• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Apathy

I'm up to chapter
16 or 17
I forget, it's the one where Nate and
Elena can get away with the jeep after the second young nate flashback
. Still amazed at the detail of the game, the graphics are top notch and aside from From, no one else can make rubble look amazing like ND can.

The story is still great, the pulpy vibe, the summer blockbuster feel to it, love it

The traversal and climbing are just so fluid and fun to do, feels sooooo good. The exploring is fun too.

Set pieces I love, but I wish I had not seen the E3 demo, I think that would have been so much better for me if I had seen it first in game rather than on the stage. The second half of that section was crazy good (probably cause that part I didn't see 100x over).

The only bad part of the game for me is the combat. I dread going in to every combat arena. Holy shit do I hate the combat in this game. Still feels like I have to fight the controls taking cover or climbing while shooting. The stealth is half assed, the enemy AI when they haven't spotted you is dumb as fuck and when they have spotted you are like homing missiles straight to Nate no matter where he is. And it's always so many guys to deal with. The only chapter that did combat well was
and that's because there were less dudes to fight and small chunks split up.

Also, the companion AI is just dumb as fuck, rarely will it actually help on it's own, and even shooting at enemies it feels like they have a nerf gun (and they won't pick up anything better than a pistol). Feels like it's regressed from TLoU (as in, Ellie felt better than this, and felt helpful). Even when they fire at the enemies, the enemies don't focus them or aggro them, it just keeps coming after Nate.

Hand to hand combat is also a joke, press 1 button, can't block, you can roll (not useful) and press a different button to do your break away move.

In some ways the game is a culmination of everything they learned from the previous games in the series and TLoU, but in others it feels like a regression from really good things they did in TLoU. I had some hope that after that
jeep section with Elena, the fact you could get in and drive away from a fight and it ends
that it they had made a change, but that was followed up by the
elevator battle
which again suffers from everything I have a problem with. I would play a simple no combat (or at least minimal combat) exploration game from ND.

jmaine_ph

Jak II > every other ND game combined

What is it?
-Start a new save and transfer your treasures and stats over.

-Play through the prologue and once chapter 1 starts quit the game.

-Chapter select the epilogue and save it over the new save you just made before it starts.

-Play through it and it should pop during the beginning of the credits.

*make sure your only save is the one you have where you beat the game before you start all of this.

ZeroX03

Banned
-Start a new save and transfer your treasures and stats over.

-Play through the prologue and once chapter 1 starts quit the game.

-Chapter select the epilogue and save it over the new save you just made before it starts.

-Play through it and it should pop during the beginning of the credits.

*make sure your only save is the one you have where you beat the game before you start all of this.

Ah the same as the TLoU glitch that worked sporadically for NG+. It appears Naughty Dog's trophies aren't as polished as the other elements in their games! Looking at you conversations in TLoU.

Finished the game.

Really great game, would probably give it an 8 or an 8.5/10 overall. Set pieces were a little disappointing and I think some levels dragged on a little.

Absolutely beautiful game though.

jmaine_ph

Ah the same as the TLoU glitch that worked sporadically for NG+. It appears Naughty Dog's trophies aren't as polished as the other elements in their games! Looking at you conversations in TLoU.
Yea unless this is an homage to that trophy glitch lol

There's plenty of people out there who don't dig Jackman's work and have seen plenty of his movies. I'm of the opinion that his best work is with Matthew Vaughn and the rest is forgettable.

Well Matthew Vaughn directed "Kingsman: the Secret Service" and Henry Jackman composed the score to that as well and there's a ton of similar sounding tracks in "Uncharted 4"! My other favorites from Henry Jackman include "Big Hero 6" and "Wreck It Ralph" - which I found touches and nods of in this game's score also.

Xeteh

I just beat it, overall its pretty damn good. While this game wasn't as big of an offender as some of the previous games, some fights were kind of annoying late in the game. I really enjoyed it quite a bit.

Btw, Chapter 19 question
So am I an idiot or is there no way to avoid the mummies from exploding? It was driving me fucking insane.

jjonez18

TLOU>UC2>UC3>UC1

Halfway through (Just past Madagascar) UC4 and the multiplayer is just starting to click, but so far it's a step above UC1 and nearly on UC3's level. Just need a strong finish and it's my 3rd favorite of the HD Naughty Dog games. It would have to blow me away to topple UC2 or TLOU. Those games are on my GOAT list.

RDreamer

Kudos to everyone at Naughty Dog for creating this game and kudos to all the actors, as well as Henry Jackman for the "unbelievably fucking amazing soundtrack" that he composed for this magnum opus! (The fact that there's anyone out there that doesn't like this soundtrack, must not get to movies much, or even watch them at all).

What does this even mean? Why would you need to watch some other movies to appreciate this soundtrack? Either the soundtrack is good and fits/enhances the piece well or it maybe doesn't. Why would knowing unrelated media matter?

As it stands I think the soundtrack is good, but it's just good. TLOU and Uc1-3 were more than good. They were mind blowing and some were seminal works not just in this medium but in any medium.

leng jai

The sound mixing in this game definitely isn't as consistent as ND's previous efforts and glitchy as hell at the back end. There's quite a few sections where the game just seems to be missing sounds or having impacts mixed in way too soft.

The E3 demo section was the first wow moment for me.

I actually prefer the exploration and puzzles over the combat. I've given up on Stealth and am just Murdering everyone now.

Pejo

Finally made it back to where the very beginning of the game takes you, and forced to stop ):

The gf has been enjoying watching this game, hearing the banter, helping with puzzles and where to go, etc. She won't let me play it without her here. She especially loves it when
Nate gets in trouble with Elena, lol

What a great game though. I finally see what the evolution of the free form combat looks like. Swinging across a section of the map and landing on top of a dude, stealing his gun in the process, it just feels so good. I think the best level I've played so far with combat was the
Volcano part with the various towers.
Just so much freedom of combat.

Really can't wait to see where the story goes next.

Just finished. That Epilogue felt so forced. It was no doubt a good way to end the series. But come on, I was just rolling my eyes by the end. Could have been a lot better. Felt very disconnected to me for some reason.

Story actually was the weakest point.

Enjoyed everything else. Madagascar and last jungle levels are mind fucking blowing. Cut scenes are very well done too. Great job ND. Another master piece.

Thought the epilogue was great .
It also adds to this is the final game with drake and shows the characters growth .
As far as ranking goes UC4>UC2>TLOU>UC3>UC1

Coco line killed me

Where would you be without me?
At home, drinking some coco
what are you 5?
TELL ME you wouldn't want some coco right now
I mean.. yeah...

GOAT writers

Ascenion

Well Matthew Vaughn directed "Kingsman: the Secret Service" and Henry Jackman composed the score to that as well and there's a ton of similar sounding tracks in "Uncharted 4"! My other favorites from Henry Jackman include "Big Hero 6" and "Wreck It Ralph" - which I found touches and nods of in this game's score also.

This just makes Jackman sound like a worse James Horner. I should be able to tell you composed it, but it shouldn't be sounding like your previous work imo. Shows a lack of originality. Like I can tell Zimmer did interstellar, The Lion King and TDK but they don't sound similar enough to where I think they'd fit in the other films which is what I fell you are implying. Have a style yes, but don't borrow your old stuff.

Uncharted 4 > Uncharted 3 > Uncharted 2 > Uncharted 1 > Knack > Golden Abyss

Some days I love TLOU, other days I don't. I can't put it in any ranking.

dcelw540

Guys questions about the flashbacks

We learn how he gets his name Nathan Drake but does it explain the whole situation in Uncharted 3, where Sam is when Nathan meets Sully for the first time as a teenager? So far on chapter 17 and wasn't sure if I missed or not.

jett

D-Member
Guys questions about the flashbacks

We learn how he gets his name Nathan Drake but does it explain the whole situation in Uncharted 3, where Sam is when Nathan meets Sully for the first time as a teenager? So far on chapter 17 and wasn't sure if I missed or not.

UC4 retconned UC3 to a degree, since they retconned the existence of a Drake bro into the franchise.

Actually it reconned the entire franchise.
It's pretty clear in the PS3 trilogy that Drake truly believes he's a descendant of Francis Drake. Only an insane person would think that way, according to what was revealed in UC4.

Ratings? Ratings.

UC4 > TLOU > UC2 > UC1

I never played UC3 outside the very intro and the MP.

I need to play UC4 at least once more . . . maybe twice more before claiming anything with a dash of certainty (I've played all the games a couple times). But, I'm going to say TLoU, UC2, UC4, UC3, and UC1.

I'm honestly more torn on UC3 and UC1's placement than UC4's

Blobbers

For the last hour and a half I've been stuck in (late game spoilers)
Avery's Mansion fighting goons at the staircase.
Any tips besides gitting good? It's too much, man. First the big machine gun man and two snipers plus generic grunts, and then a second wave of 2-3 of those fast fuckers with machine guns plus more generic grunts.

Did other people have trouble with this area? Playing on crushing.

Wagram

You can really tell the devs didn't give a fuck about balancing on Chapter
. Shits as bad as the final stage of the Rambo game from a few years back. (crushing mode)

Any tips besides gitting good? It's too much, man. First the big machine gun man and two snipers plus generic grunts, and then a second wave of 2-3 of those fast fuckers with machine guns plus more generic grunts.

Glad i'm not the only one. lol

Elfstruck

Oh god, the part where Nate and Elena was
driving to New Devon and the music kicked in
really hit me. I couldn't help but keep thinking about all the things that they went through together. I'm not ready to say goodbye to these characters :(

Xeteh

Yeah, that fight and a couple a bit later are pretty unforgiving and I played on normal. With how aggressively enemy AI flanks and how fast Drake dies its just frustrating on several levels. Not sure how much I can help, I just grenade'd the big dude to get his helmet off and took him out, the snipers weren't super aggressive for me, or I was in the right spot.

Made it to Chapter 12 tonight & stopped. I'm going at a slower pace, but i'm I feel like playing the game in sections is actually really helping me maximize my enjoyment of it.

I don't wanna sit her & heap endless praise on this without having finished it. I am loving it though. Everything about it feels more evolved in very positive ways. Madagascar is literally one of my favorite 'levels' (if we can even call it that) of this generation.

To people complaining that there just aren't enough telegraphed waves of firefights thrown at me - I dunno, i'm thoroughly enjoying the shift to exploration, traversal, and non-cutscene narrative that they've mixed in. One of my biggest problems with UC3 was that it kept trying to one up its predecessor in way too obvious ways. This just feels like a natural & yet more grounded extension of what came before. Also, the puzzles are way better than they were in UC3.

Kalentan

Since I beat the game, I decided to check out the cel-shaded mode... Honestly? It looks really good! I wouldn't mind a game having that specific cel-shade style.

ZeroX03

Banned

Use everything on the big machine guy - killing him triggers a checkpoint on Hard, not sure about Crushing - use his gun while hugging the staircase, when it runs out of ammo get to the room where some of the enemies spawn and there's an indestructible table(?) you can use for cover. Enemies can't flank you there.

What sucks about harder difficulties is there's big areas you can't really navigate because you'll die too quickly. I imagine the game is a lot more fun on easier difficulties where things like rope kills are viable.

Crash Bandicoot >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Uncharted 4 > TLOU > Uncharted 2 = Uncharted 1 > Uncharted 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Daxter

Poor Daxter one might say, but he just ain't good enuf, sorry bruh.

CHC

Wow I didn't know the whole Crash thing was a main part of the game, definitely assumed that was missable / harder to find.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Holy sweet baby Jesus Chapter 20
ship graveyard
visuals!!!!!!!!!!!!

p8ylk.gif
p8ylk.gif
p8ylk.gif
p8ylk.gif

jmaine_ph

One of the hardest parts in the game. At some point I was able to get upstairs and get one of the brutes machine guns and that helped.

Since I beat the game, I decided to check out the cel-shaded mode... Honestly? It looks really good! I wouldn't mind a game having that specific cel-shade style.

It looks better than any cel-shaded game I've seen lawl.

I actually really like the negative filter personally, looks sweet.

Also big fan of the DOS/8-bit filter and the ASCII filter, those are amazing.

I'm not sure if this will help--I didn't play on crushing--but have you tried
running down the stairs to the first floor? That should buy you some time. Then you can run up top and clean out the sniper if needed.
Maybe.

I dunno

Top Bottom