• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

You actually do fight significantly less, I tracked my stats while doing the entire collection and this one.

Enemies Killed:

UC1 - 777
UC2 - 958
UC3 - 720
UC4 - 524

It's less fighting on top of the fighting being more spread out as well.

Ended up with 666 kills, yeah I know weird to end up with that number, but that's what it says lol.

I would agree. Although I wish they would've brought some stuff over from UC3 like swinging your gun into an enemies face. Unless that is in UC4 and I'm just unobservant.

I hit enemies with guns plenty of times.

zsynqx

Shooting and aiming felt great to me, best in the series. As was the melee.

It's so weird this point. Some people love the gunplay in 4 while others despise it. I saw something similar in the Quantum Break thread and among reviewers. I wonder how much of it is down to playstyle.

Obviously some games have objectively bad gunplay, but it is an interesting topic.

That ending really got me. I'm super easy with the heartstring stuff, no denying, but goddamn.

You guys can fight over half a press or whatever, but this game is incredible. Thank you, Naughty Dog.

It's so weird this point. Some people love the gunplay in 4 while others despise it. I saw something similar in the Quantum Break thread and among reviewers. I wonder how much of it is down to playstyle.

Obviously some games have objectively bad gunplay, but it is an interesting topic.

I think some people don't like how much the aiming climb and moving there is after shooting. The dot reticle really bounces all over the place, much more than U1/2/3 ever did.

That might be why people find it harder to aim. In the previous games there is not so much reticle movement after the first shot or continued shooting.

It's much more like TLOU in this regard, maybe that just makes it more difficult for some reason, since Uncharted is faster than TLOU I guess.
I was not ready for Uncharted to be over :(
Yea.... it hit me too hard... more than I expected....

Which parts? Spoilers..

The
drama with Elena was just laughable. She's sad that he doesnt tell her, and she worries about him dying. Him. Nathan Drake. The guy that gets out of the most ludicrous scenarios and laughs off everything. He doesnt fear death. And players arent conditioned to fear him dying. Elena is aware of what he does. He kills a bunch of people for treasure. On the odd occasion, he shows mercy to Nadine and Rafe, for some god forsaken reason. Let's also not forget that Elena kills a couple of people like it's nothing at all. Somehow, this reporter is taking out mercenaries with her bare hands

What.
So what if Nate survives every adventure by a skin of his teeth every time? That doesn't make him lying to Elena multiple times OK. Also Nate never actively tries to kill the villains in any of the Uncharted games. Elena has killed multiple mercenaries in past games too. Is this your first Uncharted game? lol

I could only roll my eyes.
I get that she doesnt like that Nate lied to her. But moving on, Drake finds out Sam lied. He is hurt because he lied and Drake risked his life for him. What did he really risk? He's done this many times before and never sweats anything. He gets out of everything. He even smashes his head on a rock right after...and is totally fine.

His marriage? His life? The fact that he swore he'd never go on a risky adventure like this one?

Or how about how
Sam is such a selfish douche, but Nate forgives him, and Elena barely cares about what he did. Nor does Sully really give a shit, outside of calling him out a bit. In fact, they work together for a while. They IMMEDIATELY insert the flashback here to make Sam seem like a good guy, and to give him motivation for his actions-- Avery's whole story is tied to his mom's research. But I dont recall this ever being mentioned after the horrible flashback with the goofy granny dying.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Sully doesn't show up again till Nate and Sam are in Libertanea. Also I didn't get the feeling that the flashback was trying to show Sam as a good guy but showing how and where they got their new identities. As for the Avery's story it's said in the early part of the game that Nate and Rafe continued the search but hit a dead end. Nate moved on to something else while Rafe carried on.

There's just so many inconsistencies with this. The motivations are off, the reasoning never makes sense. I just cant find myself caring about Drake in that sense.

Compare this to Joel and Ellie. Their motivations make sense. Joel's selfishness makes sense. When they cut the tension with humour, it makes sense.

Even if this is just a comparison between two totally different games, the storyline for UC4 doesn't really make much sense to me, because it still all feels selfish and care free.

This is why the game's emotional scenes never work. It only works in the very end because we know this is a true ending to characters we've grown accustomed to for the span of like 8 years.

I don't know what makes you think that the motivation makes no sense. It made plenty sense to me.

Just finished.

Will play it again before casting a final judgement but as it stands this is probably my least favorite title in the series. Not that it was a bad game by any stretch.

Disappointed with the lack of
supernatural.

timmyp53

Story wise it was the most intimate and engaging Uncharted by far. Overall I rank it in the series as such

1. UC2
2. UC3
3. UC4
4. Uncharted 1/Golden Abyss(Don't Hate)\

As for a UC4 Rating I give it 8.5. I just got really bored at times and took way more breaks away from the game then I usually did because of pacing.
Has anyone found a golden abyss reference/easter egg yet? If so I'll add .5 points lol
Bonus Set Piece/cinematic experience ranking

1. UC3
2. UC4
3. UC2

Jarmel

Banned
Chapter 20
at shipgraveyard

6 guys at the bottom that rush you, two snipers along the other side trying to get you, one of them is armored just to troll you, so even a headshot doesn't instant kill them, one guard up top with them, three guards below them

Once you take down the snipers they throw in reinforcements with a few more mooks, a gas mask grabber guy, an armored guy that rushes you and a fucking minigunner

If this was Uncharted 2 or 3 there would be power weapons lying around like a grenade launcher or rocket launcher or something decent like a shotgun for the rushers

Instead all they leave you with is a sniper rifle with 3 bullets in the middle of this cluster fuck and two grenades. And if you want them ammo from the snipers perched up? Too fucking bad cause that's where the reinforcements are coming from

Whoever designed this needs a punch to the face

That shit was hard as fuck on Hard due to how quickly you die and the lack of decent weapons you have.

Stoze

I can understand why people dislike it compared to the others in the series, or Tomb Raider reboot games where everything has insane pinpoint accuracy and no kick. The guns in this have fairly hefty recoil compared to the other entries and I found myself having to do a bit more work centering guys' heads in the bigger, more open reticle.

I definitely wouldn't call it bad or flat out worse, just different.

nib95

Banned
I genuinely cannot fathom how people think the combat in this game is bad, or even average. Genuinely, this game has the best combat combat encounters of any shooter I've ever played, period, at least with a few key encounters anyway. The level design is quite simply incredible, and the level of tactical freedom and diversity of approach it allows simply unparalleled. Shit made me feel like Solid Snake, Spiderman, a Navy Seal and James Bond all in one. Platforms, buildings, pathways etc of a multitude of different elevations cluttered together, with climbing stones, ridges etc everywhere, ropeswing points, windows, countless alternate pathways, mudslides, underwater segments, cover spots galore, destructible elements, stealth grass and more. That's not even getting in to the quality of the AI, super satisfying weapons and grenades, excellent controls and mechanics, top tier animation blending, contextual melee etc.

I mean, look at this level design. Just look at it.

Unchartedtrade%204_%20A%20Thiefrsquos%20End_20160512163723.png~original

Unchartedtrade%204_%20A%20Thiefrsquos%20End_20160512170704.png~original

Unchartedtrade%204_%20A%20Thiefrsquos%20End_20160512160005.png~original

Unchartedtrade%204_%20A%20Thiefrsquos%20End_20160512153857.png~original

Unchartedtrade%204_%20A%20Thiefrsquos%20End_20160508095335.png~original

Unchartedtrade%204_%20A%20Thiefrsquos%20End_20160508093927_1.png~original

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Finished it today. Didn't really like the first half of the game much and kept getting bored. I found the second half a lot more entertaining. Good wrap up to the series.

Marvel

could never
I would agree. Although I wish they would've brought some stuff over from UC3 like swinging your gun into an enemies face. Unless that is in UC4 and I'm just unobservant.
I'm pretty sure something similar is in, but less flashy than 3'awesome gun golf swing lol. There's quite a few cqc different animations it can get very stylish depending on luck, where you are and what you do or do not hold in your hands. Even buddies have multiple tag team takedowns or their own.

One guy was behind cover so I mantled, kicked him in his face stole his gun because my rifle was out of ammo completely and threw him over my shoulder. Loved it

Jarmel

Banned
Finished the game earlier today and I'm kinda mixed on my feelings towards the game. The writing is easily a franchise high but the pacing in the game is such utter garbage at times.

So many segments last way too long.

Jarmel

Banned
I genuinely cannot fathom how people think the combat in this game is bad, or even average. Genuinely, this game has the best combat combat encounters of any shooter I've ever played, period, at least with a few key encounters anyway. The level design is quite simply incredible, and the level of tactical freedom and diversity of approach it allows simply unparalleled. Shit made me feel like Solid Snake, Spiderman, a Navy Seal and James Bond all in one. Platforms, buildings, pathways etc of a multitude of different elevations cluttered together, with climbing stones, ridges etc everywhere, ropeswing points, windows, countless alternate pathways, mudslides, underwater segments, cover spots galore, destructible elements, stealth grass and more.

That was the exception, not the baseline. Not to mention the stealth mechanics while better than previous entries, was still sorta halfassed at times.

I'm not saying it's average but the general encounter design wasn't as good as that particular encounter.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Rushing through the slower moments as fast as possible like the old games when there were those slow and quieter moments? It's really not that different, other than the fact UC4 simply has a lot more of them. And while they may absolutely be super boring to go through on a replay asap because of how long those moments are in comparison to 1-3's smaller amount of quieter moments, I think it'll mostly be fine on a replay.

Honestly, Uncharted 3 had the slowest beginning of the trilogy and I've replayed that game dozens of times and I never really once minded how slow it was to start. Getting through the puzzles and shit quickly to get to the good parts made up for it and I think there's enough good parts in UC4 it'll feel the same way.

It does suck there's a much wider area between combat arenas but I really, really don't think the game will be that bad to replay again.

Though definitely on higher difficulty settings it'll almost seem pointless because the higher difficulty settings do not, whatsoever, affect the platforming/climbing/slower moments. But then that was the same thing with Uncharted 3, that game doesn't start to actually get difficult on Crushing until like Chapter 11 or 12 -- halfway through it!

But then I guess UC4 is the example of what happens when the people who complain about "too many combat arenas" win. The game's replayability suffers. :p

I guess I'm more fine with slow starts when I know there's more of a payoff, or atleast have more individual parts that stand out to me. So while 3 starts slow, I know it's partially because around the halfway point that game is almost always full throttle. 2 is similar even if it gets going faster after the stealth parts, specifically once you get into Nepal that game just has such a smooth flow. It makes it so that even when you hit the Tibetan village/ice caves, I don't even try to 'rush' that, I just take it all in since it happens at such a good point that you always want that cooldown. TLoU, too, even if it takes a bit to get going, Bill's Town onward is a pretty clear ramp of intensity.

I think the bigger gaps inbetween the encounters gets me more than the actual amount of time spent just climbing around and such. Chapter
is pretty much the only time you get back to back fights with no breather, and that's actually not THAT crazy of a chapter. But it also is pretty easy to get hung up on since you still aren't totally accustomed to combat(though maybe it is actually insane on crushing).

I do agree with a lot of your general points about the game, though. I love the villain here, the general character moments are great, and I loooooove the epilogue. I guess I'm just more hung up on the encounters that are here are always really damn good, but so far between.
That elevator fight where Elena is in the jeep? Super cool. The most vertical fight in the entire series, I loved tackling that. Then you come across another bigass elevator and...well it's just them two talking, no ramp up from before. I loved taking down that tower in Madagascar and thought the chapter was going to have more freerange tackling, but that was a one and done. That PSX jungle fight is amazing, but it is prescended by a slow chapter(driving the boat around, climbing/doing puzzles) and the marooned chapter which is mostly climbing. It's the only fight in the jungle, once it's over...you continue climbing around and then hit Libertalia which, though a part I liked exploring, is tons of downtime stringed together.
This is totally the game ND wanted to make, but I guess for my personal taste it took some different turns. I see individual pieces that could have been the best thing they've ever made, and while I'd still put it far above UC1 and 3 it doesn't quite resonate with me the way UC2 and TLoU did.

Finished it today, after finally getting it Friday. Will post extensive impressions tomorrow, but after skimming the last few pages I sure am glad I'm not the only one mad about some of the shit you go through. Like the
ship graveyard
encounter, though
Avery's mansion
encounter was even worse. I was playing on Hard too with zero aim assist. GROAN.

I genuinely cannot fathom how people think the combat in this game is bad, or even average. Genuinely, this game has the best combat combat encounters of any shooter I've ever played, period, at least with a few key encounters anyway. The level design is quite simply incredible, and the level of tactical freedom and diversity of approach it allows simply unparalleled. Shit made me feel like Solid Snake, Spiderman, a Navy Seal and James Bond all in one. Platforms, buildings, pathways etc of a multitude of different elevations cluttered together, with climbing stones, ridges etc everywhere, ropeswing points, windows, countless alternate pathways, mudslides, underwater segments, cover spots galore, destructible elements, stealth grass and more. That's not even getting in to the quality of the AI, super satisfying weapons and grenades, excellent controls and mechanics, top tier animation blending, contextual melee etc.

this post will drive me crazy if I hadn't finished the game. Spoilers!

But yes, the level design for combat in UC4 is amazing. There's various routes to take to which would mean different players will play it different.

nib95

Banned
That was the exception, not the baseline. Not to mention the stealth mechanics while better than previous entries, was still sorta halfassed at times.

What was the exception? I just went through the entire game on Crushing a second time around, and I'd say almost every encounter (bar the first few) offered an incredible array of diversity of approach, due to the layered nature of the arenas, the multitude of pathways and access points, climbable features, tall grass etc. In Scotland outside the Cathedral, the rooftops of Italy, the forts of Madagascar, the jungle, the towns in Libertalia, New Devon, the Ship Graveyard etc.

Same here I thought there would be when Sam mentions how
in Libertalia the horses were left tied down in their stables and the colonists left in a hurry.

Exactly what I thought as well. That along with the
building being barricaded, like they were hiding and defending themselves from something.

Jarmel

Banned
And while they may absolutely be super boring to go through on a replay asap because of how long those moments are in comparison to 1-3's smaller amount of quieter moments, I think it'll mostly be fine on a replay.

I can't imagine some of these chapters would be remotely interesting on replay. Chapter 19 was pretty boring the first time through.

camac002

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing some gameplay videos of the people who dislike the gunplay to see how they play. After finishing U4, I've watched quite a few lets plays and even some of the "less skilled" players are not having too much trouble.

I thought the gunplay was excellent, and the enemies physical reactions to bullets was a large part of that.

I genuinely cannot fathom how people think the combat in this game is bad, or even average.

I've found that a couple of my friends who don't like the gunplay, they often ignore all that you suggested, and play it with zero mobility. Very strange.

I'm surprised so many struggled with the
Ship Graveyard
. I had an easy time with it and became one of my favorite encounters. I played on hard and died only once (but that was due to a platforming fail). The worst encounter was easily
The Mansion

I had zero issues with the gunplay and hearing people complain about the difficulty on hard. Nothing in UC4 is as tricky as the UC3 shiphull/theatre room with people dropping in left/right/up down. That was tricky. UC4's combat allowed you to use stealth and then once you're proper in a firefight, there's ways to play through. One thing you should use most of is cover + hanging off ledges. Once you cleared a few of the enemies, you can run around and play UC4's combat the way you're used to in the other uncharteds. Density of enemies here, obviously have to be cleared first.

And they have pretty good checkpoint mid battles too.

Jarmel

Banned
What was the exception? I just went through the entire game on Crushing a second time around, and I'd say almost every encounter (bar the first few) offered an incredible array of diversity of approach, due to the layered nature of the arenas, the multitude of pathways and access points, climbable features, tall grass etc. In Scotland outside the Cathedral, the rooftops of Italy, the forts of Madagascar, the towns in Libertalia, New Devon, the Ship Graveyard etc.

That jungle area is by far the largest and most diverse of any of the encounters in the game with probably the segment in New Devon being second. That's because they give you a really large area and a sizable amount of enemies. A lot of the encounters are somewhat small in scale like most of Scotland.

The worst encounter was easily
The Mansion

I didn't find that to be particularly difficult but that was mostly due to grenade spam on my part.

But alas nothing is perfect,the combat in this game is fucking atrocious it's worse than Uncharted 3 prior to the fix.
The aiming is floaty as fuck and most the time it's like playing whack a mole with guns.

And the dreaded "1 button has multiple uses" Pisses me off in most games but this.. fucking vile.
Press O to go in cover when right by cover, rolls and hangs of ledge and then gets shot by rockets, Happened so many times :(
And that fight against the armoured minigun guy.. was close to snapping the disk.

When not shooting, this game is 10/10 when in combat, I'd give it about 1/10.
Encounter design is just awful.

lol. re: aiming. what rubbish. lol.

camac002

I'm surprised so many struggled with the
Ship Graveyard
. I had an easy time with it and became one of my favorite encounters. I played on hard and died only once (but that was due to a platforming fail). The worst encounter was easily
The Mansion

I had the same experience as you for both of these areas as well.

nib95

Banned
I've found that a couple of my friends who don't like the gunplay, they often ignore all that you suggested, and play it with zero mobility. Very strange.

Right. ND have basically given us these layered, sandboxy playgrounds to experiment and kill in, and then you have some people making it sound like it's a bog standard cover shooter. If you choose to play it like that, sure, but there's so much more to it. It's just up to the player to discover and take advantage of it.

Some people earlier in the thread told me that harder difficulties don't allow you to experiment with mobility, again, completely false. Speaking purely of crushing, perhaps the ropeswing is more precarious to use, I can agree to that, though it's still useable and in some instances necessary, but mobility in general is pretty much a must on crushing. So many encounters I was jumping, diving, climbing, shimmying, running, hiding, ducking and diving about. Basically because my life depended on it. The AI are too smart and too precise for you to be able to just sit in one spot on crushing. You will literally be flanked, naded and hounded out of it, unless you manage to stay in stealth that is.

I had zero issues with the gunplay and hearing people complain about the difficulty on hard. Nothing in UC4 is as tricky as the UC3 shiphull/theatre room with people dropping in left/right/up down. That was tricky. UC4's combat allowed you to use stealth and then once you're proper in a firefight, there's ways to play through. One thing you should use most of is cover + hanging off ledges. Once you cleared a few of the enemies, you can run around and play UC4's combat the way you're used to in the other uncharteds. Density of enemies here, obviously have to be cleared first.

And they have pretty good checkpoint mid battles too.

The difficulty on hard feels like a regular Uncharted's normal to me. I'm only halfway through though. This might partly be because U4 takes so long to start throwing more tougher enemies at you in comparison to the earlier games in the series.

Moderate was just too easy. I didn't die nearly as much as the other games. I also feel that hard facilitates utilizing the area more because if you staying in one area too long it's suicide. Even saying that, I think hard was quite generous at times so I'm surprised people are complaining about it.

The gunplay is more than serviceable, but I really expected it to be better with the way some gawked over it personally. It's a bit floaty at times and the weapon feel is inconsistent. It's obviously better than 1&3, but not as tight as I'd hoped. It's not a huge deal to me though because the level design is just phenomenal. Ton of options.

I can't think of a single combat encounter where I was able to stay in one place and pick enemies off. The areas are too wide for that, they easily flank you or force you to move by taking the flimsier cover away forcing you to move. The encounters are quite dynamic in that sense.

Ishida

Banned
Chapter 20
at shipgraveyard

6 guys at the bottom that rush you, two snipers along the other side trying to get you, one of them is armored just to troll you, so even a headshot doesn't instant kill them, one guard up top with them, three guards below them

Once you take down the snipers they throw in reinforcements with a few more mooks, a gas mask grabber guy, an armored guy that rushes you and a fucking minigunner

If this was Uncharted 2 or 3 there would be power weapons lying around like a grenade launcher or rocket launcher or something decent like a shotgun for the rushers

Instead all they leave you with is a sniper rifle with 3 bullets in the middle of this cluster fuck and two grenades. And if you want them ammo from the snipers perched up? Too fucking bad cause that's where the reinforcements are coming from

Whoever designed this needs a punch to the face

I finished my first playthtough on Hard difficulty. BIG mistake. The difficulty spike in this part is ginormous. I kept dying and dying in a matter of SECONDS in this part.

I kept praying for the encounter to end, and then they throw in a second wave, so I keep dying even more.

Then you finally enter the wrecked ship and ANOTHER wave comes in.

This whole part was so brutal that it made me regret playing on Hard first.

Inside Avery's Manor was also another part I had trouble with. The sheer amount of enemies, especially those with grenade/rocket launchers was a huge pain in the rear.

Just finished this game and wow what a perfect sendoff. Aside from that, I really hated how slower paced this game was. Literally felt like exploring and climbing shit was 80% of the game and 20% combat. Aside from that, the enemy encounters were pretty awesome aside from
the mansion ambush in Chapter 18 or 19 and the fucking exploding mummies

I think my favorite cutscene of the game was
Drake explaining the pirate dinner table toast to Elena. Shows how much Drake loves doing this stuff

hairygreenpeas

Neo Member
Just finished the game a couple of hours ago, and, holy crap - so good! <3 It's not perfect by any means, and I definitely feel like a few of the encounters could've been designed better (or maybe I just suck? I don't know), but the game is definitely one of the best games released this year, if not the best.

It's been a while since I last played any of the previous Uncharted games, so I couldn't compare the amount of encounters with the last three entries and Uncharted 4; but, imo, it feels like there's a decent balance between combat and exploration. The tranquility of just going about and exploring the landscape is something I found to be just as enjoyable as the rush and thrill of being engaged in combat (or stealth - which I always attempt to do, even though I ultimately end up causing a riot every. single. time.)

I also love how the story of Henry Avery unfolded, and I actually found it just as engaging as Nate's personal narrative; it's one of the main reasons I absolutely loved exploring and finding all those 300 year old journal notes to read.
Although, I was quite surprised at the lack of any supernatural elements this time around. I was seriously expecting some kind of a cannibal/monster/ghost/immortal pirate reveal during Nate and Elena's exploration of Avery's secret underground passage. I was pretty much tense throughout the whole thing and was ready to shit my pants LOL.

Also, I'm pretty sure I spent at least 50-65% of my time tinkering with the photo mode. The game is just so pretty, guys. Ugh. <3

Portugeezer

I can't think of a single combat encounter where I was able to stay in one place and pick enemies off. The areas are too wide for that, they easily flank you or force you to move by taking the flimsier cover away forcing you to move. The encounters are quite dynamic in that sense.

I always get flanked, I never feel safe in this game during gun fights (playing on Hard).

nib95

Banned
I finished my first playthtough on Hard difficulty. BIG mistake. The difficulty spike in this part is ginormous. I kept dying and dying in a matter of SECONDS in this part.

I kept praying for the encounter to end, and then they throw in a second wave, so I keep dying even more.

Then you finally enter the wrecked ship and ANOTHER wave comes in.

This whole part was so brutal that it made me regret playing on Hard first.

Inside Avery's Manor was also another part I had trouble with. The sheer amount of enemies, especially those with grenade/rocket launchers was a huge pain in the rear.

The difficulty spike is definitely something I felt too, at least on crushing. The majority of the game even on crushing basically isn't that hard at all, mostly because you have so much tactical leeway afforded to you because of the complex level design. You can stealth, flank etc very effectively, essentially always keeping an upper hand. But then towards the end of the game, the car lift, mansion and ship graveyard encounters suddenly get really challenging. Like, to a completely different level compared to anything else in the game. I think with the first two it's because your mobility and stealth options are basically massively diminished, and with the ship graveyard it's a similar thing, only all your cover is also completely destructible too, putting you in even more of a pickle. Not to mention a lack of ammo also becomes problematic.

Loudninja

You actually do fight significantly less, I tracked my stats while doing the entire collection and this one.

Enemies Killed:

UC1 - 777
UC2 - 958
UC3 - 720
UC4 - 524

It's less fighting on top of the fighting being more spread out as well.
My kill count

UC1 656
UC2 872 died alot
UC3 696 died alot

It's so wierd to see people post trying to downplay people's thoughts when it comes to the folks that loved it. I mean I'm sure some people are riding high off the experience, but I know my thoughts on this game versus the rest of the series isn't going to change. I understand the pacing and way this one plays out is quite different in comparison, but after running through the prior games before and after finishing UC 4, hands down its just the way I've always wanted the series to be, finally realized. Exploration, beautiful locations, more story filled with emotional moments, expansive levels, better shooting, more gameplay options and variety.

Ha, noticed that too. Sadly that's just the way it is with every game that has an overwhelmingly positive critical reception and going by this thread, similarly positive reception by regular folk too. In this context, it is understandable that those who did not enjoy the game much / outright disliked it will feel somewhat marginalized by all the gushing and 'wow best game ever!' sentiments. However, this leads to insecurity in some and that small vocal minority tends to feel the need to downplay the positivity.
A recent example of this is Witcher 3 - a game similarly praised by the press and regular gamer alike. The minority who did not like it were very vocal and made damn sure they were heard! Which of course they had a right to, but it did get grating to see some of the same posters popping up time and time again in Witcher 3 threads just to whine.

Anyway, it's been very interesting following Uncharted 4 the past few weeks, from early impressions to reviews and finally this OT. I'm glad that the game has been received so well by most people. And I truly believe this is not down to a 'honeymoon period' either. If anything I think people will actually appreciate the game more as time goes by.

Vire

That's the thing, not only did you have a compelling story with Drake and company, but you also had the great historical thru line with Avery that was told through environmental storytelling and journal notes that you find along the way. I feel like it was the best realization of a lost world that they had stumbled upon partly because it had a rich backstory of its own that was given time to develop.

Stoze

I think my favorite cutscene of the game was
Drake explaining the pirate dinner table toast to Elena. Shows how much Drake loves doing this stuff

Everything with Elena and Drake in this game is handed incredibly well. I struggle to think of a non-platonic relationship depicted better in a video game, nothing really comes close.

Top Bottom