• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

TimFL

This game has a fair amount of bloat/filler. It's disappointing, but I can't blame ND. Internet idiots put pressure on devs to make 15+ hour campaigns because apparently crap like chapter 21 increases the value of the product lolz.
That is my only gripe with the game.
"Let's just drive over that solid
rock bridge and we're ther... OH SNAP 30 MIN DETOUR INCOMING"
"This is it guys, we found the... map to the next place 50000 miles away"

I know Nate has always had bad luck with pathways going boom but they really went overkill in this one. The beautifully crafted locations were the only thing to make the detours acceptable.

I'm already starting to sweat thinking about the 6h speedrun trophy with all the goddamn detours and slowdown moments... game took me 15h to finish (I was exploring a lot though so there's that).

Regarding cheats, I read that you can now run auto-aim + cheats and weapon spawning on your first crushing playthrough without voiding the trophy... is this true? I went for a no auto-aim light playthrough to enjoy the story and to not get used to auto-aim for the eventual crushing playthrough. Auto-aim apparently doesn't even void the accuracy trophy.

I-hate-u

I am at chapter 12 right now, and I can definitely see how people are saying that the game is devoid of action (so far). I am okay with taking things slowly, but I enjoy combat in these games a lot, I wish there were more. The game is really fun when it allows it to be. I enjoyed the vertical-lity of the shooting parts of chapter
a lot.

The rope is great, but feels so limited and basically there to give the player a break from pressing up and x. Naughty Dog should have included two or three more traversal tools that can be applicable to the game's combat scenes.

Also, I don't get how people say this is the best TPS control wise. Have you guys played MGSV? Everything else sucks, but the shooting feel and controls of that game game is still un-rivaled. Narrative and writing in U4 shits on everything though, and so far into the game, the best of ND's work. I just wish they focus more on the gameplay part in their next project.

Chapter 11 is pretty great. First one where I've felt they struck a reasonable balance between combat, traversal, chatting, puzzling, and set pieces.

None of these elements are, by themselves, phenomenal, but they're all smooth enough that when used briefly in succession in an interesting level design they provide a fun ride.

Surprised by how sparse the combat is overall so far. I'm a fan of story driven, fairly linear games, but outside of combat everything in this game is semi-automated to the point I still generally don't feel as engaged as I'd like. Not every game needs a level up system, but in its absence I feel a need for meatier and more in depth mechanics to make me feel I'm playing more than watching.

Slaythe

Chapter 11 is pretty great. First one where I've felt they struck a reasonable balance between combat, traversal, chatting, puzzling, and set pieces.

None of these elements are, by themselves, phenomenal, but they're all smooth enough that when used briefly in succession in an interesting level design they provide a fun ride.

Surprised by how sparse the combat is overall so far. I'm a fan of story driven, fairly linear games, but outside of combat everything in this game is semi-automated to the point I still generally don't feel as engaged as I'd like. Not every game needs a level up system, but in its absence I feel a need for meatier and more in depth mechanics to make me feel I'm playing more than watching.

Chapter 11 isn't phenomenal ? That's a joke ?

Purdy

Quick question, is touch pad used for anything other than a single press? (I.e no left or right click or actual touch control?)

Read the sentence again, they're saying that chapter 11 as a whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.

Thank you, exactly so. And my disappointment so far is that this is the only chapter yet where I've felt that way.

But more generally, I could easily imagine some wouldn't find 11 "phenomenal," but say, rather just "pretty fun" or "a mix of great and not so great game design." Not sure why such an opinion would have to be assumed a "joke."

Finished the game earlier tonight, and welp, I don't really know how to feel.

Getting into the home stretch of this game now, I also don't know how I feel about it yet. I know which elements of it I like, and which ones I have an issue with, but as a whole it's like.....mannnn, I don't know. I'm deep into the final third, but it feels like the game still hasn't hit the gas and sustained that energy (ironic considering how much driving you do in this one). I honestly think I had more extended highs/rushes in my first playthrough of TLOU than UC4, which is kind of blowing my mind.

Just finished. Overall, a stunningly good game, with some excellent presentation and some fun gameplay. This is the first time I've really gotten into and enjoyed a post-PS2 Naughty Dog game, and I think the gunplay is why. It just feels more fluid and the different playstyles (stealth takedowns, cover shooting, platforming and shooting) all feel so much more refined. I also enjoyed the story and got invested in it
more so than I did for The Last of Us.
. The platforming was top-notch, and the driving as well as the more open-ended world were inspired additions. Asides from some audio clipping and animation glitches (which were quite rare), I really don't have that many major issues with it.

Best moment was Crash Bandicoot being in the game. I know it might be impossible, but a new Crash Bandicoot with Naughty Dog polish behind it would be GOAT material.

rdytoroll

Do you have to find all treasures in one playthrough or do they carry over to different playthroughs? Can you go back per chapter select and find them that way?

Skulldead

I hit Chapter 9 yesterday (had to redone chapter 8 2 time for a single freaking treasure ,funny its possible to rush the stage on about 15 min..). I think so far my only complain is.... I'm surprise to say this, but find treasure and explore thing.... is not really rewarding... you get bonus point, to get pretty useless thing. I don't know i would have take optional upgrade, or unlocking challenge, new gun... i don't know... something to give me the motivation to get them all. other then a trophy.. last of us make exploration a lot more valuable because of the survival element, less ammo on each pick. I know they are completely different game and genre, but still...

ColdPizza

Banned
I can't get over how good the game looks. There was one scene in which Sam looked completely real to me. The mocap is just league's beyond what I've ever experienced. Damn.

I hit Chapter 9 yesterday (had to redone chapter 8 2 time for a single freaking treasure ,funny its possible to rush the stage on about 15 min..). I think so far my only complain is.... I'm surprise to say this, but find treasure and explore thing.... is not really rewarding... you get bonus point, to get pretty useless thing. I don't know i would have take optional upgrade, or unlocking challenge, new gun... i don't know... something to give me the motivation to get them all. other then a trophy.. last of us make exploration a lot more valuable because of the survival element, less ammo on each pick. I know they are completely different game and genre, but still...

I feel...like...you haven't...played...the other Uncharted games........

Getting into the home stretch of this game now, I also don't know how I feel about it yet. I know which elements of it I like, and which ones I have an issue with, but as a whole it's like.....mannnn, I don't know. I'm deep into the final third, but it feels like the game still hasn't hit the gas and sustained that energy (ironic considering how much driving you do in this one). I honestly think I had more extended highs/rushes in my first playthrough of TLOU than UC4, which is kind of blowing my mind.

You aren't crazy. TLOU's pacing after Bill's Town/Pittsburgh runs circles around nearly the entirety of UC4's. UC4 starts slow and never really gets into gear. There are some fleeting spikes here and there, but most of the time, it just...is. And if we're being honest here, I'm really not sure I'm ok with it.

Again, it isn't just the lack of combat. I mean, I love plenty of games that are light on combat. But what fills the gap has to bear the load, and personally, I find it hard to really be engaged by the other stuff in UC4. Not that it was any different in past UCs - they just didn't emphasize those things to such an extreme degree. And why would they? Every game has weaknesses, and it's perfectly alright to mitigate those weaknesses and play to your strengths. The platforming is somewhat weak, so combine it with combat, or combine it with stealth, or make sure those sections are generally short to begin with. But, like, there's a not too short late game chapter that's basically 100% linear platforming, and not even particularly interesting linear platforming. Like at so many other points in the game, I had to stop and ask myself..."Why?".

I just can't remember the last time I walked away from a game so befuddled. It's like everything I know is a lie.

CHC

Goddamn the part where Drake is staring longingly at the infamous picture from the teaser trailer.... I could only think of GAF. Had no idea that would be featured so prominently.

I can't get over how good the game looks. There was one scene in which Sam looked completely real to me. The mocap is just league's beyond what I've ever experienced. Damn.

The crazy part is how it's not completely motion capture and is actually blended with hand crafted animation.

hydruxo

Beat the game last night and for me it's the best Uncharted game by a mile. I didn't play the first three until the NDC came out last year so I missed out on playing them during their prime, but by the time I played UC2 I didn't like it all that much. It was a good game, but it wasn't this incredible experience that I had always heard it was. On the flipside, UC4 was that incredible experience. From beginning to end I was enthralled in the story and the whole pirate treasure mystery was way more interesting than El Dorado/Shambhala/Iram. The presentation in this game is something that I don't think any dev will top for a long time. Maybe not until Naughty Dog's next game.

Only thing I really didn't care for is the combat, I didn't enjoy the encounters most of the time. The combat feels a bit aged and I'm just not a fan of it.

Overall I think TLOU is still ND's best game but UC4 is a close second. TLOU was the total package and I had a blast with the combat in that game, meanwhile I enjoyed everything but the combat in UC4. I enjoyed that the game was grounded in reality rather than trying to pull the supernatural bullshit that they did in the other games.

I can't wait to see how ND raises the bar next, because the leap they took between this and TLOU is really remarkable presentation-wise.

Well there goes the 94 on MC thanks to the Washington Post who scores it 4/10 ???? what a load of bollocks, reviews like that should be struck off MC.

Tizoc

Well there goes the 94 on MC thanks to the Washington Post who scores it 4/10 ???? what a load of bollocks, reviews like that should be struck off MC.

I dunno man, this far into the game, 4/10 sounds pretty fitting;
First chapters aren't that interesting
the shooting mechanics are meh, despite the situations in which the gun fights occur in
You get great looking areas that serve barely any purpose other than showing that Naughty Dog can do colorful graphics
It's dragging on way longer than it has any right to be
The whole jumping and climbing is so very same-y

I can see if anyone would give it a low score based on that. Which is a shame as THis game really should've just ditched the shooty banging altogether and just been a straight up adventure game with Rafe and Nadine being rivals with a smaller crew.
Really not liking all the shooting in this game.

And geez it was fine for the first few hours but it's like anytime Nate or Elena speak they HAVE to say something funny. This is getting lame.

Wagram

Finished it. I liked it quite a bit, even though it does at times feel a bit slow. I really have to urge people to stay away from Crushing on the first run. I did that all the way through and it was a nightmare in the last chapters. It's not challenging so much as it is torturous. Seriously, this mode on the first run will negatively impact your experience. Oddly enough I liked the parts that didn't feel like Uncharted the most.

Game really proves that other devs that complain about PS4 power are full of shit.

Moozo

Haha, it literally criticises the concept of video games as a whole:

“A Thief’s End” is overflowing with useless detail. It overwhelms the eye with so many different points of focus that one almost clings to the over-the-shoulder focal point at the center of the screen, where the gun reticle can at least hint at a potential ways of engaging with all of the simulated objects and effects that are otherwise impossible to identify, let alone differentiate.

Yeah this game has the slowest start I've ever played in a video game and I've played various games with 'slow starts'.

I don't think it does have a slow start.
The first part is clearly for new players to ease them into the controls involved with running jumping and cover.
Then there is a pretty intense and action packed flashback
At that point IMO the start is over with, even though the credits don't kick in until quite a bit later.

protonion

So was there a single bridge that didn't collapse upon crossing it?

I little bit sad about (plot spoilers)
Sam's lie. I waited for Alcazar to appear for a long time. There was potential with Rafe in there too...

JB1981

Yeah this game has the slowest start I've ever played in a video game and I've played various games with 'slow starts'.

It's the longest tutorial I've ever played. I get what they are going for by introducing the mechanics and setting up the story, and for a video game the storytelling is top-tier, but I wasn't expecting the first 3 chapters to move at such a leisurely pace.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Man I dont understand ND decisions in U4. After finally nailing whole shooting aspect they decided to reduce action parts and emphasis on shallow/ simple puzzles and platforming. Why?

TimFL

Patch incoming soon I guess. There's a glitch that allows you to unlock the speedrun trophy by just playing the first and last chapter.

I have an issue and can't seem to fix it: I want to do my crushing playthrough now with the accuracy trophy but I can't manage to reset my stats...? Statistics keeps showing me the bloated stats I have from my first casual playthrough. I read that you have to encounter select to reset them but it keeps going back to the old stats (free aim + spraying a lot killed my accuracy so no way I can boost that to 70%+ on crushing). Anyone any ideas? I don't want to pick up the treasures and conversations I already got again.

You aren't crazy. TLOU's pacing after Bill's Town/Pittsburgh runs circles around nearly the entirety of UC4's. UC4 starts slow and never really gets into gear. There are some fleeting spikes here and there, but most of the time, it just...is. And if we're being honest here, I'm really not sure I'm ok with it.

Again, it isn't just the lack of combat. I mean, I love plenty of games that are light on combat. But what fills the gap has to bear the load, and personally, I find it hard to really be engaged by the other stuff in UC4. Not that it was any different in past UCs - they just didn't emphasize those things to such an extreme degree. And why would they? Every game has weaknesses, and it's perfectly alright to mitigate those weaknesses and play to your strengths. The platforming is somewhat weak, so combine it with combat, or combine it with stealth, or make sure those sections are generally short to begin with. But, like, there's a not too short late game chapter that's basically 100% linear platforming, and not even particularly interesting linear platforming. Like at so many other points in the game, I had to stop and ask myself..."Why?".

I just can't remember the last time I walked away from a game so befuddled. It's like everything I know is a lie.

sigh

We'll pick this discussion up when I finish these last few chapters. I can't really express everything I want to without wrapping the game up first.

maverick40

Beat the game last night and for me it's the best Uncharted game by a mile. I didn't play the first three until the NDC came out last year so I missed out on playing them during their prime, but by the time I played UC2 I didn't like it all that much. It was a good game, but it wasn't this incredible experience that I had always heard it was. On the flipside, UC4 was that incredible experience. From beginning to end I was enthralled in the story and the whole pirate treasure mystery was way more interesting than El Dorado/Shambhala/Iram. The presentation in this game is something that I don't think any dev will top for a long time. Maybe not until Naughty Dog's next game.

Only thing I really didn't care for is the combat, I didn't enjoy the encounters most of the time. The combat feels a bit aged and I'm just not a fan of it.

Overall I think TLOU is still ND's best game but UC4 is a close second. TLOU was the total package and I had a blast with the combat in that game, meanwhile I enjoyed everything but the combat in UC4. I enjoyed that the game was grounded in reality rather than trying to pull the supernatural bullshit that they did in the other games.

I can't wait to see how ND raises the bar next, because the leap they took between this and TLOU is really remarkable presentation-wise.

You have to remember when uncharted 2 came out not a single game was like it.

Jeeze I'm surprised to see the beginning getting trashed. Maybe Im the only one who actually really enjoyed it lol

When the storytelling is this good I love a slow start. The beginning didn't bother me at all. But I also like really slow movies so maybe that factors in too.

SomTervo

Just finished it, took me about 12 hours on Light.

I enjoyed it but my initial skepticism of the game held true for the most part, for me it feels very been here done that.

That's the point, though?

1. Naughty Dog knew they couldn't keep this shit up forever and the series was already tiring itself out

2. Drake literally has "been there and done that". This is a core theme of the game. It's history repeating itself.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
This game is a goddamn masterpiece.

The perfect adventure game.

The breadth of exploration, spelunking, bantering, gawkimg at vistas and puzzles truly brings the Uncharted dream to life.

That and graphics... FFFFUCK

Top Bottom