• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Why can't she be in the first half of the game?

I'd be less bothered by it if Sam had been made a woman, but, no, gotta add another male character...

oh my god haha

So you don't actually give a shit about Elena, you just want another female in the mix. Got it. Even though this story is about the relationship between Nate and his brother. A relationship which would have felt completely different with an older sister and changed the entirety of the game. But hey! The Librarian wants another female character...

Apparently Nadine is male too btw

I'd be less bothered by it if Sam had been made a woman, but, no, gotta add another male character...

Oh, so this is a female representation thing. If it had been Chloe, you'd be ok, but because its another white guy uggggggggggggh. You just didnt get what you wanted and refuse to come to terms with the story structure cuz Elena wasnt in the entire game(even though she hasn't been in the entire game since IDK, UC1)

ok

just finished ch.11 and come on
Nate! he was clearly in the wrong in his argument with Elana, I'm still puzzled why he didn't tell her after italy(or even better the beginning when he was first united with Sam) after all the shit they went through in uncharted 1-3 you'd think she'd be able to handle; "My brother whom I thought was dead was actually in prison for 15 years, broke out with the help of a crazed druglord who only freed him if he was able to find a lost pirate treasure' she probably would've let him go without any strain on their relationshp....sometimes I think he should've just went with Chloe....actually I always think of that!

Deku Tree

Lol glitch. Somehow spawned inside the
big car elevator with elena. Cant get back outside of it even by dying. Need to be outside of the elevator to fix it when it get's stuck. gotta restart the last checkpoint I guess...

what you're asking for is literally in the back half of the game if you would finish the damn thing

The last few chapters is not "the back half of the game"

BroBot

Nate's long lost sister, Samantha! Yes! Brilliant idea! Shame on Naughty Dog for not going with that!

There's always multiplayer if you want more Elena. You can even give her a mustache or bunny ears.

SomTervo

Man, thread moving fast - repost:

When it makes sense? Every time I get to a new area I pray I don't have to shooty bang some dumb mooks. Frag's sake they practically give away the combat areas with all the boxes and what have you that you can hide behind.

Uh, yes, when it makes sense. It only happens when it's realistic that some goons would be standing around/in the area. They don't force fights into every nook and cranny. There are only like 15 fights in the entire game.

The boxes thing is completely unavoidable with this sort of combat, and quite a few of the encounters don't have any boxes anyway.

You be hatin'

that's how they decided to write the story? why does she arbitrarily need to be in X portion of the game?
Because this is the last game in the franchise? And we don't have a female character to hang out with in her place?

I mean, I'd still be bothered by her being treated as an obstacle to Nate, but at least the situation would be better.

just finished ch.11 and come on
Nate! he was clearly in the wrong in his argument with Elana, I'm still puzzled why he didn't tell her after italy(or even better the beginning when he was first united with Sam) after all the shit they went through in uncharted 1-3 you'd think she'd be able to handle; "My brother whom I thought was dead was actually in prison for 15 years, broke out with the help of a crazed druglord who only freed him if he was able to find a lost pirate treasure' she probably would've let him go without any strain on their relationshp....sometimes I think he should've just went with Chloe....actually I always think of that!

Yet another "you need to finish the game" post.

One thing I don't understand is how Sam fits into the opening of Uncharted 3 where Nate meets Sully. Were the brothers still together at this point, because that intro makes it seem like Nate is completely alone in the world.

My shot at DLC:

We get to play the "job" Sully and Sam go after the end of the story. ND even could get Chloe to be part of it and have a romance with Sam. :p

icespide

Banned
Lol glitch. Somehow spawned inside the
big car elevator with elena. Cant get back outside of it even by dying. Need to be outside of the elevator to fix it when it get's stuck. gotta restart the last checkpoint I guess...

The last few chapters is not "the back half of the game"

she's still in a significant part of the game

You should see The Force Awakens spoiler threads.

Ah, I should've put two and two together. If only there was a female character who could fly/talk every language/fight off everybody/learn the Force in five minutes/lightsaber duel Sith Lords, then maybe Uncharted 4 would've been good

smh Naughty Dog

SomTervo

Because this is the last game in the franchise? And we don't have a female character to hang out with in her place?

I mean, I'd still be bothered by her being treated as an obstacle to Nate, but at least the situation would be better.

Come on, man.

Some of the chapters are multi-hours long.

The middle 10 chapters of the game are fucking huge.

Elena will be in it later and it gives them tons of fantastic screen time together. Like, hours. Probably as much as in Uncharted 1.

Fucking finish it first, man. Elena-fans were all singing the game's praises once they finished. Her absence early on is intentional. It's
because of Nate's decision to go treasure hunting again - and his shame about this, so he tries to leave/ignore her.

Jennipeg

In what way is she an obstacle for Nate? I'm not seeing it.

One thing I don't understand is how Sam fits into the opening of Uncharted 3 where Nate meets Sully. Were the brothers still together at this point, because that intro makes it seem like Nate is completely alone in the world.

That's one thing that I struggle with. They obviously have Sam written yet so it wasn't possible. But this change in backstory changes Nate and SUlly's relationship to where Sam is more like the father figure teaching him the ropes rather than Sully. Not saying I disagree with the change or hate it, it's just a retcon of UC3 and I don't like that.

People go on and on about how technically amazing this game is.

You know what would've been more astounding than these awesome graphics? Elena with you all the time! Or at least Nate's long-lost sister!

Oh, so you just want a female character to walk around with Nate. You view female characters as dispensable objects that just be switched around at a whim. Got it.

You know what would've been more astounding than these awesome graphics? Elena with you all the time! Or at least Nate's long-lost sister!

You certainly don't deserve the snark lol

SomTervo

My shot at DLC:

We get to play the "job" Sully and Sam go after the end of the story. ND even could get Chloe to be part of it and have a romance with Sam. :p

I don't think they'll go this way, but that last suggestion is a fucking great idea.

I think the
"what Sam did while separated from Nate - 2 years ago with Rafe and on Libertalia while being chased" will be how they handle it.
- edit: sorry if anyone read that before i spoilertagged

This will also allow for the whole "cutting back and forth between present day and near past" structure which worked really well in Left Behind. Adds a lot of variety during a far shorter timespan.

Troll-o-meter going off the charts

LiK

easily explained, imo.
remember that Sam takes jobs doing "work" so he might've left Nate alone for stretches of time
which would make sense during that time in UC3

I'm not sure how anyone can be miffed at the treatment of Elena after finishing this game.

"One, Elena needs to be stronger, femaler, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Elena's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Strong Female Character/Elena"? Three--"

SomTervo

That's one thing that I struggle with. They obviously have Sam written yet so it wasn't possible. But this change in backstory changes Nate and SUlly's relationship to where Sam is more like the father figure teaching him the ropes rather than Sully. Not saying I disagree with the change or hate it, it's just a retcon of UC3 and I don't like that.

I think they handled this OK. Remember that at the end of
Chapter 1/The Lure of Adventure, Sam says that he's going to be going away for a while for work
?

The suggestion is that Sam leaves Nate for prolonged periods throughout their lives together, and that during these periods, Nate probably does his own thing for a while. He's clearly very independent and very capable.

LiK

what is your obsession with having female companions only?

Oneself

I'm taking my sweet time. I'm now at Madagascar. God damn. It looks crazy. I mean, everything. And chapter 8 was a blast.

Since when is Uncharted a top tier stealth game? And the best Prince of Persia. And the most amazing 3rd person shooter?

I don't want this to end.

Chapter 1/The Lure of Adventure, Sam says that he's going to be going away for a while for work
?

The suggestion is that Sam leaves Nate for prolonged periods throughout their lives together, and that during these periods, Nate probably does his own thing for a while. He's clearly very independent and very capable.

And now that you think about it, when
Sam was asking Nate where he would like to go, his last suggestion was Brazil. Unless that's a coincidence.

oti

Banned
DLC will the Uncharted Extreme on a deserted island with everyone wearing bikinis/trunks playing volleyball. Duh.

?

Have you finished the game?
They suggest that that's not possible... at least not that job
My theory is that Sam was in prison at that time.

what is your obsession with having female companions only?

Don't have an obsession. An agenda, maybe. Would just like more female characters in game in general. Hence my disappointment with Elena being barely in the first half of the game at all and forced to pal around with only male characters.

Sami+

Sam wouldn't work as a sister. You're asking for a completely different game.

Don't have an obsession. An agenda, maybe. Would just like more female characters in game in general. Hence my disappointment with Elena being barely in the first half of the game at all and forced to pal around with only male characters.
I count 4 major male characters in this game, and 3 major female characters. Its fine to want fair representation in your games, but this is not one to complain about. Elena is better written than 99% of female characters. She steals every scene she's in.

Top Bottom