• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Hmm.... Just saw the final boss fight...
How come The Order 1886 got so much shit for having QTE boss fights, but there isn't peep when Uncharted 4 does the exact same thing?
Can't say I was very impressed.

lol I think Naughty Dog just did it better. Plus, it really didn't feel like a QTE at all.

Vire

Oh yeah separate post.

I beat it today. Loved it to bits. I'm unsure on if I can put it above UC2, though. I think I would need to replay both side-by-side to make a more accurate comparison (even though I just recently played through UC2 on Brutal lol). I definitely think it does a ton of good things, though. And you can immediately tell the same guys who worked on UC2 worked on this (obviously) but it's nice to have the affirmation as such through the pacing of the game and the way the ending plays out vs Uncharted 3.

Absolutely, without a doubt, better than UC3. It's no contest. The villains are handled better, you actually have a reason to hate Rafe, the ending is satisfying, it's all very great. Character motivations make sense. Just great.

And I love how you spend
so much more time in the lost city this time compared to the old games. Finding letters and notes everywhere, exploring the environment, trudging through areas you might have gone through on a different level or you return to later, etc etc
. I loved that. I also love how this game gives off Uncharted 1's vibe of being on an island. It's almost like they wanted to 1-up the first game in this regard and I think they come pretty close. The fact you don't globetrot through the whole game is just a testament to the fact they know how to pace it and when it's appropriate to change location.

Sadly, the piton didn't really get that much... actual good use for it, imo. It being timing based is great, there's some skill involved with it in that sense but the issue with it I think is that it only comes into play halfway through the game unlike the grappling hook. Almost as if ND thought of it midway through development. The grappling hook you can clearly tell was thought of right from the beginning seeing as how it was integrated into the story at the start of the game.

But maybe I'm wrong. Either way, it wasn't used to its full potential.

Other than that, though, I loved it. I didn't really drive around in the vehicles for long but I did enough exploring in'em that it didn't feel like a total drag like some people had been saying in this thread. If you don't explore every single area then it's pretty fine.

I clocked in at 17 hours and I was looking for treasures/journal entries/notes and conversations pretty diligently. Can't wait to replay and try to find the rest without a guide (the treasures... though... I may need a guide lol).
Yes! 100% yes about the bolded. This is the reason why it's a much better game than Uncharted 3.

Vire

How come The Order 1886 got so much shit for having QTE boss fights, but there isn't peep when Uncharted 4 does the exact same thing?
Because it's not a QTE at all?

The Order's final boss was a rehash of an earlier "boss" encounter.
In UC4 you have to at least watch your enemy movement to see which button to press while The Order had on-screen prompt to tell you which button to hit.

timmyp53

It's not on the rails. You are sparring and reading the oppenent to counter. They don't force one option to counter. You fail base on how you read their stance/attack. It's really well done in my opinion. I only wish it wasn't the first use of it in the game.

Jolkien

Finished it today, awesome game and one of my favorite ending. Gotta dig in the multiplayer tonight with a friend, I'm just missing those trophies and then I'll add another platinum to my collection.

SRTtoZ

It never felt like a QTE. They teach you how to parry the moves and leave it at that. definitely felt way better than anything in The Order

Exactly. Its not really QTE, they tell you which button does what and then it lets you do your own thing. It was an amazing boss fight once Drake gets the cutlass and if you stick your moves right.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
It never felt like a QTE. They teach you how to parry the moves and leave it at that. definitely felt way better than anything in The Order

lol I think Naughty Dog just did it better. Plus, it really didn't feel like a QTE at all.

If you liked the boss fight, that's fine.
But no matter how you look at it, it is a QTE boss fight, whether the prompts show on the screen or not. Seems like a bit of a double standard to me.

Vire

It's absolutely a QTE, but it's a well done QTE.
Which is why it's fine. I thought it was great.
In video games, a quick time event (QTE) is a method of context-sensitive gameplay in which the player performs actions on the control device shortly after the appearance of an on-screen instruction/prompt. It allows for limited control of the game character during cut scenes or cinematic sequences in the game.

- Wikipedia

There are no on screen prompts of which button to press and you still retain direction control of the character. When I personally think QTE, I think of losing full control of the character and it being transitioned into some quasi cutscene moment similar to the end of Halo 4 where the game tells me to hit the X button and I watch a big explosion happen.

Dartastic

This game's art is out of control. I swear to god I've taken screenshots that look just like I imagine the concept art did. Like, how the hell did Naughty Dog make something look this good, especially on the PS4? Wizardry? Fucking hell.

What am I reading? TLOU had better characters than Uncharted? Nate and Sully > Joel and Ellie. TLOU is a great game but Uncharted will always be the superior series for me.

Vire

This game's art is out of control. I swear to god I've taken screenshots that look just like I imagine the concept art did. Like, how the hell did Naughty Dog make something look this good, especially on the PS4? Wizardry? Fucking hell.
Once you beat the game you can view a lot of the concept art and most of the time, the actual game looks better.

If you liked the boss fight, that's fine.
But no matter how you look at it, it is a QTE boss fight, whether the prompts show on the screen or not. Seems like a bit of a double standard to me.

There is
2 block and 1 attack buttons. How is this different than parrying in a Souls game?

You can execute your moves at will and they're assigned to a button. Like R2 is shoot.

The Lamp

What am I reading? TLOU had better characters than Uncharted? Nate and Sully > Joel and Ellie. TLOU is a great game but Uncharted will always be the superior series for me.

It's a valid opinion, for one because Nate and Sully's relationship has been written horribly with U3, and some of that damage can't be undone. Also, none of the Uncharted characters had the amount of dimensions to their personality and background as I believe Joel and Ellie did, but that's just an opinion. Joel and Ellie's relationship reminds me of Nate and Sully, but it's better written, deeper and more explored, and extremely unique for video games.

Damn right mate! This worked for me.
To clarify further:
- I chose to carry over my statistics when making a new save (step 3) as it's the only way Chapter Selection is still available to me. It's not a problem with hit % statistics though as it resets after doing the other steps you mentioned.
- The second time I load the Epilogue (after step 7 save) I again chose not to save the file (just clarifying because I wasn't sure if you meant for both times or just first).
Also yes: The trophy is given after credits, not before as some say (with this particular glitch that is).

It worked for me on patch 1.03. I say you all have a few days before this opportunity disappears.
Arne: I am hacking your game and you will like it.

When it says to save on step 7 is this to the file you just created, to the original, or a new save?

Discovering
Libertalia
is the greatest scenery moment I have ever had in a video game.

Youve had like 4 games to develop a fondness for Nate and Sully

In fact, it's because of this that UC4 feels sad at all. It ends, and it's a goodbye. But the emotional stuff in the game doesnt touch Last of Us. They tried too hard to bring in LoU's emotional slower pacing, and it doesnt work here.

Wollan

I can still use weapon and infinite ammo cheats on crushing to get the trophy even with the latest patch right?
Sounds like it but I don't think this is a glitch that will be patched out. It's by design which is cool imo. It's sort of a Newgame+ to me.

Starting my Crushing run with bonuses right now.

Dartastic

Once you beat the game you can view a lot of the concept art and most of the time, the actual game looks better.
Holy shit, really? I can't wait. At Chapter 15 right now. Trying to take my time.

Like, look at these shots that I took. This is IN GAME. LIKE, WHAT?!?!?!? Incredible.

13221140_10101470681389617_4505663334743178885_o.jpg

13119792_10101467874125397_7030105837265511337_o.jpg

13161782_10101467260480147_7590284568652443037_o.jpg

In video games, a quick time event (QTE) is a method of context-sensitive gameplay in which the player performs actions on the control device shortly after the appearance of an on-screen instruction/prompt. It allows for limited control of the game character during cut scenes or cinematic sequences in the game.

- Wikipedia

There are no on screen prompts of which button to press and you still retain direction control of the character. When I personally think QTE, I think of losing full control of the character and it being transitioned into some quasi cutscene moment similar to the end of Halo 4 where the game tells me to hit the X button and I watch a big explosion happen.

Dude, it's a QTE.

First of all, there is an on-screen prompt at the start.

Second, it is still a QTE even without the prompts. Just because you can post a Wikipedia definition (which means nothing in the first place) is pretty irrelevant. They are saying generically what a typical QTE is like, which for most games, that is what they look like. But again, what a QTE is, meaning what is a context-sensitive action, simply means you press a button within a certain framework of time (or not, it doesn't have to be within a certain time). You press Circle, or Triangle, and there is a specific window of time to press these buttons.

Third, there are QTEs in RE4 where you still have analog control of the player. But they are still QTEs e.g. dodging the tree swipe of the big ogre dude. It's still a QTE. It is a context-sensitive action in which you have a limited time to press the appropriate buttons. QTE.

It's a QTE. It seems "not" like a QTE, because it is more abstracted since the animation is so damn good, and yes you're still controlling the analog movement (which has literally no bearing on what happens in the fight, except for the fact that you can walk around), but it is *still* a QTE.

It doesn't have to happen in a cutscene, or take away analog control, or any other qualifier you want to invent for the sake of this (pointless) discussion. It's still a QTE and a context-sensitive action that is literally exclusive to this scene.

Cudder

Sounds like it but I don't think this is a glitch that will be patched out. Sounds like it's by design which is cool imo. It's sort of a Newgame+ to me.

Starting my Crushing run with bonuses right now.
For the sharpshooter trophy, I tried last night to get it by following those steps and playing through the prologue with 100% accuracy, but since you bring over stats from the previous save file all my previous stats are there and the accuracy isn't at 70%. How'd you get it to work?

In fact, it's because of this that UC4 feels sad at all. It ends, and it's a goodbye. But the emotional stuff in the game doesnt touch Last of Us. They tried too hard to bring in LoU's emotional slower pacing, and it doesnt work here.

I disagree. They were multiple points in the story that made me choke up. The powerful emotional points were just as strong as TLOU's.

It's a valid opinion, for one because Nate and Sully's relationship has been written horribly with U3, and some of that damage can't be undone. Also, none of the Uncharted characters had the amount of dimensions to their personality and background as I believe Joel and Ellie did, but that's just an opinion. Joel and Ellie's relationship reminds me of Nate and Sully, but it's better written, deeper and more explored, and extremely unique for video games.

What was so bad about the relationship between Nate and Sully in UC3? I loved the beginning. It was a nice reference to Indy 3.

I haven't finished UC4 yet so I can't commend on that. But I agree with the pacing issues.

kpaadet

Dude, it's a QTE.

Second, it is still a QTE even without the prompts. You have to press a button within a certain framework of time. You press Circle, or Triangle, and there is a specific window of time to press these buttons.

Third, there are QTEs in RE4 where you still have analog control of the player. But they are still QTEs e.g. dodging the tree swipe of the big ogre dude. It's still a QTE. It is a context-sensitive action in which you have a limited time to press the appropriate buttons. QTE.

It's a QTE. It seems "not" like a QTE, because it is more abstracted since the animation is so damn good, and yes you're still controlling the analog movement (which has literally no bearing on what happens in the fight, except for the fact that you can walk around), but it is *still* a QTE.

It doesn't have to happen in a cutscene, or take away analog control, or any other qualifier you want to invent for the sake of this (pointless) discussion. It's still a QTE and a context-sensitive action that is literally exclusive to this scene.
There is also a prompt in the beginning telling you L2 is for aim and R2 is for shooting, this entire game was one big QTE fest, legit mind blown right now.

My girlfriend has not seen any of the other Uncharted games and watched me play all the way through this one. She grew very attached to the cast and was very sad when the game ended after us playing after work for 4 days straight. She also watched me play the last of us when it came out and the dlc. She preferred the characters from uncharted. She loves the last of us but found this story and characters to be more up her alley. For me personally I can't tell you if I liked this or the last of us better because I've been playing uncharted for almost a decade so I'm very attached to the franchise. Take it for what you will.

There is also a prompt in the beginning telling you L2 is for aim and R2 to for shooting, this entire game was one big QTE fest, legit mind blown right now.

Wow.

Right, because the aiming is context sensitive during the whole game. And now that's a QTE.

Amazing logic there. Lol. Jesus Christ you kids. Lmao. Anything for an argument.

Just because the ending is a QTE doesn't make it bad. I enjoyed it, but man you sound very upset that it is, in fact, a QTE.

Neiteio

I'm only halfway through, and a bit mixed on things in terms of pacing, but Ch. 10 (
Madagascar countryside
) is incredible. And I mean, like, cut-it-out-and-you-could-sell-it-for-$20-by-itself incredible. Really meaty mini-adventure with great mechanics and design throughout, between off-roading in the jeep, the semi-open environment, the many hidden alcoves with treasure, the breathtaking views (even by this game's standards), the use of the winch, the best sandbox encounters so far (at least five by my count, with plenty of verticality and stealth and grappling — even a zipline!), lots of well-scripted character moments despite the less linear pathfinding, and a few legit surprises. Very well-done. One of my favorite stretches in a videogame.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Wow.

Right, because the aiming is context sensitive during the whole game. And now that's a QTE.

Amazing logic there. Lol. Jesus Christ you kids. Lmao. Anything for an argument.

Just because the ending is a QTE doesn't make it bad. I enjoyed it, but man you sound very upset that it is, in fact, a QTE.
lol don't be surprised. You knew it was coming. I still laughed when I saw it.

timmyp53

Dude, it's a QTE.

Second, it is still a QTE even without the prompts. Just because you can post a Wikipedia definition (which means nothing in the first place) is pretty irrelevant. They are saying generically what a typical QTE is like, which for most games, that is what they look like. But again, what a QTE is, meaning what is a context-sensitive action, simply means you press a button within a certain framework of time (or not, it doesn't have to be within a certain time). You press Circle, or Triangle, and there is a specific window of time to press these buttons.

There isn't a QTE in the beginning it's literally instructions on how to parry. I really don't see how this is much different then an assassins creed sword fight.

kpaadet

Wow.

Tell me this is parrying in Dark Souls a QTE? Because according to your logic it is, doubt many would consider it though.

Revven

I also really wonder what the hell the DLC story is going to be seeing as how this game ends the way it does -- very little room for any additions to it, it feels really complete as a story. I hope it's not more Young Nathan and Young Sam stuff. I hope it's either some kind of side story or it has you playing as
Sam doing work with Sully or something. Or, even Cassie though I kind of doubt that

Either way, I hope there's more combat arenas and it isn't just something where you walk around and investigate stuff. We need more arenas to make use of the good/amazing combat!

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Tell me this is parrying in Dark Souls a QTE? Because according to your logic it is, doubt many would consider it though.
Technically it is lol the qte was in games for a long time though they just ended up becoming more visible.
The boss in uncharted 4 is a long quick time event. Doesn't make it any less interesting though I didn't like it.

There isn't a QTE in the beginning it's literally instructions on how to parry. I really don't see how this is much different then an assassins creed sword fight.

Which is also essentially a QTE.

Have any of you played Mark of Kri? The whole fighting in that game is QTE-based. It's quite similar to AC fighting multiple enemies.

It's not a knock on the game.

And someone saying "pressing R2 to shoot" is now a QTE... lol... well you kind of have to aim... and you can shoot whenever you want. Which makes it the opposite of context-sensitive. Do people know what these words mean.. lol.

Yes, it's a QTE. No, you guys don't have to feel bad about it.
Uh.... it kind of is. Enemy goes for a swipe and you counter by pressing a single button to do the parry.

Is it a context-sensitive action? Then yes, it's still kind of a QTE.

Just because it doesn't have a button prompt flying in your face, doesn't mean it is context sensitive.

The parry in Bloodborne is the same with the gun.... if you shoot at the right time while locked on and pressing the right button.... you get a counter opportunity.

Because it's not a QTE at all?

Best boss ending of the series for me - loved it.

Listening to the end credits as I now type.

Many pros and cons to the game. Still weighing it all up in my head.

edit:
@ wadeitout

Drake and Elena need to hire a god damn cleaning lady.

Agreeeeeed pmsl! Or perhaps just pick their shit up!

Top Bottom