• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Gray Matter

So I just finished and I have to say, I'm underwhelmed, but it's completely on me and not the game, let me explain.

Watching all the trailers and gameplay vids, the game looked fun, it is fun, but those vids were rehearsed so when I went and played it myself it wasn't as rewarding, I know it sounds weird, but I just felt like I never accomplished nothing after every combat encounter, I highly dislike the combat encounters, areas too big, enemies coming from all over the place, also, what's up with the guns, this game had the least amount of guns since the first uncharted, disappointed in that.

The gun play was top notch, the traversal was great, visuals were out of this world, I don't know how ND got this game to look this good.

Sadly, I didn't enjoy this game as much as i would have hoped for, but I still had fun.

My ranking of the games if anyone cares

UC2>UC3>UC4>golden abyss>UC1.

jett

D-Member
I was one death away on Lazarevic from hating Uncharted 2 forever. Fortunately I beat the game at the last possible moment and avoided a Killzone 2 situation, where I actually did end up resenting the game and just ruined my entire experience.

Naughty Dog needs to poach someone that knows how to actually design bosses. They have never gotten it right. Speaking on enemies, UC4 offered no variety, aside from some body armor (meh). TLOU at least had several enemy types.

This is the silliest thing I have heard and even if it true doesn't justify it. Uncharted 4 does have loading. It's just lazy game design. Not only is this silly, the carts feel so out of place in Uncharted which never even had them before. How did the other games manage to get around this "technical reason"? I'll be honest I'd rather have loading screens than to push another cart or dumpster around in a Naughty Dog game. Leave the crates in Crash Bandicoot, please.

There were carts in past Uncharted games.

jett

D-Member
This is the silliest thing I have heard and even if it true doesn't justify it. Uncharted 4 does have loading. It's just lazy game design. Not only is this silly, the carts feel so out of place in Uncharted which never even had them before. How did the other games manage to get around this "technical reason"? I'll be honest I'd rather have loading screens than to push another cart or dumpster around in a Naughty Dog game. Leave the crates in Crash Bandicoot, please.

Every ND game has obvious loading "scenes."

Don't tell me you've forgotten about this crap.

maxresdefault.jpg

alexbull_uk

I kind of really hate how you can't play as different characters in the single-player mode. I mean, I get that the cutscenes would be messed up and the facial animations likely wouldn't work but I don't really give a fuck about that. I just wanna play as Rafe :(. Really hoping they'll patch that functionality in.

You can play as other characters, but only after you've finished the game.

So I just finished and I have to say, I'm underwhelmed, but it's completely on me and not the game, let me explain.

Watching all the trailers and gameplay vids, the game looked fun, it is fun, but those vids were rehearsed so when I went and played it myself it wasn't as rewarding, I know it sounds weird, but I just felt like I never accomplished nothing after every combat encounter, I highly dislike the combat encounters, areas too big, enemies coming from all over the place, also, what's up with the guns, this game had the least amount of guns since the first uncharted, disappointed in that.

The gun play was top notch, the traversal was great, visuals were out of this world, I don't know how ND got this game to look this good.

Sadly, I didn't enjoy this game as much as i would have hoped for, but I still had fun.

My ranking of the games if anyone cares

UC2>UC3>UC4>golden abyss>UC1.

If you want the heroic action gameplay like you see in the trailers, bump the difficulty down. I'm pretty much sure that the trailers are made using either the lowest difficulty or the second to lowest.

Vire

I was one death away on Lazarevic from hating Uncharted 2 forever. Fortunately I beat the game at the last possible moment and avoided a Killzone 2 situation, where I actually did end up resenting the game and just ruined my entire experience.

Naughty Dog needs to poach someone that knows how to actually design bosses. They have never gotten it right. Speaking on enemies, UC4 offered no variety, aside from some body armor (meh). TLOU at least had several enemy types.
Would have been nice if instead of designing Sully and Sams tenth different outfit in the game they diverted some of those resources to give some love to the Shoreline folks so that they at least look different.

Harlequin

I thought they got it right in Drake's Fortune, actually. Felt refreshing to have a boss who felt like just an ordinary human being, more or less like all the other enemies in the game. I mean, not exactly, of course, but to some degree, that's how that boss fight felt to me and unconvential or anti-climactic as it may be, I vastly prefer it to bosses who feel like superhumans just for the sake of fulfilling a difficulty curve.

alexbull_uk

Would have been nice if instead of designing Sully and Sams tenth different outfit in the game they diverted some of those resources to give some love to the Shoreline folks so that they at least look different.

Most bizzare thing is how there's no female enemies.

Every ND game has obvious loading "scenes."

Don't tell me you've forgotten about this crap.

I'd be happier with the loading areas if they just changed the model of the crate once in a while. There were areas where it made absolutely no sense for that exact same crate to be there.

Or if they wanted to go one step above, make a mini game out of it, like piling up smaller items or something.

Ascenion

It's at least way better than Talbot in the sense that it requires some amount of actually paying attention. With Talbot it's so easy to just go autopilot. Not to mention Talbot's fight is much less exciting. It's a little fun to play but man it's not really the way to end a game. At least this fight is more visually indicative that, "this is the final boss."
True enough, crushing not withstanding, because Talbot without button prompts can die in hell. I did like that they took the crushing aspect of that fight and made it better. If you could finish UC3 on crushing, this is nothing. It's telegraphed way better and involves less button mashing. Still ND boss fights are up there with Deus Ex HR in terms of awful.

For those of you who are trophy hunters, want platinum, but don't feel like playing through the game multiple times. There are exploits for speed run, 70% accuracy and if you have a physical copy, crushing...Each of which will take you about 5 minutes to achieve.

I'm going to do it for the speed run trophy I think, hate speed runs. But the others I'll do legit.

Just got to chapter 13 and I realize that the thing that makes chapters 14-16 so frustrating is that we already had a lengthy chapter
solely dedicated to platforming and talking(chapter 12) followed up by a good amount of platforming in 13 too. However, 13 also had a superb combat arena. Probably the best in the game up until that point.

By the time you get to chapter 14, you're hoping for the game to continue
with more encounters like that, but instead you're left with 2 slow levels in a row(14&15) with little interesting gameplay-wise and you realize the pacing just sucks to the point of hilarity or anger when they throw an overlong young Drake section at you that would've been better regulated to a cutscene. It also makes you roll your eyes at how obvious it is that they threw it in to capture that Left Behind-feel, but it is much weaker and a part of the main game rather than a side story.

Keep in mind that this is after the slow opening third so by that point you're just like get on with the damn game already. And yes the ending of 15 is good, but that's not enough to make up for everything else. I actually like chapter 12&13 as well as the opening third, but the pacing is just totally off once you get to 14-16.
Uncharted 2 and TLoU are much better paced games.

Vire

Just got to chapter 13 and I realize that the thing that makes chapters 14-16 so frustrating is that we already had a lengthy chapter
solely dedicated to platforming and talking(chapter 12) followed up by a good amount of platforming in 13 too. However, 13 also had a superb combat arena. Probably the best in the game up until that point.

with more encounters like that, but instead you're left with 2 slow levels in a row(14&15) with little interesting gameplay-wise and you realize the pacing just sucks to the point of hilarity or anger when they throw an overlong young Drake section at you that would've been better regulated to a cutscene. It also makes you roll your eyes at how obvious it is that they threw it in to capture that Left Behind-feel, but it is much weaker and a part of the main game rather than a side story.

Keep in mind that this is after the slow opening third so by that point you're just like get on with the damn game already. And yes the ending of 15 is good, but that's not enough to make up for everything else. I actually like chapter 12&13 as well as the opening third, but the pacing is just totally off once you get to 14-16.
I feel like 12, while beautiful is the most frustratingly paced chapter in the game. You could have cut out half the platforming nonsense with Sam and I would have felt satisfied.

Harlequin

I honestly liked that there was less combat and that you could get around many of the combat encounters with stealth.
I actually got pretty frustrated when they threw all those open firefights at you towards the end (chapter 20-21, I think?).
But then, I've always played Uncharted despite it being so combat-heavy so I'm probably not what you'd call the average Uncharted player.

Even the platforming in this game was better. I mean, it's still horribly simplistic and automatic, of course, compared to platforming systems like Mirror's Edge's or the classic Tomb Raiders' but at points it was actually, genuinely fun which is more than I can say for any of the platforming sections in the first three Uncharted games. I particularly loved the section with all the sliding slopes in chapter 9
(Scotland)

I feel like 12, while beautiful is the most frustratingly paced chapter in the game. You could have cut out half the platforming nonsense with Sam and I would have felt satisfied.

For better or worse, I'd say 12's pacing was intentional. It's also the most overt chapter in having you
find some dead-ends

Funny thing is I didn't feel the same. I felt engrossed in the story already and really enjoyed being there, exploring all that beautiful detail
on the island.
I'd be sad if chapter 12 would have been just a cutscene because what made it memorable was letting you explore it.

I literally JUST beat this on Crushing. Whole thing in spoilers.

So I leaned over the cliff to shoot the shirt guy directly below me. Ran ahead onto the beam to do a vertical melee takedown on the helmet guy below. Took cover on the mast. Blindfired to kill the guy inevitably climbing up and from that point on I took my time. Then once the second wave hit, I did a mad dash to gather ammo and the the M-whatever Custom and then clambered up back to the initial position where you spawn.

The cover will be gone, so just hang off the ledge to get health back and wait for moments to ping guys with the custom. The big gunners and melee guys can't climb, so you can grenade them til their helmets fly off and ping 'em with whatever small arms you have left. I honestly sat and let Elana do some shooting for a bit, she CAN kill guys, it just takes time. It took a WHILE but it eventually worked out.

Godspeed, man.

There's a Revolver near the front left of the map from where you start, down in front of where the snipers are perched. It's just sitting on a wall and will come preloaded with 6 shots. Save your grenades and this gun for the final wave. Also, if you get up high, the chain gun wielding armoured brutes can't actually climb to get to you. They will instead group up towards this one spot on the map, down and left of where the entire encounter first starts. Just lob a few grenades there and they'll lose all their armour. After that you can just headshot them for easy kills. Once these two big ass brutes are out the way, the rest is not so bad.

See above. Also, when the last wave is arriving, after you grab the revolver and any ammo for your main gun, climb up to the top near where the encounter first started. There's a spot on the right where you can take cover along a wall and slide around. You're still fully standing, and it's not really a cover spot rather just the side of the wall, but it's a great spot where you can not only take cover, but be free from any grenade throws.
Thank you for the help guys. I managed to cheese the section. I don't feel about it since the game was playing dirty at this point.

At the very least, even if it was loading purposes... Mix it up some with some other menial task. Why is the same crate with wheels scattered across the entire world? For the painstaking efforts they made to try and justify everything in this game and make it feel more grounded, it seemed ultra silly/eyerollworthy everytime one of those crate sequences came about.

Especially since Sam has a rope in his back pocket haha. Just throw the damn rope down.

I appreciated the couple of times it bucked that trend, whether it was on purpose or not.
Once when Drake calls out for Sam and he doesn't answer so you find your own way up. The other time when you're looking for something to drop to Elena near the end of the game, it's a bookshelf, not a box

You actually do fight significantly less, I tracked my stats while doing the entire collection and this one.

Enemies Killed:

UC1 - 777
UC2 - 958
UC3 - 720
UC4 - 524

It's less fighting on top of the fighting being more spread out as well.
My final kill count was 1200 something

Then again, that was me dying a lot and having to repeat scenarios because fuck crushing

zsynqx

I appreciated the couple of times it bucked that trend, whether it was on purpose or not.
Once when Drake calls out for Sam and he doesn't answer so you find your own way up. The other time when you're looking for something to drop to Elena near the end of the game, it's a bookshelf, not a box

They really need to do this more if they insist on keeping these repetitive boost and pallet sequences. They did it once in TLOU where Ellie didn't respond to the boost before the
giraffe sequence.
More stuff like that please Naughty Dog.

Proxy

Damn this might just be the best looking video game I've ever seen. I've only just gotten to
Scotland
, but the
Avery's tomb
area is ridiculously gorgeous. The image quality is absolutely pristine, the only other game I can think of that can even come close is The Order; which is amazing considering just how much larger in scope U4 is in comparison.

Damn this might just be the best looking video game I've ever seen. I've only just gotten to
Scotland
, but the
Avery's tomb
area is ridiculously gorgeous. The image quality is absolutely pristine, the only other game I can think of that can even come close is The Order; which is amazing considering just how much larger in scope U4 is in comparison.

You really haven't seen anything yet. The later chapters are visually jaw-dropping. This is the first game to blow me away from a graphical standpoint in five or six years.

Vire

You really haven't seen anything yet. The later chapters are visually jaw-dropping. This is the first game to blow me away from a graphical standpoint in five or six years.
Longer than that for me.

Gave me the same feeling I had when I first played Gears of War 1.

I kind of really hate how you can't play as different characters in the single-player mode. I mean, I get that the cutscenes would be messed up and the facial animations likely wouldn't work but I don't really give a fuck about that. I just wanna play as Rafe :(. Really hoping they'll patch that functionality in.

I kind of hate that skins from the previous games aren't available for the single-player mode. There goes my dream of playing with Fortune Drake, Among Thieves Drake, and Desert Drake...

Actually, there are some glitches/issues regarding the current skins in the single-player.

- Drake isn't properly reflected in the mirror if you use a different skin. [cf. chapter 4]

- Some clipping with the primary weapons. [nothing major]
- Lack of proper holster for your secondary.
- Some cut-scenes don't suit some skins [was expected but nothing dramatic]

For those of you who are trophy hunters, want platinum, but don't feel like playing through the game multiple times. There are exploits for speed run, 70% accuracy and if you have a physical copy, crushing...Each of which will take you about 5 minutes to achieve.

I'm going to do it for the speed run trophy I think, hate speed runs. But the others I'll do legit.
The accuracy exploit didn't work for me. When I start a new game my accuracy stat carries over from my original save. Am I missing a step? The speed run worked.

Top Bottom