• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

I-hate-u

Finished the game.

It's the best, most perfect only 1 playthrough game of all time. It's a game, Druckmann. Please put more gameplay in your games.

And no, TLoU was not like this.

I thought Hard was a good choice for the first playthrough. There's certainly some tricky bits but I prefer that to cruising through it. I can definitely see a few parts that'll be frustrating on Crushing though.

timmyp53

I always get flanked, I never feel safe in this game during gun fights (playing on Hard).

I played on moderate and would always get flanked as well. Saw my brother playing on hard and didn't notice a difference beside losing health faster? Is AI behavior more aggressive on crushing? If not, how does it scale?

Loris146

Ha, noticed that too. Sadly that's just the way it is with every game that has an overwhelmingly positive critical reception and going by this thread, similarly positive reception by regular folk too. In this context, it is understandable that those who did not enjoy the game much / outright disliked it will feel somewhat marginalized by all the gushing and 'wow best game ever!' sentiments. However, this leads to insecurity in some and that small vocal minority tends to feel the need to downplay the positivity.
A recent example of this is Witcher 3 - a game similarly praised by the press and regular gamer alike. The minority who did not like it were very vocal and made damn sure they were heard! Which of course they had a right to, but it did get grating to see some of the same posters popping up time and time again in Witcher 3 threads just to whine.

Anyway, it's been very interesting following Uncharted 4 the past few weeks, from early impressions to reviews and finally this OT. I'm glad that the game has been received so well by most people. And I truly believe this is not down to a 'honeymoon period' either. If anything I think people will actually appreciate the game more as time goes by.

Yeah i agree. You can feel from the start that U4 is a special game. Of course there are different opinions in the world and maybe for someone UC2 will be the best game in the series forever.

zsynqx

I think my favorite cutscene of the game was
Drake explaining the pirate dinner table toast to Elena. Shows how much Drake loves doing this stuff

I think that was mine too. The
Nate and Elena sofa scene
is a close second. I also loved the
elevator climb conversation followed by the tranquil drive through the forest, with music in the background.

Actually,
the final conversation between Nate and Sam was pretty great as well
:p

Finished the game.

It's the best, most perfect only 1 playthrough game of all time. It's a game, Druckmann.Please put more gameplay in your games.

And no, TLoU was not like this.
What's wrong with something being exceptionally good on all levels, even outside of the game? I've watched Force Awakens six times, and that has no game play, just one long cutscene. The obsession with replay ability is mind numbing.

Everything with Elena and Drake in this game is handed incredibly well. I struggle to think of a non-platonic relationship depicted better in a video game, nothing really comes close.
It really was. Partly why I feel slightly dead inside now that we won't see these characters anymore. :(

Just me or is anyone else also feeling like there's not much replay value here? I did a lot of exploration on my first run and found all the notes and did the optional conversations, and now when I go back, I just don't *feel* it. I've got some treasures to find, but other than that I'm really not enjoying playing through it again, even though it's my top 5 of all time.

Vire

In all honesty I don't have much interest in playing on anything harder than moderate. Half the super fun stuff like swinging off ropes and punching guys in death defying ways would be absolutely impossible on a mode like crushing. I just feel like hiding behind a wall and picking off enemies one by one in a very cautious shooting gallery is the antithesis of how I would want to play this.

Oh well, no platinum for me I guess.

I-hate-u

What's wrong with something being exceptionally good on all levels, even outside of the game? I've watched Force Awakens six times, and that has no game play, full movie. The obsession with replay ability is mind numbing.

Because the encounters are just so fun. I want more of it.. And as someone who is planning to platinum this game, I am dreading the mindless traversal segments that make up like more than half the game.

I just feel like hiding behind a wall and picking off enemies one by one in a very cautious shooting gallery is the antithesis of how I would want to play this.

Totally agreed. I wish there were no cover mechanic, and the game was designed on pure traversal combat.

This is why games like Infamous are just a blast to replay.

nib95

Banned
I played on moderate and would always get flanked as well. Saw my brother playing on hard and didn't notice a difference beside losing health faster? Is AI behavior more aggressive on crushing? If not, how does it scale?

AI is definitely more aggressive on crushing. They spot you (and dead bodies) basically straight away, e.g. in about a second or so, whereas on moderate you have a few seconds before they get alerted. The enemies also flank and pin much more aggressively on crushing too. Relentlessly even, but only after they've actually spotted you. That said, because of lower enemy numbers in earlier encounters, coupled with how effective stealth is, most encounters on crushing aren't actually that hard till late game.

In all honesty I don't have much interest in playing on anything harder than moderate. Half the super fun stuff like swinging off ropes and punching guys in death defying ways would be absolutely impossible on a mode like crushing. I just feel like hiding behind a wall and picking off enemies one by one in a very cautious shooting gallery is the antithesis of how I would want to play this.

Lol. Good luck doing that on crushing. It's basically the opposite of how you actually have to approach the encounters.

Yagharek

I'm in chapter 11 at the moment (maybe 10) but so far I'm not really feeling it even if I'm happy to keep playing it through to the end.

Criticisms
* The auto-climbing is pointless padding with zero challenge (but at least they have toned down on the last minute rusty pipe collapses and when these happen you usually end up in a different area altogether)
* Shoot-outs are sparse. Unlike UC3 I'm actually hoping for some of them now.
* The core gameplay loop explore-climb-solve puzzle - shootout-escape has been spread to thin after 4 games. It feels out of balance and no longer interesting - playing is a chore

Praises
* Visuals are excellent, surpassing MGSV for colour and vibrancy
* The grapple hook is fun to use, although perhaps could have been used more a la Tenchu
* Animation is top notch and they have reduced the wet noodle controls from Uncharted 3
* Areas feel utilised fully or near enough, and multiple pathways like in an early chapter building are great when present for different strategies

I think overall (based on, as I said, 10 or 11 chapters) this game would have been incredibly impressive if it had been released 5 years ago. Today though it feels like a natural time to wind up the series and the gameplay structure in time for something more meaty.

I wonder how the rest of the game will reinforce or change these impressions.

Portugeezer

I usually play games on harder difficulty, but I understand what you're saying. Many times I feel bad that I can't utilise the level design to it's full potential because I feel like I would die trying (and I have).

Just me or is anyone else also feeling like there's not much replay value here? I did a lot of exploration on my first run and found all the notes and did the optional conversations, and now when I go back, I just don't *feel* it. I've got some treasures to find, but other than that I'm really not enjoying playing through it again, even though it's my top 5 of all time.

I don't know, I'm playing again and even if I'm not super engaged like the first time I'm trying to do perfect set pieces to record some videos. Some sequences are spectacular.

I wish I would have played the game on moderate the first time, much more fun to fight this way.

Still working my way through this. I finished UC2 in a day and UC3 in maybe 3 sittings. I'm enjoying myself but at the same time the series feels pretty same-y to me now even with the new gameplay elements. Still feel like the shoot-out design (cover, enemy placement and movement into the field) can be pretty poor at times but that has been a problem with every Uncharted game in my opinion.

I feel like everything but the gameplay is keeping me playing which is a shame after the stunning job The Last of Us did keeping everything so well woven.

Yagharek

I dont get its,to me no game should be design around being replayed again.

I have to take issue with this. Arcade heritage classics, your Gradius and Contra and Street Fighters and Final Fights all depend on this. Then you have Treasure's output from Sin and Punishment to Gunstar and Guardian Heroes, and Platinum games like Bayonetta.

Replay is a critical component in many games. Over-reliance on cinematic techniques does not negate the need for great gameplay mechanics.

timmyp53

I think that was mine too. The
Nate and Elena sofa scene
is a close second. I also loved the
elevator climb conversation followed by the tranquil drive through the forest, with music in the background.

Actually,
the final conversation between Nate and Sam was pretty great as well
:p

For some reason the
"Elena Death/Kiss"
scene totally got me emotionally when the "A Normal Life" track started playing in the background. Had this Sudden realization and it dawned on me that the series was actually coming to a close at that point for some reason.

In Greek "nostalgia" literally means "the pain from an old wound.".

Loudninja

I have to take issue with this. Arcade heritage classics, your Gradius and Contra and Street Fighters and Final Fights all depend on this. Then you have Treasure's output from Sin and Punishment to Gunstar and Guardian Heroes, and Platinum games like Bayonetta.

Replay is a critical component in many games. Over-reliance on cinematic techniques does not negate the need for great gameplay mechanics.
Sure but its not a arcade game though its trying to tell a story.

Jarmel

Banned
I almost want to say the game feels bloated due to the climbing segments. TLOU was another game with a lot of travelling but it never bored me to the level UC4 did. That might be due to how absurdly long many of the travelling parts are or due to the general simplicity of the actual climbing mechanics.

psychotron

Anyone else get frame drops and stutters after getting to....the
island? The one where you and Sam drive the boat around exploring.
Not all the time but it seems to be happening as I'm exploring on foot every now and again.

I-hate-u

I dont get its,to me no game should be design around being replayed again.

Da' hell? Why not? In all almost all games I love, I always start a second playthrough right after the first to experience the gameplay mechanics and characters gain. Except of course in heavy cinematic games. I beat the likes of DMC4 more than 10 times, despite sub-par level design.

Uncharted 2/3, despite being cinematic, always had a lot of spectacular gameplay moments that I would want to replay over and over again. While UC4 does have some wonderful gameplay moments, they are so few this time around.

Vire

I almost want to say the game feels bloated due to the climbing segments. TLOU was another game with a lot of travelling but it never bored me to the level UC4 did. That might be due to how absurdly long many of the travelling parts are or due to the general simplicity of the actual climbing mechanics.
Why there are over ten drop the box so I can get to a higher point things in this game is beyond me. Just absolutely baffling.

timmyp53

What's wrong with something being exceptionally good on all levels, even outside of the game? I've watched Force Awakens six times, and that has no game play, just one long cutscene. The obsession with replay ability is mind numbing.

I think you need to flesh this idea/thought out before you get attacked hard here.

Stoze

Yeah, I beat it on Hard and would recommend Moderate for people's first time through, regardless of your skill level. It's not that Hard is too difficult, it's that it felt like I was more limited in the sandbox sections to go crazy, and I spent more time in cover than I would've liked.

nib95

Banned

I found the first quarter of UC3, TLOU and UC4 a bit slow for my liking. For me UC4 doesn't really get going till Chapter 10 and onwards. Granted I absolutely love the Auction/Heist level, and really enjoyed elements of Scotland, but the rest of the first 9 chapters still felt a tad too plodding. If just a few more gunfights or a major set piece of some kind was thrown in somewhere in the first 9 chapters, it would have been perfect. As is, whilst the game is imo still a masterpiece, I think UC2 remains the only ND game to date that has perfect pacing.

Sure, but story shouldn't be mutually exclusive from replay ability (which is a subjective measure obviously).

Look at games like the original Deus Ex, or Metal Gear and Ocarina. All story driven but still very much replayable.

I don't know, I think UC4 will be highly repayable. I'm pretty much done with a second play through now, and I'm already thinking about a possible third. No doubt in future I'll play through it again too.

Yagharek

Sure but its not a arcade game though its trying to tell a story.

Sure, but story shouldn't be mutually exclusive from replay ability (which is a subjective measure obviously).

Look at games like the original Deus Ex, or Metal Gear and Ocarina. All story driven but still very much replayable.

Jarmel

Banned
Why there are over ten drop the box so I can get to a higher point things in this game is beyond me. Just absolutely baffling.

It's probably for loading reasons but holy shit does it just make everything come to a crashing halt. They need to find some way of mixing that up.

I found the first quarter of UC3, TLOU and UC4 a bit slow for my liking. For me UC4 doesn't really get going till Chapter 10 and onwards. Granted I absolutely love the Auction/Heist level, and really enjoyed elements of Scotland, but the rest of the first 9 chapters still felt a tad too plodding. If just a few more gunfights or a major set piece of some kind was thrown in somewhere in the first 9 chapters, it would have been perfect. As is, whilst the game is imo still a masterpiece, I think UC2 remains the only ND game that has perfect pacing.

It's not just the early parts though but stuff like the tunnel in Chapter 19. That had no business being remotely as long as it was.

I would add TLOU as another game with pretty much flawless pacing. Well other than Pittsburgh.

Loudninja

Not saying its not replayable,some people think the first chapters hurt replayability.

nib95

Banned
It's not just the early parts though but stuff like the tunnel in Chapter 19. That had no business being remotely as long as it was.

Chapter 19 is over with pretty quickly on repeat play throughs tbh. As you sort of already know what to expect, you're not taking it so cautiously and actually run through all the exploding shit really quick. I actually enjoyed that chapter a whole lot more on my second play through, and the gunfights in that chapter actually took up a much larger bulk of the play time.

Vire

It's probably for loading reasons but holy shit does it just make everything come to a crashing halt. They need to find some way of mixing that up.

At the very least, even if it was loading purposes... Mix it up some with some other menial task. Why is the same crate with wheels scattered across the entire world? For the painstaking efforts they made to try and justify everything in this game and make it feel more grounded, it seemed ultra silly/eyerollworthy everytime one of those crate sequences came about.

Especially since Sam has a rope in his back pocket haha. Just throw the damn rope down.

Skyo

Guys, I got a question. So..I just finished the game.
U know the trailer, there was a part where sam and nathan were about to fall into a waterfall and nathan was holding on to the jeep.. did that happen in the game?

Also the part where Sam was about to fall down some pit and nathan was trying to catch him. I dont remember seeing that scene in the game either.

Vire

Now, I would love to have known Amy's vision for the game. She is a good balance to Druckmann.
Ironically, the teaser trailer that Amy is arguably much darker than what we got with Druckmann and Straley. Seemed like they had Sam as more of an antagonistic role previously. In all honestly, not sure if that would have worked for this series given the past entries tone.

Portugeezer

Guys, I got a question. So..I just finished the game.
U know the trailer, there was a part where sam and nathan were about to fall into a waterfall and nathan was holding on to the jeep.. did that happen in the game?

Also the part where Sam was about to fall down some pit and nathan was trying to catch him. I dont remember seeing that scene in the game either.

Are you referring to the jeep section in
Madagascar where it falls of a cliff but the rope on the tree holds the jeep?

I-hate-u

Sam
betraying Drake based off the first teaser.

Ironically, the teaser trailer that Amy is arguably much darker than what we got with Druckmann and Straley. Seemed like they had Sam as more of an antagonistic role previously. In all honestly, not sure if that would have worked for this series given the past entries tone.

I like Sam how he is in the current UC4. In regards to Amy, I was more curious about the set-pieces they had planned in this one, more than the story.

Yeah it does feel that way. I'm glad it went the way it did. Uncharted to me is best when it's a light hearted adventure. Though one approach is dark the other is more grounded. I rather take the grounded approach than the dark tone.

Jarmel

Banned
At the very least, even if it was loading purposes... Mix it up some with some other menial task. Why is the same crate with wheels scattered across the entire world? For the painstaking efforts they made to try and justify everything in this game and make it feel more grounded, it seemed ultra silly/eyerollworthy everytime one of those crate sequences came about.

Especially since Sam has a rope in his back pocket haha. Just throw the damn rope down.

That's probably done so idiot players can know what they can and can't move. Otherwise you'll get tons of people complaining that they can't find the magic box.

I'll be frank though, I would rather take a loading screen over having to find or push X number of boxes.

Chapter 19 is over with pretty quickly on repeat play throughs tbh. As you sort of already know what to expect, you're not taking it so cautiously and actually run through all the exploding shit really quick. I actually enjoyed that chapter a whole lot more on my second play through, and the gunfights in that chapter actually took up a much larger bulk of the play time.

Parts of that though really aren't that interesting. Either they should have come up with more elaborate booby traps or deathtraps or just cut out me sliding down a ramp for the umpteeth time.

Wait, you find a problem with someone seeking replayability from a piece of entertainment?

Am I reading this right?

Because not only does this sound remarkable but it doesn't even follow from your comments regarding TFA
When I say replay ability I'm talking about having a video game specifically designed to accommodate to be played again rather than something being just plain good so that you want to play it again regardless of some loop. I watch TFA again because it's awesome. Same goes for Uncharted 4 if it's well made.

Top Bottom