• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

dmshaposv

Well, that's it, finished just now. What a freaking experience, ND truly are in a league of their own with this kinda stuff.
Terrible final boss
aside I loved every minute of it.

On the contrary I thought ENDING SPOILER
the last boss fight was better than a stupid arena fight, qte feat or whatever we've had before. It was a simple swordfighting mechanic that required timing and was visually striking!

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
At Chapter 15 after 19 hours impressions so far,

Earlier chapters quite short
until you hit chapter 8 but you get a good feel for the game by then
Hand to hand is much improved over the clunky version in UC3
Water effects could do with tech being improved here
Some framerate issue but 99% of the time 30fps
Those crates are like
UC1 exploding barrels -
really loathe how these are used. Why not some furniture instead given all the assets in the game
A.I feels much improved; more cleverer and to my frustration too ;)
Really varied locations (feels James Bond!)
Product placement is cool actually
Sometimes controls feel lethargic
Best visuals (including best AA), animation and sound on PS4 to date
Mind boggling number of assets in this game

Time to carry on playing

The chapters with
---------------------Elena
are so far the best. Amazing work. Also looks the best at those parts, and you can feel it in the frame rate.

sora87

I thought
the final boss was fantastic.

On the contrary I thought ENDING SPOILER
the last boss fight was better than a stupid arena fight, qte feat or whatever we've had before. It was a simple swordfighting mechanic that required timing and was visually striking!

Fair enough,
I hated how this mechanic was just sprung on you from nowhere, I resorted to Greg Miller's cheese strats anyway so got it done after a few frustrating attempts

Kureizu

Finished this today and I still can't believe how good this game is. My favorite Uncharted easily.

I also think the soundtrack is way better than in the previous Uncharted games.

Can't wait for The Last of Us 2 or whatever is coming next from Naughty Dog.

Just completed it an hour ago,don't click on spoiler unless you've already finished the game just to be sure.

I don't know,maybe my tastes have changed a lot since the third game or maybe I've never really liked Uncharted all that much to begin with but the game as a whole never reached the heights of TLOU for me.I've completed that game in 2 or 3 sittings while here I've had to force myself to keep playing at a few points,especially at the start (from chapter 1 till the end of
scotland
) where I was bored out of my mind.
It's a good thing I did though because I felt that the game gradually got better as it progressed (at least until
the old lady's mansion which could've been a 5 minute cutscene instead
).

I actually did something I never thought I'd do with an UC game and started playing multiplayer after the first 2-4 hours because there was barely any action (and managed to spoil a few locations in single player for myself,but eh). I kept thinking fuck ludonarrative dissonance if this is the alternative,especially if people are only bothered by this thing when it comes to killing and not when it comes to the 20 meter jumps.But I get it,the enemy wave system was ridiculous from a narrative standpoint and I suppose this was nice for people who like the UC traversing mechanics,they've greatly increased the size of the maps so you usually had more than one way to progress but at the end of the day for me it was still about pushing the stick in the direction of marked rocks and mashing the X button and wasn't what I'd call stimulating.

The last ND game I played was TLOU back in 13 and I played that on Hard with that batman hearing turned off and had an absolute blast with it on my first playthrough and I totally had a chance with some quick thinking,while here I was basically retrying the fights until I killed enough people so that I could leave cover for more than 2 seconds.Obviously the fights where I was ambushing the enemy didnt fall into this category due to stealth which was an alright mechanic but I really missed being able to throw those bricks and bottles. Someone said earlier they took out the option to throw the grenade back in order to force you to keep moving,but there are tons of enemies who will zoom in on your asscheeks from a mile away if its out of cover so I didn't have much of an incentive to move either, basically it felt the same as previous UC.

What I'm trying to say is that I wanted to experience that feeling of hopping from enemy to enemy rotating melee,shotguns,ropes makin it look like an action movie and I was stuck with gears of war,sticking to the one non-destructible cover until I thinned the enemy horde enough so I only had people shooting me from 2 directions instead of 5.I had all these new toys to play with but couldn't utilise any of em until the very last 2-3 people. Guess I really should've just given up the trophy for Hard difficulty and switched back down to normal for my first playthrough to experiment but this really soured me which isn't necessarily the game's fault but I seriously doubt I could've taken that much more punishment on normal and if I could then it's a shame that the harder difficulties completely neuter the flow of the game.

It's not all doom and gloom though,the environmental art is easily the best out there,nothing comes close to the
jungle
they've created for example.It's exactly how I've always wanted these in games to look like and why
MGS5 was such a huge disappointment for me among other reasons when it teased us with a jungle in those E3 vids and what we've got was basically the backyard of a mansion

The acting/animation was business as usual for ND,they're still at the top for me.
The story itself eh,I've never been a huge fan of adventure movies tbh,the darker TLOU was more up my alley but they did alright.I felt that the villains could've used a ton more screen time,especially Nadine.

One last thing that kinda bummed me out a bit was the fact that I couldn't change Nate's model after I beat the game,I'm guessing it would have meant tons more work to make the different skeletons work with the animations so thats why they didn't implement it like in 1 and 2 but I was seriously looking forward to my Nadine/Sully/Elena playthrough.

All in all I'd probably give it
/10 still though,I enjoy the mp at that sweet 60 fps.

dmshaposv

Fair enough,
I hated how this mechanic was just sprung on you from nowhere, I resorted to Greg Miller's cheese strats anyway so got it done after a few frustrating attempts

I know common knowledge in game design dictates that
a boss fight should be a test of what you've learned so throwing a new mechanic does thow you off guard.

That said,
we are on game number 4. We've done arena fights, QTE boss battles, platforming QTEs. So ND actually creating a boss fight that requires timing and input from player and the element of surprise in a completely new yet simple mechanic to learn - isnt so bad.

I know common knowledge in game design dictates that
a boss fight should be a test of what you've learned so throwing a new mechanic does thow you off guard.

That said,
we are on game number 4. We've done arena fights, QTE boss battles, platforming QTEs. So ND actually creating a boss fight that requires timing and input from player and the element of surprise in a completely new yet simple mechanic to learn - isnt so bad.

Just map the right and left attacks to the triggers

That isn't unreasonable, I don't think.

sigh

Nev

Banned
I just finished the game. The best way to put it would be saying it's the perfect Uncharted "fantasy". Naughty Dog really are on a league of their own for this type of game.

I enjoyed it a lot, thought the pace was absurdly well balanced and the combat was unbelievably well made; The trasversal gameplay is elevated to levels of incredible fun thanks to the much improved jumping and climbing mechanics and the rope. Everything is so damn smooth and awesome, stealth included.

It's like they took the shripwreck combat encounter from U3 and designed the combat around that, which couldn't been a better decision.

Story is everything I could've asked for and the game certainly is big (took me 18 hours).

Everything, really, everything is perfect except for one thing: the difficulty. Maybe it's that I'm not the target for these games anymore, but the platforming sections and puzzles are a joke. Listen I'm not asking for classic Tomb Raider platforming, I know that's unrealistic for such a huge franchise like this, but seriously, this is a joke. I was hoping they'd make it more open but they only added optional climbing paths which didn't add anything because they're dumb easy to traverse too.

It's a shame that they waste such magnificient gameplay with braindead platforming levels, especially because there are many of these in this game, which I would've loved if they were A BIT challenging. Right after you get to a new zone, button prompts are popping up everywhere, in case the poor players can't see the hook spot or the highlighted platform for themselves.

The platforming controls are god-tier in terms of responsiveness and animations, it sucks that they shine more in combat encounters and multiplayer and not in the goddamn platforming sections. Sigh.

And the puzzles range from easy to insulting. Again, the tools are there (physics engine that they never take advantage of unlike TR2013, the journal, the impressive design of the puzzles...) but for some reason they just won't make a somehow challenging puzzle. It's like they have a complex or something or are too scared to piss off the dudebro gamer who will get the game for the shooting.

This is true for the whole franchise but the game feels held down by the fear of frustrating players in anything but the combat (which again, is fantastic), and it'd be undoubtedly better if it had the balls to make hard platforming and puzzles.

That's my only gripe with the game: it's too fucking easy, combat aside (though I don't like how they basically got rid of tougher enemies until late game probably because of bad players who can't aim to the head shouting "bullet spongezzz!!").

But because that's more of a design decision (a bad one imo) than a flaw, I can't help but give it a 10/10 because the experience as a whole is absolutely mindblowing, satisfying and not dissapointing in the slightlest as the end of the saga. Because yeah, they're easy, but the execution is on par with the quality of the rest of the game. Sliding down slopes and swinging accross gorgeous vistas is great.

The game feels like a love letter through and through and the wait was definitely worth it. An incredible adventure, so many awesome moments and such a big, beautiful world to play in. And again, the biggest accomplishment of this game imo is the pacing. It'so incredibly balanced, exploring, puzzles and combat are distributed throughout an admiring pace, probably one of the best if not the best I've ever played.

Spoiler bonus:

I liked how
the latter half of the game is basically Uncharted 1, putting an end to it right like it started, in a pirate island. Oh and the Crash and Monkey Island references were incredible. The Crash " easter egg" is probably the best ever, I couldn't believe it.

I'm dissapointed that there's
no supernatural enemies
. Seriously wth? Thank you people who complained again I guess.

Btw, Rafe is best villain.

I heard you can still get the crushing trophy using cheats.

Sounds like a really fun way to play the game honestly.

Bullet time
Best gun
Infinite ammo

Yep, that's exactly what I did and got my crushing trophy and 70% trophy (aim lock helped lol) I only need one more trophy for U4 now and that's the speed run. I'm having fun in the MP for now though.

Wollan

I just finished the game. Here's my end statistics playing on moderate: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CiXhaKJWEAEgS0j.jpg:large

I have to gather my thoughts over the next day but my immediate impressions are:
  • Naughty Dog are crazy skilled on every single front. Camera, Graphics, Combat & Sandbox, Art, continuous Narrative experience... each of these disciplines deserve to be recognized individually. The whole package is extremely cohesively polished.
  • The ending was perfect. That's how you finish things.
  • Moreso than any other game I felt guilty for 'breezing' past *amazing* art & level design. The budget for this game must have been astronomical.
  • The combat with all options and character mobility... it's the benchmark to strive for.
  • Climbing is really well done this time and enjoyable and animations overall was another new benchmark.
  • Climbing used too much though together with box puzzle. 4/5 of the game was traversal. I suggest a bit less on-foot traversal or fatten the core game-loop a bit (I feel TLOU was better in this regard with it's scavenging, upgrades etc).
  • Driving and boating is great open-world fun. The winch and muddy-hill-climbing lifted it even further. The boating and diving combo was very adventurous.
  • The complexity of interactions and ever-ongoing-narrative is *mindblowing* to me.
  • This is the best Uncharted, even considering time of release.

dmshaposv

A little bit of why Rafe is an awesome villan (design wise):

So much thought has been put into the design of his character.

He comes from a privelged background so obvs he would know swordfighting/fencing and would gloat like the rich little shit he is.

He doesnt tower over the brothers drake (is shorter than them) so it seems like he isnt physically imposing as villan but rather his strengths lie in him being a rich shit.

He doesnt have a shit eating grin, or does anything ridiculous over the top. Thank fuck for no supernatural twist around him. The fact he kills the prison warden so easily makes him very dangerous and volatile.

The way he relishes when he reveals sam's lie.

He actually seems like a smart guy but with issue related to pride, self worth and being damn relentless.

He is more of talker than the previous villains, so the dialogue he has is very well written. He seems more a dangerous person than any hulking physical imposing merc (like lazarvich).

His perfectly gelled hair coming undone in the final boss fight really shows the charcter has gone off rails

The Lamp

He comes from a privelged background so obvs he would know swordfighting/fencing and would gloat like the rich little shit he is.

He doesnt tower over the brothers drake (is shorter than them) so it seems like he isnt physically imposing as villan but rather his strengths lie in him being a rich shit.

He doesnt have a shit eating grin, or does anything ridiculous over the top. Thank fuck for no supernatural twist around him.

He actually seems like a smart guy but with issue related to pride, self worth and being damn relentless.

He is more of talker than the previous villains, so the dialogue he has is very well written. He seems more a dangerous person than any hulking physical imposing merc (like lazarvich).

Yes yes and yes. I love him. I use him all the time in multiplayer lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just finished. What a great game.

Piling all my thoughts into this one post which I've been building up as I think of things. Have avoided the OT entirely until I finished the game, just in case.

Animations in cutscenes are insane - the subtlety in the scene at home with Nate and Elena was fantastic. Bonus points for the scene around the
founders table when else a is watching Nate and how excited he is to be witnessing that scene
it shows a lot of faith in your animation system to put across emotion in literally one look. Just sublime.
the initial scenes with
little drake
felt like a mixed bag. Location was super detailed and atmospheric, but the switch from cutscene model to gameplay was jarring with t looking like they went to almost no, or really flat, lighting. That continued for most of that section so I was a little worried, but it improved a lot after that.

Drake in an unbuttoned shirt hanging from a wall was great. I think I have a man crush..
Crash Bandicoot
is literally nuts, combined with the odd meta commentary alongside it. I like how that gets referenced back later with the motorbike/armoured truck chase we've seen in the trailers.

Loved the vehicle segment
rock crawling - uncharted in a car!
also apparently sully gets his cars from GAF car rentals ;)

Fighting in general is a big step up. The open environments, combined with the way you can approach encampments from a distance and choose how to engage is refreshing - reminded me a bit of original crysis. Stealth is generally well done and quite forgiving.

Negatives (none of which were major):
I know ND like their triangle mashing but it feels too strict in this game. Even early on when it it first introduced to break free from grabs, you need to press it too quickly - I usually try and tap with my thumb but now I'm finding myself taking my hand off to tap faster with my finger. Just a bit annoying

As ever, the game suffers from 'droopy the dog' syndrome - that is, no matter how fast our heroes move forward through the world, and even though they are the first to find and figure out the clues - the bad guys always seem to get there first, along with their generators and lights. I don't know how you'd design around that though - and it is a bit less of an issue in this incarnation.

Appreciate finer grained options around aim assist etc but I do find on default (moderate) the aiming movement is a bit abrupt. Slower movement with small stick input would be better. Even better would have been some gyro assist to go with the gross aiming on the right stick. And the cursor position seems above the centre line when you pop out of cover, making it difficult to preaim.

Climbing is lovely and fluid, and just feels more natural than previous instalments. But the camera too often sits low down, so you can't see where your hand is going. You can nudge it up but you have to do it all the time, so it feels odd they didn't tweak that. The new rope mechanic I'm undecided about. Feels a bit too shoehorned in in some places. But when you manage to pull off a huge swing ending in a knockout blow to an enemy it feels pretty badass. With much larger environments I wonder if finding all the treasures will be frustrating? Definitely enough variety in the locations for another play through to find out.

Couple of instances where you get frustrated with the fighting. Eg with the
car elevator
you get to a point with both a sniper and rocket launcher guy piling things on, and limited places to go. As usual with uncharted I pecked away at one from miles away with a pistol and then I carried on with what I think the game wanted me to do
climbing the pillars to get to close the distance
but that one ledge seemed to be a bottleneck.

Random thought. Worried about when Drake was standing in the elevator
with elena, asking why she came back for me, and the whole 'better or worse' marriage vows. Then she says we can talk about it later and we drive up a beautiful hill with solemn piano music playing and the sound effects muted. They'd better not be setting her up to be killed. Especially annoying so considering how invincible they are during gunfights - plot armour, I know.
outcome

BroBot

Having played both games back to back, this game blows
Rise of the Tomb Raider
out of the water in nearly every aspect. Especially the story. Glad I decided to play this game after that one. Multiplayer is a blast. #TeamChloe.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?

He doesnt have a shit eating grin, or does anything ridiculous over the top. Thank fuck for no supernatural twist around him. The fact he kills the prison warden so easily makes him very dangerous and volatile.

It's funny because
his design always made me see him as somewhat of a "nega-Drake" and then it totally makes sense given what he says during the final boss fight

Piling all my thoughts into this one post which I've been building up as I think of things. Have avoided the OT entirely until I finished the game, just in case.

Animations in cutscenes are insane - the subtlety in the scene at home with Nate and Elena was fantastic. Bonus points for the scene around the
founders table when else a is watching Nate and how excited he is to be witnessing that scene
it shows a lot of faith in your animation system to put across emotion in literally one look. Just sublime.
the initial scenes with
little drake
felt like a mixed bag. Location was super detailed and atmospheric, but the switch from cutscene model to gameplay was jarring with t looking like they went to almost no, or really flat, lighting. That continued for most of that section so I was a little worried, but it improved a lot after that.

Drake in an unbuttoned shirt hanging from a wall was great. I think I have a man crush..
Crash Bandicoot
is literally nuts, combined with the odd meta commentary alongside it. I like how that gets referenced back later with the motorbike/armoured truck chase we've seen in the trailers.

Fighting in general is a big step up. The open environments, combined with the way you can approach encampments from a distance and choose how to engage is refreshing - reminded me a bit of original crysis. Stealth is generally well done and quite forgiving.

I know ND like their triangle mashing but it feels too strict in this game. Even early on when it it first introduced to break free from grabs, you need to press it too quickly - I usually try and tap with my thumb but now I'm finding myself taking my hand off to tap faster with my finger. Just a bit annoying

As ever, the game suffers from 'droopy the dog' syndrome - that is, no matter how fast our heroes move forward through the world, and even though they are the first to find and figure out the clues - the bad guys always seem to get there first, along with their generators and lights. I don't know how you'd design around that though - and it is a bit less of an issue in this incarnation.

Appreciate finer grained options around aim assist etc but I do find on default (moderate) the aiming movement is a bit abrupt. Slower movement with small stick input would be better. Even better would have been some gyro assist to go with the gross aiming on the right stick. And the cursor position seems above the centre line when you pop out of cover, making it difficult to preaim.

Climbing is lovely and fluid, and just feels more natural than previous instalments. But the camera too often sits low down, so you can't see where your hand is going. You can nudge it up but you have to do it all the time, so it feels odd they didn't tweak that. The new rope mechanic I'm undecided about. Feels a bit too shoehorned in in some places. But when you manage to pull off a huge swing ending in a knockout blow to an enemy it feels pretty badass. With much larger environments I wonder if finding all the treasures will be frustrating? Definitely enough variety in the locations for another play through to find out.

car elevator
you get to a point with both a sniper and rocket launcher guy piling things on, and limited places to go. As usual with uncharted I pecked away at one from miles away with a pistol and then I carried on with what I think the game wanted me to do

with elena, asking why she came back for me, and the whole 'better or worse' marriage vows. Then she says we can talk about it later and we drive up a beautiful hill with solemn piano music playing and the sound effects muted. They'd better not be setting her up to be killed. Especially annoying so considering how invincible they are during gunfights - plot armour, I know.
outcome

Could've sworn someone said their's a option to have mashing triangle to holding instead.
I haven't checked it yet though.

MMarston

Could've sworn someone said their's a option to have mashing triangle to holding instead.
I haven't checked it yet though.

It's in the options menu. Even asks you in the first time startup setup but it's easy to miss

I went for tapping anyway given that I've dealt 3 games worth of it already.

The Lamp

the initial scenes with
little drake

Crash Bandicoot

car elevator

outcome

What did you finish? Judging by your last paragraph, certainly not the game.

Blobbers

OH.MY.GOD

Has anyone here beaten the (late game spoilers)
Ship Graveyard
on crushing? Please tell me your secrets. This is literally impossible. It's like a level made for swinging around and getting at your enemies from different angles. But you can't play like that on crushing, you get insta-killed in a sec. All the covers are breakable, the snipers are far away and the only way to get to them is through the army of guys that are below, because lol no swinging for you.

And if by some miracle I manage to get down there and survive for a while, the second wave throws 2(TWO) big machine gun guys at you.

And if you die to the second wave which you will, there's no checkpoint. Gotta start all over. And I have almost no ammo in the beginning either. Just 18 uzi ammo and 14 golden assault rifle.

Please tell me this is the
last major fight in the game at least.

TripOpt55

I finished it this afternoon. What a masterpiece this was. Among my very favorite gaming experiences of all-time. I think I'd rank it ahead of TLOU and Uncharted 2 (definitely ahead of UC1 and 3), but probably need some time to think about it and maybe a replay to confirm this. I tend to not see clearly right after I play something.

It was a really emotional experience for me. I guess knowing it was the end for this cast of characters (my favorite in gaming) made it a really unique experience for me. I'm drained, but I loved how it all ended. And every Nate-Elena scene just hit me so hard.

I'll post some more in-depth impressions when I can gather my thoughts better. Really thrilled with how this game turned out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's in the options menu. Even asks you in the first time startup setup but it's easy to miss

I went for tapping anyway given that I've dealt 3 games worth of it already.

Yeah I saw that, but that felt too easy. I want to tap but not that much. Maybe odd but tapping works as an analog for those actions. Oh well my thumb will recover

MMarston

Weird... I don't see a cutscene viewer under Bonuses. Does the game not have one?

Nein.

Might have something with the fact that all(most?) of them are real-time rendered now, though that never stopped Capcom for the recent REs.

dmshaposv

OH.MY.GOD

Has anyone here beaten the (late game spoilers)
Ship Graveyard
on crushing? Please tell me your secrets. This is literally impossible. It's like a level made for swinging around and getting at your enemies from different angles. But you can't play like that on crushing, you get insta-killed in a sec. All the covers are breakable, the snipers are far away and the only way to get to them is through the army of guys that are below, because lol no swinging for you.

And if by some miracle I manage to get down there and survive for a while, the second wave throws 2(TWO) big machine gun guys at you.

And if you die to the second wave which you will, there's no checkpoint. Gotta start all over. And I have almost no ammo in the beginning either. Just 18 uzi ammo and 14 golden assault rifle.

Please tell me this is the
last major fight in the game at least.

My biggest problem are the difficulty spikes regarding arena battles.

As someone who played it on normal/moderate - i find everything a cakewalk till
that graveyard fight that I kept dying because of being shot from every corner amidst torn down cover.

Slixshot

Banned
Fair enough,

i liked it, personally. But i would be lying if I said that he didn't beat the shit out of me 5+ times

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Nein.

Might have something with the fact that all(most?) of them are real-time rendered now, though that never stopped Capcom for the recent REs.

No cutscene viewer for such amazing cutscenes?

pre-order canceled.

NateTheSaint

Neo Member
Got two copies of the game from different retailers, played and completed one of them. Gave the wrong one to my mate and now my save game doesn't match the CUSA number on the disc I have (CUSA-00917 EU) so my save game is void :(

Would anyone be kind enough to copy their completed save game for me?

I would love if they had made an alternate ending as a bit of a joke. Linking Uncharted to Last of Us with the outbreak occurring... cut to black

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Why is ND so incompetent and can't make a 50 hour game?

The game was sooo good, 15 hours was way too short. :/

His perfectly gelled hair coming undone in the final boss fight really shows the charcter has gone off rails

The thing I love most about Rafe besides all that stuff you mentioned was how character motivation is in direct contrast with Nadine but also shows a real good contrast with Drake as well. He's incredibly rich, but he feels its unearned. He's has the arrogance of an aristocrat, and you can tell he's never had anybody say no to him before. He's got an unhealthy obsession with finding this treasure, because he believes this will prove him worthy. He hates the idea of needing the Drakes to help him, not just because of their relatively lowly status of thieves and nobodies, but because its just one more thing he's being handed. One more thing people can say he didn't accomplish on his own. He's never looked more hurt than when Nadine calls him out on needing the Drakes.

He's tragic in a way, cuz he has this huge chip on his shoulder and this unhealthy obsession based on nothing but his own ego. His arc is a good compliment to the game's ultimate realization that this whole adventure thing is dangerous and silly, and we have nothing to prove to anybody.

It also helps that his performance is probably my favorite in a sea of a great performances. Its all the little things, like his smug laughs, the frustrated sighs and quick temper when he doesnt get his way, those head nods he likes to do when he tries to get an understanding of the situation, the way he interjects his educated vocabulary into various sentences.

And I just love everything in
his final boss encounter, right down to his character model with the blood and the evil bangs and all his taunts. "C'mon, quit prolonging the inevitable! My arm's getting tired...". His death being crushed by the treasure he sought for so long is such a perfect thematic ending for him.

Top Bottom