• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Literally just got to the islands. This is insane. I feel like I've already played through an entire Uncharted game, and there's still a dozen chapters left.

What a game.

I'm at like 10.5 hours still slowly progressing and gawking at Chapter 12. This game might take me like 20 hours to finish at this rate smh

But with this much larger emphasis on downtime and climbing, I do find myself wishing the climbing and jumping mechanics were more involved and free form. I think making the player do a little more work looking for climbing points, decreasing magnetism, and including a manual reach + grab command would give the platforming more life and tension

Straley said something along the lines of there being a deeper, more complex climbing system they made...

But ultimately everything ND does is in service of its story and pacing. Probably the deeper mechanics made it harder or slower during the downtime more than testers liked.

BraXzy

Okay so on Chapter 10, partway through. I just explored and had the battle at
the tower with the drawbridge. There was at least two areas, one going under a tunnel in the mountain, the other up the hill on the opposite side (an explosion happened when I went near), that I missed. It won't let me go back the way I came.
Am I no longer able to explore those areas? :(

I know, just don't want to say anything, due to that being a huge spoiler. Is it even possible to beat as Nate?

It is, but it isn't possible to beat the high score as Nate, I did it without dying and collecting all but like 2 of the fruit and I was still almost 500 points below the high score.

SaganIsGOAT

I keep reading these posts about a rock solid framerate and honestly my game started tanking once the island missions started. I'm not sure if my ps4 is shitting the bed or not but I was actually kind of shocked at the amount of times my framerate dropped :/

Hmm did they take out the cool grenade throw back feature? That was the best thing about 3. Unless I've not gotten close enough to do it.

Also is anyone noticing scan lines on their characters?

zsynqx

Do they add more armored guys on the higher difficulties?

Hmm did they take out the cool grenade throw back feature? That was the best thing about 3. Unless I've not gotten close enough to do it.

Also is anyone noticing scan lines on their characters?

Yes and rightfully so. Encourages movement.

Floody

I keep reading these posts about a rock solid framerate and honestly my game started tanking once the island missions started. I'm not sure if my ps4 is shitting the bed or not but I was actually kind of shocked at the amount of times my framerate dropped :/

Frame rate was fine for me, I only noticed the frame rate dropping during an end game encounter, that had a lot of bodies, weapons and more in shallow water, but it was only brief.

Gosh people need to cool it with spoilers. People get your crap together (I won't tag the offense)!!

I just realized there is an encounter select option. Awesome! This is what I wanted for TLOU. I only wish there were incentives and points like the Arkham games. I would play the crap out of that. Maybe they could patch it in?

Astral Dog

also, damn @ Nadine, is she that badass or the other two just weak,dumb or old?

not only she beats Nate and Sammy one on two, but she also gives a lesson to Rafe AND gets out alive

not only she beats Nate and Sammy one on two, but she also gives a lesson to Rafe AND gets out alive

I just realised at the end that
nadine just leaves and is never seen again.. where's the justice in that?? maybe the DLC will shed some light.

The first one, she's a highly trained mercenary and also the leader of an army for hire, she wouldn't be able to command the respect of her men if she weren't a total badass.

The extent of Sam and Nates hand to hand combat knowledge is, "punch until they stop punching back."

Straley said something along the lines of there being a deeper, more complex climbing system they made...

But ultimately everything ND does is in service of its story and pacing. Probably the deeper mechanics made it harder or slower during the downtime more than testers liked.

Well climbing is a little deeper with the addition of the rope, the pitons (which I haven't gotten to yet), and the analog reaching system, but for the amount of climbing there is, I don't think that was enough. Like I said, I think a more free form style of platforming where every input needed more precision from the player would significantly beef up the platforming without necessarily adding any new mechanics. Having to manually reach + grab certain ledges, having to aim the rope hook when you're already hanging on a wall, more dead ends and multiple routes, having to actually balance Drake on beams, etc.

But don't get me wrong, I'm still enjoying myself.

Astral Dog

I just realised at the end that
nadine just leaves and is never seen again.. where's the justice in that?? maybe the DLC will shed some light.
i hope not :p, she deserves a happy ending after all she did, beat Drake and Sam, leave the treasure. go away,, she also lost most of her men :(
but then who knows what the dlc would be about

Natels

I'm having the same feeling I had with The Last of Us.

The story was so good that I don't feel like playing any other game.

Damn you Naughty Dog.

Griss

The good thing about starting pretty slow / mediocre is that you can ramp things up nicely. I'm at Chapter
and the last couple have been pretty damn good. The combat level designs are far, far superior in this game than past Uncharteds. Plenty of options, nice open spaces. Methods to get around quickly. I'm only playing on normal but I died a lot at first, until I learned to keep moving and really use the level. Stealth is a little undercooked but I'm not playing the game that way.

I got a bit burned out after a couple of chapters/hours straight so tried the mutliplayer. Ran into a weird bug. It wanted me to buy a brute in the intro, so I did, then it wanted me to buy another but I didn't have the cash. It wouldn't let me progress at all. I can't imagine it really wanted me to buy two so that must have been a bug. First one I've noticed.

Oh well, it's a sign to put the game down for now.

As for the story, it's still really just building up. I have my suspicions as to how it might turn out, but I guess I'll have to wait and see. I must say that while Sam is cool and all, I don't quite get the same enjoyment out of him and Nate as I did with Nate + Elena / Chloe in U2.
Sully
is still incredible though. Both the bad guys definitely need a bit more character development before I'll start caring about them, imo.

Fuck, this was the one spoiler I was looking to avoid... I hate knowing how close I am to the end.

Argh. Not your fault, I know most don't care about that kind of thing and you were asked, but still. Gah. Shame on me I've become a spoiler whiner.

Got to Chapter 14 earlier. Probably done playing for the night. After the very slow start, the game started to hit it's stride around Chapter 8. Chapters
and
are the standouts so far which is no surprise considering those were the levels we were already shown, but actually playing through them felt amazing.

Mechanically I'm not sure I'm feeling the big leap in the shooting. The gunplay feels a bit tighter, but it's really just expected sequel polish. The best addition gameplay-wise was the hook. I like what it adds to the traditional Uncharted auto-platforming.

I'm pretty indifferent about the
pike
. It works I guess, but somewhat annoying because it reminds of the recent Tomb Raider games which I really dislike. Tomb Raider overused this mechanic so much.

Also, sometimes the aiming feels slightly off. Not a big deal though. I can still get headshots off easily enough, but I haven't found the settings that feel "just right" yet. I think I prefer U2's battle arenas so far, but the game still has plenty of time to change my mind. I do appreciate the amount of ways that you have to tackle combat,
's big arena was masterful.

I didn't like the beginning platforming bit in
Felt like the game was wrestling away control from me. I get that it was trying to be 'cinematic', but that part wasn't done well.

For some reason, the
boxes
aren't bothering me as much as the planks in TLoU.

Quibbles aside this is a really good game. I'd put it in my top 5 this gen so far even without finishing it. Way better than U1&3 too. Going to need a couple more chapters on the level of the ones I previously mentioned to make me forget about the slow opening third though.

Kalentan

Fuck, this was the one spoiler I was looking to avoid... I hate knowing how close I am to the end.

Argh. Not your fault, I know most don't care about that kind of thing and you were asked, but still. Gah. Shame on me I've become a spoiler whiner.

Oh. Sorry. :(

Finished.
Epilogue was a lovely way to cap off the series

Overall my experience was extremely positive. Mechanically speaking this was the best Uncharted by a long shot and the focus on adventure as one of the main pillars appealed to my sensibilities. The chapter
where Nate and Sam first arrive at the island felt like a real treasure hunt and built to a great string of action later on

Pacing was a bit lopsided at times (
chapter after Elena finds Nate dragged on far too long
) and
the boss fight at the end, although visually engaging, was just a fancy qte in the end
, but those weren't enough to dampen the experience.

Also I was really happy with the story this time out. The relationship dynamics between the characters were all engrossing,
particularly Nate and Elena's, who's conflict I felt was the strongest part and had the most payoff emotionally
. Also this Uncharted was the best in terms of world building, with all the notes and optional dialogue making me actively interested in uncovering the central mystery
regarding the pirates and their treasure, all the while keeping it relatively grounded without resorting to any of the supernatural schlock I felt was always the weakest part of previous Uncharted stories

End of my rambling review, can't wait to see what they do with the story dlc.

She's the smartest one of everyone there really. She deserves to live.

i still wanted to see what she did after. Will she and drake ever meet again? did she regret leaving everything and wanna find some new treasure?

Another thing is all that treasure in the ship at the end.. i'm SURE they could've went back and recovered some..

leng jai

Not sure where DF got their "rock solid" 30fps from. Game dips pretty regularly especially amidst explosions with lots of particles effects. It's not an issue by any means considering the fidelity but you can notice it, definitely not locked 30fps.

Top Bottom