• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

My guess is that the Story DLC will have more combat. Personally I feel like the platforming completely made up for it though. Just so damn good!

void666

Banned
Just mid-way around chapter 9 and so far the AI is pretty fucking stupid. I stealth kill a guy, leave his body on the ground, 2 other AI walk by it like it is not there and act like nothing happened. It is just weird when trying to be stealthy and taking guys out silently, that bodies strewn about are not making the AI aware that something might be up. Visuals, Story and pacing to me has been great, but the AI thing is bugging me and wish they had some decent AI in the game.

Sometimes they do notice the body. I think they need to step on it though. lol
I've seen it happen once.

It has the most blatant example of "Let's all split up and not talk to each other so nate can kill us"

Whilst i think the stealth was just basic trash, the enemies do all talk to each other, its actually pretty cool. You can interrupt them mid conversation to bait the conversation participants. One pair actually uses deodorant or something, giving you a chance to run past.

Hawk269

I dont like the stealth either.

It has the most blatant example of "Let's all split up and not talk to each other so nate can kill us"

LMAO. I did not think of it that way, but it is. It is just weird that a guy can detect your at night from a far distance, but does not care about a dead counter part laying at his feet and think nothing about it. Or when in tall grass where you are clearly visible and the AI can walk almost over you and not notice. I know what they were aiming for, but failed horribly at executing the stealth in the game. As soon as the AI sees a dead body, it should immediately trigger the alert symbol, which then they would of had to add a way to hide bodies, which would of been pretty cool. Imagine carrying a dude and dumping his body over the side of a railing into the ocean would of been a cool mechanic.

It is a small nit-pick, but since stealth seems to be a major option, it is executed so poorly that I am not sure how this was not something reviewers did not bring up. I mean, it is nothing that would of prevented me buying the game, hell, I went out and bought a PS4 Uncharted Bundle alone because of this game, but just something that I find off that is execute so badly, but not really discussed much.

I will be hitting those levels very soon and cannot wait to see them. Everyone that I have talked with have said those levels are absolutely incredible visually. I am taking my time, but have about 4 hours to play tonight so should get to those levels tonight. Can't wait!

You're in for an absolute treat. I honestly couldn't believe what I was seeing.

LowParry

Such a lovely game. Probably go through it again in a couple of weeks. Tomorrow, we go through hell. Mwahahaha! Nicely done Naughty Dog. You are geniuses and I really can't wait to see your next project.

Hawk269

What difficulty are you playing on?

The AI see bodies that I have killed all the time then search the area.

Ok. Now this gets interesting. I am playing on medium, whatever it is called. I wonder then if this is a difficulty type thing. If so, I am switching to hard. I am going to test it a little later tonight on hard to see if this is the case. If it is, then I think that is great as it is one of the things that is really odd to me.

I will be hitting those levels very soon and cannot wait to see them. Everyone that I have talked with have said those levels are absolutely incredible visually. I am taking my time, but have about 4 hours to play tonight so should get to those levels tonight. Can't wait!

It's mind bogglingly beautiful. This engine is ridiculous.

b0bbyJ03

I'm on chapter 8 and the grass and trees are blowing me away because I see almost zero aliasing. How the fuck do they do this. This is insane! They need to share this voodoo

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
LMAO. I did not think of it that way, but it is. It is just weird that a guy can detect your at night from a far distance, but does not care about a dead counter part laying at his feet and think nothing about it. Or when in tall grass where you are clearly visible and the AI can walk almost over you and not notice. I know what they were aiming for, but failed horribly at executing the stealth in the game. As soon as the AI sees a dead body, it should immediately trigger the alert symbol, which then they would of had to add a way to hide bodies, which would of been pretty cool. Imagine carrying a dude and dumping his body over the side of a railing into the ocean would of been a cool mechanic.

I think your interpretation of the stealth is wrong, but maybe it is the difficulty level you are playing it on. Moderate?

Enemies do react to bodies on Hard, they do trigger an alert when they find a body.

And saying that the enemies do not talk with each other is just wrong. You can not like the stealth, but it is not a failure on their part.

Ok. Now this gets interesting. I am playing on medium, whatever it is called. I wonder then if this is a difficulty type thing. If so, I am switching to hard. I am going to test it a little later tonight on hard to see if this is the case. If it is, then I think that is great as it is one of the things that is really odd to me.

I assume that is the reason.

Mifune

Mehmber
I thought stealth was extremely fun in this game. Not so difficult that you're hiding in the weeds for minutes at a time, not so easy that you can just neck-snap your way to victory.

I'm playing on hard, and the enemy AI has definitely detected and reacted to dead bodies.

Peff

They do see them, they just don't seem to think of it as much of a big deal, I guess because for the most part they are actively looking for you, not being surprised at an unknown killer on the loose. On Moderate if they see a dead body they'll go on yellow alert, but stop investigating after a short bit, which is probably the best for these specific mechanics.

Beat the game. Loved every second of it. If this is the last Uncharted, it has been a good series and been given a perfect farewell. Naughty dog just for making an outstanding game gonna buy 3 more copies and give it to some friends.

taoofjord

Just finished it! Loved it, the ending was great as everyone has said and my god the game is breathtakingly beautiful. I'm in awe at what they achieved. I'm hoping we some upgrades here and there for the PS4K just for the hell of it (LoD, cutscene lighting on characters in gameplay, higher res textures, etc)

I finished the game on moderate and they were detecting dead bodies, didn't happen too frequently though.

To me the AI seem great.

A enemy was coming from my right and Sam called it out to me/

This is the best part about the AI.

It's not the aggression from the enemies, which is stellar itself.

But the AI buddy system is AMAZING in this game. Their speech library is also incredible. The partners actually do call out enemies for you and even tell you where to look sometimes, fucking crazy.

Excellent AI, easily the best I've seen in any similar action game.

I'm at like 10.5 hours still slowly progressing and gawking at Chapter 12. This game might take me like 20 hours to finish at this rate smh

But with this much larger emphasis on downtime and climbing, I do find myself wishing the climbing and jumping mechanics were more involved and free form. I think making the player do a little more work looking for climbing points, decreasing magnetism, and including a manual reach + grab command would give the platforming more life and tension

Credits are rolling and what an amazing game. I can't wait to see what Naughty Dog is able to do next because this definitely raised the bar IMO. If this is the final one, I can't think of a better way to go out.

Karak

I test AI for reviews on all difficulty levels and enemies reacted to dead bodies on every level including explorer. If they are walking over them its a bug.

Im the only one that didnt like the opening but loved everything else?

The "boat in the storm" part isnt that graphically good/intense compared to other parts of the game, oh well Uncharted 2 opening spoiled me

Karak

Im the only one that didnt like the opening but loved everything else?

The "boat in the storm" part isnt that graphically good/intense compared to other parts of the game, oh well Uncharted 2 opening spoiled me

Wasn't that good. To me the true story starts at home. Especially if you understand narrative cycles the entire game has a couple going on and that area is great for starting the biggest one.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Characters and graphics are great. Gameplay has been pretty boring. Too much simple platforming that's almost impossible to fail at. Not a fan of the constant grenade spam in combat either, although it's not as bad as it was in UC3 (yet).

CHC

Do they ever say what city Chapter 1 takes place in? Boston? Philadelphia? Pittsburgh? I'm not that good at guessing but it looked East Coast.

But with this much larger emphasis on downtime and climbing, I do find myself wishing the climbing and jumping mechanics were more involved and free form. I think making the player do a little more work looking for climbing points, decreasing magnetism, and including a manual reach + grab command would give the platforming more life and tension

Definitely hear you on that. I feel like the gameplay of the original Tomb Raiders (while clunky) had so much potential that was never quite fully realized. Platforming is so automatic now, I wouldn't mind stuff like managing stamina and ledge grabbing manually. I mean, it's Uncharted so I think it's too late to add those elements, but a game with "realistic" climbing elements would be really welcome.

It's mind bogglingly beautiful. This engine is ridiculous.

Yes and after watching the DF video analysis, rather reluctantly due to how it was presented here with a summary that listed the negatives, I can't help but wonder why DF purposefully said "best .. on consoles" after a long series of graphical praise bullet points that simply don't ALL exist together in any other game, on any platform.

Running something at 4k and 120fps doesn't make it beautiful if the weather on plant simulation is lacking, the smoke doesn't include environment shadows, explosions under water don't light up the ocean when viewed from above, etc etc etc (a long list of effects). Along with the AA solution that "they hope other developers adopt".

Yep,
it's a trophy

Nope.

you can't beat here score there, at least I can't, I think it's impossible, you have to beat the score when you become the kid I believe (cassie)

i just tried it with Elena/Nate but it wasn't working, then I realized yea you need the extra life that is only available when you play as Cassie

Check your audio settings. Mine was 5.1 and I have just a TV, change to stereo and got the dialogue. With 5.1 the dialogue goes to the center channel.

Don't understand how it picked 5.1 by default but it did.
It's only happened in one cutscene so far. I'm not sure what was going on, cause the music was still playing.

Floody

Nope.

you can't beat here score there, at least I can't, I think it's impossible, you have to beat the score when you become the kid I believe (cassie)

i just tried it with Elena/Nate but it wasn't working, then I realized yea you need the extra life that is only available when you play as Cassie

I know, just don't want to say anything, due to that being a huge spoiler. Is it even possible to beat as Nate?

I can't remember the last time a game made me think "THIS GAME LOOKS SOOO GOOD" dozens and dozens of times. Unbelievable what ND have accomplished.

The PS4 is a very capable console, I just wish more games looked, and ran this good on it.

Just mid-way around chapter 9 and so far the AI is pretty fucking stupid. I stealth kill a guy, leave his body on the ground, 2 other AI walk by it like it is not there and act like nothing happened. It is just weird when trying to be stealthy and taking guys out silently, that bodies strewn about are not making the AI aware that something might be up. Visuals, Story and pacing to me has been great, but the AI thing is bugging me and wish they had some decent AI in the game.
play on hard mode. Game is too easy on the lower difficulties.

Top Bottom