• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

It's a QTE without the prompts, it's still a QTE, but it's also a bit more dynamic because it lacks the prompts. It's not a good or bad thing, just a thing. In fact, I'd say it's QTE done right because it does have a bit more player involvement because you need to watch what is happening.

Which is also essentially a QTE.

Have any of you played Mark of Kri? The whole fighting in that game is QTE-based. It's quite similar to AC fighting multiple enemies.

It's not a knock on the game.

And someone saying "pressing R2 to shoot" is now a QTE... lol... well you kind of have to aim...

Yes, it's a QTE. No, you guys don't have to feel bad about it.

Uh.... it kind of is.

Is it a context-sensitive action? Then yes, it's still kind of a QTE.

Just because it doesn't have a button prompt flying in your face, doesn't mean it is context sensitive.

The parry in Bloodborne is the same with the gun.... if you shoot at the right time while locked on and pressing the right button.... you get a counter opportunity.

I have to cast my vote saying that it's not a QTE. You can move around and I landed strikes on him when I wasn't prompted. It's more like fight club in the witcher 3 to me. Still not what I wanted for an ending though and I died way more times than I should have. Oh well! Maybe I'm wrong!

kpaadet

Technically it is lol the qte was in games for a long time though they just ended up becoming more visible. The boss in uncharted 4 is a long quick time event. Doesn't make it any less interesting though I didn't like it.
Technically I guess that makes like 80% of all actions in video games QTEs lol. QTE used to mean a big fucking indicator telling you what to press and failing you if you didn't hit it. Now I guess it just mean press block button when anemic attack you, or press dodge button to avoid attack.
Uh.... it kind of is. Enemy goes for a swipe and you counter by pressing a single button to do the parry.

Is it a context-sensitive action? Then yes, it's still kind of a QTE.

Just because it doesn't have a button prompt flying in your face, doesn't mean it is context sensitive.

The parry in Bloodborne is the same with the gun.... if you shoot at the right time while locked on and pressing the right button.... you get a counter opportunity.
My problem is you're watering down a term that was already dumb to begin with, most actions in video games are context sensitive, jumping on a enemy in Mario requires timing while hitting a button. That makes Mario games nothing but QTEs it's just dumb when you define QTEs like you do.

Skyo

Just finished my first playthrough and wow, what. a. game!
The locales and levels were beautifully crafted. I want moreeee

You press a button (or the other button) when he swings to beat the bad guy.

How is that not a QTE.

I'm actually amazed. Lmao.

Honestly, what does context-sensitive action mean to people?

zsynqx

What am I reading? TLOU had better characters than Uncharted? Nate and Sully > Joel and Ellie. TLOU is a great game but Uncharted will always be the superior series for me.

I definitely believe Joel and Ellie are much better characters than Nate and Sully. As much as I enjoyed their characters in the first 3 they were pretty much archetype characters of the adventure genre. There really wasn't much beyond that. Joel and Ellie were both brilliantly written and well rounded characters whose relationship felt more real than Nate and Sully's ever did.

While Uncharted 4 doesn't add much to the Nate and Sully dynamic, the stuff they did with Nate and Elena's relationship elevated it to Joel/Ellie tier for me.

Spinluck

It's a valid opinion, for one because Nate and Sully's relationship has been written horribly with U3, and some of that damage can't be undone.

My opinion is quite the opposite.

I felt like UC3 added to their relationship a great deal.

The biggest problem with the first two games was the incredibly tropey writing. Hennig seemed either hesitant or reluctant to give these characters any depth out fear that the story would lose simplicity. As a result the franchise was never really written to accommodate future stories too well.

UC4 owes a lot to UC3 as far as narrative goes. UC3 was the first in the series to show any depth or how fucked up Nate and his friends are. It's also pretty obvious that UC4 owes a lot to TLOU as well. Wish ND started with this type of storytelling for Uncharted from the get go.

PowderedToast

so, has anyone thought of how the beginning of U3 in columbia fits into this timeline? I loved U4's additions but I'm a bit confused on how it all plays out. or does druckmann just not care that much, lol

Neiteio

I'm through Chapter 16 and my eyes...wtf. this game looks simply out of this world.
Yeah, whatever misgivings I may have about pacing in UC4, I still feel this game is worth 10 times its asking price just for the gorgeous environmental art alone. The atmosphere and natural landscapes, the architecture, the sense of history, the attention to detail like how lived-in Drake's house feels, it's all INSANE. I think someone said earlier the credits note the involvement of like five art studios from China, so it would appear ND outsourced a lot of work to cram in all this detail. Makes me wonder how much this game cost to make.

zsynqx

so, has anyone thought of how the beginning of U3 in columbia fits into this timeline? I loved U4's additions but I'm a bit confused on how it all plays out. or does druckmann just not care that much, lol

Nate said to Elena
it felt like they were taking turns being in and out of prison, so maybe that's where Sam was during that time.

Footos22

Just finished, absolutely perfect ending. Had a smile on my face the whole time.

That last fight was great too.

Naughty Dog just keeps getting better. 10/10

15 1/2 hours on the clock. Only found 51 treasures.

Neiteio

Rafe is such a good villain. Dude is such an asshole but goddamn he's a bad guy you just love to hate :)
Yeah, only halfway through the game, but I look forward to each Rafe scene. Best villain in the series so far, IMO. I didn't follow the previews much for this game, so I didn't even know about him before I started playing. I thought the only villain would be Nadine.

Who plays Rafe? He does an excellent job. I can tell the character has some... insecurities bubbling beneath the surface. I like that kind of emotional nuance.

Chapter 20
at shipgraveyard

6 guys at the bottom that rush you, two snipers along the other side trying to get you, one of them is armored just to troll you, so even a headshot doesn't instant kill them, one guard up top with them, three guards below them

Once you take down the snipers they throw in reinforcements with a few more mooks, a gas mask grabber guy, an armored guy that rushes you and a fucking minigunner

If this was Uncharted 2 or 3 there would be power weapons lying around like a grenade launcher or rocket launcher or something decent like a shotgun for the rushers

Instead all they leave you with is a sniper rifle with 3 bullets in the middle of this cluster fuck and two grenades. And if you want them ammo from the snipers perched up? Too fucking bad cause that's where the reinforcements are coming from

Whoever designed this needs a punch to the face

I disagree. They were multiple points in the story that made me choke up. The powerful emotional points were just as strong as TLOU's.

Which parts? Spoilers..

The
drama with Elena was just laughable. She's sad that he doesnt tell her, and she worries about him dying. Him. Nathan Drake. The guy that gets out of the most ludicrous scenarios and laughs off everything. He doesnt fear death. And players arent conditioned to fear him dying. Elena is aware of what he does. He kills a bunch of people for treasure. On the odd occasion, he shows mercy to Nadine and Rafe, for some god forsaken reason. Let's also not forget that Elena kills a couple of people like it's nothing at all. Somehow, this reporter is taking out mercenaries with her bare hands

I could only roll my eyes.
I get that she doesnt like that Nate lied to her. But moving on, Drake finds out Sam lied. He is hurt because he lied and Drake risked his life for him. What did he really risk? He's done this many times before and never sweats anything. He gets out of everything. He even smashes his head on a rock right after...and is totally fine.

Or how about how
Sam is such a selfish douche, but Nate forgives him, and Elena barely cares about what he did. Nor does Sully really give a shit, outside of calling him out a bit. In fact, they work together for a while. They IMMEDIATELY insert the flashback here to make Sam seem like a good guy, and to give him motivation for his actions-- Avery's whole story is tied to his mom's research. But I dont recall this ever being mentioned after the horrible flashback with the goofy granny dying.

There's just so many inconsistencies with this. The motivations are off, the reasoning never makes sense. I just cant find myself caring about Drake in that sense.

Compare this to Joel and Ellie. Their motivations make sense. Joel's selfishness makes sense. When they cut the tension with humour, it makes sense.

Even if this is just a comparison between two totally different games, the storyline for UC4 doesn't really make much sense to me, because it still all feels selfish and care free.

This is why the game's emotional scenes never work. It only works in the very end because we know this is a true ending to characters we've grown accustomed to for the span of like 8 years.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Chapter 20
at shipgraveyard

6 guys at the bottom that rush you, two snipers along the other side trying to get you, one of them is armored just to troll you, so even a headshot doesn't instant kill them, one guard up top with them, three guards below them

Once you take down the snipers they throw in reinforcements with a few more mooks, a gas mask grabber guy, an armored guy that rushes you and a fucking minigunner

If this was Uncharted 2 or 3 there would be power weapons lying around like a grenade launcher or rocket launcher or something decent like a shotgun for the rushers

Instead all they leave you with is a sniper rifle with 3 bullets in the middle of this cluster fuck and two grenades. And if you want them ammo from the snipers perched up? Too fucking bad cause that's where the reinforcements are coming from

glad to see you got through the
mummys
. Lol is this your first playthrough.

Neiteio

Chapter 20
at shipgraveyard

I'm on Ch. 12, but man, I'm not looking forward to that. Sounds fucking ridiculous. But I'm playing on Moderate so maybe it'll be bearable.

Everyone is giving the
ship graveyard
grief.

I just went really aggressive at that point. Like, really aggressive and didn't have too much trouble. Lots of forward momentum for that section.

Isn't QTE when you have no control over your character and press buttons when indicated?

Final boss battle is not like that, similar but you have control over your character and you decide when to strike and when to wait for enemy attacks...

WadeitOut

I loved the game but I have the same critiques I had about 3. There are some parts of the game that are for narrative reasons, a bit long in the tooth. Reminiscent of the awful desert walk in 3 and a lot of parts of TLoU.

Then again no one forced me to beat it in a few days either I guess.

Footos22

Isn't QTE when you have no control over your character and press buttons when indicated?

Final boss battle is not like that, similar but you have control over your character and you decide when to strike and when to wait for enemy attacks...

Final boss is basically
infinity blade.
frankly loved it.

I'm through Chapter 16 and my eyes...wtf. this game looks simply out of this world.

In Chapter 20, and definitely one of the most beautiful games I've played, no question. And that's leaving aside visual fidelity, I'm just talking general aesthetic and environmental art direction.

Actually, the play experience is most similar to my first time through FF XIII -- I wasn't particularly engaged in the characters, the pacing was weird, the gameplay was fairly fun, and the aesthetics were amazing. My primary motivation in both games was to get to the next environment and drink in the visuals.

Maybe it's a weird comparison, but since I'm doing it anyway: XIII beats out Uncharted 4 OST, that's for sure, but Uncharted 4 has the benefit of good voice acting and not overstaying its welcome =P

I'm on Ch. 12, but man, I'm not looking forward to that. Sounds fucking ridiculous. But I'm playing on Moderate so maybe it'll be bearable.

It's fine on moderate. It just feels like such a crazy jump because it's atypical of the encounters in this game, especially after trudging through the slow middle chapters that feature only a handful of "stealthable" arenas. The game suddenly turns up to like UC1 levels for a few minutes out of nowhere.

Just finished it and came off with mixed feelings. Visually this game is gorgeous, the small subtle details are amazing, as for the negatives the gameplay felt lackluster,and the plot left me underwhelmed. I enjoyed it but in my opinion it doesn't surpass UC2.

nib95

Banned
Chapter 20
at shipgraveyard

What difficulty? I did this on crushing earlier and fuck me, felt like one of the hardest things I've ever done in a game, and I felt my entire play through on crushing outside of just a couple of other encounters had been surprisingly easy. I have sort of a strategy to how it can be effectively done if you need it, but even then it's still hard.

Chapter 20
at shipgraveyard

If I'm remembering correctly, isn't there a China Lake in that section? I know I got the trophy on that level with it.

Loris146

Just finished it and came off with mixed feelings. Visually this game is gorgeous, the small subtle details are amazing, as for the negatives the gameplay felt lackluster,and the plot left me underwhelmed. I enjoyed it but in my opinion it doesn't surpass UC2.

Which has a worse gameplay in every possible way :) Maybe are you talking about the pacing? Right now i'm on chapter 18 and the story is much better that UC 1-2-3.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Which has a worse gameplay in every possible way :) Maybe are you talking about the pacing? Right now i'm on chapter 18 and the story is much better that UC 1-2-3.

That's completely subjective first off. Pacing is directly related to gameplay and while I prefer uc4 so far, uc2 did have the better overall setpieces and gunfights such ad the tank chase through the village

This uc4 has the least kills and is almost double the length of the others.

JMZ555

Have just completed the game. My thoughts in simple form....

+ Graphics, outstanding. Was amazed on multiple occasions.
+ As expected great voice acting
+ Main Villain I found surprisingly well voiced and enjoyed his character.
+ Overall I'm happy with the ending. Story was decent.

- Felt like I had way too much boring climbing. Mindlessly slamming x without a fear of dying. Got to the point i felt I done more walking/ Climbing than having fun shoot outs or good character interaction.
-That new tool for climbing was a waste
- Action felt weak compared to previous entries. Didn't feel as much variety as previous games with soldier types.

So anyway, Id rate the game a 8.5

Graphics are 10/10 but gameplay is 7.5

timmyp53

You sound in delusional lol. People trying to change the definition of context sensitive button prompt whether visible or not.
Laugh out loud. Where do I say that the
fencing
isn't context sensitive? I'm not trying to change the definition of what a quick time event is. I'm just disagreeing on his comparison of context sensitive gameplay in relation to the Order (on rails) to Uncharted 4's
fencing boss
in which you are free to move, free to attack, and
parry
as in many other action games.

The Order would be similiar to games like Telltale Games/Until Dawn, etc
Uncharted would be more similar to a context sensitive action like parrying in Assassins creed/arkham games.

What difficulty? I did this on crushing earlier and fuck me, felt like one of the hardest things I've ever done in a game, and I felt my entire play through on crushing outside of just a couple of other encounters had been surprisingly easy. I have sort of a strategy to how it can be effectively done if you need it, but even then it's still hard.
I'm on crushing too. First playthrough. Any advice would help.

I just discovered that there's a second gas mask grabber guy

Fuck who ever designed this srsly

If I'm remembering correctly, isn't there a China Lake in that section? I know I got the trophy on that level with it.
Do you remember where it is? There might be a dude carrying it in the reinforcements. I wasn't sure cause as I was dying I saw an explosion that didn't look like a grenade.

nib95

Banned

There's a Revolver near the front left of the map from where you start, down in front of where the snipers are perched. It's just sitting on a wall and will come preloaded with 6 shots. Save your grenades and this gun for the final wave. Also, if you get up high, the chain gun wielding armoured brutes can't actually climb to get to you. They will instead group up towards this one spot on the map, down and left of where the entire encounter first starts. Just lob a few grenades there and they'll lose all their armour. After that you can just headshot them for easy kills. Once these two big ass brutes are out the way, the rest is not so bad.

I'm on crushing too. First playthrough. Any advice would help.

I just discovered that there's a second gas mask grabber guy

Fuck who ever designed this srsly

See above. Also, when the last wave is arriving, after you grab the revolver and any ammo for your main gun, climb up to the top near where the encounter first started. There's a spot on the right where you can take cover along a wall and slide around. You're still fully standing, and it's not really a cover spot rather just the side of the wall, but it's a great spot where you can not only take cover, but be free from any grenade throws.

You sound a bit silly.

I'm sorry I'm trying to reconcile the logic here.

In RE4 when you dodge the ogre tree swipe, you still have analog control, you can still even shoot and aim and ignore the tree coming towards you, you can still walk around...

But we know that's a QTE, because it's context-specific and you press the corresponding buttons. RE4 is renowned for it's in-gameplay QTEs (press button combo to dodge tree swipe, or avoid falling axe, etc) and in-cutscene QTEs, it has both, and they are both very well done.

But somehow, in Uncharted 4, you do essentially the exact same thing with the context-sensitive action (if swipe right, press this + if swipe left, press this), but it's *not* a QTE?

Literally that's what it comes down to, two scenarios at each swing from Rafe:

If swings left, press Triangle

If swings right, press Circle

And this is not a QTE, because... I'm not seeing it.

Loris146

That's completely subjective first off. Pacing is directly related to gameplay and while I prefer uc4 so far, uc2 did have the better overall setpieces and gunfights such ad the tank chase through the village

This uc4 has the least kills and is almost double the length of the others.

Of course is my opinion. Anyway stealth, gunplay, climbing are better in UC4 .
The E3 demo is also the best setpiece in the serie.
I agree with you that there are fewer gunfight and encounter in general ( this is a plus for me ).

Top Bottom