• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Xeteh

Just finished.

Best UC game by far, pacing was a perfect blend of action/story/exploring/platforming. I actually shed a few tears throughout the ending, I didn't expect to have it hit you right in the feels.

9/10, only because no game is perfect.

10/10 shouldn't mean a game is perfect, it should just mean its really fucking good.

Superflat

It's even better on the second play through

I'm less anxious about the pacing and not knowing what awaits and I'm just soaking it all in

Going through my second playthrough now, and I agree.

In my case, releases that I truly, highly anticipate (can only think of precious few things that reach this category), I almost always finish with conflicting feelings because the entire way through I'm analyzing what is happening vs what I'm anticipating vs what I'm expecting. Now that I know the character arcs, the story, and more familiar with the combat, going through for a second time is a blast since now I'm just enjoying it for what it is. I wonder what I'll think of the pacing after this.

ZeroX03

Banned
3 had the water that made you hallucinate so while the demons that appeared was only in Nate's mind it still counts.

I don't think that counts. It was a twist on expectations.
It was chemicals, not the supernatural. The closest it came to anything truly supernatural was the sandstorm.

VinFTW

Just beat the game.

Just... perfect. Definitely Naughty Dogs Magnum Opus.

I think it just might beat out UC2 as the best UC game, IMO. It's super close though, almost equal. In terms of action and stuff, UC2 wins, but the overall story, plot, Avery, etc is much better/engaging/thrilling in this one.

The feels man. So good. God damn. GOTY

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
It was chemicals, not the supernatural. The closest it came to anything truly supernatural was the sandstorm.

I count it.
I'm wondering if that was a compromise that was made with Amy? And since U4 doesn't have anything resembling a supernatural twist it seems likely.

We're just gonna disagree on this cause I think it counts. The water wasn't natural at all.

cyba89

I think avery's story was so much better than anything else that they did. There's just something so perfect with the piecing together of the story, finding the island, seeing the eerie cliff, etc

Much better than Shambala, and uc3.

I'm at chapter 20 now and can agree on this. The whole pirate story is pretty cool.
And I say that as someone who mostly didn't give a crap about the treasure stories in the past games.

I've spent so much time just walking around in chapter 4, taking in every detail (and taking ten thousand fucking screenshots). I just want to spend time there. Not only does it do a fantastic job of showing you someone's life, it makes it look easy. Already I feel way more connected to these characters than I did in the previous games. (Not that I hold it against those, as they just weren't really going for the same kind of thing.)

I can't wrap my mind around how sections like this could be considered "slow."

Wollan

Also, the music is just great. Why did people dislike it?
The music really picks up in an excellent way in the last handful of chapters with the action scenes having a real Pirates of the Caribbean feel and the emotional scenes having the right musical cues. That final shot... It was largely unnoticeable for the majority of the game prior though it had some nice subtle instances now and then like chapter 1 rooftop climb and starting the adventure.

ZeroX03

Banned
I count it.
I'm wondering if that was a compromise that was made with Amy? And since U4 doesn't have anything resembling a supernatural twist it seems likely.

Uncharted was getting progressively less supernatural as the series went on, Uncharted 1 was straight monsters, 2 was mutations, 3 was a fake out. I think this was the natural conclusion.

We're just gonna disagree on this cause I think it counts. The water wasn't natural at all.

So Talbot's poisons weren't natural either? Hallucinations and mind altering substances were a running theme in that game.

Blobbers

Finished this bastard. 21 hours on crushing, until chapter
, where I lowered to medium cause that shit was way too hard.

Very good game. I'd put it behind Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us. I thought both these games were better paced and had a better story. Well, more fun story maybe, In Uncharted 2's case. Uncharted 2 had more balls to the wall action and that's the kind of UC experience I prefer. I thought the E3 demo sequence was by far the best part of Uncharted 4.

I really enjoy replaying the first 3 UC games from time to time, always a lot of fun. I wonder how this one will hold up to multiple playthroughs.
I agree with however said it'll be interesting to see what people think of Uncharted 4 in the coming 2-3 months, once the honeymoon period passes.

MattyG

Banned
I'm a fucking idiot and only just now realized why [Ending Spoilers]
her name is Cassie. Got some dust in my eyes over here.

Wollan

End game spoiler:
Maybe the next 'Uncharted' game should be something like Afrika and focus on D & F Fortunes, the company they have set up in the epilogue. I would love for them to re-use the Uncharted 4 environments for a Virtual Reality exploration/Pokemon Snap title. These assets are just too good...

mishakoz

Uncharted was getting progressively less supernatural as the series went on, Uncharted 1 was straight monsters, 2 was mutations, 3 was a fake out. I think this was the natural conclusion.

So Talbot's poisons weren't natural either? Hallucinations and mind altering substances were a running theme in that game.

I'm just gonna say that Iram was a spotless city seemingly untouched by a magical sandstorm that surrounded it, and you also have the spiders which protected the puzzle pieces. So yeah, maybe less supernatural then before, but still supernatural.

Unbelievable game. Absolute Masterpiece in every way. I'm really sad now because it's going to be a loooong time before another Naughty Dog game is in my hands.

Completion time: 14:56.

I wish I'd embraced it longer. Well time to play it again, and multiplayer.

Pretty big near-ending spoilers.

If
Sam had died, it would have been a heinous cop-out. It would have been what Hollywood has taught you to expect.

Hollywood's completely generic story layout:

First act: Emotional investment. Suggestion of romance. One character set up as the emotional scapegoat. Bad guys set up as bad guys.
Second act: Development. Romance turns bittersweet. Bad guys start winning. Get to know emotional scapegoat better.
Third act: Payoff. Romance 'is won' in the end. Bad guys lose unequivocally. Emotional scapegoat is killed off to catalyse the experience.

That scene
when Sam almost drowns and Nate saves him is my favourite scene in the game. I was thinking "Well, here we go, they're going to kill him off and do the generic thing." Then Nate's like "Wait a minute, no!" and saves him because he's Nathan Drake, Sam doesn't die because this isn't a hollywood movie.

It was so great.
I would like to know which Hollywood movies you are watching
which actually have downer endings. sam not dying then is one of the most Hollywood/Marvel things this game does. It is actually more generic to have him live as he is a main character who rarely die in films and games. Total plot armour moment.

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm just gonna say that Iram was a spotless city seemingly untouched by a magical sandstorm that surrounded it, and you also have the spiders which protected the puzzle pieces. So yeah, maybe less supernatural then before, but still supernatural.

Like I said, the sandstorm is the most supernatural element of the game. Mass spider colonies taking over entire areas is actually a thing.

This is the most accomplished Uncharted game in the series.

The AI is finally at a point to make encounters feel more alive and accomadate different strategies and approaches. The rest of the games lacked this which is something i think is needed for a shooter to be heralded as "best of the best".

The expanded traversal options also help to mitigate the combat monotony in a significant way. Combating the monotony is helped by the game actually having more subdued moments and segments dedicated to exploration. As is not always neccessary to have the game in the highest note to satisfy an adolescent power fantasy,m in this sense the games feels like a more mature experience.

It's clear that Uncharted 4 marked the landmark where Naughty Dog just not learned from their past mistakes but actually took action and corrected a lot of them producing a game close to realize the full potential of its concept.

It's even better on the second play through

I'm less anxious about the pacing and not knowing what awaits and I'm just soaking it all in
Agreed mostly. The only thing I feel has less of an impact the second time through its
the tension between Nathan and his family. Not knowing what was going to happen between Nathan and Elena was a highlight for me. But that's pretty much the deal with any media you consume multiple times :)

nib95

Banned
OMG finally. Took a break from the ship graveyard (crushing), came back and did it first time! Found a great spot at the rear the enemies couldn't get to me, saved up all my nades and blew the shit out of the two big chain gun goons. Phew.

End game spoiler:
Maybe the next 'Uncharted' game should be something like Afrika and focus on D & F Fortunes, the company they have set up in the epilogue. I would love for them to re-use the Uncharted 4 environments for a Virtual Reality exploration/Pokemon Snap title. These assets are just too good...
If Sony has its way
it'll probably be another prequel type with Nate and Sully back as the leads like Golden Abyss. If Naughty Dog has any input, I could see it being a Sam themed adventure like what Gears of War tried to do with Judgment although his shot at the lead may come with the dlc.

Yo fuck this shit

I'm at
Avery's Mansion

Fuck fuck fuck

They throw like twenty guys at you all at once starting with the minigunner and two snipers in the second floor. And because it's Crushing you can't stay put long because these asshole will start chucking infinite grenades. And just in case you take down the minigunner, more armored assholes start showing up with more fodder goons

Who ever thought this was well balanced was high as fuck

I'm glad I came in with the China lake from the last encounter cause I don't know what I would do against the minigunner with any other gun

I would like to know which Hollywood movies you are watching
which actually have downer endings. sam not dying then is one of the most Hollywood/Marvel things this game does. It is actually more generic to have him live as he is a main character who rarely die in films and games. Total plot armour moment.

I expected Sam to have
a Golem, Lord of the Rings death

shiba5

Like I said, the sandstorm is the most supernatural element of the game. Mass spider colonies taking over entire areas is actually a thing.

Yeah, but wasn't the water cursed because there was a bottle of Djinn in it? (Get it? Bottle of... never mind.)

Yo fuck this shit

I'm at
Avery's Mansion

Fuck fuck fuck

They throw like twenty guys at you all at once starting with the minigunner and two snipers in the second floor. And because it's Crushing you can't stay put long because these asshole will start chucking infinite grenades. And just in case you take down the minigunner, more armored assholes start showing up with more fodder goons

I'm glad I came in with the China lake from the last encounter cause I don't know what I would do against the minigunner with any other gun

I don't think Crushing is meant to be balanced.

When you play on the hardest difficulty, you should expect some incredibly cheap moments. It's one of the reasons they allow you to use cheats.

Yo fuck this shit

I'm at
Avery's Mansion

Fuck fuck fuck

Does the game let you use bonus unlocks? Because I see that in the bonus unlocks, I can choose whichever loadout I want. when I play crushing, I do not want to part with my Barok pistol and rpgs

Well the game as done something no other game as done before, I've just done Chapter 17, and for the first time in a video game i started to feel slightly emotional, Throat tightened for sure.

(well at the start of that chapter)

Neiteio

Played up through Ch. 11.

Highlight so far has been (Ch. 10 settings)
the Madagascar wilderness
. There's so much more in this chapter that they didn't show in previews, and overall this chapter has been the most engaging mechanically, with lots of driving, at least five sandbox-style encounters, and exploration that feels meaningful since the world is at least semi-open. Also, it's breathtakingly beautiful here, even by this game's lofty standards. Standing atop a waterfall and looking across the landscape, Nate or Sam comments on the humidity, and you can practically taste it in the air, the way the mist lingers from the waterfall and shimmers in the sun.

I also really liked the whole
clocktower in Ch. 11
. And all of the puzzles so far have been pretty good, and it feels like there's been quite a few of them, too.

I wish my run through the E3 setpiece had gone more smoothly, though. Took me forever to get past the (Ch. 11)
market
; it's not always clear to me when they just want me to run. And I'm not sure if it's possible to do the (Ch. 11)
dragging sequence
during the
convoy chase
without constantly getting shot so that your screen is ringed in red.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the game, but the pacing is a bit concerning to me. I want to show this to a non-gamer friend, but I'm concerned the lackadaisical "platforming" may tucker them out. The (Ch. 8 or 9)
caves and catacombs of Scotland
seem to go on forever and ever. I enjoyed it, although I wonder if I'll still enjoy it on a second playthrough without the story acting as bait...

ZeroX03

Banned
Yeah, but wasn't the water cursed because there was a bottle of Djinn in it? (Get it? Bottle of... never mind.)

Who knows what was in there? Plenty of substances can contaminate water and fuck with the human brain. That was intentional on the part of the game.

I don't think Crushing is meant to be balanced.

When you play on the hardest difficulty, you should expect some incredibly cheap moments. It's one of the reasons they allow you to use cheats.

Does the game let you use bonus unlocks? Because I see that in the bonus unlocks, I can choose whichever loadout I want. when I play crushing, I do not want to part with my Barok pistol and rpgs
Still my first playthrough.

That's good to know though. Man I've come this far, I'm not about to back down yet.

Nev

Banned
God, the encounter design is so fucking god, really. I thought the shipwreck from Uncharted 3 was the best encounter from all of the games but 4 really blew me away because they took that very thing as a reference and made combat and design around it for every single encounter except a couple. The open sandboxy arena philosophy was absolutely the best design choice they made in the game.

The big lounge with the chandelier hanging in the middle or the half-sunken palace
for instance are just delightful, but really all of them were immensely enjoyable. It helps that Drake's movement is so fluid and responsive and the animations and transitions are incredible. Plenty of "wow" moments that turned out so awesome, I couldn't believe they weren't scripted.

Definitely one of the best third person shooters out there in terms of gameplay and presentation. I just wish they introduced more enemy types earlier, like in previous games. Oh and that they used such amazing mechanics/controls to make some actually challenging platforming.

Top Bottom