• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Mat-triX

While I love the game, do you know what's the biggest disappointment? [Post Game Spoiler]:
Skins don't let you play as any character, like the previous games (sans U3 original). I want to play as Elena DAMN IT!

Everytime I come here I get a spoiler location, I'm done! Its always the one just before I enter it, the ones I've completed are blacked out of course. Be careful guys.

Edit: my mistake it wasn't a location spoiler, carry on fellas :D Woot, I still have no idea where the next locations will be.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I liked the Indiana Jones reference
in the graveyard looking for Avery's grave - one of the graves matches well but the dates are wrong, and Nate says 'bad dates' - and Sam chuckles

When I think back to UC2, my criticisms would have been:

-Shitty ending boss fight. Run around in a circle, blindfire at the boss. It's the same boss fight in the middle of the game with the Yeti.

-Puzzles were very straight forward and just used as pacing.

UC4's puzzles felt a little more difficult, which I actually liked. They served to pace the action, but they didnt feel like tasks, as you had to think a little more. Sure, they add in even MORE slower chapters with the Sam and Elena storylines, but the puzzles felt good.

The end fight in UC4 was fantastic IMO. Miles better than UC2.

I love the total
abandonment of all that you knew, and swordfighting is so damn fun. This was an example of story driving the boss fight, but it felt so right and simple. No giant bullet sponge bad guy, no huge environment to hide in, no way to stock up on guns and throw grenades or whatever. It was the total right call, and felt personal

As for the villain in UC4,
I like Rafe. He's a rich kid with a huge inferiority complex. He hates Drake, and it feels genuine. Sure, he's as stereotypical as they come, but he's so much better than evil psycho bald Lazaravich.

I dont know if I liked that
Nadine just disappears in the end. I feel as if ND didnt want to kill her off, but why not? Why would she be okay with Nate having killed so many of her men? She deserved to die.

Anyways, I'm still trying to figure out how this game originally intended to turn out. I imagine Amy
wanted Sam to be kind of insane, and for Sam and Drake and us to struggle over this idea of brotherhood versus insanity. I expected some kind of rocky relationship that finally snapped with Sam having Avery's treasure. Avery's treasure has constant hints of insanity that overcame everyone, but it was never revealed to be that way. It seems it was just paranoia and some serious case of distrust and being a damn pirate that did them in the end. I feel this was meant to be mirrored with Sam and Drake, but it never did

Horohoro

I'm still shocked at the number of ppl who finished the game and don't know
what drakes real last name is...
yet still loved everything about it lol.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Nadine just disappears in the end. I feel as if ND didnt want to kill her off, but why not? Why would she be okay with Nate having killed so many of her men? She deserved to die.

Given that
she realizes that her men's loyalty is 'bought' the hard way, I don't think she'll miss her men much.

SMG

A complete gusse on my part is that the end chunk of game got the most 'last minute' tweaks. The whole scene where Rafe slaps Nadine felt like a way to rush their arc to a conclusion. To a scene killing Nadine was probably cut along the way.

Gosh Naughty Dog really screwed up a great thing here. Just played 14-16 and the pacing is ridiculous right now. They had a good balance in TLOU but they have lost it. No escalation or momentum but just all over the place and where they need to ramp it up,
they go back to kid scenes where your pressing triangle doing your best LA Noire impression
. I appreciate downtime, but you need to have better gameplay variety where you are actually doing engaging things between the action. The rest of the game has some making up to do but right now I think these problems are really crippling the experience for me.

A complete gusse on my part is that the end chunk of game got the most 'last minute' tweaks. The whole scene where Rafe slaps Nadine felt like a way to rush their arc to a conclusion. To a scene killing Nadine was probably cut along the way.
Idk I felt like the
slap scene
worked but it needed more time after that. It's a shame they kinda rushed it. But I don't think
the plan was ever to kill Nadine. There were constant hints throughout the story that she either didn't like Rafe all that much, didn't care about killing the Drakes, or would switch sides based on whoever paid her more. So I don't think ND would've killed her as she is not really evil, just a scoundrel.

Horohoro

Gosh Naughty Dog really screwed up a great thing here. Just played 14-16 and the pacing is ridiculous right now. They had a good balance in TLOU but they have lost it. No escalation or momentum but just all over the place and where they need to ramp it up,
they go back to kid scenes where your pressing triangle doing your best LA Noire impression
. I appreciate downtime, but you need to have better gameplay variety where you are actually doing engaging things between the action. The rest of the game has some making up to do but right now I think these problems are really crippling the experience for me.

I really liked that part...

Nev

Banned

Nadine
mentioned a few times how Nate and Sam were "the better explorers" and how they probably "deserved the treasure" more. I think what happened with her is fitting: in the end, she believes they deserve the win over Rafe, but she can't let them have it just like that because well, they're "enemies" after all and they worked against her while killing a lot of her men, so she decides to stay in middle ground with that last move. She doesn't make it easy for them to survive with the treasure but at the same time she's not killing them directly.

What wasn't clear to me at the end though is what her motivations were. I guess she was just hired to bring the goons but at the beginning she seems interested as an explorer and not just a mercenary leader.

Toki767

Idk I felt like the
slap scene
worked but it needed more time after that. It's a shame they kinda rushed it. But I don't think
the plan was ever to kill Nadine. There were constant hints throughout the story that she either didn't like Rafe all that much, didn't care about killing the Drakes, or would switch sides based on whoever paid her more. So I don't think ND would've killed her as she is not really evil, just a scoundrel.

Nadine was like...the smartest and most sane person in the game.

The first combat encounter in
Chapter 20, the ship graveyard
is straight unfun.

I get I'm near some endgame and yeah, I'm on Crushing. But coming out of the
cave
where everyone had uzis and shotguns into a
big open arena with no available ammo and a second wave without a checkpoint
isn't challenging. It's fucked. All the cover is destroyable, all the swing points are exposed and blah blah just venting.

I appreciate the harder difficulties but I've not had a single problem before. This sticks out.

14-16 is the worst stretch of the game. I was just flabbergasted that they decided to follow up two boring chapters with a fucking
young Drake flashback.

17-20 is amazing though.

Xeteh

The first combat encounter in
Chapter 20, the ship graveyard
is straight unfun.

I get I'm near some endgame and yeah, I'm on Crushing. But coming out of the
cave
where everyone had uzis and shotguns into a
big open arena with no available ammo and a second wave without a checkpoint
isn't challenging. It's fucked. All the cover is destroyable, all the swing points are exposed and blah blah just venting.

I appreciate the harder difficulties but I've not had a single problem before. This sticks out.

Yep, that fight had me super pissy. Uncharted always has those fights later in the game that feel cheap to me.

I appreciated it after playing it and seeing where it led, but yeah, when that chapter started I was like "Are you fucking kidding me?"

dmshaposv

I think I have to admit that this game's pacing was a little all over the place. I appreciate downtime but there is only so much you can enjoy from traversal segment 1235.

That said, kudos to druckmann for the ending. 2/2 with tlou and this.

The ending of both these games was actually satisfying, and bittersweet in their own ways. Its a helluva better way to doing things than the garbage cliffhanger endings and cliche twists/heel turns you generally expect.

Horohoro

If I'm not mistaken, I think
it was revealed in Uncharted 3 that Drake wasn't his real surname? Or at least that his ancestry was made up, ergo Drake's Deception.
You are correct. That is when it is revealed his real name isn't drake. But it still amazes me ppl don't know his last name it's revealed a couple times through the game.

dralla

Yep, that fight had me super pissy. Uncharted always has those fights later in the game that feel cheap to me.

I thought that encounter was great.
Jumping downwards on the crow's nests of the ships while dodging enemy fire and grenades was awesome.
I was playing on moderate though.

While I love the game, do you know what's the biggest disappointment? [Post Game Spoiler]:
Skins don't let you play as any character, like the previous games (sans U3 original). I want to play as Elena DAMN IT!
It is pretty dissapointing, but I reckon it would be more problematic considering the cutscenes are now real time, and the animations per character (especially facial animations) are just too specific/detailed to simply transfer them over to another character model.

That being said, I do miss the wider selection of skins, though I wish they'd just include some of the legacy skins like they did for the MP.

Alpende

I have to say this is the first game that has me visually stunned. Some of the scenery is dropdead gorgeous and just stops me from playing to enjoy the views. Having a lot of fun with the photomode as well. I just arrived in
Madagascar
after Scotland and the views there are amazing.

I still need to get a better hang of the cover system, sometimes it feels a bit off. That's my only 'complaint' so far though. Great stuff so far.

dralla

I appreciated it after playing it and seeing where it led, but yeah, when that chapter started I was like "Are you fucking kidding me?"

I had the same reaction. I was pretty upset when that chapter started but I was surprisingly emotional by the end of it. I think your enjoyment of that chapter entirely depend on how emotionally invested you are in the series/characters. I can see why people wouldn't enjoy it.

I had the same reaction. I was pretty upset when that chapter started but I was surprisingly emotional by the end of it. I think your enjoyment of that chapter entirely depend on how emotionally invested you are in the series/characters. I can see why people wouldn't enjoy it.

End game spoilers:
That and the fact that it feels like you only have an hour or so left in the game when in reality it's about 4-5. The last stretch of the game would have been miserable without that break. I really wish it let you read the rest of the white notebook though.

I fully agree. Last of Us absolutely nailed the pacing. It's untouchable. Some say it's slow post-intro, but I disagree. Especially compared to this lol

That chapter you mentioned was so strange. And it felt like such a hamfist way to say "
Look guys, Sam lied, but he's really still a good bro"

It just feels rushed. they introduce sam this late in the series, so it's bound to feel rushed.

I actually liked that chapter though, because
exploring the house and bonding with Sam was fun

But it not only felt out of place, it dragged on incredibly long. The problem is that they try to lift LoU's scenes with Ellie and Riley, but that game was side content. We knew of Riley, but only got to know her in a side story that had its own pacing structure.

The worst thing about the chapter is the ending of it. They reveal
the old lady colleague, and she is awful. Totally lame character who SUDDENLY DIES RIGHT THERE AND THEN FOR NO DAMN REASON!
Like seriously!?

It was the cheesiest and poorest written thing to happen, JUST to push the ending of that scene, which was even more ridiculous. How do they
escape the grasps of police officers. Like come on, Drake was fully caught lol

I hated everything about that reveal. It tried to demonstrate why
Sam was so obsessed with Avery, and why he lied I guess, but it was never really brought up ever again.

Wollan

I haven't been able to bring up the cheese-method a second time for trying to get the Sharpshooter trophy. I quit just when chapter 1 starts but the Chapter Selection doesn't include everything anymore. I tried both Light and Crushing difficulty and I made sure I only had one save file prior to starting New Game. I got the Speedrun trophy by cheesing.

Nadine

What wasn't clear to me at the end though is what her motivations were. I guess she was just hired to bring the goons but at the beginning she seems interested as an explorer and not just a mercenary leader.

There's a convo with Elena actually about this,iirc she inherited the merc business from her father and she made a few bad calls,screwed up a couple of jobs and she was hoping the treasure was gonna put her company back on the map again.

I think avery's story was so much better than anything else that they did. There's just something so perfect with the piecing together of the story, finding the island, seeing the eerie cliff, etc

Much better than Shambala, and uc3.

The way you discover the ending sets is just breathtaking and awe inspiring. And it's all so much more grounded than finding Shambala with its guardians and all that.

There's something much more mature about avery's story.

Yeah, that's pretty much my opinion of the game as well (spoilers for the series)

I preferred the look of the lost kingdoms you find in UC2 and 3 (those first moments when you set foot in them are breath taking) but both games then hurray you along so damn fast that you can never appreaciate these places (especially UC2) and they chuck annoying bullet sponge enemies at you that just ruins the fun of the games...

However 4 avoids that issue entirely where they instead have you arrive at the pirate city way quicker and gives you some wonderful breathing room to explore the place (and its designed so damn well). Then there is the mystery you uncover as you go, it was actually interesting, few games actually grip me with their stories but the characters and story of UC4 did this incredibly well.

The only thing I didn't enjoy was the final boss. I felt they put that in because they had to have some kind of arbitrary final encounter to finish the game, I just didn't like the sword fighting controls at all. For some reason I had some serious issues getting the timings of the parrying down, and I was never sure if I was doing things too early, too late or just not hitting the right button... Then again, I didn't enjoy the final boss battles in any of the previous 4 Uncharted games (including the Vita version).

magawolaz

Speedrun. And sharpshooter if you hit with 70% of bullets in Prologue.
You will have to play Crushing the proper way.
I unlocked speedrun but sharpshooter isn't working for me. If I choose to carry over my stats my accuracy % stays low, if I don't carry them over I can't Chapter Select. What am I doing wrong?
I deleted every save except Save data 1 and Profile, do I need to delete Profile?

Finished after 17 hours.

Looks like a 10, feels and handles like a 10, plays like a 7.5.

I really enjoyed the character moments and the new swinging mechanic, but I can't say that much of the gameplay scenarios clicked for me. Its an ambitious labor of love to those characters, but isn't going to be one of my favorites when it comes to gameplay and replayability. Outside of a handful of encounters, combat and puzzling felt like small snacks there to shake up the traversal and conversations.

Am surprisingly elated and disappointed by UC4. But man, what a looker.

Top Bottom