• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Vire

I like Sam how he is in the current UC4. In regards to Amy, I was more curious about the set-pieces they had planned in this one, more than the story.
Well I know they had at least one more set piece planned that had to be cut according to Troy Baker. And it makes sense, it feels like the game is just one short.

Based on viewing the concept art after I beat the game
it seems like a set piece with the entire pirate colony being flooded got cut

It's not like the game is lacking in memorable moments though in my opinion.

Jarmel

Banned
Ironically, the teaser trailer that Amy is arguably much darker than what we got with Druckmann and Straley. Seemed like they had Sam as more of an antagonistic role previously. In all honestly, not sure if that would have worked for this series given the past entries tone.

I kinda want to see the original script just for that reason. An angrier Sam feels closer to what I would expect from someone locked in a prison for fifteen years.

Just finished it and wow what an experience. Favorite game in the series to me. Loved pretty much everything in it.

I was certain one of the protagonists were gonna die.

Crash <3

Epilogue and the Mansion flashback was great too

nib95

Banned
Parts of that though really aren't that interesting. Either they should have come up with more elaborate booby traps or deathtraps or just cut out me sliding down a ramp for the umpteeth time.

I think you might have a different opinion on second play through.
There's only like three rooms of those traps, and the rest is great in terms of atmosphere and learning about Avery's madness, and then moving on to that floor puzzle, the cool underground blue lit gunfights, and then ending with that awesome set piece escape with you and Elena cutting yourselves out of that cage and legging it through the jungle for your lives, followed finally by the cute cutscene and moment they share.
It's actually a really good chapter.

camac002

Guys, I got a question. So..I just finished the game.
U know the trailer, there was a part where sam and nathan were about to fall into a waterfall and nathan was holding on to the jeep.. did that happen in the game?

Also the part where Sam was about to fall down some pit and nathan was trying to catch him. I dont remember seeing that scene in the game either.

It's only Nathan in the jeep in the story trailer, and it's showing the death scene if you don't use the rope to hook on before the end of the waterfall (where Elena climbs out)

Are you referring to the scene in the final 30 second trailer where it's Sam trying to catch Nate, not the other way around? That's from the end of Scotland, when Nadine finds them and the set piece starts.

Trojan

This game is straight up jaw dropping. Every time I get dropped into a new environment, I spend a few minutes just gawking.

Stuart444

So I finished the game earlier today and I loved it. My main complaints are:

Encounter Design: So many fights feel like "Unlimited Grenade"-athons. Trying to hide just to have grenades be thrown at you is annoying. Especially when it seems like the same guys have far more grenades than they should. Many of the encounters just felt unfair with the amount of enemies, unlimited grenades, etc.

One specific enemy design, the guys where you need to shoot their helmets off. Their body is basically indestructible with the helmet on but as soon as you shoot it off, their body armour becomes paper mache or something like that. I mean you can fire at them with an RPG or Grenade Launcher and their helmet is the only thing that gets damaged. But once that's off, their body armour becomes useless.

Just feels weird honestly.

I did love the epilogue though. Feels like a good end to the game and series.

I also loved being able
to play Crash Bandicoot. That was unexpected but awesome.

Overall, I did love the game though, the environments were great, the story was good and I enjoyed the puzzles. Also Rope Swinging is so fun.

Let me share my thoughts.

I got the Uncharted collection last year. I was never great at combat. In Scotland I realised it's way more fun to be mobile, and really enjoyed that, but then basically from Chapter 11 onwards I struggled with it. So combat wasn't very fun.

Nor was much else: So much climbing; Waiting for someone to drop a box. By the very end of the game there's a brief sequence where there's enough going on mechanically with the climbing that it's fun. It's too bad that isn't applied to the rest of the game.

And most of the conversations aren't interesting through that exploration. So much of the story just felt like the usual "follow the clues, find the treasure," that I didn't really care much about anything else. I like the Drake and Elena moments towards the end. I didn't care about Sam.

The game looks amazing.

I love Left Behind, and my favourite parts of this are similar: "A Normal Life," "The Brothers Drake" and the epilogue.

I was really expecting
one of the main characters to die, namely Elena. Thank Naughty Dog she didn't.
I really enjoyed the chemistry between that character and Nathan.

Zocano

Honestly with the way the story went it would have felt awkward (ending spoilers)
If any of the core cast died, would have felt weird (e.g. forced) given how their character arcs had been built up. Only really Sam would have "fit" if he had died.

TriAceJP

Finished it on Hard last night.

Overall, beautiful game. The platforming was great (except in those 'you could probably get up there but we are limiting your jump to a slight hop' segments) and was glad to get the rope swing.

The story was incredibly predictable, but Uncharted has always been a 'the adventure is better than the destination' type deals.

Combat was very Uncharted. And by that, I mean not very good. The controls for cover are still terrible. The entire game was
fucking paramilitary. The. Entire. Game.
. Stealth failed more often than not by being seen by a guy behind a tower, and a guy who sees you automatically zones the entire battalion after you even if you kill him before he has a second to make a peep. The last two hours were a drag after
pirate treasure traps, you had wave after wave of military men. What a mood killer.

I thought the ending was a great wrap up to the series. I also enjoyed how it was
the exact opposite of The Last of Us opening. In The Last of Us, we are shown a young girl right before her world is taken away from her. Uncharted has it so a young girl has the world opened up to her.

Sushigod7

Finished this morning what a fucking fantastic game. The intro was super boring and slow but loved the game as a whole. My favorite Uncharted but in general ND stop with rolling carts and dumpsters as a mechanic.

Yagharek

Not saying its not replayable,some people think the first chapters hurt replayability.

I know I have almost zero desire to replay the first seven or eight chapters. But it's starting to open up now in ch ten so I am giving it the benefit of the doubt. I hope the next ten or however many are more action packed.

The reason carts and dumpsters are generally in their games is for technical reasons. There are no loading screens or unskippable cutscenes in ND games because they stall the player doing a menial task that keeps them in one spot while the next level loads even before the cutscene starts.

Just finished it. I fucking loved it, my favorite uncharted. What a beautiful send off for the series and they fixed the pacing issues i had with the first 3. No more monster closet drawn out fire fights, just excellent on every front. More amazing subdued moments than i can count. Game of the year for me

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Nah, most likely the adventure that was obviously set up in closing moments between
Sam and Sully

Yep this is my guess. It's exactly the first thing I thought about when that exchange started.

I genuinely cannot fathom how people think the combat in this game is bad, or even average. Genuinely, this game has the best combat combat encounters of any shooter I've ever played, period, at least with a few key encounters anyway. The level design is quite simply incredible, and the level of tactical freedom and diversity of approach it allows simply unparalleled. Shit made me feel like Solid Snake, Spiderman, a Navy Seal and James Bond all in one. Platforms, buildings, pathways etc of a multitude of different elevations cluttered together, with climbing stones, ridges etc everywhere, ropeswing points, windows, countless alternate pathways, mudslides, underwater segments, cover spots galore, destructible elements, stealth grass and more. That's not even getting in to the quality of the AI, super satisfying weapons and grenades, excellent controls and mechanics, top tier animation blending, contextual melee etc.

I mean, look at this level design. Just look at it.

Then you get to New Devon and encounter design quality takes a nosedive that it doesn't recover from until the game ends...

Yagharek

The reason carts and dumpsters are generally in their games is for technical reasons. There are no loading screens or in ND games because they stall the player doing a menial task that keeps them in one spot while the next level loads even before the cutscene starts.

Really? Fairly well disguised technique then if that's all it is. That's one good thing about the series. Loading times are usually just one and done for an entire play session. Can't complain about that if the odd crate is the price to pay.

Just finished the game!!!!! In my opinion, it was the ABSOLUTE BEST Uncharted game ever. I couldn't ask for a better experience. I was holding onto my seat at almost every level. The action parts are so damn good and the campaign is also long as hell. I loved every bit of it and stopped to take screenshots of almost everything.

Lingering questions

Nadine. What happened to her after she abandoned Rafe? Will the dlc explain this or is it an eddy raja situation where we wont know what happened?

Rafe. What an absolute evil selfish villain. I expected him to kill Sam. Did anyone else?

The ending. They named their daughter after Drake's mother. Nice touch

As for the dlc in the future, what will it be about?

I expected Elena or Sully to die but I know ND didn't have it in them

I won't lie. The ending made me
very very happy. There's nothing better they could have done

gamerMan

The reason carts and dumpsters are generally in their games is for technical reasons. There are no loading screens or unskippable cutscenes in ND games because they stall the player doing a menial task that keeps them in one spot while the next level loads even before the cutscene starts.

This is the silliest thing I have heard and even if it true doesn't justify it. Uncharted 4 does have loading. It's just lazy game design. Not only is this silly, the carts feel so out of place in Uncharted which never even had them before. How did the other games manage to get around this "technical reason"? I'll be honest I'd rather have loading screens than to push another cart or dumpster around in a Naughty Dog game. Leave the crates in Crash Bandicoot, please.

End game thought. So knowing that there is
no supernatural element to this one. Is it possible something of that nature happened at the time and we're simply not seeing the bigger picture? With whatever having happened long gone. Or did all these people just leave and die due to one crazy ass pirate???

Kalentan

This is the silliest thing I have heard and even if it true doesn't justify it. Uncharted 4 does have loading. It's just lazy game design. Not only is this silly, the carts feel so out of place in Uncharted which never even had them before. How did the other games manage to get around this "technical reason"? I'll be honest I'd rather have loading screens than to push another cart or dumpster around in a Naughty Dog game. Leave the crates in Crash Bandicoot, please.

I'm pretty sure it's a combination of real time cutscenes and the such. Since now the game needs to load the cutscenes rather than playing video. So now more needs to get loaded rather than just the next level. What they did, allows them to load the cutscene and next part of the level while you do a task, so then you can skip the cutscene if you want.

Vire

no supernatural element to this one. Is it possible something of that nature happened at the time and we're simply not seeing the bigger picture? With whatever having happened long gone. Or did all these people just leave and die due to one crazy ass pirate???
The founders fought and overthrew the colonists similarly to Les Miserables, except with the bad guys winning and then proceeded to flood the rest... Then obviously you saw how Tew and Avery poisoned the rest of the founders so it was just the two of them left and their army forces. There is very clearly no supernatural elements involved... Ever.

alexbull_uk

Just finished it. Very satisfied overall, and definitely the best of the series in my eyes, which is high praise as they're all fantastic games.

Ending spoilers:
I'm really surprised that nobody died. My bet was originally on Sully but it became pretty obvious it wouldn't be him because he's barely in the game. I did expect Sam to die in the end though, and I'm glad they didn't go down that route.

I'm really pleased there was no supernatural stuff in this one. That's always been my least favourite element of the Uncharted series, and it wouldn't have fit well with the game's more grounded story.

The end boss fight was poor. Didn't enjoy defeating him and the whole thing was a bit tedious after about 60 seconds.

The epilogue made up for the boss though, and it was a nice way to wrap the series up.

I'm looking forward to the DLC now. Probably won't be out for a while, but that's fine by me.

DLC speculation:
What's the current theory on the DLC story? I'm kinda expecting it to be about Sam and Sully, but I could equally see it being the Malaysia job that's referenced in the main story.

There's very little suggestion if there is any. I didn't notice anything specific.

There is the "greed" that figuratively and literally poisons all the pirates in the end, but that's it, it's pretty grounded, there is a civil war among the people who feel cheated versus the pirates, the among the pirates themselves

The extreme greed that turn into deep mistrust to the point of murdering their whole civilization that they built, that's pretty "supernatural" if you paint it like that

It's mostly a commentary on the life choices of Drake and Sam themselves though more than anything and what their motivation than something supernatural but just IMO

the story keeps implying that Sam and Drake both essentially admire the lifestyle of the pirate, but they don't admire it enough to kill their families which is probably the difference

Harlequin

I kind of really hate how you can't play as different characters in the single-player mode. I mean, I get that the cutscenes would be messed up and the facial animations likely wouldn't work but I don't really give a fuck about that. I just wanna play as Rafe :(. Really hoping they'll patch that functionality in.

Revven

Yeah. At least it isn't Lazarevic bad. It's just Talbot redux.

It's at least way better than Talbot in the sense that it requires some amount of actually paying attention. With Talbot it's so easy to just go autopilot. Not to mention Talbot's fight is much less exciting. It's a little fun to play but man it's not really the way to end a game. At least this fight is more visually indicative that, "this is the final boss."

Top Bottom