• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

The Lamp

Well, obviously.
talking about when she's an adult and follows her parent's interest in treasure hunting. Whether it's illegal or not is up to the devs/writers.

The sequels can be different and ND would be fine with it.

ENDING SPOILERS

that (illegal treasure hunting) would be awful. If she turns out to be as bad as her parents that would destroy what Naughty Dog was trying to conclude here. Ew.

LiK

ENDING SPOILERS

that would be awful. If she turns out to be as bad as her parents that would destroy what Naughty Dog was trying to conclude here. Ew.

It could be anything. People thought UC4 was a bad idea as well but look what happened. Also, the sequel won't happen until years later anyway. Nothing is sacred.

Hell, I wouldn't mind more intricate puzzles over any gunplay.

dmshaposv

Finished the game. Amazing restraint from ND to stay away from cliches that we expected and give a satisfying conclusion.

Rafe was the best uncharted villain, imo.

dmshaposv

Ending GRAPHICS related spoiler

anyone else had their jaw DROP when the camera panned to the daughter and dog?

Like holy shit I thought that was live action for a couple of seconds. Looked god damn photo realisitc.

icespide

Banned

Like holy shit I thought that was live action for a couple of seconds. Looked god damn photo realisitc.

I thought everything looked great except the dog. the dog stuck out real bad to me

Slixshot

Banned

Spoilers:

I don't know about graphics... but I was so happy :D I don't think I've ever teared up at a game so many times. What a way to wrap up a series.

Dont know if this has been answered but the
house we broke into, is that Eddy Raja's house? I remember reading a note and the writer was a grandma and she addressed the letter to "Eddie"

The Lamp

Spoilers:

I don't know about graphics... but I was so happy :D I don't think I've ever teared up at a game so many times. What a way to wrap up a series.
Ending spoilers

I was so angry that this was spoiled on GAF a couple of weeks ago by a drive by poster without spoiler tags. I had never even considered the daughter until I saw that spoiler

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Ending spoilers

I was so angry that this was spoiled on GAF a couple of weeks ago by a drive by poster without spoiler tags. I had never even considered the daughter until I saw that spoiler

Yeah, I feel bad for anyone that got spoiled that. The scene beforehand already felt like a goodbye too so I wasn't expecting it at all.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Hey so how many chapters are there total? Definitely feel like it's winding down. Spoiler tags for others please!`

Just finished the game, and I don't agree with it being a 10/10 personally, some thoughts:

The entire game felt a lot more serious and slower in pace, which in some ways was nice to break up the action. However, overall I felt the entire action of the game was toned down in weird ways; the fact you don't see the heavies with the miniguns brought out until the final hour kinda annoyed me, since you're otherwise only ever fighting standard spongey goons. The more serious moments also never really stuck with me personally and didn't feel much connection to Nathan. I enjoyed the setpieces but I hated the long sequences of climbing; I assumed this game would have more freeform climbing to make things more interesting but overall it was just the same tap X and point the analog stick in a direction to make Drake go along a linear path. I still enjoyed my time with it but I have no intention of ever going back unlike how I did with UC2. Overall I'd say with the Multiplayer included 8/10 is a fair score.

icespide

Banned
did anyone else think
in the chapter where elena finds you and she says that she has a ride, they were going to pull back and reveal a fucking jetski as a Uncharted 1 reference? haha I was dreading it

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
that was from Uncharted 3

I swear he said it during the amazon ruin in UC1

oh well

zing

did anyone else think
in the chapter where elena finds you and she says that she has a ride, they were going to pull back and reveal a fucking jetski as a Uncharted 1 reference? haha I was dreading it
I would have shut the game had this happened.

Random ending thought that has nothing to do with gameplay.
I dunno why, but it kinda rubbed me the wrong way that Nate & Elena's kid (Cassie?) called Sully and Sam by name instead of like Uncle or something. Maybe just after the 4 games I thought they would have a bit more "family" feel for the epilogue. Maybe it's just me being raised differently etc couldn't really not call my actual uncle or an older family friends "Uncle/Aunt" - feels disrespectful

Elitist1945

I dunno why, but it kinda rubbed me the wrong way that Nate & Elena's kid (Cassie?) called Sully and Sam by name instead of like Uncle or something. Maybe just after the 4 games I thought they would have a bit more "family" feel for the epilogue. Maybe it's just me being raised differently etc couldn't really not call my actual uncle or an older family friends "Uncle/Aunt" - feels disrespectful

This reminded me:
Did anyone else catch that Nate named his daughter after his mom?

McBryBry

Beat it last night. Teared up a little knowing this is the end for Nate's story. Hell, I'm doing it now just thinking about it lol.

Thoughts on characters:
I loved Sam, despite him lying. I took the lie fine because he wanted him and his brother to finally find their mother's legacy. I think the performances is what really drove him home. Troy did great, and the relationship between Sam and Nate was REALLY done well.

Nadine was a badass. I've heard some call her unnecessary but I think she is great in her role of being an ass kicker and making Rafe look like a week money tosser and nothing else. Rafe was a great villain, just chasing after wanting to be Nathan.

The core cast was as lovable as usual. I feel like Sully was a little underused, but Elena played her role well and I loved the relationship between her and Nate. Nate, as usual, was our lovable badass.

On the ending:
I love how open ended it is. Sure, Nate's adventures are over. But if Sony ever goes back, you not only have the lie to work with, but you could go on Sam/Sully adventures now. I think Sam could do really well as the next adventurer as he has the same drive Nate had.

I was really surprised nobody died. But I guess it's Uncharted and gotta get that happy ending! Happy enough to make me tear up lol.

Beautiful game. PS4's best.

Sapientas

Just finished it, awesome ending to the series. My favorite one now.
Combat and exploration felt a lot more fleshed out. The entire game feels very open, even during the linear climbing sections there are multiple paths but especially the
jeep and boat chapters
. It's interesting how much "The Last of Us" influenced the combat sections; stealth almost always is possible.
Strangely I had some trouble on Crushing during the the last chapters, and got destroyed repeatedly by that last boss.

Story related
I was pleasantly surprised no one died, that Epilogue sealing the deal. NG clearly set us up. I would love to play as Cassie in a future game but, like TLoU, that would go against the narrative and ending so I'd rather not.

Chase17

I didn't catch that one, but that's a great touch. It also took me a bit to figure out that
the dog "Vicky" is named after Sully.
There's an optional conversation that kind of jokes about that earlier in the game making it even better.

I got a couple of nieces and a nephew and i insist that they call me by name, having them call me uncle (or godfather, which i also am to them) feels too formal to me. I guess it depends on your upbringing and where you live. I don't call my own uncle by name though, heh.

SMG

Well, obviously.
talking about when she's an adult and follows her parent's interest in treasure hunting. Whether it's illegal or not is up to the devs/writers.

The sequels can be different and ND would be fine with it.

No more Darkes. Chole! Chole! Chole Chole!

Krooner

Just finished it, really great "ending" to a great series
Shame ND are done with the series, I really enjoyed the more open "exploration arenas" (sorry that's the best term I can come up with for them) I'd like to see that expanded on. Not big enough to get lost in but they felt like you were doing the actual exploring rather than being funnelled along.

I'm sure we'll see other adventures taking place in the gap they built into the ending. Wonder who'll be given the dev job? Although, I expect it's diminishing returns in regard to game quality from here on out.

After seeing the credits roll I noticed
no credit for Amy Hennig, they must have started over from scratch. I wonder what her version looked like...

sora87

Well, that's it, finished just now. What a freaking experience, ND truly are in a league of their own with this kinda stuff.
Terrible final boss
aside I loved every minute of it.

*FIST BUMP*
Absolutely the same feelings.

Ive written out a thank you note to post in the ND forums also here but I don't think I'll make its own thread. I'll be doing so probably this weekend.
Nice!! I actually wrote a really long mail to them and sent it to the 'Contact Us' mailbox at their website as soon as the end credits started to roll,hope someone there will actually read it :)

What a strange feeling,kind of emptiness..this characters have been with me for so long..I feel like I grew up and matured along with Nate all those years. I was 14 when Drake's fortune came out..now 23.

Setpiece spoilers:

The one thing that I'm kind of upset about is that they really did show the 'best' setpiece in the extended E3 video. Best is subjective, but it definitely seems like the one they put the most time and effort into. There were some other really good ones. But none quite as cool as that. Kind of surprised Naughty Dog would be the type of studio to spoil arguably the best moment in the game. It was still really fun to play, but would have been epic to not see it coming. Going blackout on a game wins again.

Top Bottom