• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
(end game spoilers)

I beat Elena's score as Cassie

giphy.gif

It was better than the first one at least.

But that's what it would look like, if a sheet of rain hits something. It just looks like a bunch of splashes.

I mean, I guess so? But the lighting (the splashes explode with light even when there's no light on them) and the consistency of the effect look a bit fake even if it's accurate.

Floody

Guys guys i forgot to write DLC in my post. Sorry.

I hope the SP DLC is all out mayhem.

I hope it has that set-piece that was apparently too hard for ND to finish on time. Also (don't click unless you've finished the game)
more Chloe, she deserves a send off goddammit!

Stoze

My thoughts on what they might do for DLC, story spoilers:

When Sam gets shot/captured by Rafe, we don't see him for another few chapters and he's escaping in a shootout. I'm guessing we would play as Sam there to fill in the gap like we did with Ellie in Left Behind. It would also get us more time with Nadine/Rafe.

When Sam gets shot/captured by Rafe, we don't see him for another few chapters and he's escaping in a shootout. I'm guessing we would play as Sam there to fill in the gap like we did with Ellie in Left Behind. It would also get us more time with Nadine/Rafe.

I'd actually like to see
Sam and Rafe tracking down the second cross. He mentions they spent 2 years doing that after leaving jail

But there's also the END OF GAME SPOILERS
Sam and Sully team up at the end that could do a lot of cool stuff with. I would hate for our first and only Uncharted DLC be something that we could have done without.

I'd actually like to see
Sam and Rafe tracking down the second cross. He mentions they spent 2 years doing that after leaving jail

Thats also a good one.

void666

Banned
I don't think they'll have the budget to make the DLC all out action. Think of all the resources that goes into making those big action moments. I can't imagine we'd get that in the DLC

Let me dream breh

I hope it has that set-piece that was apparently too hard for ND to finish on time. Also (don't click unless you've finished the game)
more Chloe, she deserves a send off goddammit!

Agree. I miss
her. I assumed everyone would be in this.

Jennipeg

I think this easily contains the best platforming segments in the series. Especially when you do stuff like going from sliding and jumping into hook into piton, etc. I'ts great. But so much of is still...not that, and even those things are still very generous in timing and precision.

That's not really what I have a problem with though, I expected it and that's how it is in the other UC games. The traversal is supposed to be streamlined, cinematic, and well...mindless. It's not supposed to be competing with actual 3D platforming. The problem I have is there's too much of it along with walking and exploring, with not enough different segments to break it up.

I think that's a fair complaint, I haven't finished the game yet, but so far i'm still really enjoying the platforming. It's better than the other 3 (I never had an issue with those to be honest) everything feels more tangible, which makes the environment feel more interactive, rather than just window dressing.

So, I have one huge gripe with Uncharted 4 so far. Basically, in that it treats Elena like crap. I've just started chapter 11.

I'll put this in spoiler tags just to be sure:

First off, the game treats Elena as an obstacle to Drake when it doesn't need to. As a result, the best character -- and the only major female lead -- in the Uncharted series is missing from half of the last game in the franchise.

I know this wasn't intentional, but it basically comes off like this: "Okay, so let's introduce another male character, and make him Drake's brother, that we made no reference to beforehand, and oh -- let's push Elena aside.

I don't understand why it couldn't have been Sully that's in trouble, and who has to pull Nate back into "the job" and Elena, caring about Sully, wants to come along too.

Yes, yes, blah blah blah, I know she shows up later in the game. But she's missing over half the game!

SMH, Naughty Dog. What were you thinking?

Just finished the game. As an Uncharted fan I couldn't have asked for a better send off. Bravo to Naughty Dog and Sony for making me feel the way I feel as these credits roll right now.

Onto the multiplayer and waiting for Overwatch.

Same here. Just finished and what a brilliant ending. My favourite uncharted game I think. I need a bit of time to let it all sink in but that's my stance right now.

JayB1920

Finished the game today. I'm not sure if I prefer this to Uncharted 2 or not. UC2 was more groundbreaking at the time and had more wow factor but the gameplay mechanics, writing, story, characters, and presentation are done better here. I also felt the game was more consistent in quality throughout but never quite reached the highs of UC2 for me. The game was also begging for another large scale platforming/puzzle area like the one in Chpt 11 where the platforming required some timing and momentum. In fact it could have used another puzzle in general in the last third of the game. All the puzzles are front-loaded just like in UC3. I also felt the epilogue was ultimately unnecessary (though I still I enjoyed it) and would have been happy with the game ending on the scene before.

Then there was the opening action scene. What was the point of using that as an opening? It would have been perfectly placed if they didn't just skip over it when you reach that point in the game later. The game was begging for a setpiece at that point but all that happens is you skip to the next chapter and have to do some more climbing and slow walking. It killed the pacing in that section when the rest of the game was paced so well.

I mean, I guess so? But the lighting (the splashes explode with light even when there's no light on them) and the consistency of the effect look a bit fake even if it's accurate.

Well, alright then. I'm not sure they can win with that one then.
So, I have one huge gripe with Uncharted 4 so far. Basically, in that it treats Elena like crap. I've just started chapter 11.

First off, the game treats Elena as an obstacle to Drake when it doesn't need to. As a result, the best character -- and the only major female lead -- in the Uncharted series is missing from half of the last game in the franchise.
You're on Chapter 11. Lol.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Finally finished this last night and can emerge from my year long blackout :D

Adored it. Will write up full impressions later. A perfect ending to one of my all time favorite series. I took about 750 screens LOL

I know this wasn't intentional, but it basically comes off like this: "Okay, so let's introduce another male character, and make him Drake's brother, that we made no reference to beforehand, and oh -- let's push Elena aside.

I don't understand why it couldn't have been Sully that's in trouble, and who has to pull Nate back into "the job" and Elena, caring about Sully, wants to come along too.

Yes, yes, blah blah blah, I know she shows up later in the game. But she's missing over half the game!

Finish the game

Mik2121

Finished the game tonight, Moderate with no hints and no auto-aim nor any other helping system. Took me 17 hours to finish it, and damn were those hours worth it!

The story was great, the locations amazing and the game itself was just so much fun to play!

I will! Doesn't change or invalidate my criticism, though.
Well... it kind of does? It's hard to criticize a game for those things when you've gone through just half of the game. As others said it, finish it.

Enjoying the game so far (barely in Chapter 5), but this is a different experience than what I was expecting. The tone is way different from all the other Uncharted games, much more serious (actually feels more similar to TLOU than Uncharted). I can’t imagine the airplane sequence from Uncharted 3 or the train setpiece from Uncharted 2 fitting into this game and feeling natural, for example. It’s still a great game, just different. I haven’t been paying attention to reviews or anything, so I’m not sure if this is a common opinion.

Though it’s been a bit of a slow start, there have been things that I’ve loved. The very beginning of the game, (Chapter 2-4 spoilers)
wandering through Nate’s attic and getting into a mock gun fight, Crash Bandicoot,
and perhaps my favorite moment so far (Chapter 4-5 spoilers),
Sam’s prison break. That was freaking awesome.

Looking forward to playing some more. I hope the traditional gunplay picks up soon, though. They’ve been drip-feeding it to us but I’m ready!

StoveOven

Banned

First off, finish the game. I think this game actually does a great job with Elena. Also, it would be out of character for Sully to come to Drake for help. That's not how their relationship works.

Jennipeg

Well, alright then. I'm not sure they can win with that one then.
You're on Chapter 11. Lol.

I'm not much further and I can't agree that the game treats her badly, or makes her an obstacle. It's quite clear that she is very supportive, and it's Nate's decision not to trust her to tell her. I don't know the reason yet but it isn't because she is holding him back.

Nothing specific in tags. Just tagging for the sensitive.

There's a lot in the last quarter of the game that's pretty much a direct response to lots of your criticisms there.

But she's missing from half the game! Where is she? Why am I halfway into the game and Elena is still at home? Why is she not with me? Why did ND shoehorn in Sam when it could've just stuck with the trio that has been with us from the first game?

You *really* need to progress further in the game before you start evaluating this stuff.

LiK

keep playing, my friend.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
But she's missing from half the game! Where is she? Why am I halfway into the game and Elena is still at home? Why is she not with me? Why did ND shoehorn in Sam when it could've just stuck with the trio that has been with us from the first game?

Well with how much Sam is involved in nearly every sequence of the game I don't really think he was shoe horned in. He's pretty damn integral to the whole thing.

JBwB

Just finished the game with 18 hours logged. That was one hell of a ride!

Man... What a way to conclude the series. That
Epilogue
in particular was pretty darn awesome. I was smiling throughout that whole sequence.

I will! Doesn't change or invalidate my criticism, though.

It does. Just finish the game.

Shoehorn?! Am I playing the same fucking game as you? Holy shit lol

dralla

Enjoying the game so far (barely in Chapter 5), but this is a different experience than what I was expecting. The tone is way different from all the other Uncharted games, much more serious (actually feels more similar to TLOU than Uncharted). I can’t imagine the airplane sequence from Uncharted 3 or the train setpiece from Uncharted 2 fitting into this game and feeling natural, for example. It’s still a great game, just different. I haven’t been paying attention to reviews or anything, so I’m not sure if this is a common opinion.

Though it’s been a bit of a slow start, there have been things that I’ve loved. The very beginning of the game, (Chapter 2-4 spoilers)
wandering through Nate’s attic and getting into a mock gun fight, Crash Bandicoot,

Looking forward to playing some more. I hope the traditional gunplay picks up soon, though. They’ve been drip-feeding it to us but I’m ready!

It's paced much more like TLOU. But you're still early in the game and haven't started the "main quest" yet. It picks up then but even still it never reaches the brisk pace of the previous games.

Why did ND shoehorn in Sam when it could've just stuck with the trio that has been with us from the first game?

Because they needed a strong motivation to get Drake back into action, to delve into his background and see where he got all his adventurous attitude, to shift the momentum of the plot about 2/3rds of the way in, to use him as a compare and contrast for Drake to bring him to the ultimate conclusion the whole Uncharted adventuring is dangerous and foolish.

And I really dont think "shoehorn" is the word, considering all the trouble they go to integrate him to the story. Not one, but TWO prison breaks. Not one but TWO flashbacks, etc...

Late Flag

I'm a little further along, but I feel the same way so far. I hope the combat picks up soon, because there's been very little so far.

It's paced much more like TLOU. But you're still early in the game and haven't started the "main quest" yet. It picks up then but even still it never reaches the brisk pace of the previous games.

Ah. Thanks.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Sully was gone for most of 2 and Elena wasn't in 3 much either. Lots of time is spent on Sam in this game in order to provide the player with a strong association with him since he wasn't in previous games. The core cast gets used quite a bit, game is much longer than the previous games, and all of them have great moments.

Elena is treated better in this game than any other one in the series.

icespide

Banned

seriously finish the game

Unknown?

I'm on CH 15 and so far this is by far my favorite Uncharted. The gunplay is far better, the platforming is better with sliding and roping and so on, it gives you way more options to tackle a gunfight, stealth is actually good now, and while the set pieces aren't as over the top I prefer them to the previous games.

This better not be the
plot twist people are talking about in Chapter 15...

Elena is always missing for half the game in this series (except for the first one). That's nothing new. And as others have said, you need to finish the game first before criticizing that. And suggesting taking out Sam is basically suggesting changing the whole story and point of the game, so there's that as well...

Adamastor

I just finished.

It was the perfect way to wrap up the series in my opinion, and that Epilogue gave me the feels. Well done Naughty Dog, well done!

Top Bottom