• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Novocaine

Midway through CH7 right now. I heard that it gets better, I hope that comes soon.

Looks great, and the story is good so far but man, the gameplay is kind of boring.

I'd say the game only looks impossibly mind blowing like 10% of the time in very specific moments/areas. 85% of the time it looks at pretty much the same level of other really good looking AAA games (Infamous, Ryse, Until Dawn) and then there's this other 5% where it looks a bit subpar and out of place.

The one thing that surprised me the most is how big and open all the areas are compared to the other Uncharted games while still looking this good.
You see what you want to see but there is literally nothing in Until Dawn or Infamous that is on par graphically with UC4. I really hate to get in to graphical arguments because art style is subjective but come onnnnnnnn.

I'm not using lock on aim, but some of the combat areas seemed made for it. End of chapter
10 when your in the roundish room with the chandelier hanging in the middle, you can swing and shoot at the same time

WinFonda

This game man. So much heart. So much spectacle.

Naughty Dog.

Uncharted.

9 years.

My life has changed right alongside Drake's. What an adventure it's been. What a legendary franchise.

Sic Parvis Magna indeed.

I forgot to post this yesterday but I really recommend exploring a lot on chapter 14. Especially for a lengthy optional conversation with dialogue options that is easy to miss if you're not seeking them out. It's one of the best interactions in the game. I was kicking myself for missing it the first time through.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Location spoilers, that is it. If you are past chapter 13 you should be fine.

He will hate it :p

That's the beauty of it.

He has such a way with words that's kinda hard to ignore.

Also, I'm listening to some of the encounter pieces on the soundtrack and I noticed Jackman is actually utilizing some of Edmonson's motifs in this aspect as well.

Wollan

I dunno, I want
Naughty Dog to move on to new things and who else could do an Uncharted game justice?
I feel the same. They
left the possibility open though for other internal Sony studios to possibly carry the torch in the future without risk of destroying the legendary characters of Nathan and Elena

drotahorror

17 hours to beat on hard. I did notice during the epilogue that the time played was still counting during the cutscenes though, not sure if that was the case for every cutscene. I had heard it didn't count time in them.

Sick ass game. Definitely the best Uncharted imo. Better than TLOU? naw but no game is. I see a lot of people really saying they dug the combat. I dunno, the only time I enjoyed it combat was when I was able to stealth kill. Any time I got caught, it was a death sentence 80% of the time. I'm not garbage at games and I'm pretty good at shooters, just die too quick. I dread any higher difficulty.

I feel the same. They
left the possibility open though for other internal Sony studios to possibly carry the torch in the future without risk of destroying the legendary characters of Nathan and Elena
I expect that's going to be the DLC. Or we're going to go
back in time to when Libertalia was thriving

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wrapped it up. Still thinking about everything, but that ending was perfect.

For me I'd still put 2 above it, and consider TLoU to be the best ND game. This seems like one of the least replayable games I've seen in a long time though. I want to revisit it but I know so many parts are going to be a huge drag...yet the combat is so fun when they give you freedom ala that PSX demo, it's nutty to me that they're so infrequent.

Since I replayed all the games in the collection, I do remember tracking stats just because I wanted to see how the games compared(UC1 being RIDICULOUSLY stacked with the amount of shit tossed at you).

The series total for me looks like this:

Enemies Killed:

UC1 - 777
UC2 - 958
UC3 - 720
UC4 - 524

Playtime:

UC1 - 6:32 with 124 restarts
UC2 - 9:33 with 94 restarts
UC3 - 7:24 with 105 restarts
UC4 - 16:01 with 46 restarts

Really interesting to me.

KillGore

So I just got the game and I just got fucking spoiled. Finished installing the game and went to press down on the while on the main menu to see all the game's info (who's played it, trophies, videos, etc) and there it was, the fucking title of a video spoiled the game for me. What the fuck, playstation?

MMarston

Wrapped it up. Still thinking about everything, but that ending was perfect.

For me I'd still put 2 above it, and consider TLoU to be the best ND game. This seems like one of the least replayable games I've seen in a long time though. I want to revisit it but I know so many parts are going to be a huge drag...yet the combat is so fun when they give you freedom ala that PSX demo, it's nutty to me that they're so infrequent.

Since I replayed all the games in the collection, I do remember tracking stats just because I wanted to see how the games compared(UC1 being RIDICULOUSLY stacked with the amount of shit tossed at you).

The series total for me looks like this:

Enemies Killed:

UC1 - 777
UC2 - 958
UC3 - 720
UC4 - 524

Playtime:

UC1 - 6:32 with 124 restarts
UC2 - 9:33 with 94 restarts
UC3 - 7:24 with 105 restarts
UC4 - 16:01 with 46 restarts

Really interesting to me.
Oddly enough, I'm pretty sure this is the UC game I've played where I died the least amount of times on my first-time normal run. Don't think I ever got stuck that long in any encounter.

So I just got the game and I just got fucking spoiled. Finished installing the game and went to press down on the while on the main menu to see all the game's info (who's played it, trophies, videos, etc) and there it was, the fucking title of a video spoiled the game for me. What the fuck, playstation?
This is why I just press X immediately.

Out of curiosity, what was spoiled for you? (tag it)

leng jai

Even on hard you die in about 3 hits, are drowning in grenades at times and face enemies with pinpoint accuracy from 10 years away. It's definitely not like TLOU where the game needs to played on harder difficulties.

You see what you want to see but there is literally nothing in Until Dawn or Infamous that is on par graphically with UC4. I really hate to get in to graphical arguments because art style is subjective but come onnnnnnnn.

Ok, I just picked some games that people consistently refer to as having good graphics. Would you prefer Drive Club, The Order, Arkham Knight or maybe something else. Most of the time the game looks great (and so do a lot of games) but then there's other times when everything really comes together and you actually have no idea how they got this working on a PS4. I don't think every single second of this game looks a generation ahead of the games I mentioned, but it's peak moments definitely do and that's what puts it ahead.

I can definitely say some scenes in Until Dawn are definitely more impressive than a couple of areas I've played through in Uncharted 4. But likewise there are scenes in Uncharted 4 that look better than the entirety of Until Dawn.

Wagram

Big, BIG spoiler here so don't touch it unless you've beaten it.
I'm very curious if Cassie is an homage to Amy Hennig. When I look at her, I see a young Amy Hennig.
Maybe that's a real thing that was intentional or perhaps it's my imagination getting the better of me.

Wollan

Anyone else having bittersweet feelings now? These characters will be dearly missed... yet I'm happy it went out on an incredible high. I wouldn't have cared much if ND announced that the franchise was over shortly after 3 released but 4 really built up the feels again.

I'm going through the same emotions I did when the last episode of Lost had aired. Played the first Uncharted at age 23 as a bachelor student and now I'm 32 w/morgage and soon to be married.

Slixshot

Banned
Was there anything you can do against grenades other than run? In 3 you could chuck them back but I don't remember ever seeing any notification that you could in this one.

leng jai

Ok, I just picked some games that people consistently refer to as having good graphics. Would you prefer Drive Club, The Order, Arkham Knight or maybe something else. Most of the time the game looks great (and so do a lot of games) but then there's other times when everything really comes together and you actually have no idea how they got this working on a PS4. I don't think every single second of this game looks a generation ahead of the games I mentioned, but it's peak moments definitely do and that's what puts it ahead.

I can definitely say some scenes in Until Dawn are definitely more impressive than a couple of areas I've played through in Uncharted 4. But likewise there are scenes in Uncharted 4 that look better than the entirety of Until Dawn.

You're nitpicking certain parts of UC4 that don't blow you away when the games you're comparing them to are vastly more inconsistent visually. Arkham Knight's graphics look the same for the entire game basically. Comparing something like DriveClub to UC4 is ridiculous. Until Dawn's frame rate is dire half the time even though it doesn't matter for that game. The Order is probably the only game that has the visual consistency and attention to detail of UC4 but that game is far more limited.

DirtyLarry

Was there anything you can do against grenades other than run? In 3 you could chuck them back but I don't remember ever seeing any notification that you could in this one.
Nope nothing, and it is such a weird decision to me. Let me toss those little bastards back.

Wollan

Nope nothing, and it is such a weird decision to me. Let me toss those little bastards back.
Maybe it's due to the strive of making the game feel more grounded? I mean, it seems like they removed all super human agility movesets with this game compared to original trilogy. No longer does the character jump unbelievably high anymore when climbing (only 'fantastically') and all animations now seem perfectly blended and everything has to connect. Maybe the toss-back-grenade move in *<1sec was too much.

leng jai

Maybe it's due to the strive of making the game feel more grounded? I mean, it seems like they removed all super human agility movesets with this game compared to original trilogy. No longer does the character jump unbelievably high anymore when climbing (only 'fantastically') and all animations now seem perfectly blended and everything has to connect. Maybe the toss-back-grenade move in *<1sec was too much.

That would make sense if they also omitted the constant super accurate grenade spamming on harder difficulties.

MMarston

In ND's defence, I replayed UC3 the other month and I gotta admit, the toss grenade feature was way too convenient most of the time.

kobu

Chapter 20 Crushing lmao. These mercenaries should have extra ammo...

Also, your partners are useless.

I'm there right now and about to just call it a night. I feel like I don't have enough ammo to take down every enemy and those melee dudes are starting to piss me off.

Kaizer

Banned
I forgot to post this yesterday but I really recommend exploring a lot on chapter 14. Especially for a lengthy optional conversation with dialogue options that is easy to miss if you're not seeking them out. It's one of the best interactions in the game. I was kicking myself for missing it the first time through.

I'll be getting there soon, but could you perhaps spoiler tag specifically the area you need to be - I'd really hate to miss it.

Servbot24

Banned
Just beat it. I felt like I was hurrying through a lot of it since I wanted to see the story but it still took 14:30 on Normal to beat.

Best Uncharted. The ending was unexpected in a very satisfying way.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Yup. I do not like this game. Very surprising. ND is my favorite dev.

Oh well.

First time I don't finish a ND game. I must have played through TLoU half a dozen times. It's not a bad game and in many ways it's absolutely mad (the detail, animation, environments, etc) but I just don't like it. Tbh I actually kind of dislike it.

Never would have guessed that. I thought UC4 was a sure thing.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
And done. Fantastic game. Makes me more hyped than fucking ever for TLOU 2.

Only gripe is that they
spoiled the best set piece at E3
, was hoping for at least
1 more HOLY SHIT moment.

JB1981

At what point do I get to play this game? The story, plotting and level design is compelling but damn lots of walking and watching thus far. Up to chapter Once A Thief....

You're nitpicking certain parts of UC4 that don't blow you away when the games you're comparing them to are vastly more inconsistent visually. Arkham Knight's graphics look the same for the entire game basically. Comparing something like DriveClub to UC4 is ridiculous. Until Dawn's frame rate is dire half the time even though it doesn't matter for that game. The Order is probably the only game that has the visual consistency and attention to detail of UC4 but that game is far more limited.

And what exactly is the problem with that. For the purpose of a comparison you have to put one thing's weakness against another's strength. Nitpicking is exactly what I'm doing. Its not like all of a sudden Uncharted is not the best looking console game(because it is). If I were to bring in all the flaws in the other titles then there'd be no comparison because Uncharted has better graphics overall.

Does Uncharted look better than Until Dawn? Yes. Do some moments of Until Dawn look better than some moments of Uncharted? Yes. Does that take away anything from Uncharted? No.

Wollan

And done. Fantastic game. Makes me more hyped than fucking ever for TLOU 2.
Yeah. The environment, art and props level in Uncharted 4 combined with improved animations and gameplay systems is very very promising for TLOU2. Especially as TLOU doesn't blast through the environment at 90mph but focuses more on scavenging and upgrade activities with more dangerous combat.

chapter 15

d3zrvo.jpg

leng jai

And what exactly is the problem with that. For the purpose of a comparison you have to put one thing's weakness against another's strength. Nitpicking is exactly what I'm doing. Its not like all of a sudden Uncharted is not the best looking console game(because it is). If I were to bring in all the flaws in the other titles then there'd be no comparison because Uncharted has better graphics overall.

Does Uncharted look better than Until Dawn? Yes. Do some moments of Until Dawn look better than some moments of Uncharted? Yes. Does that take away anything from Uncharted? No.

It doesn't really make sense to compare the best parts of other games to the weaker parts of UC4. Overall UC4 is the best looking console game by far, so the obvious comparison is comparing the entire package. No game looks 10/10 24/7 and I'm not sure anyone ever said that.

Just finished UC4. Literally in the credits at the moment. Naughty Dog are wizards. I have no idea how they do it. A great ending to a great franchise. I still think UC2 is a little bit above UC4 just because I loved the setting a little better, however UC4 is a masterpiece from start to finish. I literally lost my shit at some of the sequences in this game.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Playing some plunder and I'm underwhelmed. I don't know what it is but teams are just rolling right over us. You die too fast and the add tons ruin the balance.

Grisby

Glad I didn't watch the whole e3 demo. The end of that section is probably the most impressive set piece I;ve ever seen outside of God Of War 3's opening.

Even if it's a retread from UC2's
run from the jeep in Nepal deal.

Vire

Was that overly melodramatic Ch16
old woman
, really necessary?

Felt like the story has been outstanding till that weird aside.

Top Bottom