• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Playing some plunder and I'm underwhelmed. I don't know what it is but teams are just rolling right over us. You die too fast and the add tons ruin the balance.

I just went in a random game and got 3 straight captures, I had to double check the other team was actually there. Maybe check the official MP thread if you keep having shitty MM luck?

Glad I didn't watch the whole e3 demo. The end of that section is probably the most impressive set piece I;ve ever seen outside of God Of War 3's opening.

Even if it's a retread from UC2's
run from the jeep in Nepal deal.

not even the best set piece in the game ;)

Vire

It felt like the intent was for
her to be extremely impressionable to Sam and Nate so that the coolaid of becoming the Frame brothers didn't feel too forced, because they were at a high from her story.
They just have easily could have gathered that information
from the journal itself.. Seeing it in their mothers handwriting would have been reason enough

Just finished the game! Really enjoyed my time with it. Don't know if it's my favorite yet, but the combat alone is the best in the series imo. Really love how adventure plays a bigger role in 4 and that I'm not always out there shooting baddies. The game is so beautiful to look at as well.

KillGore

This is why I just press X immediately.

Out of curiosity, what was spoiled for you? (tag it)

The title of the video was Sam and Nate's death or something along those lines, I quickly pressed back but it was too late. Now when I try to access the video again, it doesn't let me lol doesn't show the title now, so maybe it was taken down? Not sure. Anyways I'm not even sure it's 100% true, but even if it isn't, that's stupid of them to put it on the Game page.

Edit: The video even auto-played itself.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Yeah just continuously getting railroaded. Insane how bad the mp is. SP is top tier UD, but the mp is trash so far.

Stoze

I can seriously listen to Rafe talk for hours, there are so many things about UC4 that are the absolute best in the series, and the villains are one of them.

Vire

Agreed. I think it would've been better if they reworked that chapter as a 5 minute cutscene or something.

Anyone know what the second one is?
Seemed like they tried to do a whole Left Behind thing in that chapter... But not as effective.

I can seriously listen to Rafe talk for hours, there are so many things about UC4 that are the absolute best in the series, and the villains are one of them.
Huuuge improvement over badguyavich and Helen Mirren.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
The title of the video was Sam and Nate's death or something along those lines, I quickly pressed back but it was too late. Now when I try to access the video again, it doesn't let me lol doesn't show the title now, so maybe it was taken down? Not sure. Anyways I'm not even sure it's 100% true, but even if it isn't, that's stupid of them to put it on the Game page.

Yeah, I dunno how to respond to this apart from just keep playing.

You'll still love it - trust me.

Toki767

Just finished. Such a great game. I think I liked 2 better, but 4 was easily better than 1 and 3.

Also surprised at no supernatural element to the game.

kgtrep

Was that overly melodramatic Ch16
old woman
, really necessary?

Felt like the story has been outstanding till that weird aside.

Yes, I think the
lady
is necessary.

Although her presence was brief, she illustrated well what would happen to Nate should he put adventure foremost over personal relationship. Through letters and photos scattered about the house, you find out that the lady has slowly become alone and miserable. As she dies, there is no one to help her or tell her that she was loved.

Edit: The video even auto-played itself.

You'll see what happens at the end. That's all I gotta say.

zsynqx

Agreed. I think it would've been better if they reworked that chapter as a 5 minute cutscene or something.

I disagree.

Reading all the notes in the house and finding out how the old woman had ruined her marriage with her obsession for adventure really tied in to the main themes of the game.

Edit: Yeah this :p

Yes, I think the lady is necessary.

Her brief presence illustrates well
what would happen to Nate should he put adventure foremost over personal relationship. Through letters and photos scattered about the house, you find out that the lady has slowly become alone and miserable. As she dies, there is no one to help her or tell her that she was loved.

Vire

Ch. 14... If the settings get any more beautiful or the atmosphere any more thick, my head is going to explode.
For real. Embarassing other devs with this shit. 14 and 15 are just leaps and bounds more beautiful than any other game I've seen on the PS4 or Xbox One.

I just don't understand how ND is on another plane of existance when it comes to presentation.

MMarston

Yes, I think the lady is necessary.

Her brief presence illustrates well
what would happen to Nate should he put adventure foremost over personal relationship. Through letters and photos scattered about the house, you find out that the lady has slowly become alone and miserable. As she dies, there is no one to help her or tell her that she was loved.

Yeah I personally admired Ch. 16 and the side story as well.

TissueBox

Finished yesterday but my thoughts are too constipated to put sensibly into words just yet. I do got a ranking in respect to the rest of the series, however:

UC2 > UC1 > UC4 > UC3 = Golden Abyss

They're all decent at minimum, though.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
For real. Embarassing other devs with this shit. 14 and 15 are just leaps and bounds more beautiful than any other game I've seen on the PS4 or Xbox One.

I just don't understand how ND is on another plane of existance when it comes to presentation.

They spent more effort modeling Drake's home than some devs do their entire game.

Vire

I don't understand how anyone could possibly list Uncharted 1 over 4. That seems unfathomable to me.

But hey.. To each their own I guess.

Lingitiz

Glad I didn't watch the whole e3 demo. The end of that section is probably the most impressive set piece I;ve ever seen outside of God Of War 3's opening.

Even if it's a retread from UC2's
run from the jeep in Nepal deal.
The most impressive aspect is how it chains everything together. It's like greatest hits of a bunch of different Uncharted setpieces. To my knowledge there's never been one in the series that long and involving.

They spent more effort modeling Drake's home than some devs do their entire game.
Fairly safe to say some at Naughty Dog really loved Gone Home.

Vire

I wonder how many artists are at Naughty Dog. The amount of unique assets scattered about the 15 hour experience is just ridiculous. I really would like to know the budget of this thing compared to other AAA titles.

Or maybe it's just that they don't sleep. Either way, I appreciate the hard work.

I disagree.

Reading all the notes in the house and finding out how the old woman had ruined her marriage with her obsession for adventure really tied in to the main themes of the game.

Agreed. And I thought its placement in the story was really well done.

Raxus

On Chapter 18 on crushing and only ran into two rather difficult parts so far.

Right now what is killing me is the lack of ammo more than anything but most of the time it is manageable.

I am down to the last 20 treasures. As per usual Uncharted's collectibles are a fucking nightmare to collect unless you have a guide.

On Chapter 18 on crushing and only ran into two rather difficult parts so far.

Right now what is killing me is the lack of ammo more than anything but most of the time it is manageable.

I am down to the last 20 treasures. As per usual Uncharted's collectibles are a fucking nightmare to collect unless you have a guide.
The treasures are even harder to find on UC4 than previous games due to the open environments and multiple paths.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I wonder how many artists are at Naughty Dog. The amount of unique assets scattered about the 15 hour experience is just ridiculous. I really would like to know the budget of this thing compared to other AAA titles.

Or maybe it's just that they don't sleep. Either way, I appreciate the hard work.

I spent so much time just looking at everything in the environments. Amazing game from start to finish.

I think it might be my favorite in the series now. I appreciate the more grounded tone they took this time around.

jjgzee

Banned
I beat the game today. Utterly fantastic game, I just wish there were a couple more amazing set pieces.

No setpiece matched the greatness of chapter 11's.

I also would have liked a little more gun battles. The ones that were there were really well-designed, but I felt like the combat was a little too scarce for my liking. I only killed
621 enemies in my entire playthrough on hard. That's significantly lower than the other games.

Otherwise, fantastic presentation, graphics, story and gameplay.

Stoze

I disagree.

The story and theme aspect of it is important, which is why I think it could still work redone as a cinematic, or at the very least make it a way shorter chapter. I feel like I didn't need an entire chapter devoted to hitting that point home, especially one that drags on and has sub-par dialogue imo.

Vire

I spent so much time just looking at everything in the environments. Amazing game from start to finish.

I think it might be my favorite in the series now. I appreciate the more grounded tone they took this time around.
My playtime is probably going to be closer to the 20 hour range because I spent two hours just zooming in on silly mundane objects. :)

I want to continue Chapter 17 tonight, but I'm so freaking tired...

Vire

Sucker Punch
Did you play Second Son? The "evil" ending had me tears laughing at how preposterously stupid it was. They simply do not have the writers to do this game justice.

Just let it be and have The Last of Us become the next evergreen title for Sony I guess...

One of the best games I have ever played

As much as I love the gore, this has easily trumped Last Of Us for me. Absolutely incredible game. Visuals, pacing, story, characters, variety in encounters. Masterpiece

MMarston

The only TLOU game I'll accept next is a mid-crisis prequel.

It can be the Children of Men game I always wanted

im totally getting the next one anyway

Am I the only one that really dug the
no supernatural element thing? the truth turned out to be just a bunch of assholes stuck on an island
(end game spoilers).

I don't want another Uncharted game. It just won't feel the same with
Drake being an old man. he had lots of greys in the epilogue meng. Sam as a main character would probably work as a DLC. I hope the DLC includes Chloe or something. I miss her.

Top Bottom