• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

JBwB

Took me a while but I've finally finished picking up all the collectibles... That platinum trophy is almost in sight!
I just need to finish the game on Crushing to get the other difficulty trophies. As helpful as those gameplay modifiers were for the other trophies I think I'm just going to do my crushing playthrough without any modifiers activated.

I'm seriously going to miss this series and its characters.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
One of the best games that I ever played since PS4 out , ND is the best for sure
I'm uploading a trailer that I made for Uncharted 4 ( please if you did not play it don't watch )
I will be happy if you watch it and like it

stay tuned xD

Marvel

could never
I think I am very near or at the end, this is potentially one of the greatest games ever created. I cannot believe what ND have got out of the PS4.

Nothing comes close visually.

Oh, and I said this earlier in the thread, but I absolutely believe Left Behind is ND's new template going forward. I wouldn't be surprised if their next IP has very little combat.

Under Neil Druckmann's creative leadership, I'd say almost certainly. If we see how he talks about set-pieces, making them more intimate, and how he thinks very highly of things like TLoU's photobooth sequence and how he was the pitch for UC4's
attic
scene, I expect stuff like those things to be more prevalent in future ND games written and designed by him, as ways to push the emotional gameplay beats without relying on combat mechanics.

ZeroX03

Banned
You know it kinda disappointed me although it wasn't a big deal at was that there wasn't a supernatural aspect in this game like the previous three. I kinda liked those.

3 didn't have one.

Why naughty dog greyed out crushing difficulty, yet made it selectable is beyond me, I didn't even try to select it! So frustrating when you find out half way through that you only needed one playthrough for all the difficulty trophies!!!

It's not a big deal. If you're trying to do Crushing on your first playthrough you'll probably spend hours attempting enemy encounters, but if you do a second run on Crushing you can use cheats and get through it very quickly with little trouble.

Keihart

The platforming so far has been on of the most improved things here its fun to me.

Yeah, the adition of slides+rope+climbing with the stick instead of pressing X has made the game climbing and exploration super fun. I love the scottland section.

On a side note, i was worried about not enough combat, but i feel until chapter 11 where i am at anow, they are nailing it.
It is pretty similar to uncharted 3 structure, they build the tension slow and then make it explote with fights towards the end of some chapters.
I'm playing on hard, and the game keeps asking me to move more and more on fights wich is awesome in my book. Peaking behind cover is just a way to get shoot most of the time.

krae_man

Up to chapter 13 now. Hopefully I can finish tomorrow.

Had a couple of weird bugs in chapter 12.

I parked near the Island you need to go on and Sam got out of the boat with me. Then I saw something shiny in the water and swam out to it. It ended up being nothing but Sam followed me out there in the boat. When I got back to shore Sam started to i guess properly park the boat. It looked like he had it parked where he wanted then all of a sudden Sam appeared out of thin air on the left side of the screen and ran back to the boat.

I had to trigger the next cut scene to get him back beside me

Then later Sam says "you go check out that thing and I'll bring the boat around" and he doesn't do it. I had to get the boat myself. Sam what are you doing?:lol

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
The Last of Us has an insane amount of slower moments, just like Uncharted 4.

I do think it was paced better in that game though. And it felt more natural in that game's world. People's expectations for an Uncharted game are different.

Oh, and I said this earlier in the thread, but I absolutely believe Left Behind is ND's new template going forward. I wouldn't be surprised if their next IP has very little combat.
it also has more action. Slow sections there worked because some of them were used to give player scavenging time ,some were used for story telling and others were used to cool down player after big encounters but in U4 slow sections are just there for no reason

it also has more action. Slow sections there worked because some of them were used to give player scavenging time ,some were used for story telling and others were used to cool down player after big encounters but in U4 slow sections are just there for no reason

I definitely would disagree that U4's slow sections are "just there for no reason".

krae_man

To be fair, "slow sections" are all probably there for a reason: hide loading. Some are just pulled off better then others.

So far I haven't encountered any that bugged me like a few in UC3 did. But I definitely notice them and think "something is loading" and not "this slowness fits perfectly with the story, I want to be slow right now".

Finished the game, pretty content with the ending. The one thing I wanna know is what the art book spoiled. Can anyone tell me? I was theorizing it might have something to with
Nate's last name

Shin-chan

I've just got a new headset and used the Uncharted 4 profile for it for chapters 17 through 22 and I now do not understand criticisms of the soundtrack. The music in these chapters has been excellent. Really captures an epic pirate adventure.

Neil and Bruce were quoted saying that part of the reason for the spaces is to get you, the player in the same vibe/mood as Nathan Drake. If we look at the story beats that take place in-between the quiet moments, not necessarily action scenes, I feel like this is largely true. There's still parts where the pacing do feel off, but if we remove the idea that there needs to be a reason for slow sections in terms of action cool-down or scavenging, then it fits narratively imo.

Chapter 12's quiet moments, imo, best exemplifies this.
Chapter 12 had a quite a bit of dead ends, or side-track stuff that wasn't really worthwhile content-wise. But we can very visibly see how Nathan was basically zoned-out and frustrated throughout chapter 12, and the traversal bits of how he looked for Sam, etc shows that he's outta it. The quiet moments in chapter 12 was as much needed because Nathan was basically not focusing altogether, and that he's building up frustration from the Elena fallout.

UC4 has a lot more of 'quiet moments' to put you in the perspective of the character just for the sake of the the character emotion without other gamey aspects of it, more so than other ND games, even TLoU.

Koyuga

You know it kinda disappointed me although it wasn't a big deal at was that there wasn't a supernatural aspect in this game like the previous three. I kinda liked those.

Yeah, the
final act
ended up really boring for me because of that.
Should've been pirate ghosts or something

I don't mean to start any discussions about the graphics, so don't go into that. But what chapter do you think the E3 2014 trailer took place in?
It has to be For better or Worse, right? It even starts right after chapter 17, with Nate receiving a similiar injury on his forehead.
I'm sure this has been discussed already, but it has to be this one, no?

But by of that design mentality, gamification is not the go-to mentality of how to improve downtime. If anything, he wants to maximise the most of the lean mechanics that exist within what he feels is the arsenal that Nathan Drake would employ.

Eg. Crafting and upgrade are easy to implement mechanics, but from a story & character perspective, it doesn't feel right for Nathan Drake to have those. While the option of making existing mechanics more complex also exist, ultimately the game's principle objective is crafting an experience that serves the character's story, while immersing the player in the feeling of being Nathan Drake, and if the mechanics is too complex, it may serve to hinder the pacing further.

Good points, and interesting stuff to think about - in theory I really like all of this, just don't feel like it's come together in this game like it does in, say, Shadow of the Collosus. I think the issue for me may be all the traversal feels like busy work - just enough concentration required that you can't focus on the environment and let your mind wander and think about where you've been and where you're going. But also not involved enough to be interesting in of itself. I think they've struck an awkward balance -- they slow it down, ostensibly to give the adventure room to breathe, but are then too anxious to let you actually breathe, so bombard you with traversal and banter.

I take the point about not letting too much complexity stand between the player and inhabiting Drake, but things like rock climbing in real life really are technical. Since Drake is apparently the world's greatest climber, I'd feel more immersed if they found some way to highlight that. Like you have to plan and mark your route first, or some kind of stamina meter or what have you. Of course, pacing would suffer from this unless they made traversal less frequent (which I'd prefer anyway).

I think people just have an issue with the downtime in uncharted 4 is because we've had 3 games of the same environmental traversal/puzzles so it felt a little mundane.

In tlou, the world and environment was still fresh and scavenging for items was a real neccessity. I'd like to see how downtime is recieved in the sequel.

Maybe, but I'm not sure. I've only played 2 before. And, if anything, I got tired of the endless gun fights in that one. Again, for me, it's not downtime that's the problem, it's what they do with it.

zsynqx

I don't mean to start any discussions about the graphics, so don't go into that. But what chapter do you think the E3 2014 trailer took place in?
It has to be For better or Worse, right? It even starts right after chapter 17, with Nate having a similiar injury on his forehead.
I'm sure this has been discussed already, but it has to be this one, no?

Yeah, has to be because of the forehead.

Under Neil Druckmann's creative leadership, I'd say almost certainly. If we see how he talks about set-pieces, making them more intimate, and how he thinks very highly of things like TLoU's photobooth sequence and how he was the pitch for UC4's
attic
scene, I expect stuff like those things to be more prevalent in future ND games written and designed by him, as ways to push the emotional gameplay beats without relying on combat mechanics.

I welcome it. It's ND playing to their strengths.

I've just got a new headset and used the Uncharted 4 profile for it for chapters 17 through 22 and I now do not understand criticisms of the soundtrack. The music in these chapters has been excellent. Really captures an epic pirate adventure.

I'd like to classify it as music that's enjoyable but not

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I finished the game last night. What a ride Naughty Dog has took us on with this series. Amazing stuff and I can say without reservation that in my 30 years of playing games Uncharted is absolutely my favorite franchise. So thank you ND for all the love you poured into this series.

Audioboxer

At chapter 14 now. The graphics in this game are just absolutely mind blowing. Mouth wide open multiple times in the last few chapters. So much colour as well.

Holy shit these guys are going to do WORK with the Neo.

Plum

My brother's round so I want to show him the E3 2015 jeep scene, but I haven't finished the game yet. If I go back and replay it will I delete my progress so far?

Hjod

Banned
Just finished the game. Naughty Dogs best game to date imho.

I loved the slow build, it really gives you time to stroll around and explore, the game really makes me wanna explore everything haha.

They really nailed the characters, the VA is amazing and just like TLOU the characters feel really human, I kinda forgot that they are NPCs all the time.

Easter egg spoiler:
The Guybrush Threepwood easter egg was amazing haha, I saw it was him as soon as I saw the painting.

I beat it..Im so sad.

Really nice ending shot.

The ending arc of the game was really good. Loved the jungle so much. Loved the final stretch of the gameplay as it was the absolute best use of environment, shooting, swinging..

I didnt expect to be sad, but this was a very great finish. I never got to play UC1. I imagine the people who did really must have felt strongly about this all

Also, the music is just great. Why did people dislike it?

Early on. Just got through the attic. Which, yeah.

The previous entry had an ending that felt right and I was worried that following it up would feel pointless, but like Toy Story 3, I have a feeling it'll find something to say and make for a worthwhile send-off.

RDreamer

Also, the music is just great. Why did people dislike it?

I was one of the people complaining about the music. I don't dislike it. It's very good. It's just not up to the standards set by Uc1-3 and TLOU which were far beyond good. They were seminal works not just in the gaming world, but with all scores and even music in general. This one is adequate to pretty good.

Finished it earlier today and was left both satisfied and emotional. I'm not afraid to say I shed a few tears at the end (which has never happened to me before).

I loved it. Strong mechanics, excellent encounter design and a bigger emphasis on exploration and platforming than previous titles really hit the spot for me.

There was more downtime than you'd expect, but I really enjoyed the pacing and felt the less-is-more approach to combat worked well.

It is a different animal to the PS3 trilogy and I think there's valid complaints to be made but overall, it's hard not to be left impressed.

It's a game brimming with confidence and I can't wait to play it again.

After the first hours the game really picks up it's pace and delivers some stunning setpieces.

While I don't think is the best thing ever, I'm really enjoying the experience.

Visually it keeps impressing me over and over again.

okay, finally got home to play the game, binge played it last night till 5 in the morning,

need a little help. now i'm up to the part where...
you find libertalia? i don't know what to do now. i found the skeletons of the horse and that tomb with the writing on it and whatever, now what?

you need to finish with like 20+ seconds left and get 35+ wumpa fruits

you also must pick up the extra life

and yes only epilogue

The extra life is not available in the Elena version which is why you simply can't win there :p

Yeah I noticed that change straight away, did it in one. I play it too often, haha.

I wonder what amy's vision of the game was now.

By the way, this game does such a great job at avery's story. It always feels so creepy. The music was eerie. I want more of it. Discovering a lost civilisation just feels so well done. The environment and atmosphere is so perfect. I want them to make some sci fi game where we're discovering ancient forested planets so bad.

A Last of Us sequel set in another country would make me so happy.

...how soon until we hear what's next? Im guessing they tease up uc4 dlc, and then reveal their next game?

After the first hours the game really picks up it's pace and delivers some stunning setpieces.

While I don't think is the best thing ever, I'm really enjoying the experience.

Visually it keeps impressing me over and over again.

Wait until you see the freaking jungle. I swear, the very ending stretch looks so unreal. And it's not just the technical side of things. It's the artstyle

Polished it off last night. Really hard for me to express how I feel about this game. I really dislike a lot about the game. Mainly the gun play, the stealth, to many boxes with wheels/hills to slide down,
the entire Sam character
. On the other hand a lot of the story stuff and the locations you go to (
Besides Scotland, that entire chapter could of been cut
) are the best in gaming.
I agree, don't even know how many times I died because the controls just weren't appropriate in stealth sections :|

Especially after playing a lot of The Division, its cover system is fantastic.

Rixxan

It's even better on the second play through

I'm less anxious about the pacing and not knowing what awaits and I'm just soaking it all in

I think avery's story was so much better than anything else that they did. There's just something so perfect with the piecing together of the story, finding the island, seeing the eerie cliff, etc

Much better than Shambala, and uc3.

The way you discover the ending sets is just breathtaking and awe inspiring. And it's all so much more grounded than finding Shambala with its guardians and all that.

There's something much more mature about avery's story.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I wonder what amy's vision of the game was now.

I kept waiting for the 'supernatural' turn of events but it never came. So what I'm wondering is if she was the driving force behind those 'twists'. I was happy that U4 didn't make that turn.

Predwolf

Just finished.

Best UC game by far, pacing was a perfect blend of action/story/exploring/platforming. I actually shed a few tears throughout the ending, I didn't expect to have it hit you right in the feels.

9/10, only because no game is perfect.

I think avery's story was so much better than anything else that they did. There's just something so perfect with the piecing together of the story, finding the island, seeing the eerie cliff, etc

Much better than Shambala, and uc3.

The way you discover the ending sets is just breathtaking and awe inspiring. And it's all so much more grounded than finding Shambala with its guardians and all that.

There's something much more mature about avery's story.

I agree. I loved the story behind the treasure. They done a great job of telling it.

Top Bottom