• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

timmyp53

I'm sorry I'm trying to reconcile the logic here.

In RE4 when you dodge the ogre tree swipe, you still have analog control, you can still even shoot and aim and ignore the tree coming towards you, you can still walk around...

But we know that's a QTE, because it's context-specific and you press the corresponding buttons.

But somehow, in Uncharted 4, you do essentially the exact same thing with the context-sensitive action (if swipe right, press this + if swipe left, press this), but it's *not* a QTE?

Literally that's what it comes down to, two scenarios:

If swings left, press Triangle

If swings right, press Circle

And this is not a QTE.... how?

Read my post above.

You sound in delusional lol. People trying to change the definition of context sensitive button prompt whether visible or not.
Thank God I thought I was alone.

Some serious redefining going on in hurr.
Read my post above.
There isn't a QTE in the beginning it's literally instructions on how to parry. I really don't see how this is much different then an assassins creed sword fight.

You didn't tell me if you played Mark of Kri or RE4 and how those also have QTE in gameplay either.

giphy.gif

monadi

Banned
Its so annoying when the game takes control from you for like a 1 min conversation after you inspect something. Could've been done without stopping the game.

Some thoughts

Postives
-Best console graphics ever
-Small details like shining a light in someones face makes them react, to enemies animations when they die depending on their position.
-Gunplay felt better. Liked the cross hair reaction when hitting or killing something
-Characters were well written.
-The Epilogue

Negatives
-Too much climbing and exploring for my taste. Needed more action. Nothing over the top like the train from UC2.
-Story doesnt really go anywhere too much unless its that twist in the middle. This is more in relation to the characters. I never felt like there was something big on the line.
-While the dialogue was great, I dont feel everything clicked the way I hoped in the story.
-The ending chapters didnt really live up to some climax I had in my head. I actually wanted to see something dramatic happen.
-When platforming I got sick and fucking tired of seeing shit get bent or broken or whatever. Its getting really fucking old.

Overall I'd rate it an 8.5-a 9.0. I guess I am the odd egg out as seeing on Metacritic everyone thought it was head over heels the best thing ever. Thats fine. I just felt empty after i finished it.

kendrid

Banned
- Felt like I had way too much boring climbing. Mindlessly slamming x without a fear of dying. Got to the point i felt I done more walking/ Climbing than having fun shoot outs or good character interaction.
-That new tool for climbing was a waste
- Action felt weak compared to previous entries. Didn't feel as much variety as previous games with soldier types.

I am with you 100% on this. Spam X and press in the direction you want to go. It might have a great story but I'm not having much fun actually playing the game.

Sweet Jesus at Chapter 15.

Then Chapter 16 was like a polar opposite...

Made it to Chapter 17...Anybody got a time estimate for how much more I got hours wise?

I'm gonna try to finish it tonight after I watch this baseball game.

Thank God I thought I was alone.

Some serious redefining going on in hurr.

You didn't tell me if you played Mark of Kri or RE4 and how those also have QTE in gameplay either.

I don't see your side either, if it makes you feel better. Delusional is a strong word, but with your definition, what isn't a QTE becomes very difficult to define. I don't view this as a productive conversation at all. The bigger question is if the game mechanic worked for you or not. Whether you think it's a QTE or I disagree doesn't really matter.

nib95

Banned
I'm sorry I'm trying to reconcile the logic here.

In RE4 when you dodge the ogre tree swipe, you still have analog control, you can still even shoot and aim and ignore the tree coming towards you, you can still walk around...

But we know that's a QTE, because it's context-specific and you press the corresponding buttons. RE4 is renowned for it's in-gameplay QTEs (press button combo to dodge tree swipe, or avoid falling axe, etc) and in-cutscene QTEs, it has both, and they are both very well done.

But somehow, in Uncharted 4, you do essentially the exact same thing with the context-sensitive action (if swipe right, press this + if swipe left, press this), but it's *not* a QTE?

Literally that's what it comes down to, two scenarios at each swing from Rafe:

If swings left, press Triangle

If swings right, press Circle

And this is not a QTE, because... I'm not seeing it.

It's not a QTE. By this token most games are just series of QTE's. By the same logic Fight Night would also just be a game of QTE's. Countering a specific attack with a specific button doesn't make it a QTE, especially when you have full control over your character, and can also attack of your own accord at any moment.

Yeah just keep ignoring my post I guess.

Uh no, based on your earlier posts, you're not reading what other people are writing.

I didn't say the QTE was exactly like Order. Those are more straightforward QTEs where it's just pretty much a cutscene sequence. So maybe you're just replying to the wrong person?

I'm saying the mechanics in the fight are QTE because of the context-sensitive actions.

The fight system in Uncharted 4 is even for parts of it QTE based. Which goes like "if you are grappled, press Triangle."

That's also a QTE. It's context specific, that you are grappled, and asking you to press a specific button or combination of buttons, but here just Triangle, to get out of the grapple. Just because it doesn't prompt you "press triangle now!!!11" doesn't mean it isn't a context specific action, and technically also a QTE.

How others relate this to "omg you press R2 to shoot now that's a QTE" is just mind-boggling though and confirms some people do not understand what the term context-specific means...
I don't see your side either, if it makes you feel better. Delusional is a strong word, but with your definition, what isn't a QTE becomes very difficult to define. I don't view this as a productive conversation at all. The bigger question is if the game mechanic worked for you or not. Whether you think it's a QTE or I disagree doesn't really matter.
That's fair. I still think based on the context-sensitive description it becomes a QTE.

Also I never used the word delusional, that was not me.

But I still think it's a hard and fast definition.

My questions to ask what is a QTE are two major questions:

1. Is it context-specific, meaning there is a defined situation in which it makes this particular button response appropriate e.g. being grapple countered in Uncharted, or the ogre swinging the big tree at you in RE4

2. Do you as the player respond to that action with a simple button press or combination of buttons, without any other specific input

IMO that particular scene satisfies those elements. It's asking you to press Triangle or Circle in response to Left or Right swings. To me that is 1. context specific and 2. the response is a simple button press without any other particular input

If it satisfies those two things, to me that's still QTE gameplay.

And again, in RE4, you can still wander and aim and attack while the Ogre is throwing a boulder at you, or swinging a tree at you, but it's still a QTE when you press the two buttons (R2 + L2 usually) to dodge the thing.

It's context specific: 1. boulder is being thrown at you, which is a specific event and 2. you press a simple combination of buttons without any other input really to perform a dodge roll
It's not a QTE. By this token most games are just series of QTE's. By the same logic Fight Night would also just be a game of QTE's. Countering a specific attack with a specific button doesn't make it a QTE, especially when you have full control over your character, and can also attack of your own accord at any moment.
If they are context-specific then it doesn't fall far away from the QTE tree then.

If it's asking you to press a specific button or set of buttons in a defined context (e.g. a grapple maybe) then to me that's still a QTE system.

Schryver

My favorite moments from this game:
Both the Nadine fights. The first one where you fall and swing around the corner and through the window - Big smile on my face. The second fight was also great

The bell tower collapse and the treasury building collapse - Both insane

The story was a bit drawn out and the loss of character control at different points throughout the game is somewhat annoying, but all in all if you had to pick 5 modern games to showcase the best of the best within the medium this would be one of the games. The ending was very satisfying IMO and it brought closure to the series.

This game is truly a technical marvel; it felt like i was playign a cgi animation. They also improved character movement and animations and the gunplay was so much more satisfying than previous titles. And I actually cared for the story this go around unlike in uncharted 3 where I felt a bit lost.

Bravo naughty dog.

nib95

Banned
Uh no, based on your earlier posts, you're not reading what other people are writing.

I didn't say the QTE was exactly like Order. Those are more straightforward QTEs where it's just pretty much a cutscene sequence. So maybe you're just replying to the wrong person?

I'm saying the mechanics in the fight are QTE because of the context-sensitive actions.

The fight system in Uncharted 4 is even for parts of it QTE based. Which goes like "if you are grappled, press Triangle."

That's also a QTE. It's context specific, that you are grappled, and asking you to press a specific button or combination of buttons, but here just Triangle, to get out of the grapple. Just because it doesn't prompt you "press triangle now!!!11" doesn't mean it isn't a context specific action, and technically also a QTE.

How others relate this to "omg you press R2 to shoot now that's a QTE" is just mind-boggling though and confirms some people do not understand what the term context-specific means...
That's fair. I still think based on the context-sensitive description it becomes a QTE.

What you're effectively implying is that counters in any game, from Street Fighter, to Fight Night, Devil May Cry, Onimusha and Zelda (etc), are just QTE's, simply because they're context sensitive, and require a specific input to be pressed in a specific frame of time. Of course that is a ludicrous assessment, since you still have full player control and can also attack (e.g. press other inputs) at the same time, at any time, hence it is in-fact not a QTE.

Which has a worse gameplay in every possible way :) Maybe are you talking about the pacing? Right now i'm on chapter 18 and the story is much better that UC 1-2-3.

I just didn't find the plot as engaging as the others. I also didn't feel the same sense of mystery that had me pushing along that the other games had, instead I couldn't just wait for it to end.

Chapter 20
at shipgraveyard

6 guys at the bottom that rush you, two snipers along the other side trying to get you, one of them is armored just to troll you, so even a headshot doesn't instant kill them, one guard up top with them, three guards below them

Once you take down the snipers they throw in reinforcements with a few more mooks, a gas mask grabber guy, an armored guy that rushes you and a fucking minigunner

If this was Uncharted 2 or 3 there would be power weapons lying around like a grenade launcher or rocket launcher or something decent like a shotgun for the rushers

Instead all they leave you with is a sniper rifle with 3 bullets in the middle of this cluster fuck and two grenades. And if you want them ammo from the snipers perched up? Too fucking bad cause that's where the reinforcements are coming from

Whoever designed this needs a punch to the face

I literally JUST beat this on Crushing. Whole thing in spoilers.

So I leaned over the cliff to shoot the shirt guy directly below me. Ran ahead onto the beam to do a vertical melee takedown on the helmet guy below. Took cover on the mast. Blindfired to kill the guy inevitably climbing up and from that point on I took my time. Then once the second wave hit, I did a mad dash to gather ammo and the the M-whatever Custom and then clambered up back to the initial position where you spawn.

The cover will be gone, so just hang off the ledge to get health back and wait for moments to ping guys with the custom. The big gunners and melee guys can't climb, so you can grenade them til their helmets fly off and ping 'em with whatever small arms you have left. I honestly sat and let Elana do some shooting for a bit, she CAN kill guys, it just takes time. It took a WHILE but it eventually worked out.

Godspeed, man.

Finally completed it.
Story and visuals were incredible and loved it dearly.
But alas nothing is perfect,the combat in this game is fucking atrocious it's worse than Uncharted 3 prior to the fix.
The aiming is floaty as fuck and most the time it's like playing whack a mole with guns.
And the dreaded "1 button has multiple uses" Pisses me off in most games but this.. fucking vile.
Press O to go in cover when right by cover, rolls and hangs of ledge and then gets shot by rockets, Happened so many times :(
And that fight against the armoured minigun guy.. was close to snapping the disk.

When not shooting, this game is 10/10 when in combat, I'd give it about 1/10.
Encounter design is just awful.

Do you think the context sensitive button in Ocarina of Time is also a QTE? You can only climb when contextually you are close enough to climb, and so on. I guess those are really boring, uneventful QTEs.

Remind me again, why does it matter if the final fight is a QTE based on your definition? If games like dark souls parry functions the same way, why would this matter?

Edit. Just say your post responding to mine. Sorry, phones take too long to type things out :/

I'm on crushing too. First playthrough. Any advice would help.

I just discovered that there's a second gas mask grabber guy

Fuck who ever designed this srsly

Do you remember where it is? There might be a dude carrying it in the reinforcements. I wasn't sure cause as I was dying I saw an explosion that didn't look like a grenade.

You know, since you said you're on Crushing, maybe it isn't there? I played on Moderate; I can't quite pinpoint the location I found it.

Because the dull drudgery and annoying characters of UC4 make me long for TLOU2 with the same beautiful technology

chapter 10 and it's so boring I don't know if I can take it

Might as well stop playing then. I thought 10 was one of the best chapters in the first two thirds of the game.
Multiple nice big encounters and downtime done right.

Deku Tree

Wow the final boss fight is garbage tier. Worse than any other uncharted final boss IMO. What a bad part of such an otherwise great game.

Finally completed it.
Story and visuals were incredible and loved it dearly.
But alas nothing is perfect,the combat in this game is fucking atrocious it's worse than Uncharted 3 prior to the fix.
The aiming is floaty as fuck and most the time it's like playing whack a mole with guns.

And the dreaded "1 button has multiple uses" Pisses me off in most games but this.. fucking vile.
Press O to go in cover when right by cover, rolls and hangs of ledge and then gets shot by rockets, Happened so many times :(
And that fight against the armoured minigun guy.. was close to snapping the disk.

No effing way man, can't agree on that at all.

My favorite moments from this game:
Both the Nadine fights. The first one where you fall and swing around the corner and through the window - Big smile on my face. The second fight was also great

The bell tower collapse and the treasury building collapse - Both insane

The mini set pieces are fantastic, don't forget
the Jeep falling from the cliff in Madagascar!

No effing way man, can't agree on that at all.
I thought it might be my pads, after trying all 5 pads I can say the shooting is dog shit.

I'm above average player (getting old :() and play most games on hard (trophy wore, not some masochistic twat)
This is going to be a hard plat for me :( Struggled more on some of these encounters on normal (to unlock crushing) than when I did MGS4 on hardest setting for the plat, and that was fucking hard.

What you're effectively implying is that counters in any game, from Street Fighter, to Fight Night, Devil May Cry, Onimusha and Zelda (etc), are just QTE's, simply because they're context sensitive, and require a specific input to be pressed in a specific frame of time. Of course that is a ludicrous assessment, since you still have full player control and can also attack (e.g. press other inputs) at the same time, at any time, hence it is in-fact not a QTE.

But those aren't context-specific.

The counter may be in effect "timed". But being "timed right" doesn't mean context-specific or QTE.

You can still perform all those actions at any other time as well. You can perform a grab move at any time, it just won't work if you're not next to someone. It's not specific to the action or any particular context.

Similarly you can perform the counter attack at any time, but it won't work unless it is timed right with the other attack. But you're not simply performing that act specifically to get out of that context-specific situation alone, you can do that same act at other times as well.

So that's not context-specific, it fails the first test of what is a QTE.
Do you think the context sensitive button in Ocarina of Time is also a QTE? You can only climb when contextually you are close enough to climb, and so on. I guess those are really boring, uneventful QTEs.

Remind me again, why does it matter if the final fight is a QTE based on your definition? If games like dark souls parry functions the same way, why would this matter?

Edit. Just say your post responding to mine. Sorry, phones take too long to type things out :/
Yes, I think that is a QTE.

It is a specific circumstance: you are next to the cliff edge, press A.

It's a simple QTE. It's not bad. I like those kinds of context-specific actions. But it's effectively a QTE, because it is context-specific, and it is a simple button press to perform the action.

And I don't think it matters whether or not any final boss is a QTE or not, just for posterity I guess, and to know really what QTE means.

The boss could be whatever, as long as it is fun, which I think it is. I loved the end of U4, I think it is fair to discuss whether or not this is or is not a QTE boss. I still think it is.

I think actually the previous bosses of Uncharted, not just 1, but also 3, were quite QTE heavy. But you can still move around. You can still punch back. You can do all those things. But to win you have to win the context-sensitive actions and dodges at specific times.

Just because a mechanic may by a definition, let's say my own definition, fall under what might be considered a QTE, doesn't mean that mechanic is any better or worse because of it. I definitely agree with that. There's so many ways to do similar and even more ways to do a dissimilar mechanic. But if it falls under being very strongly context-specific and timing-based that to me just defines it as QTE, but it doesn't define it as fun or not fun.

The same in U3, I did not like that boss, because it was too tough though. I far more enjoyed U4's boss, even though they are IMO still both QTE. Just U4's is done better, much better, IMO.

Schryver

The mini set pieces are fantastic, don't forget
the Jeep falling from the cliff in Madagascar!
Oh yeah I meant to add that one but forgot. All those were better than the
Madagascar e3 stuff IMO. It mostly felt like more jumping between vehicles that the other games had except for the awesome ending part on the bike

Lima

Wow the final boss fight is garbage tier. Worse than any other uncharted final boss IMO. What a bad part of such an otherwise great game.

That is why TLOU is such a great game. Because it didn't have a bullshit gamey endboss.

Naughty Dog sucks at boss fights. It is their big weakness. They fights in Uncharted are garbage tier, especially the one in 2.

Schryver

Shooting felt good enough for me. There was really so little of it though. Not sure if anyone has done a breakdown but the other games definitely had more from what I can remember

Shooting felt good enough for me. There was really so little of it though. Not sure if anyone has done a breakdown but the other games definitely had more from what I can remember

I think counter wise you kill around the same amount of people as UC3, but this game is about 4 hours longer so I think the stretching of it makes it seem less then it is.

PowderedToast

Nate said to Elena
it felt like they were taking turns being in and out of prison, so maybe that's where Sam was during that time.
ah I missed that, thanks. probably the best explanation we're going to get. I really like UC3's opening and don't want it to feel non-canon ;-)

I think counter wise you kill around the same amount of people as UC3, but this game is about 4 hours longer so I think the stretching of it makes it seem less then it is.

Yeah, even if it's slightly less than previous ones, this game is much longer so the % of total time spent in combat is way down, even if the actual minutes aren't so much.

Deku Tree

That is why TLOU is such a great game. Because it didn't have a bullshit gamey endboss.

Naughty Dog sucks at boss fights. It is their big weakness. They fights in Uncharted are garbage tier, especially the one in 2.

Yeah TLOU was much better because it didn't have a bullshit horrible end boss.

Ascenion

Just finished up the game. I'm very underwhelmed and I liken it to Quantum Break: I like combat, give me more of it. U4 feels very padded almost unnecessarily so. I feel like about 2-3 chapters aren't necessary and could've been cutscenes outright. Another complaint is that the game feels like Uncharted 3: Redux. Same story beats, same general theme. It felt very phoned in to me. I predicted almost everything that was going to happen, which mind you doesn't make the story bad, just not as exciting. After TLOU I expected better but then, that's the problem with franchises. Breaking franchise conventions leads to issues. Speaking of TLOU, U4 borrowed everything I hated from TLOU, namely the pacing and intimate moments. I found TLOU painfully slow, and I can't play it again because I'll get bored to the point of physical pain when there is nothing going on. Now TLOU story is brilliant but as a game it just wasn't fun for me because it was too slow too often. U4 encroaches on the cusp of this. The only reason it doesn'treach that point for me is because it simply starts painfully slow but picked up and hooks you in. Had it been more evenly paced like TLOU, yeah I wouldn't replay it either.

Presentation was nice, graphics were gorgeous. The weird water effects broke the immersion for me because they looked as out of place as Halo 5's weird ass 30fps enemies at a certain distance. The music/score now that I've finished the game actually fit some moments really well. I agree now that it goes with the game but it still never felt like an Uncharted score to me in the same way I'm sure it would work for an Indiana Jones movie but it wouldn't feel like an Indiana Jones score. That said it is still entirely forgettable because Henry Jackman sucks at writing themes/leitmotifs. Brian Tyler would've been a better choice here if you really want cinematic but a bit more compositional talent.

On to the ending. I get now why they said it was divisive. I'm on neither side however. I don't hate the ending, but at the same time it isn't the best thing in the world and it could've been better particularly because it doesn't feel like an conclusion, it feels more like an end and therefore left wanting. I won't put any spoilers in this write up but suffice it to say the previous comments about the story stand. Moving on to the final boss.....Drake' s Fortune is still king here imo. U4's climactic battle is once again Uncharted 3: Redux, but it isn't as bad as Uncharted 2 because I don't think anything can be.

If I had to rank the series now I'd say this:
Among Theives > A Thief's End = Drake's Fortune > Drake's Deception.

Compared to TLOU I'd rank U4 above it simply because I can likely complete the game a second time.

Just doesn't work for me, do l press circle if his sword is to my left?

If he strikes from your left, press Triangle

If he strikes from your right, press Circle

At first I mixed Triangle with Square, because I just assumed left would be Square by accident, then I died and figured it out after :p

Elitist1945

Just doesn't work for me, do l press circle if his sword is to my left?

Circle would be if he attacks from his left, which would appear on the right side of the screen for you. It can be confusing especially when he attacks multiple times in a row. Someone said pressing both Triangle and Circle at the same time helped, so perhaps see how that goes.

timmyp53

^

I didn't say you said it was exactly like the order. I said you compared it to. Reference your original post.

Felt great to me, and I don't think many people share your opinion. The part about it being worse than UC3 though is ridiculous

Coming fresh of the back of getting plats on all 3 uncharted games (again) I can honestly say this was the worst for shooting.
Maybe because I played the first 3 countless times and this been so different threw me? I don't know.
It got that bad for me it was starting to ruin the story, as I was that infuriated after a encounter I did not give 2 fucks what was happening after.
I had to put the locking aim assist thing on, and that felt dirty as fuck, surly them putting a aim assist in that is almost cheat mode just screams "yeah our aiming is shit"

As for the QTE which everyone is raging about.. total shite.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

You actually do fight significantly less, I tracked my stats while doing the entire collection and this one.

Enemies Killed:

UC1 - 777
UC2 - 958
UC3 - 720
UC4 - 524

It's less fighting on top of the fighting being more spread out as well.

You actually do fight significantly less, I tracked my stats while doing the entire collection and this one.

Enemies Killed:

UC1 - 777
UC2 - 958
UC3 - 720
UC4 - 524

It's less fighting on top of the fighting being more spread out as well.

I ended up killing 730 people in UC4 though which ended up roughly on par with my UC3 stats.

# of restarts and such are going to play a part into it, so hard to say unless somebody counts the encounters and the # of enemies in each encounter to really get a good idea.

I didn't say you said it was exactly like the order. I said you compared it to. Reference your original post.

I never compared it to the Order. Literally. Until you specifically said I did so for some reason. And even then I even said it's not done the same as as the Order.

I only ever called that part a QTE based on what is contained in Uncharted. Context-specific actions and responses. That's it.

So again, you're replying to the wrong person. I literally just went through all my pasts posts on the last 3 pages and I'm almost the only person who did not say it was like the Order.

So yea, reply to the correct person next time.

I ended up killing 731 people in UC4 though which ended up roughly on par with my UC3 stats.

# of restarts and such are going to play a part into it, so hard to say unless somebody counts the encounters and the # of enemies in each encounter to really get a good idea.

Even then, there's entire sections of Uncharted 4 where not killing is entirely a viable option.

Coming fresh of the back of getting plats on all 3 uncharted games (again) I can honestly say this was the worst for shooting.
Maybe because I played the first 3 countless times and this been so different threw me? I don't know.
It got that bad for me it was starting to ruin the story, as I was that infuriated after a encounter I did not give 2 fucks what was happening after.
I had to put the locking aim assist thing on, and that felt dirty as fuck, surly them putting a aim assist in that is almost cheat mode just screams "yeah our aiming is shit"

As for the QTE which everyone is raging about.. total shite.

I played with all assists off; had no problems whatsoever. This is the best combat of the series by far; the feedback, hit reactions, weight of everything; just topnotch imo.

Top Bottom