• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

TimFL

Never played 3. I should pick that up and beat if before playing 4, right?

No go straight to 4.
/s

There's a reason they released the UC ND Collection, you can only have the ultimate experience if you played UC1-3.

Currently chapter 11 on my crushing/collectibles playthrough... what a goddamn chore to get every single collectible. I'll probably be burned out after I'm done with the platinum trophy... glad that I already got every other trophy (including the MP ones) so I can experience that sweet platinum pop after the credits.

Wabba

14-16 is the worst stretch of the game. I was just flabbergasted that they decided to follow up two boring chapters with a fucking
young Drake flashback.

17-20 is amazing though.

What 14-16 is imo maybe the best parts of the game.
The mystery behind the pirates and uncovering more of the story, when the tower was crumbling, the Nadine fight and chapter 16 is amazing and gives more depth to Samuel.

Hyoukokun

I dont know if I liked that
Nadine just disappears in the end. I feel as if ND didnt want to kill her off, but why not? Why would she be okay with Nate having killed so many of her men? She deserved to die.

I don't know.
Nadine was portrayed pretty consistently as a fairly honorable, rational enemy. She wasn't OK with Nate having killed her men per se, but I think she realized that there was an element of self-defense in it. And they established this aspect of her character very early on; in her introductory scene with Sully it was made clear that Sully had previously crossed or thwarted her in some way and she remained pretty level-headed about that.

I also think that keeping her around was a pragmatic choice. She's an interesting character and we didn't get to fully explore her story in the main game. I would not be surprised if she showed up in the upcoming single-player DLC.

In terms of her "deserving to die" - I don't see anything she did as being particularly more evil or amoral than what Tean Drake did during the course of the game. We naturally sympathize with the Nathan and co. since the story is told from their perspective, but let's think about this:

- Sam kicked off the hunt on false premises, out of a combination of ego and greed.
- Nate's not blameless in terms of deception either - he tried to deceive his own wife about the nature of the expedition. This is perhaps more understandable but still a Really Bad Idea, as even Sully and Sam pointed out to him repeatedly.
- The method that Team Drake chose to get the first major clue (the intact cross) was arguably more underhanded than Nadine and Rafe's method, even if they did justify it as 'stealing from thieves'
- A lot of at least semi-innocent bystanders (security at the auction) were killed by Sam and Nate during their escape.
- We know that Rafe bought up the area around the cathedral in Scotland. Sam and Nate were trespassing there.

I can give Nate a pass here given Sam's deception, but I'd argue that Sam was at least less moral than Nadine here in a lot of ways. On her side of things, working for Rafe is clearly a bad call, and Shoreline's actions in Madagascar are pretty inexcusable. I'm not sure she is unquestionably worse than the protagonists, though.

Forsete

Completed this masterpiece earlier today.

Best, most polished game I have ever played.

10/10.

Thank you ND.

Now for round 2.

The mystery behind the pirates and uncovering more of the story, when the tower was crumbling, the Nadine fight and chapter 16 is amazing and gives more depth to Samuel.
15 was one of my favorite parts in the game. Not only do you get the Sam reveal but you also have Rafe gleefully telling Nate what really happened. Also the part where Nate brings the hammer down on Nadine from up above is hilarious even though I could see that happening from a mile away once he got knocked out of the room.

-MD-

Gonna start chapter 10 in a bit here.

Chapters 8 and 9 reminded me of Rise of the Tomb Raider, easily the most dull portion of the game so far. I'm just glad to be out of that setting.

15 was one of my favorite parts in the game. Not only do you get the Sam reveal but you also have Rafe gleefully telling Nate what really happened. Also the part where Nate brings the hammer down on Nadine from up above is hilarious even though I could see that happening from a mile away once he got knocked out of the room.

Plus we had that badass line where
nadine tells nathan she's not about to walk away and then sam jumps down and says, "That'd be the wise thing to do"

Rixxan

Chapter 8 and 9 was basically a heavy serving of the "meat and potatoes" that Straley talks about so often - I appreciated it

Not getting the hate for Chapter 16 at all,
that break in the action unveiled some history and cleared up some motivations, and it was rather suspenseful on top of that.

Wollan

I unlocked speedrun but sharpshooter isn't working for me. If I choose to carry over my stats my accuracy % stays low, if I don't carry them over I can't Chapter Select. What am I doing wrong?
I deleted every save except Save data 1 and Profile, do I need to delete Profile?
I actually have the same issue (see above). I spoke a bit too soon earlier as I read someone else got it. Maybe we had only one chance to do it (simultaneously with speedrun trophy) ?

I think that the Last of Us is a better game, but I think the story, and characters of Uncharted 4 makes me enjoy it more. It was the combat sequences in 4 that just weren't great.

Rafe was an amazing villain too, and I really enjoyed Nadine. One thing I swore was going to happen was
Rafe killing Nadine
but it never did so I was pleasantly surprised. Nadine had one of the best lines too with
"and if he does manage to get out alive with the treasure than he probably deserves it."
Makes her seems much more real, opposed to the regular villain.

Plus we had that badass line where
nadine tells nathan she's not about to walk away and then sam jumps down and says, "That'd be the wise thing to do"
Oh right lol,
it's such a Indiana Jones type scene where they feel they have the upper hand and she still manages to handle both of them.

Ishida

Banned
I think the only thing that bothered me on a technical level was that the lantern's light would follow the camera instead of Nate's character model. It looks extremely weird to see the light coming out of Nate's back when the lantern is pointing forward... o_O

Chapter 8 and 9 was basically a heavy serving of the "meat and potatoes" that Straley talks about so often - I appreciated it

Not getting the hate for Chapter 16 at all,
that break in the action unveiled some history and cleared up some motivations, and it was rather suspenseful on top of that.

Wait, people didn't like Chapter 16? What the hell?

That was probably one of the most
emotional chapters
in the game for me...opposed to
22 and Epilogue

they need to start banning the people that leaves rank games for 30 minutes to an hour.. every time im in one of these things the losing team just exits.

Dave1988

I actually have the same issue (see above). I spoke a bit too soon earlier as I read someone else got it. Maybe we had only one chance to do it (simultaneously with speedrun trophy) ?

Here's how I got sharpshooter yesterday (taken from playstationtrophies.org)

kawasumimai said:
It's a glitch. Finally I did it again. Here are my steps.

1. Back up all saves
2. Delete all saves except for profile and the save you beat game on
3. Star a new game making a new save
4. Start the Prologue then quit after few seconds.
5. Load the Epilogue then the system always will ask you to make a save (always for me ). Then press O and it will say ......Start this chapter without saving? Press YES. Then quit after few seconds.
6. Now go to Encoumer select and select a place to start the game. When you press option you should see some additional options such as save game, load game.
7. Get 70 act and save it, then quit. So you will keep this stat.

PS: I play with Patch 1.02
PS2: It only works once, the second time the options such as save and lord will disappear.

Edited:
When you use chapter sletce that will always ask you to make a save ( always for me). Press O then press YES. Quit after few seconds and go to play encoumer. You can save your progress now.
I'm pretty sure now. I can do it how many times as I will.

Note that you have to wait for the credits to end for the trophy to pop.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Finished the game at about 3am last night after playing for about 5 hours straight. Overall length of the game was pretty decent for me but I'm the kind of person who will literally run around for minutes at a time just taking in the environments or will replay a segment if I thought I missed seeing something really important because I was staring at something else. I'd say with deaths and my first play through on hard the game probably got me 16 to 17 hours of time even though the in game clock had it less than that.

Overall I like where they took the game even if I wasn't expecting exactly how it would play out. For all the grim advertising I thought the game overall was actually pretty light and fun for the most part and the series has always been kind of like this but after TLoU and all the adverts of somebody clinging to someone else's hand while hanging off a ledge while things explode and get shot around them gave me another impression initially. However the game tended to play fast and loose with a lot of this, even going meta a lot of times with some of the jokes or comments by the characters themselves after surviving some insane situation.

That said I actually felt this game was both the most restrained of the Uncharted games but also the one that gives the story the most room to breath. The intensity isn't there and instead we're allowed to roam a lot more at our leisure and whether that is break neck through everything or trying to take your time and stealth unseen through every section, I liked that a lot, a bit more personal that was as you do it as you see fit. The older games were constantly shoving you through tons of intense set pieces, shoot outs and what not, entire levels or sections of the games were based on this like the cruise ship in UC3 and the train in UC2.

In fact I felt they purposefully get this one more grounded as it reflected the more mature tone of the story and the fact the characters were acting a bit more self aware of their actions and life styles. I liked it but I can see why some are disappointed as the PS3 games were a different beast with different priorities, more roller coasters with extreme contrasts between the slow and story filled moments and the actions adventure pieces, and they often came hard and fast compared to the long country drive along the scenic route that UC4.

I'm still processing everything and I definitely have a list of things I was not happy about including some of the pacing, how they handled certain events and characters in the game (mostly the villains) and some minor quibbles with their puzzle elements and game play loop but I still really loved the game and its probably one of the finest crafted pieces of gaming we've ever had.

Made it to chapter 10, having fun just
driving
around and looking for treasure.
Found that cave behind the waterfall that has a treasure and a note in it and when I returned to the jeep Nate told the others about it.
Lots of little touches like this throughout, fantastic stuff.

Pryce

How in the ever living fuck do you beat that final boss? I have no clue how to counter his attacks. Been stuck for 45 minutes.

Elitist1945

How in the ever living fuck do you beat that final boss? I have no clue how to counter his attacks. Been stuck for 45 minutes.

Triangle for left attacks, circle for right, square to attack/when prompted. I found it really hard too, though.

Caja 117

Took me 15 hours on my first ride, my favorite Uncharted hands down, I wanted an Uncharted game with less Shooting and more puzzles and exploring and this game delivers for me. add to this how beautiful this game looks and is a pleasure to play it, I might trade in my physical copy to go Digital on this one as I usually dont keep games like this, but U4 is just so fun and beautiful.

f@luS

More than a member.
I feel empty after finishing this game. It made my whole week. It was an uncharted week. Balancing my daily agenda for 5 days. I'll miss you. This is why I like SP more than Mp game. But this one was so good that I don't want to play anything beside heir next game. I need to finish ratchet which I am halfway , dark soul 3, but this game is still too much in my mind I just can't focus on anything else now

Wagram

I really liked it the most when it wasn't trying to be Uncharted. There are scenes like the
Madagascar set piece
that are amazing of course. However, a lot of the
Libertalia
stuff was repetitive. Not bad, but repetitive. I really liked the moments when we were hanging back telling backstory and actually moving the narrative. I really loved that we finally got to spend a large amount of time with Elena again as well.

It is. It has more story depth than the last 3 uncharteds combined.

14 was great.
Libertalia was cool and interesting to explore, and the latter parts provide some of the best encounters of the game. The level design of this chapter is staggering. I had a lot of fun. It's definitely on par with the sunken ruins level and the ship graveyard towards the end. I have a positive opinion of chapter 15 too. We discovered more on the mystery behind the pirates, the tower set piece was impressive, I liked the encounter with Nadine, and the reveal with Sam was engaging.

16 was a good break and adds a lot to the characters. Kinda Left Behind-ish moment. However, I think it was a bit too long.

Man, the look on my face when I played chapter 17 and 18, especially 17. This chapter hit me hard. It was so soothing and beautiful on so many points.

I feel empty after finishing this game. It made my whole week. It was an uncharted week. Balancing my daily agenda for 5 days. I'll miss you. This is why I like SP more than Mp game. But this one was so good that I don't want to play anything beside heir next game. I need to finish ratchet which I am halfway , dark soul 3, but this game is still too much in my mind I just can't focus on anything else now

yuuup

finishing a really good single player game always fucks me up for a couple days

Finished it earlier today and enjoyed it a lot. Such a well-crafted experience. Chapter 16 was very effective in terms of exposition and pacing.

UpwindPoet24

Neo Member
I cried at the epilogue. First time I've ever done that playing a game. Just 1 tear tho. Incredible closure to the characters and story. 10/10 leading GOTY candidate for me so far.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So in one of the late missions what did people think was going to happen when
Nate's flashlight battery starts to die in the underground booby trapped escape route? When it really starts to die and can't be saved and you are deep in pitch black darkness I was really expecting something or someone to be standing right there once Elena struck her match.

In fact I wonder about how people feel about the, and this is late game spoilers beyond,
total lack of any real supernatural elements. They constantly set it up like we might be getting something whether it was the huge abandoned mansion section where Nate and Elena kept commenting about how none of the soldiers were around and had disappeared or the jokes about the Pirate Ghosts. Not too mention the entire "Descent" sequence was pretty creepy and full of some disturbing imagery.

I think avery's story was so much better than anything else that they did. There's just something so perfect with the piecing together of the story,
finding the island, seeing the eerie cliff, etc
Much better than Shambala, and uc3.

The way you discover the ending sets is just breathtaking and awe inspiring. And it's all so much more grounded than finding Shambala with its guardians and all that.

There's something much more mature about avery's story.

Yes and that's because it gave you time to get immersed in all that detail which is why I felt more into it than past games. Also, its kind of nuts that throughout the island,
you keep seeing that creepy beast looking cliff in the background and as you progress you get closer to it, once you reach it you could see all the other places you visited during the island in the background which makes the presence of a breathing, living world much more apparent.

Nadine may have kicked both Nate and Sam's asses but Nate punching her through the floor was the most badass part of the Nadine encounters.

I think of the
tower crumbling, Nadine fight and story as the same section which it basically is. The last little bit of 15 is good, but the pacing prior was terrible and honestly the Nadine fight wasn't anything special.

I mean it was fine, but the best part about that little sequence was the story. 14 had a huge area with fuckall there except pretty scenery and optional conversations. Gameplay-wise there was nothing to grab the player. Slamming 16 after 2 chapters like that was just a joke. Should've been a cutscene.

Elitist1945

Nate's flashlight battery starts to die in the underground booby trapped escape route? When it really starts to die and can't be saved and you are deep in pitch black darkness I was really expecting something or someone to be standing right there once Elena struck her match.

In fact I wonder about how people feel about the, and this is late game spoilers beyond,
total lack of any real supernatural elements. They constantly set it up like we might be getting something whether it was the huge abandoned mansion section where Nate and Elena kept commenting about how none of the soldiers were around and had disappeared or the jokes about the Pirate Ghosts. Not too mention the entire "Descent" sequence was pretty creepy and full of some disturbing imagery.

Going through the catacombs kinda had me thinking we were about to face off against reanimated skeletons lmao.

Just finished the game within 2 days. Jesus, I should've listened to GAF to not go in Hard Mode. If there's one area ND needs improving is that it needs to design difficulties so that it wouldn't be so damn cheap. I felt as if I was playing Uncharted 1 again in Crushing mode. Nevertheless, I enjoyed my experience and by far best presentation of any game this generation bar none.

Namikaze1

I hate Sam.
Dude kept killing someone while I was being all Solid Snake trying to unlock Peaceful Resolutions. I managed to get it done in the end.

Harmen

I actually think this is ND's most grounded, slow paced game overall. Even compared to TLOU. Ending spoilers:
No supernatural element in particular makes it more grounded than TLOU for me. Even though Joel and Ellie are not superhuman like Drake, TLOU is in fact littered with a variety of spore zombies. UC4 is about humans and their emotions as a whole, without venturing into any kind of monster element, be it due to an infection or mind controlling water. Even the historical background story/mystery of the pirates and adventurers of the past revolve around human interactions
Furthermore, TLOU definitely is more encounter based and even a lot of the resting moments revolve around preparing for those (stacking up items/upgrading, or having the characters talk about them). TLOU is definitely more grounded in terms of combat and enviroments though, so it depends on how you look at it, offcourse.

I loved UC4, but I do have to admit that during mid-game I was taken by surprise how subtle UC4 can be. In the end I think every section of UC4 is memorable in it's own way, because they built the game around what the story required at that given time. I do ultimately prefer TLOU, but that is one of my favourites of all time and it also aligns a tad more with my personal preferences. UC4 probably ties with UC2 for me, but I'll have to let it sink for full judgement (and probably do a playtrough on hard at a later point).

Also, the soundtrack is amazing, especially during the second half of the game. It aligns perfectly with the game at all times. In the end, I do prefer the ost of UC3, but I think that is one of the best soundtracks in the medium.

On chapter 19 in Crushing. This game is worse than Uncharted 3 with flanking and rushing. It wouldn't be such a problem if Naughty Dog didn't get rid of the grenade rethrowing and you werent made of tissue paper.

Uncharted 2 will forever be the most reasonable and balanced game in the series. Fucking hell.

DedValve

Banned
4 in a row! Gaf is uncharted crazy! How's the new climbing mechanics btw?

HYTLKSx.png

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Finished it.

FXi7sTt.gif

Great decision by Naughty Dog there because the supernatural parts were always the worst part of each Uncharted game. I kept expecting some pirate ghost bullshit and was really relieved it never happened.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Completed the game in just over 27 hours on hard last night.

Great game, enjoyed a lot more than U3 but not sure if I could put it tied or ahead of U2 for the below reasons (spoilers) -

- I enjoyed every chapter up until around 19 or 20. Basically, up to the part where you escape that second tank, Sully saves you and then attempt to leave until a crappy lame separation between everyone and Sam. Sam leaves and of course, you go chasing after him. To me, this felt forced just so you can get to the end battle with Rafe. No turns at all, lame ass boring dull and predictable happy ending.

- Gameplay is excellent when it comes to the climbing, plat-forming and driving but gunplay, controls and cover system is all clunky as hell. Granted, better than the previous Uncharted games but as someone who's coming from The Division, all of this feels off.

- Nadine??? Excellent character and misused/underused and just leaves at the end??? What the fuck is that shit? At least have Rafe do something to hurt or kill her. Or Sam. Something. But instead, nothing happens.

- The constant companion(s). Sorry but the partner AI was bad and just like in The Last of Us, completely invisible to enemies. To me, if this can't be done correctly, there's no reason for it to be there. Also, aside from the ten or so times the companion snapped an enemy's neck, they were useless and always in the way. Not to mention the fact that I shouldn't be playing with another character. I can see a chapter here and there but not the entire game.

- Not enough action sequences. There were a few minor sequences here and there and the one awesome one which was fucking insane but needed another awesome action sequence. To me, after the characters, that's pretty much what Uncharted was and it was a letdown that there was only one major action sequence. With that said, the enemy encounters being longer but fewer and far between was a positive.

- Visually, best looking game this gen. Music, sound and voice acting was also top notch to me as well.

- Driving the jeep was great and felt responsive and fluid. The swimming early on in the game was great and I was disappointed that there wasn't a swimming chapter. Game should have had one.

- Love all the characters. Great bad guy in Rafe (who's voiced by the FBI agent Stahl in the TV show Shades of Blue with Jennifer Lopez and Ray Liotta) but the boss fight felt forced and I didn't mind the sword fighting. The problem was the fucking camera. It needed to be zoomed out more.

- The flashback chapters were great as well especially the second one because of the story elements.

- The puzzles were good but too damn easy.

- Overall, a 9/10 in my opinion and it could have been a 9.5/10 but the last three chapters and the lame happy ass ending was a disappointment to me and felt forced.

With all of that said, Uncharted 4 will still most likely end up being my game of the year unless something else in the second half blows me away.

Top Bottom