• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Servbot24

Banned
Lol there's like 2 hours worth of cutscenes. I don't think it needed more :p
To be fair they are the best part of the game. Which is not to dismiss the gameplay, but most times I arrived at an enemy encounter or climbing section I just wanted to get through it so I could see the next part of the story.

Chapter 8 and 9 was basically a heavy serving of the "meat and potatoes" that Straley talks about so often - I appreciated it

Not getting the hate for Chapter 16 at all,
that break in the action unveiled some history and cleared up some motivations, and it was rather suspenseful on top of that.

Lol what action? Chapter 11-16 discussion
Chapter 11 is action. Chapter 12-15 has a couple good encounters with an overload of repetitive climbing and some walking/talking. And does chapter 16 add more depth when I know the full story? Because at this point was really cheesy, overlong with an old lady I could care less about and more climbing and a dumb-as-rocks chase scene. I'm really flabbergasted by chapter 16, but maybe it will make more sense when I finish or replay. Chapter 17 started out with more climbing and I was starting to get real pissed but then it had a pretty cool encounter with the jeep elevator
. Hopefully stuff keeps up, because if the rest of the "awesome" moments are cutscenes or a bit of dialogue, I'm gonna be dissapointed. Sorry to vent, just a little annoyed at the gobs and gobs of potential :).

Raxious

Welp, and I just got an instant dislike for the game. playing crushing at the moment and I was hoping to get that speedrun trophy as well. Everything went great until chapter
20, that explosive mummy area is so ridiculously bad designed, the guy who came up with this area should be fired.
Won't be able to obtain the speedrunning trophy anymore :(

Kysen

I finished the game today and it wasn't as good as TLOU. TLOU has better characters, Ellie/Joel and the world setting appealed to me more. The VA who played Rafe was top notch and reminded me of Vergil from DMC. Other than that it was pretty much standard UC fare.

What I'm really afraid of is that if they made TLOU 2 pacing so slow like this one.

Uncharted is known for its actions but they made it so slow now and that what disappointed me the most. I hope they don't do the same mistake with TLOU2 or whatever their next game.

It's unlikely - TLOU's apocalyptic premise allows for more frequent enemy encounters (Clickers can be anywhere) and the encounters are far more intimate. Uncharted 4 sprung for ENORMOUS combat arenas, and it's the best in the series in terms of combat for it. But obviously you can only have those so frequently.

Plus, you know, they'll probably take criticism of Uncharted 4's combat/exploration ratio on board.

Servbot24

Banned
Welp, and I just got an instant dislike for the game. playing crushing at the moment and I was hoping to get that speedrun trophy as well. Everything went great until chapter
20, that explosive mummy area is so ridiculously bad designed, the guy who came up with this area should be fired.
Won't be able to obtain the speedrunning trophy anymore :(
Yeah this was a low point. I'm still not sure why that area existed.

Why are people comparing TLOU and UC?
Because they're by the same company, were released in succession, and are influenced by eachother.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Why are people comparing TLOU and UC?
More so comparing UC4 and TLOU as they're both from the same developer and very story driven games that have obviously piggybacked from each other. The slow pacing in TLOU makes more sense for example even though it's not as slowly paced as UC4 which says a lot about it lol.

Who needs to wait for the Final Fantasy XV road trip
when we have the Uncharted 4 road trip in Madagascar.

Heh,

Uncharted 4 Madagascar road trip is about an hour of driving?

XV you'll probably be going from place to place in the car for most of the 40+ hour game. Can debate whether that's likely to be a good thing or not, but XV at least has the possibility of giving you a more authentic road trip experience (day night cycle, camping, lots of stops along the way across highly varied regions, stopping at gas station for snacks, etc.).

Uncharted is like snapshots from a roadtrip (not knocking that, works fine for the game).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's unlikely - TLOU's apocalyptic premise allows for more frequent enemy encounters (Clickers can be anywhere) and the encounters are far more intimate. Uncharted 4 sprung for ENORMOUS combat arenas, and it's the best in the series in terms of combat for it. But obviously you can only have those so frequently.

Plus, you know, they'll probably take criticism of Uncharted 4's combat/exploration ratio on board.

It's more than that to me, it's that TLoU can HANDLE slow pacing better.

The scavenging always felt like you were working towards something, with additions like the shiv which had combat/defense applications on top of exploration, using a somewhat limited resource to get through a door hoping to find something useful on the other end.

Now, with that I'm not saying I really want UC to have crafting or anything, but they basically doubled down on the slower traversal parts yet didn't make them nearly as engaging as any other part of the game. Finding treasure doesn't hold the same appeal as it's ultimately meaningless, the unlock points are essentially here for new game+ fuckery, so the huge amount of exploration loses a lot of luster relative to other games. The new additions like the grapple hook don't add much depth to the traversal either. There was a point that was actually pretty cool, something like a grapple into a jumping grapple into a slide into a jump onto a cliffside, but it's so rare they even pile on traversal mechanics like that.

I can replay TLoU and still want to rummage the environment...I don't even know what a replay of UC4 would be like.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Well I for one absolutely love this game. Was longer than i expected it to be as well. Cant really think of any negatives other than the box puzzles which were mundane and annoying.

I don't get it. How do you get past chapter 19
the exploding mummies near the statue after the fire fight. Nate won't roll fast enough. Is the timer shorter on crushing?

Yup.

Can't wait for the comparison threads to come after people have had time to get over the hype.
You should have more confidence in your opinion.

And also don't get down if others may feel differently. To be honest, I think there are quite a few people who also didnt just want another breakneck uncharted. I definitely feel games need to go beyond waves of violence. It just immaturity in the medium...Its good that a big budge game is trying some different things with the formual in my opinion.

It's more than that to me, it's that TLoU can HANDLE slow pacing better.

The scavenging always felt like you were working towards something, with additions like the shiv which had combat/defense applications on top of exploration, using a somewhat limited resource to get through a door hoping to find something useful on the other end.

Now, with that I'm not saying I really want UC to have crafting or anything, but they basically doubled down on the slower traversal parts yet didn't make them nearly as engaging as any other part of the game. Finding treasure doesn't hold the same appeal as it's ultimately meaningless, the unlock points are essentially here for new game+ fuckery, so the huge amount of exploration loses a lot of luster relative to other games. The new additions like the grapple hook don't add much depth to the traversal either. There was a point that was actually pretty cool, something like a grapple into a jumping grapple into a slide into a jump onto a cliffside, but it's so rare they even pile on traversal mechanics like that.

I can replay TLoU and still want to rummage the environment...I don't even know what a replay of UC4 would be like.

This is all true as well. I think the grappling hook made the platforming a lot more engaging than the usual Uncharted fare, but like you say they didn't really play with it enough.

Zocano

While they made some steps to break up the methodology of exploring areas (with the grappling hook etc.) they didn't go far enough with it. Part of exploration should involve dead ends and wrong ways and everything still felt so directed and hand-hold-y in that regard. The moments where you just wander around and piece together mysteries, have character moments, etc. were good but actual climbing and traversal was still as whatever as it ever has been and I think the key point with this game is that UC4 distinctively feels like it's trying to break that series trope up but they failed to do so.

Schryver

Finished it this afternoon. Really loved it but definitely wish there was a couple more epic set pieces. I thought it was actually gonna keep going since I remember hearing comments about how long it was and (I thought) the number of chapters

This is fucking stupid. You get grazed by an explosion and you cant move for a few second which by the time you can you get hit by another explosion

Who made this garbage level

you're supposed to walk guys

19.gif~c200
= death

TreasureMaster.gif
= live

Revven

Rushing through the slower moments as fast as possible like the old games when there were those slow and quieter moments? It's really not that different, other than the fact UC4 simply has a lot more of them. And while they may absolutely be super boring to go through on a replay asap because of how long those moments are in comparison to 1-3's smaller amount of quieter moments, I think it'll mostly be fine on a replay.

Honestly, Uncharted 3 had the slowest beginning of the trilogy and I've replayed that game dozens of times and I never really once minded how slow it was to start. Getting through the puzzles and shit quickly to get to the good parts made up for it and I think there's enough good parts in UC4 it'll feel the same way.

It does suck there's a much wider area between combat arenas but I really, really don't think the game will be that bad to replay again.

Though definitely on higher difficulty settings it'll almost seem pointless because the higher difficulty settings do not, whatsoever, affect the platforming/climbing/slower moments. But then that was the same thing with Uncharted 3, that game doesn't start to actually get difficult on Crushing until like Chapter 11 or 12 -- halfway through it!

But then I guess UC4 is the example of what happens when the people who complain about "too many combat arenas" win. The game's replayability suffers. :p

Oh hey why not create an explosion reaction animation for nate after 4 games, surely that is an awesome idea because we need to really see nate struggle to get up from an explosion repeatedly in a mode where you made everyone carry infinite explosives

More so comparing UC4 and TLOU as they're both from the same developer and very story driven games that have obviously piggybacked from each other. The slow pacing in TLOU makes more sense for example even though it's not as slowly paced as UC4 which says a lot about it lol.

What I'm really trying to say is why compare 2 different games claiming which is better?

SRTtoZ

Just finished it. What a ride this series has been. The game was stellar but there was one thing that didn't quite live up to my expectations:
The setpieces. After the crazy shit in UC3/UC2 with the boat things and jeep plane combos and the trains I was expecting them to take the setpieces into these unbelievable places with new hardware. I mean there was a lot of cool shit in the game but I expected these huge super elaborate sequences that would have made UC2/UC3 stuff look amateurish. As it stands both UC2 and UC3 had more epic setpieces in my opinion.

The
jeep ride setpiece was the best action sequence ive ever played in a videogame. It blew the other Uncharted setpieces out of the water IMO.

Like tLoU, U4 is an amazing must play experience carried by an 8/10 game mechanically.

This level of production value is just unprecedented. I think I stopped to take in my surroundings at least every 10 minutes or new hill/building top. No lie.

Because the dull drudgery and annoying characters of UC4 make me long for TLOU2 with the same beautiful technology

chapter 10 and it's so boring I don't know if I can take it

You said it yourself that you don't like any of the Uncharted's so why waist $60 or your time playing it in the first place?

Because the dull drudgery and annoying characters of UC4 make me long for TLOU2 with the same beautiful technology

chapter 10 and it's so boring I don't know if I can take it

Is there a gun pointed to your head or something?

Its a beautiful day outside, Im sure. Stop playing games you find boring. Life is too short to struggle through a game just so you can have another whiny opinion about it.

Jobbs

Banned
So stop playing?

I keep waiting for the greatness to happen. I'm aiming to make it through chapter 12 because eveyrone says that's the one to see.

why is it bait? I wanted to like the game and I'm frustrated because it's so incredibly boring. I could break it down further but I'm sure you'd call it more bait.. Suffice it to say, I can deal with shallow gameplay, tedious fake platforming and bad shooting if the story is good and the characters interesting and likable, but it isn't and they aren't. I want to throw Nathan off a cliff. It's difficult, though, because the magic forces suck him into his jump destination.

The Lamp

What I'm really trying to say is why compare 2 different games claiming which is better?

You can compare any two things and analyze which ones did different things better. Are you joking?

You can compare presidential candidates, car models, books and an artist's different albums but you can't compare two video games? Lmao no.

Revven

Oh yeah separate post.

I beat it today. Loved it to bits. I'm unsure on if I can put it above UC2, though. I think I would need to replay both side-by-side to make a more accurate comparison (even though I just recently played through UC2 on Brutal lol). I definitely think it does a ton of good things, though. And you can immediately tell the same guys who worked on UC2 worked on this (obviously) but it's nice to have the affirmation as such through the pacing of the game and the way the ending plays out vs Uncharted 3.

Absolutely, without a doubt, better than UC3. It's no contest. The villains are handled better, you actually have a reason to hate Rafe, the ending is satisfying, it's all very great. Character motivations make sense. Just great.

And I love how you spend
so much more time in the lost city this time compared to the old games. Finding letters and notes everywhere, exploring the environment, trudging through areas you might have gone through on a different level or you return to later, etc etc
. I loved that. I also love how this game gives off Uncharted 1's vibe of being on an island. It's almost like they wanted to 1-up the first game in this regard and I think they come pretty close. The fact you don't globetrot through the whole game is just a testament to the fact they know how to pace it and when it's appropriate to change location.

Sadly, the piton didn't really get that much... actual good use for it, imo. It being timing based is great, there's some skill involved with it in that sense but the issue with it I think is that it only comes into play halfway through the game unlike the grappling hook. Almost as if ND thought of it midway through development. The grappling hook you can clearly tell was thought of right from the beginning seeing as how it was integrated into the story at the start of the game.

But maybe I'm wrong. Either way, it wasn't used to its full potential.

Other than that, though, I loved it. I didn't really drive around in the vehicles for long but I did enough exploring in'em that it didn't feel like a total drag like some people had been saying in this thread. If you don't explore every single area then it's pretty fine.

I clocked in at 17 hours and I was looking for treasures/journal entries/notes and conversations pretty diligently. Can't wait to replay and try to find the rest without a guide (the treasures... though... I may need a guide lol).

Oh yeah separate post.

I beat it today. Loved it to bits. I'm unsure on if I can put it above UC2, though. I think I would need to replay both side-by-side to make a more accurate comparison (even though I just recently played through UC2 on Brutal lol). I definitely think it does a ton of good things, though. And you can immediately tell the same guys who worked on UC2 worked on this (obviously) but it's nice to have the affirmation as such through the pacing of the game and the way the ending plays out vs Uncharted 3.

Absolutely, without a doubt, better than UC3. It's no contest. The villains are handled better, you actually have a reason to hate Rafe, the ending is satisfying, it's all very great. Character motivations make sense. Just great.

And I love how you spend
so much more time in the lost city this time compared to the old games. Finding letters and notes everywhere, exploring the environment, trudging through areas you might have gone through on a different level or you return to later, etc etc
. I loved that. I also love how this game gives off Uncharted 1's vibe of being on an island. It's almost like they wanted to 1-up the first game in this regard and I think they come pretty close. The fact you don't globetrot through the whole game is just a testament to the fact they know how to pace it and when it's appropriate to change location.

Sadly, the piton didn't really get that much... actual good use for it, imo. It being timing based is great, there's some skill involved with it in that sense but the issue with it I think is that it only comes into play halfway through the game unlike the grappling hook. Almost as if ND thought of it midway through development. The grappling hook you can clearly tell was thought of right from the beginning seeing as how it was integrated into the story at the start of the game.

But maybe I'm wrong. Either way, it wasn't used to its full potential.

Other than that, though, I loved it. I didn't really drive around in the vehicles for long but I did enough exploring in'em that it didn't feel like a total drag like some people had been saying in this thread. If you don't explore every single area then it's pretty fine.

I clocked in at 17 hours and I was looking for treasures/journal entries/notes and conversations pretty diligently. Can't wait to replay and try to find the rest without a guide (the treasures... though... I may need a guide lol).

100% agree with the bolded. 2 is the best of the PS3 trilogy, but my favourites in the series are 1 and 4, and 4 finally beat out 1.

And yea I wish they used the climbing pick more. It made the climbing even more fun. Wish they introduced it earlier.

Vire

Is there a gun pointed to your head or something?

Its a beautiful day outside, Im sure. Stop playing games you find boring. Life is too short to struggle through a game just so you can have another whiny opinion about it.
Learned this while playing the division lol.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm.... Just saw the final boss fight...
How come The Order 1886 got so much shit for having QTE boss fights, but there isn't peep when Uncharted 4 does the exact same thing?
Can't say I was very impressed.

DNAbro

Hmm.... Just saw the final boss fight...
How come The Order 1886 got so much shit for having QTE boss fights, but there isn't peep when Uncharted 4 does the exact same thing?
Can't say I was very impressed.

It never felt like a QTE. They teach you how to parry the moves and leave it at that. definitely felt way better than anything in The Order

Top Bottom