

Still, the game is fucking incredible so far, really. And yeah about spoilers I was going to put them but it's literally the first >5 minutes of the game we're talking about here, so whatever.

I dug the pacing. Traversing for longer stretches was enjoyable thanks to the new mechanics and larger areas which are stunningly detailed.

They've finally gotten the stealth right and transitions between stealth and combat is really great.

I also enjoyed the puzzles in this more than the other games.

nib95

Banned
Hopefully the last few gunfights in the game prove challenging on Crushing because on this second play through, even on this hardest difficulty I've found the game a bit easy. There's so much tactical freedom and mobility options in arenas that you can pretty much always escape harms way and effectively flank whenever things get hairy. Whilst the AI are super effective and very good at pinning and flanking, stealth pretty much obliterates them. The only hard bit about Crushing so far has been ammo management. I'm running out of ammo left and right!

I hope ND add a new difficulty option the equivalent of Grounded or Brutal.

Side note, this game has the most satisfying grenades and dynamite of any shooter. Watching the massive explosion and mushroom cloud followed by enemies flying sky high with awesome physics and animations. Too good.

ZeroRay

Not really digging the pacing. I would have actually preferred if they doled out more combat encounters throughout.

Exploration worked better in TLOU because of the pace as well as exploration leading to tangible benefits for the player (more resources, supplies, health pick ups) while there's only treasure and the odd bit of lore items here and there.

icespide

Banned
just realized that tall grass are to UC4 what bricks were to the last of us. As soon as you see some tall grass or some bricks you know you're about to fight some guys

Shin-chan

I just reached chapter 17 and my only criticism so far is that I wish there were more strings of shootout after shootout. I appreciate the pacing and the exploration, especially in these gorgeous environments, but one thing I loved about Uncharted 2 is how Nepal and the Monastary just constantly throw you into varied shootouts in different structures. Like, just as I'm getting into the swing of things the enemies are dead and it's back to exploration.

It's a shame because the shooting and level design and traversal are pretty much the best of any game I've ever played. I just want more of it! Here's hoping the next parts and DLC can provide this.

Kule

I hated the final boss fight.

There are some moves like when he hits you with a stab where it's really hard to judge if it's a left or right, and doing the wrong thing throws off my rhythm so I get hit at least a few times more.

The whole section would have been better with button prompts to tell you exactly what to push, even though it would have revealed the section for the QTE it was.

(You are also able to use square to attack, but attacking basically did nothing unless you did it at the pre-determined "here's the proceed trigger so press square now" points.)

I felt the same way.. some of his moves weren't well choreographed. It might have been better if they made his moves more obvious and did □ = left, Δ = up, O = right

Elitist1945

So I called my friend over to help me with the
ending boss fight and of course I did it all in one try after failing several times. Typical. Wish it would've went that way the first time so I didn't get a negative opinion of the sequence.
Fucking loved the ending.

EDIT: Just sat through the credits and
awwww at the Thanks to Amy Henig

icespide

Banned
I just reached chapter 17 and my only criticism so far is that I wish there were more strings of shootout after shootout. I appreciate the pacing and the exploration, especially in these gorgeous environments, but one thing I loved about Uncharted 2 is how Nepal and the Monastary just constantly throw you into varied shootouts in different structures. Like, just as I'm getting into the swing of things the enemies are dead and it's back to exploration.

It's a shame because the shooting and level design and traversal are pretty much the best of any game I've ever played. I just want more of it! Here's hoping the next parts and DLC can provide this.

you're literally about to get your wish

leng jai

Can't understand the love for the new traversal mechanics, namely the rope and the sliding. The sliding in particular is absurd and way overused in the first 7 chapters. The rope is similarly silly, I rolled my eyes half the time after figuring out what stupid manoeuvre they wanted me to do to get to the next ledge. The extended platforming sections were a chore for me unfortunately.

icespide

Banned
Can't understand the love for the new traversal mechanics, namely the rope and the sliding. The sliding in particular is absurd and way overused in the first 7 chapters. The rope is similarly silly, I rolled my eyes half the time after figuring out what stupid manoeuvre they wanted me to do to get to the next ledge.

yeah I enjoyed the rope for the most part but there are definitely some parts where they ask you to swing with an arc that makes no sense

Laws00

I would like to know when Nate and Elena are playing
Crash Bandicoot
can you beat Elenas high score?

Riozaki

Banned

That what I'm saying all the day. The gameplay is really really good and I want to fight more enmies with that tight gameplay. It's the only thing that I hate about this game because when I finished it I didn't feel satisfied.

Despite that, the story and characters development is one of the best things I have seen in any video game. I hope ND make the DLC have more stealth and fighting sections with huge set pieces like train section in UC2 but also mentainig the exploration.

Loris146

Not really digging the pacing. I would have actually preferred if they doled out more combat encounters throughout.

Exploration worked better in TLOU because of the pace as well as exploration leading to tangible benefits for the player (more resources, supplies, health pick ups) while there's only treasure and the odd bit of lore items here and there.

You can avoid exploration anyway. In TLOU you were forced to explore ( to survive). That is not the case in U4. It's up to you.

nib95

Banned
I also wish there were a few more gunfights thrown in, especially in the first half of the game. Would have just perfected the pacing. As is its just a little too plodding, especially if you're good at combat and make short work of the few early encounters that do exist. Tbh, I blame all the people who complained about enemy waves and bullet sponge enemies in the past games. Truth is those people just sucked at the combat lol.

Congrats ND!!

Game is a friggin masterpiece.. Perfect blend of adventure, gunplay, & suspense... The attention to detail was just marvelous!

zsynqx

The exploration feels pointless since there's nothing to gain from doing so other than using Photo Mode. Not even the treasures can improve that.

Once you reach
libertalia
exploration becomes amazing. So much pirate lore and a number of awesome character moments. The madagascar jeep section I agree that exploration felt pointless. The tighter exploration spaces where you are on foot felt far more dense in terms of potential interactive moments.

Favourite aspect of the game (especially later on): you can totally feel the love between Nate and Elena through the smallest things. Great motion-capture and performances.

Absolutely, it's really stunning

Only thing I found a bit strange was that Elena was licking or morphing her lips to the point it was a bit distracting to me, but technically even just being able to do that is superb

I think ND was trying to make her appear loving/invested by doing that, but was also showing off their technical skills with facial animation hahaha

Other than that I can't pick out anything that looked out of place, it looked simply remarkable

Also one really cool technical thing:

Did anyone notice that first how good the fire looks, but also that the fire burning from the torches would actually leave black marks on the low-roofs of the caverns?

There is a picture of it here, sorry for Nate's hand clipping XD

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133846393@N03/26890979011/in/datetaken/

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
My only negative is there weren't enough amazing action scenes like the E3 extended gameplay for example.

Oh how i wish there was more stuff like that in the game.

Still the game was incredible and i will replay it soon.

I'm also planning to buy the HD collection and replay all 3 games again, it's been a while.

I have played 7 hours and just reached Chapter 11.

I think I have another 10 hours judging by my pace.

Yep sounds about right.
My only negative is there weren't enough amazing action scenes like the E3 extended gameplay for example.

Oh how i wish there was more stuff like that in the game.

Still the game was incredible and i will replay it soon.

I'm also planning to buy the HD collection and replay all 3 games again, it's been a while.
It's very good.

Especially the improvements to 1 and 3 in terms of updates to the gameplay/aiming/shooting, and of course the 1080p60. Amazing games.

I think after finishing all of them 1 and 4 are my favourites, 4 being the best of those two for sure...

I just wish there was much more scenes like the E3 set piece. There were others of course, but I mean a whole moving chapter like that again or two would've been amazing.

Dundar

Just had my third crash of the game (error CE-etc). First 2 crashes were trying to open the treasure menu during a Chapter select replay. Third crash was after 2h of multiplayer, going back on the main manu and selecting "continue game" for the campaign without reaching the loading screen.
Should I worry my ps4 is kicking the bucket?

zsynqx

Favourite aspect of the game (especially later on): you can totally feel the love between Nate and Elena through the smallest things. Great motion-capture and performances.

It is probably one of the best portrayals of real life marriage ever in a video game. The fact that they managed to achieve this in a bombastic Indiana Jones esque adventure is pretty amazing.

Sn4ke_911

It's very good.

Especially the improvements to 1 and 3 in terms of updates to the gameplay/aiming/shooting, and of course the 1080p60. Amazing games.

I think after finishing all of them 1 and 4 are my favourites, 4 being the best of those two for sure...

Glad to hear the HD collection is good, will definitely play the remasters and not the original games.

I bought all 3 when they were released, finished and never touched them again.

But now i'm curious how it holds up to UC4, i loved UC2 and UC3, UC1 not so much but i want to replay that too, it's been so long since i played them my opinion might change.

People complained there was too much shooting and killing in prior games. Now there isn't enough. It just goes to show no game is ever perfect and honestly no matter how amazing a game is, people want more, more, more. No games perfect but this is the first game in a long time where I just wanted to stop playing and start over before I ever finished it.

I'm sure we'll see Chloe in the story DLC. It's gonna be
the job she's talking about in the note you can read when you're in the attic right after the job in Malaysia

(note: it's just an assumption and I didn't finish the game yet)

nib95

Banned
People complained there was too much shooting and killing in prior games. Now there isn't enough. It just goes to show no game is ever perfect and honestly no matter how amazing a game is, people want more, more, more. No games perfect but this is the first game in a long time where I just wanted to stop playing and start over before I ever finished it.

Imo they should have just added more enemy waves the harder the difficulty. As is they add a few additional enemies, and harder enemy types, but it's nothing too substantial. I'd have preferred Crushing have an entire additional wave or two of enemies, and Hard the same but to a lesser extent.

Nyx

And finished..! Took me over 18 hours.

Yep, this truly has been one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had.

Yes I felt that there were too many situations where a crate to climb on were needed and I also got lost several times not knowing where the next climb/rope/slope was.

But to be honest I feel like that is nitpicking. Cause this has been something that gaming is all about for me, a cinematic experience where I'm not just watching a great action adventure but I'm controlling it making it an even better experience than watching some movie.

Not trying to be cool or anything but I'm a gamer since the Pong-era and experiencing UC4 has truly been one of the highlights since then. Surely it has it's flaws but damn son, who freaking cares after playing this?

Best Uncharted, best cinematic action game, one of the best gaming experiences in 30+ years, in my humble opinion.

Oh and Naughty Dog? Thank you!
And please make a pirate game next.

Sn4ke_911

Gotta say i don't like too much combat and shooting in my Uncharted games. Everytime i saw some enemies i thought "oh god pls no", i just want to run around with Drake and explore and what makes an Uncharted game for me awesome are the "HOLY SHIT" moments where Nate is in a sinking ship and needs to get out, or the burning building in UC3 etc. this is when i love the Uncharted series the most.

Best example is the UC4 extended E3 gameplay demo. This was my absolute favorite part in the game.
I just wished there was more stuff like that in the game.

Slaythe

The crappy waves after waves design put off so many people though.

You get an idea of what that would be like in the latter chapters, and thank god they didn't do it.

They turned Uncharted into an actual action adventure game. Not a shooter with some adventure.

Some folks are disappointed, they can just play the multiplayer honestly. I feel like anything else would have completely hurt the narration and pacing they were going for.

They definitely pleased the wide majority with the adventure pacing.

I personally thank them for having the courage not to rely on action over and over like in the past.

Shin-chan

To be fair, I'm sure many people wishing for more gunfights enjoyed that aspect about the old games as well (I did) and it's also hard to compare because the combat in this game is head and shoulders above the previous ones.

I just wish they add a horde mode. That would satisfy me 100%. Or basically just an arcade encounter mode time attack thing there you need to dispatch the baddies quickly. Something like Arkhams challenge rooms.

Basically just some way I can get a quick fix of the combat without the long load times.

And I love the game. The story is the best in Uncharted, if not quite The Last of Us. The set pieces have great in scale (if a little short except the E3 one) so far. It's the best Uncharted yet and I can't wait to try out harder difficulties and go for the speed run trophy.

Top Bottom