• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

zsynqx

I don't really understand how people say the stealth is good in this game. What exactly is good about it? It's as basic as it gets, it doesn't even have the lure mechanic from TLOU. The whole thing just boils down to hiding behind a wall or a bush (which is laughable "cover") and waiting for the dumb AI to walk past you. There's really nothing to it at all.

Great level design which allows climbing, swinging, sliding and eventually swimming. I do agree the the game could do with a lure/distract mechanic.

RS4-

lol my save fucked up when I started a new game. All the modifier points I had (209) are down to zero. My treasure count was 49 when I beat the game, that too is zero. But the last 10-15 treasures I picked up are listed, but nothing before that.

My journals, notes, convos are at 0 too. But my time, distance, etc that's still there.

Fuck this. I'm not gonna bother playing Sp anymore, my shit is probably all glitched.

Elitist1945

I can't confirm this. I've played the collection on crushing before I started UC4 and they're still amazing. Sure, the graphics are outdated but the gameplay and presentation is still great.

I was talking about going back after experiencing Uncharted 4. The gameplay would just pale in comparison.

Yes! It looks awful. I actually had to find a video of that chapter on YouTube to be sure my GPU wasn't crapping out. Hate that part.
I'm surprised people thought the rain looked bad. I thought it was mindblowing. In my opinion it was the the most convincing looking rain I have ever seen in a game.

Edit: I'd actually say Arkham Knight had the best looking rain. But UC4 looks insanely good.

I don't really understand how people say the stealth is good in this game. What exactly is good about it? It's as basic as it gets, it doesn't even have the lure mechanic from TLOU. The whole thing just boils down to hiding behind a wall or a bush (which is laughable "cover") and waiting for the dumb AI to walk past you. There's really nothing to it at all.

It's good in the sense that you can actually stealth your entire way through a section whereas you could not in previous Uncharted games for 90% of all scenarios.

For the purposes of using stealth to weed out some people and then transitioning into a combat scenario, it's perfectly serviceable and miles ahead of the previous games. It's not something you'd play a whole game around, but as one element out of a whole, it plays its part well

Eblo

I just got to what I presume to be the game's big plot twist. Specifically,
finding the hidden pathways under Avery's house filled with the bodies of anyone who made him feel upset. It's amazing how his paranoia was foreshadowed the entire time and it just escalated without being too obvious. Then I saw all this and realized I had no clue just how deep this man's paranoia ran. Dude even went as far as booby trapping his people's mummified bodies with explosives.
When I realized what I had just gotten into, I was like, "Oh. Ohhh. Oh shit."

Finished the game a couple hours ago. Chapters
17-epilogue
were absolutely fantastic. This is a tough one for me to rate because the above + chapters 8-13 are incredible stretches, but the first third of the game was pretty slow. I don't think it'll bother me that much on replays though now that I know what to expect. However, chapters 14-16 were just flat out boring. 16 should've been just a cutscene.

The combat arena design was superb especially from Chapter 13 onwards. The gunplay feel is inconsistent imo. Some guns feel really good such as the ARX, but others not so much. The story and characters were very well done. Graphics, animations and voice acting are among the best in the business. Platforming was the same old shit mostly, but the hook was a good addition. Puzzles were offensively easy even for an Uncharted game, but eh that's really not too important in the scheme of things.

I do wish that enemies with
miniguns
were brought into the fold earlier and the game also needed a couple more combat sections.

Chapter 11 setpiece was something else.

It was sad in the last couple chapters knowing that this is the last game with Nate, but it ended perfectly. I don't think I want a sequel even with
the way they set it up for Sam to continue or possibly even the daughter.

Haven't played any multiplayer whatsoever, but my rating for single player is a 9.

Ranking:

UC2>UC4>TLoU>UC3>UC1

Also, my third favorite game this gen after The Witcher 3 & Dark Souls 3. Haven't played Bloodborne yet though, but I'll start it after replaying UC4.

alexbull_uk

Just started Chapter 15 and I'm loving it so far. Not sure how long I have left, but I hope there's still a while.

Just checked my screenshot folder and I've taken 601 so far :D

the shooting in 1 especially is miles behind 4

Hmm..I don't know. I've never had any problems with shooting in UC1. I don't think there's a huge difference between all the four games (well...except the very slow beginning in UC4). To be honest....UC4 feels too slow so far. I love it, it's an amazing game but the first chapters don't have much replay value. I'm not talking about the story and cutscenes (they're fantastic), just the gameplay.

mileS

Edit: Oh yeah, turning the sensitivity down to zero made the aiming feel way better. Just passing that advice from other GAFers along as a thing to try if it's not clicking.

That with or without aim assist? Not talking about snap aiming or w/e but the 1-10 aim assist option.

I def found the default sensitivity too fast. Now I just can't decide on 1-10 for aim assist.

Well I just got to Chapter 9 and I can definitely say that this is the best Uncharted ever. Naughty Dog has absolutely nailed the combat gameplay and its actually trading blows with MGSV in terms of organic stealth/action combat. This has the added benefit of all the climbing mechanics while MGSV has more responsive controls and more overall options to tackle situations.

But so far the combat sections have been very entertaining. I usually try to go for stealth and in any other game I'd restart if caught, but here I just fight it out however I can. The music is also really good as well. I'm having a really good time with this one.

JayB1920

Puzzles were offensively easy even for an Uncharted game, but eh that's really not too important in the scheme of things.

This. Minus the puzzle in Chapter 11 which was pretty good due to the timing/momentum/platforming involved the puzzles were incredibly easy. This is one area Naughty Dog can learn a bit from Crystal Dynamics. Puzzle design was much better in Rise of the Tomb Raider. I know its never been the focus of these games but if you are going to put puzzles in your game make them at least require a little though.

Kuro

I liked TLOU better including its gameplay but this was still a great way to end Uncharted and it was definitely better than 1 and 3. Hard mode just kind of soured the experience for me because you couldn't really get out of cover much with out instant death and the stealth was really bad when enemies would spot me from far away through a little window. Again I feel like the best thing about Uncharted will always be the set pieces, graphics, story, and exploration and this game did all 4 really well.

I'm surprised people thought the rain looked bad. I thought it was mindblowing. In my opinion it was the the most convincing looking rain I have ever seen in a game.

Edit: I'd actually say Arkham Knight had the best looking rain. But UC4 looks insanely good.

The rain in the air looked fine, it was the effect of it hitting the cliff walls and rocks that bothered me. Sometimes you can actually see it repeat in a weird grid pattern, almost like a bad, low-res animated texture.
If you didn't notice it, I don't recommend you look for it now. Lol

Elitist1945

I liked TLOU better including its gameplay but this was still a great way to end Uncharted and it was definitely better than 1 and 3. Hard mode just kind of soured the experience for me because you couldn't really get out of cover much with out instant death and the stealth was really bad when enemies would spot me from far away through a little window. Again I feel like the best thing about Uncharted will always be the set pieces, graphics, story, and exploration and this game did all 4 really well.

Yeah I regret not going Moderate with this. Usually Medium isn't really challenging but Hard in UC4 is painfully hard imo.

I only thought Hard (my first playthrough) was bad in the last few chapters. Chapter
, which is a great concept and needs to be intense and chaotic is awful on hard difficulty. If you're using the new mechanics, I didn't find much anything prior to that part that bad. The obnoxious difficulty spike because of how the level is laid out was a bummer.

Elitist1945

I only thought Hard (my first playthrough) was bad in the last few chapters. Chapter
, which is a great concept and needs to be intense and chaotic is awful on hard difficulty. If you're using the new mechanics, I didn't find much anything prior to that part that bad. The obnoxious difficulty spike because of how the level is laid out was a bummer.

The only areas I had a problem with were:
the first Juggernaut encounter, the Shipyard, and the Rafe fight. Although my problem with the Rafe fight was the controls/camera so difficulty probably wouldn't change much.

Ashhong

5 gigs of patches? Is there any way to start the patch downloading process if I haven't even put my disc in once? Probably not..dammit

I know I'm a minority with this opinion, but here it goes anyway. As much as I enjoy Uncharted 4, I don't think the graphics are all that mind-blowing as people say. I mean, the game is probably the best looking overall, and while certain areas do stand out, others look pretty simple. There are low resolution textures in many places, as well as low poly objects (the limes in the trees for example). One thing Naughty Dog do deserve a praise for though is their anti aliasing solution, it's probably the best I've seen in a console game.

The game itself is ace tho! Absolutely loving it, starting chapter 14 now.

zsynqx

I know I'm a minority with this opinion, but here it goes anyway. As much as I enjoy Uncharted 4, I don't think the graphics are all that mind-blowing as people say. I mean, the game is probably the best looking overall, and while certain areas do stand out, others look pretty simple. There are low resolution textures in many places, as well as low poly objects (the limes in the trees for example). One thing Naughty Dog do deserve a praise though is their anti aliasing solution, it's probably the best I've seen in a console game.

Out of interest, which areas do you feel don't look as good?

This was notable for me too on moderate. There's a big jump.

The only areas I had a problem with were:
the first Juggernaut encounter, the Shipyard, and the Rafe fight. Although my problem with the Rafe fight was the controls/camera so difficulty probably wouldn't change much.
That's pretty reasonable. I think all those spots (sans
the boss
are reasonably difficult and a tad unfair. Stealth should have been much more viable like it was in
Libertalia
which you can literally go unseen in. There are also a spot in
the caves with Elena that if you're low on ammo suck ass since it's such a confined space.

Anyways, if those are the spots you struggled with I don't think that's unreasonable at all. They stick out as not being very well balanced for the higher difficulties.

Kaizer

Banned
Holy Shit, just got done with Chapter
's action sequence (EDIT: ^What he said, the Extended E3 Demo), couldn't believe what I was seeing, simply fucking amazing.

This game man, THIS GAME.

Out of interest, which areas do you feel don't look as good?

No specific locations that I recall. I just know that I'm going somewhere and then I think 'ok this looks awesome', a few minutes later 'yeah this doesn't look so good'. I'll try to get some screenshots later. As I said, the game is very good looking overall though.

Elitist1945

Anyways, if those are the spots you struggled with I don't think that's unreasonable at all. They stick out as not being very well balanced for the higher difficulties.

Concerning the first area I had issues with,
the juggernaut, I actually had a grenade launcher that I ditched prior because I didn't think I'd need it. What a mistake that was.

Griss

Wow, I know the game is linear, but this is terrible. In Chapter
, where you're fighting through the
market with the armoured vehicle, I managed to get past the vehicle and up into the streets.
The game decides I've gone in the wrong direction, just cuts to black and puts me back to the start of the whole encounter that I'd just aced after three attempts.

You kidding me? If you want the game to be that linear just put some walls down or something. The fact that there's auto-kill invisible walls (in an area that I thought was the natural target / progression!) is terrible game design. Surprised, Naughty Dog. Surprised.

I know I'm a minority with this opinion, but here it goes anyway. As much as I enjoy Uncharted 4, I don't think the graphics are all that mind-blowing as people say. I mean, the game is probably the best looking overall, and while certain areas do stand out, others look pretty simple. There are low resolution textures in many places, as well as low poly objects (the limes in the trees for example). One thing Naughty Dog do deserve a praise for though is their anti aliasing solution, it's probably the best I've seen in a console game.

I'd say the game only looks impossibly mind blowing like 10% of the time in very specific moments/areas. 85% of the time it looks at pretty much the same level of other really good looking AAA games (Infamous, Ryse, Until Dawn) and then there's this other 5% where it looks a bit subpar and out of place.

The one thing that surprised me the most is how big and open all the areas are compared to the other Uncharted games while still looking this good.

IKizzLE

Just finished. Great game, felt it was about 3 hrs too long. The gameplay is so much better in this game and the encounters and level design is so good that I was pissed that their weren't enough combat sections. Honestly thought there was too much platforming and the puzzles were offensively easy. Pacing could use some work as well and it's funny to see so many people bash uncharted 3 primarily due to its slow burn but praise uncharted 4 when there were a ton of parallels. 9/10
TLOU > U2 > U4 > U3 > U1

Greecian-

This chapter destroyed me on crushing. I'm not sure how exactly I passed it. It's all a blur.

zsynqx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLwa6fmqvU-4FetxNyI8sUfJHQocFqMezZ&v=KdCJMvgnkuc

Easy Allies finally get their review out

5/5

Just finished. Great game, felt it was about 3 hrs too long. The gameplay is so much better in this game and the encounters and level design is so good that I was pissed that their weren't enough combat sections. Honestly thought there was too much platforming and the puzzles were offensively easy. Pacing could use some work as well and it's funny to see so many people bash uncharted 3 primarily due to its slow burn but praise uncharted 4 when there were a ton of parallels. 9/10
TLOU > U2 > U4 > U3 > U1

Uncharted 4's slow start had a payoff, Uncharted 3's did not.

Flandy

My best screenshot tbh
26392275764_24eca3b75f_o.png

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I'm curious to know what Yahtzee's (Zero Punctuation) review is gonna be like.

Regardless of his opinion, I just love his way of reviewing games.

Top Bottom