• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Gotta say I really like the traversal in this. You can really pick up speed if you line up the stick correctly with the next handhold. Pressing x slows you down if you don't have to.

I'm sorry this is a statement directed to nobody. Aside from UC1 which was generally not as well designed, UC2 and UC3 were not wall to wall action. As a matter of fact, the scenic village sequence in UC2 is one of the most consistently referenced sequences for ND, laying the groundwork for nearly all the in-game storytelling and interactivity in UC3, TLOU, and UC4. The village scene found in the UC where you kill the most enemies. The UC that, btw, still has the best pacing. Most of the action sequences UC4 aren't any more important than any of the other dozens of fights where you dispatch a bunch of dumb mooks. Most of em are still mercs with no sense of self preservation busting into places and taking stuntman bumps so you can feel great about yourself. Only this time there's 45 minutes of tired asset tourism between those sequences.

And even if it's not combat but action in general, there's very little sense of momentum or build to any of the crazy stuff that happens in this game. You're walking and talking doing nothing for 20 minutes, the next moment everything's going to hell, then as soon as you blink you've already moved on to more mindless climbing. There was an elegance to the way UC2 (or TLOU for a more direct comparison) ebbed and flowed that's almost totally missing from UC4. I never felt the traversal or story sequences were padding as much as I did here. it starts slow and continuously derails its own momentum all the way to the end.

It's a great moment in UC 2 but it's one of the very few moments the game gives you any time to breath. That said, I couldn't believe just how much fighting occurs in 2 and at a constant clip after playing 4. Puzzles are neglected till toward the very end. While the game stepped up its action and set peices in a big way, it feels rather small in scale much like part 1 in setting. 3 introduced the globe trotting and more so with 4 and I think that element in 4 works even better the way the integrated vehicles.

I can confirm that the speed run trophy can still be glitched with the new patch out, but I did it differently than those who tried it earlier.

1. Backup all saves
2. Delete all saves minus your profile + the save file where you finished the game
3. Start a new game, difficulty doesn't matter as the crushing trophy didn't unlock for me
4. Quit out right after you start the prologue
5. Go to chapter select, pick epilogue and finish it
6. You should see the trophy pop up as soon as the credits start

I don't know how to get the sharpshooter trophy yet with the new patch out, so if anyone can shoot me any hints, I'm open to suggestions. :)

Besides that, I strongly suggest playing through the game on crushing with the tweaks as its a fair fight throughout the game.

Best wishes.

LiK

I can confirm that the speed run trophy can still be glitched with the new patch out, but I did it differently than those who tried it earlier.

1. Backup all saves
2. Delete all saves minus your profile + the save file where you finished the game
3. Start a new game, difficulty doesn't matter as the crushing trophy didn't unlock for me

I don't know how to get the sharpshooter trophy yet with the new patch out, so if anyone can shoot me any hints, I'm open to suggestions. :)

Besides that, I strongly suggest playing through the game on crushing with the tweaks as its a fair fight throughout the game.

Best wishes.

Check the comments in the original Reddit post for the glitch. Someone listed steps to get the Sharpshooter trophy.

dmshaposv

This is totally fair. I myself like games that mix up the pace. My issue with the down time in U4 is that it's filled to the brim with bog standard and mostly mindless traversal and bland chit chat. I like that they wanted to give us cool down time inbetween explosions, but wish they'd figured out how to make these in between sections more interesting. Looking at the scenery is nice, but only takes you so far.

As others have noted, I think TLoU did it better, in that you're scavenging for stuff that you may desperately need in the next encounter.

I play a lot of long RPGs that have a lot of downtime, but in these you're at least continually working on evolving your characters or improving your equipment. Don't think that's the solution for Uncharted though, shoehorned RPG mechanics don't do action games many favors. Maybe more involved puzzling? Or if they could figure out how to make the traversal more skill based without making it too difficult....

I think people just have an issue with the downtime in uncharted 4 is because we've had 3 games of the same environmental traversal/puzzles so it felt a little mundane.

In tlou, the world and environment was still fresh and scavenging for items was a real neccessity. I'd like to see how downtime is recieved in the sequel.

Unknown?

Gotta say I really like the traversal in this. You can really pick up speed if you line up the stick correctly with the next handhold. Pressing x slows you down if you don't have to.
Yeah traversal and platforming segments are greatly improved over previous games IMO!

Liamc723

1. Backup all saves

Best wishes.

I've tried this so many times but it just doesn't work for me. My timer once starting the epilogue never resets.

nib95

Banned
Ok, this fucking shipyard graveyard battle on crushing is infuriating. Talk about shitty difficulty spike. A few things it's shown me about the mechanics that are just cheap as shit. Firstly, grenades are not only pin point precise in a stupidly ridiculous way (they can even aim to exactly where I am underwater as well apparently), but the shit tracks you as well. After an enemy has thrown a grenade, if you're moving, it still semi homes in on your location, which I'm sorry is bullshit. The moment they throw it, it shouldn't move from the point they aimed at the time of the throw.

Secondly, whilst on other encounters this was never a problem, they need to have separate buttons for cover and roll. Too many times in this encounter has my character taken cover instead of rolled.

Thirdly, you should be able to regenerate underwater. As is, it seems like you stay in a constant bout of grey out if underwater. At least let me partially regenerate or something.

Lastly, give me back grenade throw. If enemies are going to be throwing pin point accurate grenades every 10 seconds from all directions in a level where all your cover is destructible, at least let me throw the shit back at them.

Anyway, now I've sort of got a strategy down I should be able to do it, but fuck me has it been utterly frustrating.

RDreamer

I'm sorry this is a statement directed to nobody. Aside from UC1 which was generally not as well designed, UC2 and UC3 were not wall to wall action. As a matter of fact, the scenic village sequence in UC2 is one of the most consistently referenced sequences for ND, laying the groundwork for nearly all the in-game storytelling and interactivity in UC3, TLOU, and UC4. The village scene found in the UC where you kill the most enemies. The UC that, btw, still has the best pacing. Most of the action sequences UC4 aren't any more important than any of the other dozens of fights where you dispatch a bunch of dumb mooks. Most of em are still mercs with no sense of self preservation busting into places and taking stuntman bumps so you can feel great about yourself. Only this time there's 45 minutes of tired asset tourism between those sequences.

And even if it's not combat but action in general, there's very little sense of momentum or build to any of the crazy stuff that happens in this game. You're walking and talking doing nothing for 20 minutes, the next moment everything's going to hell, then as soon as you blink you've already moved on to more mindless climbing. There was an elegance to the way UC2 (or TLOU for a more direct comparison) ebbed and flowed that's almost totally missing from UC4. I never felt the traversal or story sequences were padding as much as I did here. it starts slow and continuously derails its own momentum all the way to the end.

As much as I love UC4 for what it does right (it may just end up as my top one or two of these games once I finished it), I have to agree with this. I think there's a fundamental misunderstanding of the complaint if people really think the complainers want balls to the wall action all the time. For fuck's sake I beat Life is Strange not terribly long ago and I loved that. I can handle non-action. I love non-action stuff. I don't mind taking in the scenery.

Along with what you said, the problem I had with the less action is just that you can't and don't ever really get into the swing of things and latch onto the new combat mechanics until you're nearly done with the game. There's simply no real streak of time to kind of dig in. You blink and it's all out shit hits the fan and then blink again and it's gone. There's no wind up or cool down for a lot of the game and that hinders the gameplay in a big way.

Megasoum

Banned
Guys I just realized something... Rafe is basically this guy...

twister-1.jpg

Small Chapter 10 spoiler
The scene of him talking on the phone in the Jeep in Madagascar pretty much confirmed it lol

Cyborg

After the
diving
mission, when you surface and talk to the man in charge he says " my man (with a smile)" I swear it was a reference to Trainings Day and "my N"

For I sec I thought I saw Denzel. Did anyone else notice this?

The Lamp

As much as I love UC4 for what it does right (it may just end up as my top one or two of these games once I finished it), I have to agree with this. I think there's a fundamental misunderstanding of the complaint if people really think the complainers want balls to the wall action all the time. For fuck's sake I beat Life is Strange not terribly long ago and I loved that. I can handle non-action. I love non-action stuff. I don't mind taking in the scenery.

Along with what you said, the problem I had with the less action is just that you can't and don't ever really get into the swing of things and latch onto the new combat mechanics until you're nearly done with the game. There's simply no real streak of time to kind of dig in. You blink and it's all out shit hits the fan and then blink again and it's gone. There's no wind up or cool down for a lot of the game and that hinders the gameplay in a big way.

Correct once again. It's not about wanting 100% guns blazing all the way through the campaign, but the pacing was anything but elegant in the way it carried you through the gameplay. It was actually really sloppy and untuned. None of the gun fights, as was said, match the impact and the perfect pacing of Lazarevic's army destroying Tenzin's village. U4's mechanics may be more polished but they're underutilized and poorly placed.

I like playing on hard more than moderate. Felt like I was invincible on moderate. Barely ever died. Fights pre-Chapter 13 just didn't have that tension. Hard is better.

Loris146

Correct once again. It's not about wanting 100% guns blazing all the way through the campaign, but the pacing was anything but elegant in the way it carried you through the gameplay. It was actually really sloppy and untuned. None of the gun fights, as was said, match the impact and the perfect pacing of Lazarevic's army destroying Tenzin's village. U4's mechanics may be more polished but they're underutilized and poorly placed.

That gunfight was too "long" . Too many enemies in my opinion. Same for the last part of the game.

Ogni-XR21

I really prefer the road they took with UC4's encounters. When playing UC1 for the first time my initial reaction was that I would love a game like this without the shooter elements. While I got better after a while and even ended up enjoying the encounters in 1-3 many of them were much too long and just wouldn't end. I have another 2 friends who I know play on easy or even explorer mode because they don't care about the shooting parts at all.

But even for me, as someone who plays these games despite the TPS elements, can totally understand how some think it's too little shooting in this one. It would be great if the difficulty setting increased the enemy count so you would have hardly any encounters on the easy side while the hard modes have more meat to it.

To me UC4 felt perfectly balanced and I think the more casual gamers that get into this due to the hype surrounding it are probably more like me than the standard gaf'er-

Gun Animal

There was a moment playing this game, where I shot a guy, jumped off a cliff opposite gunfire, roped around to the underside of a cliff, shot a guy in midair and punched out another guy on my way down where I thought to myself "this is probably the best game I have ever played"

Idk if it's GOAT (probably not, but I need some time to think about it) but I definately think it'll be GOTY for most people when all's said.

You know it kinda disappointed me although it wasn't a big deal at was that there wasn't a supernatural aspect in this game like the previous three. I kinda liked those.

Spacebar

Just finished the game and it was awesome! Great job, Naughty Dog! I can't believe there have been 4 mainline games already. It feels like yesterday when I picked up Uncharted 1 and was blown away. Bring on TLOU2!

xray49er

I am up to chapter 9 and at first I was like where are the fire fights but they started to pick up and I am realizing I don't want to shoot I just want to explore and traverse cliffs and solve puzzles. I hate all types of stealth so I hope it's not like this all the way through. Everything else about this game is suoerb

I am up to chapter 9 and at first I was like where are the fire fights but they started to pick up and I am realizing I don't want to shoot I just want to explore and traverse cliffs and solve puzzles. I hate all types of stealth so I hope it's not like this all the way through. Everything else about this game is suoerb

If you don't like stealth I don't think there's really any areas that require it. You can shootbang through all of the encounters

Tbh I thought chapters 8-11 had amazing pacing with great gameplay and narrative variety. It had the build up you want with a sprinkle of everything. I was in love. I hope the rest of the game can go along that structure but your post makes me doubt that. I'm beginning 14 and the pacing is getting on my nerves a bit.

High Rise

Neo Member
Why naughty dog greyed out crushing difficulty, yet made it selectable is beyond me, I didn't even try to select it! So frustrating when you find out half way through that you only needed one playthrough for all the difficulty trophies!!!

nib95

Banned
Anyone have any advice on how to best the ship graveyard on crushing? I just can't get past the final two armoured heavy chain gun wielders. There's not enough ammo left around for me by the end, and what little there is is a suicide mission to get to.

Does this happen? (Uncharted 4 Story Trailer)

I saved Nate way before reaching the end of the river... or maybe I have bad memory.

Probably edited due to story reasons, you are
with Elena in that section
so they definitely wouldn't want to spoil that.

Anyone have any advice on how to best the ship graveyard on crushing? I just can't get past the final two armoured heavy chain gun wielders. There's not enough ammo left around for me by the end, and what little there is is a suicide mission to get to.

I feel unless you are really skilled, Crushing is better played with modifiers on, or at least with full auto aim.

"How do we get to you!? You are over this wall!"

Literally 10 seconds ago, I was swinging around with my rope.

I love the rope, but nathan conveniently seems to forget it sometimes

Timeaisis

It'll only ramp up from there, but I had similar thoughts. UC2's arenas are not as large, but they're big enough to play around in, and I felt like a complete badass running around and killing fools. I finished UC4 and I felt way more vulnerable and played it safe way more than in the previous Uncharted games as a result, which imo isn't as fun. Shooting still feels great though, and the level designs in the encounters are easily some of the best in the series -- albeit feeling compelled not to take full advantage of them sometimes because the enemies were so aggressive.

Yeah, that's how I'm feeling. I'm playing it way too safe because enemies are just complete bullet sponges. So I'm not even taking advantage of the arenas (and when I am, I'm dying a lot haha).

I think I actually managed to set every single one off. Every. Single. One. Ugh

Same here. I think its Not possible to Not Set them off :D

At least the lovely cutscene afterwards with
elena playing dead and afterwards kissing nate
made up for it. Im Still amazed how seamless the gameplay turns into cutscenes and back.

TimFL

That god damn "Dynamite mummies everywhere"
Part in i think it was chapter
.... Are you serious? No fun at all.

Got all trophies except the collectibles and difficulty ones (speed run and sharpshooter already done, thank god). I'm currently on my crushing playthrough (chapter 10) + collectibles and I'm absolutely sweating at the thought of chapter
19/mummy
. Was pretty insane on my light playthrough so f*** me... probably a lot of checkpoint reloads coming up.

Auto-aim and game tweaks made my crushing playthrough a breeze so far though... thanks ND for realizing that artificial difficulty is no fun.

The MP is kind of meh, I'm not into the arcade style. Hope the upcoming co-op modes are interesting.

Lol at this ludonarrative dissonance trophy

It's pretty easy to get because it has a hidden internal stat tracker for it. Even if your stats reset (encounter/chapter select or new game) it still adds up in the background. Had mine pop a few chapters into my crushing playthrough.

Finalow

eh, got to chapter 14.
Libertalia
is beautiful. this whole game is, best looking game on PS4 etc.
playing it on hard and it's not really hard, but I suppose I'm fine with that.

so far I would have liked more puzzles and not to see most of them using the same trick ''gotta match the thing with the light''. platforming is even worse in that regard but I wasn't expecting much variety there. the grappling hook is a nice addition though.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
I hope ND next game doesn't follow Left Behind/ Uncharted 4 footsteps in terms of game design and pacing and goes back to what were they doing in Uncharted 2 and TLOU

I hope ND next game doesn't follow Left Behind/ Uncharted 4 footsteps in terms of game design and pacing and goes back to what were they doing in Uncharted 2 and TLOU

The Last of Us has an insane amount of slower moments, just like Uncharted 4.

I do think those moments were paced better in that game though. And it felt more natural in that game's world. People's expectations for an Uncharted game are different.

Oh, and I said this earlier in the thread, but I absolutely believe Left Behind is ND's new template going forward. I wouldn't be surprised if their next IP has very little combat.

oti

Banned
Finished it yesterday and I already miss the game.
THERE WAS NO SPOILER HERE

Multiplayer is awesome though.

Ravage

Just finished it a moment ago and wow...this is definitely my favourite in the series. I'll sum up my thoughts in 5 points.

1. Graphics are simply phenomenal, especially the beautiful environments.

2. Rave is the hands down the best villain in the series. I really like Nadine too.

3. Platforming is greatly improved thanks to the rope, slides and pickaxe.

I'm so glad no one died in the end. Took me by surprise actually lol

I also like how there's no supernatural stuff this time round. Breaks up the formula abit.

Top Bottom