• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

I have to admit I was surprised by how few enemy encounters there were in this game and that was somewhat dissapointing to me. I love the game overall though.

However, I had the opposite issue with The Last of Us in the fact that there were way too many encounters towards the back end of the game. Love this game as well. More so that Uncharted 4.

It's just a shame these two games were reversed in that respect.

Marvel

could never
Great decision by Naughty Dog there because the supernatural parts were always the worst part of each Uncharted game. I kept expecting some pirate ghost bullshit and was really relieved it never happened.
Yeah I was pleased they didn't go that route.

Yes and that's because it gave you time to get immersed in all that detail which is why I felt more into it than past games. Also, its kind of nuts that throughout the island,
you keep seeing that creepy beast looking cliff in the background and as you progress you get closer to it, once you reach it you could see all the other places you visited during the island in the background which makes the presence of a breathing, living world much more apparent.

Yep! It's rather incredibly done. ND knew exactly what they were doing too

So in one of the late missions what did people think was going to happen when
Nate's flashlight battery starts to die in the underground booby trapped escape route? When it really starts to die and can't be saved and you are deep in pitch black darkness I was really expecting something or someone to be standing right there once Elena struck her match.

In fact I wonder about how people feel about the, and this is late game spoilers beyond,
total lack of any real supernatural elements. They constantly set it up like we might be getting something whether it was the huge abandoned mansion section where Nate and Elena kept commenting about how none of the soldiers were around and had disappeared or the jokes about the Pirate Ghosts. Not too mention the entire "Descent" sequence was pretty creepy and full of some disturbing imagery.

Totally man. It's such a tease.

I had to seriously
turn down my volume and look away because I was such a chicken

They did the entire plot expertly. It's my favourite part of the game, so much more so than the actual relationships. It makes me so hopeful that LoU2 takes a similar direction.

No other Uncharted game did it anywhere as well as this. And I think it's how they should have done this from the start. They've finally nailed it. Someone earlier mentioned that UC2
felt incredibly rushed with Shambala
and I agree.

Everything about the island was so damn well done. Ive never played a game that introduced, teased, and eventually revealed their grande finale in such a way.

In fact, I just want a separate game by ND that evokes the sense of
creepiness and mystery
as they did so well here.

They did the right thing by
avoiding supernatural elements this time around
if only because
it would have been too much.
But if they
added it in
, I would have loved to
imagine what they could have done for the twist
Everything about the story here implies
something more than what we got

...But I'm still unsettled. I'm still so curious about the whole story, and I wish I could explore more of it. I truly enjoyed imagining the entire story as Drake finds it out for himself.

I know it's a different game, but I hope Horizon can evoke some of that. I doubt they will, but that's what makes ND so special

EloquentM

aka Mannny
End game spoilers

no supernatural element was complete bullshit especially since they kept teasing it. I was really expecting it and I was really hoping for something

Completed the game in just over 27 hours on hard last night.

Great game, enjoyed a lot more than U3 but not sure if I could put it tied or ahead of U2 for the below reasons (spoilers) -

- I enjoyed every chapter up until around 19 or 20. Basically, up to the part where you escape that second tank, Sully saves you and then attempt to leave until a crappy lame separation between everyone and Sam. Sam leaves and of course, you go chasing after him. To me, this felt forced just so you can get to the end battle with Rafe. No turns at all, lame ass boring dull and predictable happy ending.

- Gameplay is excellent when it comes to the climbing, plat-forming and driving but gunplay, controls and cover system is all clunky as hell. Granted, better than the previous Uncharted games but as someone who's coming from The Division, all of this feels off.

- Nadine??? Excellent character and misused/underused and just leaves at the end??? What the fuck is that shit? At least have Rafe do something to hurt or kill her. Or Sam. Something. But instead, nothing happens.

- The constant companion(s). Sorry but the partner AI was bad and just like in The Last of Us, completely invisible to enemies. To me, if this can't be done correctly, there's no reason for it to be there. Also, aside from the ten or so times the companion snapped an enemy's neck, they were useless and always in the way. Not to mention the fact that I shouldn't be playing with another character. I can see a chapter here and there but not the entire game.

- Not enough action sequences. There were a few minor sequences here and there and the one awesome one which was fucking insane but needed another awesome action sequence. To me, after the characters, that's pretty much what Uncharted was and it was a letdown that there was only one major action sequence. With that said, the enemy encounters being longer but fewer and far between was a positive.

- Visually, best looking game this gen. Music, sound and voice acting was also top notch to me as well.

- Driving the jeep was great and felt responsive and fluid. The swimming early on in the game was great and I was disappointed that there wasn't a swimming chapter. Game should have had one.

- Love all the characters. Great bad guy in Rafe (who's voiced by the FBI agent Stahl in the TV show Shades of Blue with Jennifer Lopez and Ray Liotta) but the boss fight felt forced and I didn't mind the sword fighting. The problem was the fucking camera. It needed to be zoomed out more.

- The flashback chapters were great as well especially the second one because of the story elements.

- The puzzles were good but too damn easy.

- Overall, a 9/10 in my opinion and it could have been a 9.5/10 but the last three chapters and the lame happy ass ending was a disappointment to me and felt forced.

With all of that said, Uncharted 4 will still most likely end up being my game of the year unless something else in the second half blows me away.

The worst part of the
separation is that Elena and Sully cant climb the cliff... when Drake literally shoots out rope from his wrists every chance he gets. Like seriously, it was just very dumb.

Why not just have to climb a really big ladder that breaks, or have a cave in or something? It was such a poor scene.

It will forever bother me.

Yes and that's because it gave you time to get immersed in all that detail which is why I felt more into it than past games. Also, its kind of nuts that throughout the island,
you keep seeing that creepy beast looking cliff in the background and as you progress you get closer to it, once you reach it you could see all the other places you visited during the island in the background which makes the presence of a breathing, living world much more apparent.

Yep... nailed it!

On chapter 19 in Crushing. This game is worse than Uncharted 3 with flanking and rushing. It wouldn't be such a problem if Naughty Dog didn't get rid of the grenade rethrowing and you werent made of tissue paper.

Uncharted 2 will forever be the most reasonable and balanced game in the series. Fucking hell.
Absolutely agreed.

I found many of the larger throwing-you-into-a-meat-grinder fights to be a slog. You're usually being attacked by three different angles if not completely surrounded, cover is usually all over the place but is often destructible and attaching to it is suicide considering how often you're flanked.

Many of the shooting arenas felt more tuned for a run and gun game with no reloading, instant weapon pickups, fast time to kill, no knockdown from explosions and invincibility during melee, but none of that is true here, so some encounters can become a lesson in trial and error instead of flowing with a give and take like you find in the other games.

Trying to install the patch and every time I switch my PS4 off, it restarts. Anybody else had this problem? My internet speed is absurdly slow anyway.

Its pretty fucking annoying though, because I want to access photomode...

On Uncharted 2. Overall the game has great pacing, but the final boss almost ruins my experience. It has terrible design. Personally, I probably enjoy the cinematic nature of these games the most. From the little I have played of U4, it is pretty much guaranteed to be my favourite ND game...That is unless it pulls some of the frustrating gameplay scenarios that U3 produced...

End game spoilers

no supernatural element was complete bullshit especially since they kept teasing it. I was really expecting it and I was really hoping for something

I liked that they kept it grounded, the emphasis on a pirate story with a big treasure throughout made me think of a more mature Goonies, especially with that Avery ship reveal at the end that you're forced to swim towards. I do wish there were more story segments/cutscenes in general though, it didn't quite feel like the full meal narratively I was hoping for.

I liked that they kept it grounded, the emphasis on a pirate story with a big treasure throughout made me think of a more mature Goonies, especially with that Avery ship reveal at the end that you're forced to swim towards. I do wish there were more story segments/cutscenes in general though, it didn't quite feel like the full meal narratively I was hoping for.

hahaha
yeah my first thought was Goonies too

Lol there's like 2 hours worth of cutscenes. I don't think it needed more :p

EloquentM

aka Mannny
MORE story segments/cutscenes? I'm fine with ND doing this with a new IP but an uncharted game this does not make. The pacing and over bloated narrative was exhausting by the end of the game. They completely turned their original formula upside down and the result was just a self indulgent mess of a game to me. I have no desire to replay the game because only about half the game is an actual playable experience. It's like
they take the tenzins town/ice cave from uncharted 2 and said lets make an entire game full of these moments.

I'm sure I'm being dramatic but the game was really disappointing for me.

Shredderi

Just finished it. What a ride this series has been. The game was stellar but there was one thing that didn't quite live up to my expectations:
The setpieces. After the crazy shit in UC3/UC2 with the boat things and jeep plane combos and the trains I was expecting them to take the setpieces into these unbelievable places with new hardware. I mean there was a lot of cool shit in the game but I expected these huge super elaborate sequences that would have made UC2/UC3 stuff look amateurish. As it stands both UC2 and UC3 had more epic setpieces in my opinion.

Wollan

Here's how I got sharpshooter yesterday (taken from playstationtrophies.org)
It's a glitch. Finally I did it again. Here are my steps.

1. Back up all saves
2. Delete all saves except for profile and the save you beat game on
3. Star a new game making a new save
4. Start the Prologue then quit after few seconds.
5. Load the Epilogue then the system always will ask you to make a save (always for me ). Then press O and it will say ......Start this chapter without saving? Press YES. Then quit after few seconds.
6. Now go to Encoumer select and select a place to start the game. When you press option you should see some additional options such as save game, load game.
7. Get 70 act and save it, then quit. So you will keep this stat.

PS: I play with Patch 1.02
PS2: It only works once, the second time the options such as save and lord will disappear.

Edited:
When you use chapter sletce that will always ask you to make a save ( always for me). Press O then press YES. Quit after few seconds and go to play encoumer. You can save your progress now.
I'm pretty sure now. I can do it how many times as I will.
Note that you have to wait for the credits to end for the trophy to pop.
Damn right mate! This worked for me.
To clarify further:
- I chose to carry over my statistics when making a new save (step 3) as it's the only way Chapter Selection is still available to me. It's not a problem with hit % statistics though as it resets after doing the other steps you mentioned.
- The second time I load the Epilogue (after step 7 save) I again chose not to save the file (just clarifying because I wasn't sure if you meant for both times or just first).
Also yes: The trophy is given after credits, not before as some say (with this particular glitch that is).

It worked for me on patch 1.03. I say you all have a few days before this opportunity disappears.
Arne: I am hacking your game and you will like it.

Namikaze1

End game spoilers

I too was hoping for something. When Nate and Elena were in Avery's Mansion's secret passages and Nate's flashlight went out for the last time, I kept waiting for the moment where once the two get a new light source, some weird shit would pop up like undead pirates surrounding you. Didn't help that Elena kept joking about pirate ghosts before that scene.

Pryce

Just finished.

And I have tears. I wouldn't have ended it any other way

There were other parts in previous Uncharted that I may have enjoyed more (the train section in Uncharted 2 is still the best set piece and I enjoyed Uncharted 3's setting more than this one) but everything considered it's the best Uncharted hands down and the best game of 2016 baring Mass Effect coming out.

The graphics, animations, voice acting, gunplay, story. It's just above and beyond anything right now. Naughty Dog are just so much better at this then anyone else. Bring on Savage Starlight or the Last of Us 2. I don't care. Naughty Dog, I love you so, so much.

Jesus man I'm shook right now. Just amazing in every way. I need to collect my thoughts.

Reached Chapter 8 or 9. Quick impressions:

-Very good looking game. Aside from some minor ghosting around characters, this is an astonishing visual feat for the platform.
-The combat is easily the most fun of any Uncharted game.
-The settings are different to set it aside from the rest of the series in a good way.
-The game seems a bit more self indulgent. Takes its time to tell the story. Weird side things. "Why is this in the game?" was a question I asked myself a few times. Reminds me of Kojima. The pacing is really different from the rest of the series because of this.
-I still don't find the environment traversal satisfying at all. I find it janky and unpredictable. I wish the environmental navigational puzzles were taken out of the game.

So far, pretty good. I'm not effusive about it like I was when I was playing Uncharted 2 a few years ago, and I'm not super eager to jump back in, but I don't feel like my money was wasted.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Reached Chapter 8 or 9. Quick impressions:

-Very good looking game. Aside from some minor ghosting around characters, this is an astonishing visual feat for the platform.
-The combat is easily the most fun of any Uncharted game.
-The settings are different to set it aside from the rest of the series in a good way.
-The game seems a bit more self indulgent. Takes its time to tell the story. Weird side things. "Why is this in the game?" was a question I asked myself a few times. Reminds me of Kojima. The pacing is really different from the rest of the series because of this.
-I still don't find the environment traversal satisfying at all. I find it janky and unpredictable. I wish the environmental navigational puzzles were taken out of the game.

So far, pretty good. I'm not effusive about it like I was when I was playing Uncharted 2 a few years ago, and I'm not super eager to jump back in, but I don't feel like my money was wasted.
enjoy lol. this is why I don't understand the grounded comments. A game that takes itself too seriously isn't necessarily grounded.

LiK

Gotta say that I went back to watch the Extended Gameplay Trailer and Story trailer and they spoil way too much stuff. Happy I ignored them before release.

Late Flag

I cannot get over how pretty L
ibertalia
looks. These are by far the best graphics I've ever seen (console-only guy). The IQ and lighting are just sublime.

Oh my god...chapter 14...the atmosphere. So good.

Edit: Yeah, that chapter specifically.

Gotta be honest though. I still think this has way too much exploration and especially way too much platforming and not enough combat.

Drencrom

Gotta be honest though. I still think this has way too much exploration and especially way too much platforming and not enough combat.

Yeah, I have to agree. I don't want "wall to wall action" at all times or anything, but there was a bit too much downtime at times for my taste which brought down the pacing.

magawolaz

Damn right mate! This worked for me.
To clarify further:
- I chose to carry over my statistics when making a new save (step 3) as it's the only way Chapter Selection is still available to me. It's not a problem with hit % statistics though as it resets after doing the other steps you mentioned.
- The second time I load the Epilogue (after step 7 save) I again chose not to save the file (just clarifying because I wasn't sure if you meant for both times or just first).
Also yes: The trophy is given after credits, not before as some say (with this particular glitch that is).
Thank you, I got it! These are actually important steps.

And for me the accuracy trophy popped up at the beginning of the credits :eek: Really strange lol

enjoy lol. this is why I don't understand the grounded comments. A game that takes itself too seriously isn't necessarily grounded.

Grounded might be a good description of the game as well, for different aspects. Some spectacle games can feel like they're just cranking everything up to eleventystupid for the whole run through the game (COD and Battlefield single player).

Uncharted 4 doesn't feel like that. I wouldn't even classify anything I've experienced as a "spectacle" - the scripted moments feel more like Half-Life 2's story beats than over the top action setpieces, which were always cool but never came off too strong. I'm sure the big actiony stuff coming in my playthrough (I'm at chapter 8/9), but it's a change of pace for the series.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I don't think I'm going to do the accuracy exploit. I did the speed run one but I'm going to do accuracy on explorer so I can play the game more as an adventure/walking simulator/whatever anyone wants to call it and just relax with the story, treasures, and other collectibles.

Grounded might be a good description of the game as well, for different aspects. Some spectacle games can feel like they're just cranking everything up to eleventystupid for the whole run through the game (COD and Battlefield single player).

Uncharted 4 doesn't feel like that. I wouldn't even classify anything I've experienced as a "spectacle" - the scripted moments feel more like Half-Life 2's story beats than over the top action setpieces, which were always cool but never came off too strong. I'm sure the big actiony stuff coming in my playthrough (I'm at chapter 8/9), but it's a change of pace for the series.
I see, yes in that way I could see it being considered more grounded when talking about its action. You people need to finish the game so I can talk more in depth lol.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, I have to agree. I don't want "wall to wall action" at all times or anything, but there was a bit too much downtime at times for my taste which brought down the pacing.

Even then, UC2 wasn't even wall to wall, it just had way better ramp ups and also knew when to hold and drop momentum. There's like 20 minutes of cooldown after a single encounter here. Super weird.

Yeah, I feel the same. But I think this was the right decision for the final chapter of Uncharted.

Edit: Yeah, even TLOU had more action, lol.

Vire

Beat it this morning. Beautiful game and a lovely experience.

Further thoughts later, but the lead up and final boss encounter was about a billion times better than Uncharted 3.

Loved the game, still have issues with the pacing. But it's a phenomenal accomplishment all the same.

UncleMeat

I love the bullet time bonus, it gives me a whole new appreciation for the hit reaction. It makes it too easy but I don't care, UC4 just became Max Payne 3!

I'd love for ND to patch it into the Drake Collection.

Do they ever say what city Chapter 1 takes place in? Boston? Philadelphia? Pittsburgh? I'm not that good at guessing but it looked East Coast.

Seems like Boston. I was thinking it was Boston in Chapter 1 from the visuals, then in Chapter 16 you find a letter that references The Lenox Hotel which seems to confirm it. So I guess the Drakes are Bostonians.

UncleMeat

I got 100 kills without dying trophy with bullet time on so it doesn't turn off all trophies but I have no idea about crushing.

I appreciate how Druckmann and Scherr tied certain plot points from Uncharted 4 together with the previous games. Which, in exchange, also brought more depth and coherence to them, and the canon.

Mechazawa

Wrapped it up.

Gotta say, it's a quality game, but it was pretty disappointing overall and is probably the least replayable of Uncharted games despite easily being the one that's the most fun to play. There were frankly only a handful of firefight encounters, and as someone who thinks that they made INSANE strides in terms of their movement/weapon handling/stealth/hand to hand, the fact that the game didn't really give that aspect much room to breath is a total bummer.

The game is way too weighted in terms of slowly moving through areas or scaling environments, which would've worked in their favor in the previous games, but actually backfires this time because the best part is now finally the combat engagements.

Stoze

Seems like Boston. I was thinking it was Boston in Chapter 1 from the visuals, then in Chapter 16 you find a letter that references The Lenox Hotel which seems to confirm it. So I guess the Drakes are Bostonians.

Also Sam's accent, though I guess it could be mistaken for a NY/NJ dialect.

Wollan

Who needs to wait for the Final Fantasy XV road trip
when we have the Uncharted 4 road trip in Madagascar.
I moved to Scotland recently and I visited La Reunion last fall (it's where Avery split the treasure). I actually was thinking about how the experience would feed the future UC4 during the trip (hoping for future nostalgia).

Riozaki

Banned
What I'm really afraid of is that if they made TLOU 2 pacing so slow like this one.

Uncharted is known for its actions but they made it so slow now and that what disappointed me the most. I hope they don't do the same mistake with TLOU2 or whatever their next game.

The Lamp

Wrapped it up.

Gotta say, it's a quality game, but it was pretty disappointing overall and is probably the least replayable of Uncharted games despite easily being the one that's the most fun to play. There were frankly only a handful of firefight encounters, and as someone who thinks that they made INSANE strides in terms of their movement/weapon handling/stealth/hand to hand, the fact that the game didn't really give that aspect much room to breath is a total bummer.

The game is way too weighted in terms of slowly moving through areas or scaling environments, which would've worked in their favor in the previous games, but actually backfires this time because the best part is now finally the combat engagements.

Yup.

Can't wait for the comparison threads to come after people have had time to get over the hype.

Top Bottom