• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Sydle

Chapters 7 and 8 feel a lot more like Uncharted to me and were fun. I'll just do my best to forget the preceding chapters.

Jennipeg

I think I must be terrible at this game because i'm finding the platforming quite interesting this time round. No more obvious yellow markers, and i've been puzzled about which direction to take more than once. Maybe I am not very good, but I hardly think it's brain dead.

G-Bus

Banned
Hit chapter 14 last night. Around 10 hours played time.

Really enjoying the platforming and traversel. Stealth is fun too. Try and take as many guys out before I start going in guns blazing. Really having a blast.

Going from ratchet and clank to this. Been an awesome couple weeks of gaming.

PepperedHam

Also my god did they knock it out of the park with the music in this game. The way it ramps up during combat encounters would get me so hyped up.

Dominator

Also my god did they knock it out of the park with the music in this game. The way it ramps up during combat encounters would get me so hyped up.
Yup, I think the music is fantastic. And I always liked how these games ended the music when all enemies were dead. You knew when you killed the last guy. A really nice touch.

leng jai

Really hope they patch the audio glitches in this game, it's ridiculously bad for a supposedly ultra polished game. Don't think I'll start my second play through until they do.

I think I must be terrible at this game because i'm finding the platforming quite interesting this time round. No more obvious yellow markers, and i've been puzzled about which direction to take more than once. Maybe I am not very good, but I hardly think it's brain dead.

Yeah I think the platforming is better in this as well. Like mechanically it's still simple and easy, but the additions of the rope, sliding, weightier animations, and more paths make it a more satisfying endeavor. Not only that but the designs of the climbing sections are more interesting than just "move up", and require a little thought, as they mix things up. Like I really enjoyed a lot of the platforming stuff early on in chapter 8 with all the progressively more dangerous sliding as you're making your way across the environment. I think it's a pretty creative and satisfying method of traversal.

My favorite bit of platforming in 1-3 was the ice caves in 2 and this game's platforming feels like an extension of that.

After completing the game last night, I am left with an empty feeling. The somber realization that there is no more Nathan Drake, no more Elena, no more Sully...

Nothing I can say that hasn't already been said about this masterpiece of a game. The ending was perfect and the epilogue was beautiful and brilliant.

What's next for Naughty Dog? Where do they go from here? It's like they dropped the fucking mic with this game.

Yeah I think the platforming is better in this as well. Like mechanically it's still simple and easy, but the additions of the rope, sliding, weightier animations, and more paths make it a more satisfying endeavor. Not only that but the designs of the climbing sections are more interesting than just "move up", and require a little thought, as they mix things up. Like I really enjoyed a lot of the platforming stuff early on in chapter 8 with all the progressively more dangerous sliding as you're making your way across the environment. I think it's a pretty creative and satisfying method of traversal.

My favorite bit of platforming in 1-3 was the ice caves in 2 and this game's platforming feels like an extension of that.

how far as you into the game fancy clown

UncleMeat

Did anyone else get the (ch.20 spoilers)
Crash Bandicoot reference
near the end? You know the one I mean, running into the screen jumping over those little brown gates. Classic.

Ya that definitely made me laugh. But I was grinning like an idiot for probably 75% of the game.

TechJunk

Damn that scene after the Jeep chase in the hotel room hit home. I'm not one to tear up at a game, but damn I came close. I get the conflict, doing what you want versus doing what you need to,

Neiteio

Part way through chapter 8 lol. I'm out of town until Monday so I've just been chewing over what I've played thus far.
I'm about as far as you. Platforming is a bit mindless so far (I hesitate to actually call it platforming -- skill-based Mario, this is not), but I really like using the sliding/slopes to zigzag around previous structures and reach new sides with new handholds. It's like the level design folds in on itself, which makes for some clever ways forward.

Finished. Will process my thought in a little bit. 29 treasure out of
? lol

I also gotta say a big fuck you to the poster who posted about the almost end chapter
avery pirate ship
. Really did diminish my enjoyment when I saw it. Just annoying and disrespectful to others on the forum. Pretty much spoiled the end of the game.

Loved it. Incredible incredible visuals. That said, I do think UC2>4 if only because it was so tightly focused and did everything UC4 did, but first. eg:
collapsing buildings, car chases etc

absolutely loved the connection that your brain makes when you
get chased by the armored truck to crash bandicoot

So I have not picked up the game yet. My goal is to get it this weekend.

But.. I was wondering about the jeep part of the game. Seeing as how I drive a jeep and cant wait to try this out in the game it has me wondering....

Is the segment something you can go back to? Do you drive the jeep for like 10 minutes and not see or use it any more? Is there some kind of GTA like playground to play with the jeep in? Are vehicles like the jeep in multiplayer?

I'm about as far as you. Platforming is a bit mindless so far (I hesitate to actually call it platforming -- skill-based Mario, this is not), but I really like using the sliding/slopes to zigzag around previous structures and reach new sides with new handholds. It's like the level design folds in on itself, which makes for some clever ways forward.

Yeah I think it's just a good way to make you feel connected to the environment, giving them a more tangible mechanical identity which I think is really important for an adventure game.

Yeah I think it's just a good way to make you feel connected to the environment, giving them a more tangible mechanical identity which I think is really important for an adventure game.

Yep, that's what every Uncharted game is. It's not the skill and timing based stuff of TR classic or TR trilogy from 6th/7th gen. Those actually were platforming games first and above all else. And definitely not like Mario. It's not trying to be that.

It's just about the ability to traverse the level and mess around with that movement without working too hard for it. It's more about the mobility and easy traversal than anything else, not specifically focusing on the act of traversal, but just being able to get from here to there easily.

Superflat

I don't think the "crate-to-solve-puzzle" is an interesting one (I find it to be the least inventive and most tedious way to solve obstacles) but I don't think it's used as many times as people make it out to be.

But, the fact that those moments do stick out in memory as momentum killers means that they could have done better with those segments.

The combat arenas are great for the most part and offer great platforming moments, but so far I'm also in the camp that there's not enough combat for me to get my bearings. I'm pretty sure I'm more than 3/4 into the game, and the combat hasn't really eased me in like the previous games. Usually at this point in UC2 and 3, I'm a high flying death machine, but in UC4 I'm getting murdered lol. Will see as I play more, but I haven't felt a gradual sense of escalation in difficulty with UC4 that I've felt with the others. I stealth for a bit, get caught and I just jump into the fray like any other Uncharted game, but I get slammed by bullets from all sides real quick.

A lot of the markers are pretty obvious most of the time, but there are areas where certain handholds/checkpoints are more hidden away/blended with the environment and I've enjoyed those a lot since it goes hand in hand with exploration. It's a element that TLOU used more than the previous UC games, and it works well here.

I personally can't agree with the comments about the climbing traversal being completely braindead or tedious. Climbing feels good to me.

re: combat.
I loved the combat in this. Played it on hard and didn't find it too hard although I died a fair few times but mostly because I played stupid. Had a blast in
the one area where you can dive into the water to reduce the alarm quickly
Some very clever combat mechanics with the rope, stealth in this one. Fun as. Never unfair.

re: climbing
not gonna lie. It did get a bit old (straight climbing segments) but when you're swinging and slamming round a corner and then sliding, it never got less entertaining

re: exploration.
One of the things I never really liked in uncharted was running around looking for treasures and in this one, the stages were/can be so big and I don't enjoy running around in circles combing the floor looking for treasures so it was a bit of a "too much of a good thing". That said, they added this much visual density and 3D world, and it all looks tremendous as is.

re: ending.
loved it. Felt sad and happy all at once
to see it wrap up. It does feel like its been concluded but I love these characters so much that I want to see them in another game.Epilogue was very cute with the daughter running around the house. Seeing the older Elena and Drake in the epilogue makes you think
"how many game studios will dare to do this with their franchise?"

btw, with all these new fangled tech? Can't wait to see what they do next. The visuals in UC4 were fucking amazing. fucccking amazing.

I think it is too, but I dont hold UC2 in as high esteem as some others. But I bet you a lot of people were expecting an UC2 style game, but with better graphics/better combat/sound design

and this game is definitely, defiantly, not that.

And a bunch of people just aren't gonna like that.

Like Im actually kinda impressed they got away with even making this game, cuz a LOT of people are gonna think its boring as shit.

This is why it would be my favorite Uncharted, even though my favorite setpieces from the game would stack up low compared to 2 or even 3. Upon reflecting on UC4, what will stay with me aside from that are the quiet and subtle moments we had with the characters. I also adored the score. The subdued nature of it was brought in at all the right moments at just the right times.

Just finished it....

wjcbLzR.gif

SomTervo

They could have designed more sensible places to put gun fights. There were not enough. Restraint of a damn good combat system is not a virtue.

That's the thing - it's a ying/yang issues.

On the one hand: I wanted more gunfights with my heart and soul. The gun play was so fantastic. I see that as a shortcoming of the game.

On the other: Watch a film like Heat or the French Connection or Reservoir Dogs or The Dark Knight. Action scenes only exist where they should exist. Uncharted 4 is a work of fiction primarily - albeit a thriller/adventure - so it shows complete integrity to the style/genre/work itself that they didn't shoehorn in combat where it didn't naturally feel right.

I'm sure they workshopped this a lot. There were probably stages in development where there were a lot more gunfights.

When it makes sense? Every time I get to a new area I pray I don't have to shooty bang some dumb mooks. Frag's sake they practically give away the combat areas with all the boxes and what have you that you can hide behind.

Uh, yes, when it makes sense. It only happens when it's realistic that some goons would be standing around/in the area. They don't force fights into every nook and cranny. There are only like 15 fights in the entire game.

The boxes thing is completely unavoidable with this sort of combat, and quite a few of the encounters don't have any boxes anyway.

You be hatin'

Laws00

ill post this again

I would like to know when Nate and Elena are playing
Crash Bandicoot
can you beat Elenas high score?

edit NVM i found out for myself lol

Stoze

I think this easily contains the best platforming segments in the series. Especially when you do stuff like going from sliding and jumping into hook into piton, etc. I'ts great. But so much of is still...not that, and even those things are still very generous in timing and precision.

That's not really what I have a problem with though, I expected it and that's how it is in the other UC games. The traversal is supposed to be streamlined, cinematic, and well...mindless. It's not supposed to be competing with actual 3D platforming. The problem I have is there's too much of it along with walking and exploring, with not enough different segments to break it up.

Vitor711

Anyone else having big FPS drops in the final 2/3 chapters? There's a chase sequence in particular that ends with RPG use that absolutely tanked performance. Honestly, it's weird to see any section of an Uncharted game chug like this. I know TLOU wasn't perfect in this regard but I remember the UC series always being consistent.

No rope?

6/10

spoiler for near the end of the game
scully, nate and elena push a cart, it starts to roll down the hill, nate climbs up - the other 2 are like how do we get up now? AND in that cutscene, nate has no rope so scully and elena leave. Cut to the very next bit once he jumps down the high way to go find sam, he has the rope.
Kinda lol

Hynad

Banned
I think that's the shot you get if you fail the rope swing after the bridge brakes under the car with Nate and Elena.

What a shame they left such a gorgeous scenery for when you fail/die.

On the other end, the last thing you see before dying is an awesome rainbow. xD

mrqs

I really don't like the Uncharted formula. I mean, Uncharted 4 is great, but combat and set pieces are kinda meaningless... It's just a visual "WOW" and this doesn't hold up through time. Characters and stories hold up through time, and Uncharted 4 has one that's better than most of those other games, so it's kinda fun.

But the moment to moment gameplay it's barebones, the rope in 4 was a great feature but gunplay in general doesn't have any progression. You do the same thing in the first hour and the same thing in the last hour.

The problem is that Uncharted was one of the first TPS of the last generation and Naughty Dog had to make a game around that, again. Not my kind of game, but i'm sure some people love it.

I liked The Last of Us better, it was more refreshing and deep. Not large set pieces that mean little to nothing, all has meaning and an why it was happening.

Damn that scene after the Jeep chase in the hotel room hit home. I'm not one to tear up at a game, but damn I came close. I get the conflict, doing what you want versus doing what you need to,

Especially in the last few days, I really connected with this theme. Do I attend to my responsibilities and commitments or do I sit on my ass for 3 days straight playing Uncharted and drinking beer? Of course, Nate's situation is a tad bit more respectable, but all the same, I felt for him

dralla

Guys guys i forgot to write DLC in my post. Sorry.

I hope the SP DLC is all out mayhem.

I don't think they'll have the budget to make the DLC all out action. Think of all the resources that goes into making those big action moments. I can't imagine we'd get that in the DLC

Top Bottom